Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I wire this Power Entry Module?  (Read 4597 times)

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
How do I wire this Power Entry Module?
« on: March 31, 2006, 07:15:13 pm »
Ok, so I ordered a power entry module and I want to install it. What I have is the power entry module and a power strip. I want to cut the plug off the power strip and wire it to the entry module.

I have 5 quick connects on the back of the power module. They are labeled A B C D there is another disconnect on the lower portion of the plug.

Before I snip off this plug and potentially ruin this power strip, can anyone tell me how this guy gets wired up?

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
Re: How do I wire this Power Entry Module?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 07:48:39 pm »
I don't have the full answer but, since I have this same module, I'll tell you what I've figured out using my multi-meter

The "fifth pin" (the one at the bottom) is the ground.  It's wired directly to the 'bottom' pin on a grounded AC plug/outlet

Of the four at the top... I admit to being a bit confused.  TWO of them (a and b, I think... I don't remember for sure) are connected to the other two holes in the front of your plug.   The trick is that both of those are fused.  Meaning that you need to put two fuses into the "module" to get them to connect from the holes in the front to the pins in the back.

I don't know what the other two (of the four) pins are for.   That being said, I don't have any fuses in mine either.  I just poked around with my multimeter on "continuity" to figure out what was connected to what.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 08:04:11 pm »
so when I cut off the end of this surge protector, there will be 3 wires.

I put the ground on the bottom pin and then would I be safe to plug the remaining two wires to A and B?

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to these things. I know nearly nothing when it comes to electricity.

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2006, 08:19:21 pm »
so when I cut off the end of this surge protector, there will be 3 wires.

I put the ground on the bottom pin and then would I be safe to plug the remaining two wires to A and B?

Something like that, but you definitely want to double-check to make sure it's really A and B.

Excuse my ignorance when it comes to these things. I know nearly nothing when it comes to electricity.

No problem, it's better to ask than fry something.   The best way to think about it is just as 'straight wires' from one piece to the next.  You have an outlet and you have plugs.  You just want everything to line up properly.  So, these would be the steps I'd take.

(1) get some fuses for the module.  Without any fuses in there, nothing will connect to anything.
(2) test the continuity with a multi meter.  If you don't have one, you should get one.   I say this because (2a) they're cheap and (2b) they can do a lot of things to help prevent you from blowing stuff up :)
(3) After cutting the plug off of the power strip, attach the 'wide prong' wire to the back of the module.  Attach it to tab that connects to the wide-prong hole in the front of the module
(4) Take the 'skinny prong' wire from the power strip and attach it to the tab that connects to the skinny-prong-hole in the front of the module.
(5) attach the ground.

Actually, I'd attach quick-disconnects to your wires.  The square tabs on the back of the power module look like they're the size and shape of .25 qd's.  It will just make the connecting of wires a simpler process than trying to get in between each tab with a soldering iron or whatever.

A multi meter, the quick disconnects, a crimping tool (to attach the qd's) and fuses can all be had at your local Home Depot or Lowes.  But, if you wanna save some money, you can get the $3 multi-meter from Harbor Frieght.  Heck, you might be able to get all the stuff from Harbor Frieght.

The only thing that bothers me is that I don't know what the other two tabs are for or are connected to.  Like I said, I think it'll be easier to figure out once I have some fuses in there.
-- Chad Tower

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2006, 08:27:33 pm »
Thanks for the good info.

I didn't realize it didn't come with fuses. You probably just saved me 2 hours of work. I guess I can pick them up at Lowes. I'll let you know the results. Thanks again!

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 09:13:30 pm »
Thanks for the good info.

I didn't realize it didn't come with fuses. You probably just saved me 2 hours of work.

Just in case you haven't done it yet, to get to the fuses, you have to pull that red part out.   A tiny screwdriver (flathead jeweler's kind of small) will pop open the 'door' and then you can slide out the red plastic fuse-holder.  You might want to keep in mind which side goes "up".  I don't know if the red holder slides in and out in either direction, but the top and the bottom are different (again, if I remember correctly).   

I guess I can pick them up at Lowes.

You might want to take the fuse holder with you to make sure you get the correctly sized fuses.  That was my plan, at least.  I'd hate to get home and find out the ones I got were too short or something.

I'll let you know the results. Thanks again!

Hey man, I'll thank you if you get to testing this before I do.  I've had the thing sitting on my shelf for months and months now.  I keep thinking about picking up some fuses and doing some wiring exactly as you've described, but haven't gotten around to it.   

FWIW, I think that it says to get 6Amp fuses.  Again, I don't remember, but I think there's some kind of info printed on the side of the module that suggests 6 amp fuses.  I also think that the plug itself is rated to handle 10 amps.    Since (I believe) each of the 'blades' of the plug will have their own fuse I don't know if over 6 amps would blow one or if you'd have to pull 12 amps to blow either.   I know some things about electricity, but I've never seen an AC plug that had an individual fuse for each line.    My guess is that over 6amps will blow one of the fuses, but maybe somebody with more electrical experience can clear that up for me.

Let us know how it works out.
-- Chad Tower

Zeosstud

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 22, 2024, 04:16:28 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:13:56 am »
I got the power switch installed this evening.  For anyone thats curious, the Black is the middle bottom, the 4 prongs on the top back are listed as A B C D.  A = White  B = Green.  The fuse housing, it didnt matter how I stuck it back it, it worked both ways so dont worry about it.  The fuses said 13.15 L 250 V  for what thats worth.

Zeosstud

quarterback

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 12:31:26 am »
Also, for anybody who finds this thread via a search, there's a pdf info sheet about this item here that has info including mounting measurements:

http://www.corcom.com/PDF/P.pdf

(thanks to NickG for the link)
-- Chad Tower