Main > Woodworking

Accident At Work - Lesson to Everyone

<< < (14/14)

Viktory2k1:
 I'm a little late on this but want to  know how hes doing. Ironicly, I just bought a router today! I haven't opened it yet and I also bought a 18 g air nailer/stapler. Just 8 hours ago! I have used a router before and am pretty good at safety but it's when you least expect it, it happens.
I had a good scare with my 24" 60cc chainsaw awhile back. I was helping a neighbor do some brush clearing around his horse pasture and I was wearing insulated coveralls in the dead of summer(there were lots of wasps). This saw isn't the lightest and I just shut it off and started walking out with it when I saw a wasp on my hand, I don't know what I did but I cut a large hole through to coveralls and pants and scratched my leg with a non running chainsaw! I can't imagine what would have happened if it was running.
Kind of chilling.

bungy:
It's been a long time since I've been on this board, but I still think about this thread a lot.  I bought a router nearly 10 years ago to build my MAME cabinet, and I've used it many times since for home improvement projects and such.  I just finished up a kitchen project that needed a lot of router work.  The lessons from the OP about always using two hands, and always using sharp bits are forever ingrained in my head because of this thread.  Thanks for posting this toolaa, wherever you are.  Hope all is well.

toolaa:

--- Quote from: bungy on June 25, 2018, 10:31:19 pm ---It's been a long time since I've been on this board, but I still think about this thread a lot.  I bought a router nearly 10 years ago to build my MAME cabinet, and I've used it many times since for home improvement projects and such.  I just finished up a kitchen project that needed a lot of router work.  The lessons from the OP about always using two hands, and always using sharp bits are forever ingrained in my head because of this thread.  Thanks for posting this toolaa, wherever you are.  Hope all is well.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for keeping safety in mind at all times.   I still think about it too every day.  I remind my staff often about the dangers. 

Sadly a former employee of mine left to start his own company a few years ago.  He lost control of a 3hp Router and ran a 1-1/2 tall full bullnose bit into his left wrist.   He is left handed too.  He lost significant motion in his hand.  I visited him in the hospital and still keep in touch.  He’s doing well but we’ll but still copes with a life altering injury. 

Be Safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

per_aspera:
Sorry to hear that, man! Though, happy to know that now you're OK.
I once had a kickback incident on a 10" 3hp saw. I became a bit pre-occupied and careless when cutting some 2" wide pieces of oak. In an instant a board kicked back, whizzed just past my face, and was thrown with enough force that it splintered, with part imbedded into the rafters on the ceiling (I was in the basement). Needless to say that it scarred the hell out of me.

Hydrolisk1792:
Something else to add to this post.  I'm the project manager at my event company and I'm constantly fabricating some kind of strange thing or game cabinet.  I was once breaking down some sheet goods for a custom cab and I became distracted from one of my employees asking me a question whilst using the skill saw and wound up nicking my left pointer finger tip.  It was also a bloody B movie show just like the OP.  The next day we all had a meeting and a small power tool safety course that I put together for the team and even the other departments were involved in the meeting!  Since then No one bothers others if they are in the middle of using any power tool, even a palm sander.  Just another momentary lapse of judgment.  Kind of funny that both the OP and I are in high positions at our companies and we were the ones to get hurt...  Just goes to show you that a job title does not make you immune from mistake!   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version