Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PowerMame 105.0.1 on Mike's site!  (Read 6547 times)

southpaw13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
PowerMame 105.0.1 on Mike's site!
« on: April 13, 2006, 08:38:25 am »
105 popped up...
Great work Mike!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 10:49:44 pm by MikeQ »

MikeQ

Re: PowerMame 105 on Mike's site!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 09:39:24 am »
I've done very little testing so treat this as a beta.  I don't have a lot of time right now to keep up with the forums so email any bug issues to mikeq@unappliedbraincells.com.

The PowerMAME part is fairly well tested since it is basically 104.2.0.  However, I haven't tested the PowerMAME features again since the merge with 105.  I ran a couple games and everything seemed fine but didn't spend more than 15-20 minutes with it.

There is also a new video of the speech feature on the demos page.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2006, 10:20:49 am »
Holy crap!  That voice feature is amazing! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 10:25:48 am »
Just an FYI, I believe the Speech only works on Win XP systems.

MikeQ

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2006, 10:52:21 am »
Just an FYI, I believe the Speech only works on Win XP systems.

I haven't tried but you should be able to install the SAPI5 SDK on any Windows OS and the speech stuff will work.   Windows XP has SAPI5 support already installed.

Also, if you install the SAPI5 SDK, you will get additional voices that aren't installed on a base installation of Windows XP.

you can get the SAPI5 downloads here:

http://www.microsoft.com/speech/download/sdk51/

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2006, 10:54:57 am »
Holy crap!  That voice feature is amazing! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Haven't used it yet, but the video looks great.  I assume you can use any button to activate it right?  I can't wait till my cocktail table is done to try everything out.  Great Job Mike.
I b**ch. People listen!!

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2006, 10:55:53 am »
Dear MikeQ:   :applaud:   :applaud:   :applaud:

- The speech feature is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME!

One question: Can the voice be synched so that it's speaking the control name *while* the button is lit (as opposed to 1 sec after it)?

Would that just be a matter of designing your own LWA file for the button announcement?

mrC
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 10:59:12 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

MikeQ

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2006, 11:34:59 am »
Dear MikeQ:   :applaud:   :applaud:   :applaud:

- The speech feature is AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWESOME!

One question: Can the voice be synched so that it's speaking the control name *while* the button is lit (as opposed to 1 sec after it)?

Would that just be a matter of designing your own LWA file for the button announcement?

mrC

The control name is spoken, then the control flashes.   It must be done this way because the speech is blocking.  I could light the control first (no flashing, just static) and then speak the name but you would loose the flash.  I could also light the control speak the name and the flash.

Brewser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2006, 02:01:48 pm
  • Fighting the forces of evil since 1978
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 02:45:37 pm »
What is the voice feature? I PowerMame and noticed this as a setting but what is it? I am not sure what it does because I don't hear any speech.

MikeQ

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 02:49:12 pm »
What is the voice feature? I PowerMame and noticed this as a setting but what is it? I am not sure what it does because I don't hear any speech.

Hit the pause button.  PowerMAME will speak the arcade accurate name for each control while it flashes the control.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2006, 03:24:26 pm »
The control name is spoken, then the control flashes.   It must be done this way because the speech is blocking.  I could light the control first (no flashing, just static) and then speak the name but you would loose the flash.  I could also light the control speak the name and the flash.

I'll have to take your word on that! :) I have no idea about the programming and signaling involved. If by lighting the control first *then* speaking the name, could the button to be lit *while* it's control function is being spoken, then maybe that would be my suggested preference.

From an instructional standpoint, if you *miss* the flash, and only hear the control spoken, you'd either have to listen to the controls over again or face making an erroneous assumption about it's function. ie: I think it would be most efficient to have the button lit solidly, while the control is spoken.

I may be completely misunderstanding what you've said, so bear with me.  ;)

mrC
« Last Edit: April 13, 2006, 03:26:29 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

MikeQ

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »

I'll have to take your word on that! :) I have no idea about the programming and signaling involved. If by lighting the control first *then* speaking the name, could the button to be lit *while* it's control function is being spoken, then maybe that would be my suggested preference.

From an instructional standpoint, if you *miss* the flash, and only hear the control spoken, you'd either have to listen to the controls over again or face making an erroneous assumption about it's function. ie: I think it would be most efficient to have the button lit solidly, while the control is spoken.

mrC

No, you got it.  If I light the control before speaking, it will remain lit through the speech.  It doesn't require constant communication with the LEDWiz to keep the control lit.

I'll test this idea out and see how it looks.

MikeQ

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 10:49:19 pm »

mrC

No, you got it.  If I light the control before speaking, it will remain lit through the speech.  It doesn't require constant communication with the LEDWiz to keep the control lit.

I'll test this idea out and see how it looks.

I made this change.  I flash the control before speaking and then leave it on through the speech sequence.  It is up on site as a new version 105.0.1

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
Re: PowerMame 105.0.1 on Mike's site!
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 11:18:45 pm »
You rock!   :cheers:

mrC