Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LCD Hack = Projection TV  (Read 2761 times)

Mark70

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
LCD Hack = Projection TV
« on: December 01, 2006, 08:52:02 pm »
http://www.denguru.com/2004/11/13/supersize_your_tv_for_/index.html

Anyone ever consider making a unit with this rig in it and a PC with tuner card.  Pack it all in a nice piece of millwork, and you have a tv unit.  Heat is going to be the big enemy here, and consequently noise from fans while trying to watch tv.

Compelling idea.  I'd try it if I could get my hands on some free lcds.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
Re: LCD Hack = Projection TV
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 09:41:52 pm »
There's a website that goes by the name www.LumenLab.com that has all sorts information on building something like that.  You have to pay for access to some of the info and forums but if you realy want to pursue BYOProjector it's well worth it.

I signed up over a year ago but decided against building one due to the fact that even lighting from corner to corner is damn near impossible, it's a lot of work and I haven't even finnished the Mame cab that I've been working on for 3 years now and the price of bulbs for commercial projectors is not a large factor for me since the amout of time I would use it which would only be for movies and the rare occasion of a hour or two of gaming it would take 3-5 years to burn out some of the longer life bulbs on the market today.  Oh and the size...  You'd be my hero if you could build one smaller than an average microwave!

P.S.
Wrong Forum
« Last Edit: December 01, 2006, 10:03:26 pm by crashwg »
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Mark70

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 01:07:38 am »
I thought it was a bit of everything type of topic, so I put it here.  I was including the projection hack, as well as the idea of combining it with a TV Tuner PC, or PVR, or PCVR, or Freevo PC, whatever you want to call it.

Good links.

You're right.  It would be large.  I'd expect it to be the size of a bar fridge once you put a pc in there too.

It would also dictate your furniture layout.  I imagine your best projection spot is from centered opposite the wall you're projecting on to; which means splitting the couch.

Hmmmm..  putting it above the suspended ceiling and only the projector head coming down through the ceiling.  hmmmm.  I had been thinking of a floor unit.  If you could make it thin enough to fit between the floor joists and hang down, you could hide the majority of the workings.  Interesting.

... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

edwardvci

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2009, 08:56:49 pm
  • Insert Coin.........!
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:19 pm »
Yes the work fine I like thew one I built but it does put off some heat. If you look close at the projector you will see it is official Mame projector because of the Marble contact paper by the lens :laugh2:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 02:29:04 pm by edwardvci »

Mark70

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2006, 04:58:55 pm »
what did you use for a lens assembly?  it doesn't look like part of an overhead projector.

AwesomeAlbert

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 28, 2014, 12:14:28 am
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2006, 11:16:11 pm »
Many years ago when projectors averaged about $2000 I decided to attempt to build my own for a fraction of the cost.  Went to Home Depot and bought two security lights from lights of America and a lens from eBay.

http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm

I tried to copy the projector on the left (link is dead now), got a blurry picture that kept bleeding with the heat.  (Great job edwardvci !)

I then bought a CTX Ezrpro 550 on eBay for $250.  Not a state of the art machine but decent for my budget.  I chose this machine because it runs on overhead projector style bulbs that ran about $30, I bought a box of 12 on eBay for $20 (have gone through 3).  Replacement bulbs for other better/brighter machines would run about $300-$400.  I couldn’t afford a new machine, buying a used projector (brighter and better resolution than the one I got) and risking the bulb burning out wasn’t cost efficient.

Trying to make a projector imo isn’t worth it anymore.  Projectors are so much better and less expensive than they used to be.  I seen low end models for about $500 that are way better than anything that I can ever build.  There are toy projectors like the ZoomBox (with build in DVD player) that run for $250.  Replacement bulbs also dropped dramatically in price.  I think you are better off buying a new projector even if its low end than trying to build one. Buy a used one on eBay if you can’t afford a new one (I did).

Going back to this post (the link), they used to sell computer projector panels designed to be put on an overhead projector. You don’t have to hack a LCD screen (yes, hacking is more fun sometimes) making one with a build in pc and TV tuner? Too heavy and bulky, I hang mine on the ceiling! I have a 25’ foot vga cord.

Relating it to this forum (BYOAC not BYO projector), two weeks ago I hooked up the laptop to the projector, played Capcom vs. Marvel with my buddy Rudy on the 6ft screen in the garage. We were pretty much evenly matched.  The kids of the neighborhood think I’m the coolest guy that ever lived (I still didn’t let any of  them play).

edwardvci

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2009, 08:56:49 pm
  • Insert Coin.........!
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2006, 08:40:46 am »
The lens came from Lumalab. It has a Gutted LCD screen that had a bad back light. and uses a 400 watt metal-halide bulb which helps keep the color true. The screen is 10 feet wide and 7 tall. I have projected on a gym wall before and the image was was about 18 feet tall.

You can now buy some projectors cheaper than you can build one, But they are fun to build and its nice to hear people say "You built that ?? Wow" ;D

lloydcom

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 08:55:30 am »
I have an old carousel slide projector from Kodak that I have kept to make a similar project.

In my mind I wanted to hack one of those Casio handheld TV sets and insert the LCD (with the backing removed) within the 35mm housing.

Could this be done, or would the heat factor just melt the LCD?

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 12:29:35 pm »
In my mind I wanted to hack one of those Casio handheld TV sets and insert the LCD (with the backing removed) within the 35mm housing.

Not a great idea..... Not only would you have heat problems focusing the light onto a very small LCD. But those hand held TV's simply don't have the pixel resolution that you'll need to be able to project the image. It'll look terrible.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2006, 01:14:55 pm »
I have an old carousel slide projector from Kodak that I have kept to make a similar project.

Could this be done, or would the heat factor just melt the LCD?

I've seen several of those, and considered making my own but decided against it. With a 30" projection, you will barely be able to watch it.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2006, 01:21:11 pm »

Now that you can find real LCD projectors for $500 with a little hunting, is this sort of project all that viable anymore?

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 01:28:16 pm »

Now that you can find real LCD projectors for $500 with a little hunting, is this sort of project all that viable anymore?

Depends on how much your time is worth...

Bulbs for a BYO Projector are 10% the cost of commercial ones and you can build a pretty decent one for less than $500.  From what I've seen you can build something for $400 that is as good or better than an $800 unit.
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2006, 01:34:51 pm »

Sounds reasonable.  I guess if you already have the parts lying around, like with a MAME cab. 

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2006, 03:55:57 pm »
I looked into building one ages ago... Then just bought one.

A lot of the decision not to build was because I never got a good answer if I could mount on the ceiling, and keystoning.  But that was because I knew I couldn't put it on the floor in my living room (wife).

I really wanted to see if there was any cheap ways to make a projector using cheap bulbs for doing a dual projector + polarized lights in a small box to make a true 3d monitor... but that project didn't make it too far.

but for 600 bucks you can get a great projector that has a LOT of options (including hidef input ect) so make sure you don't spend more then that.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2006, 03:58:00 pm »
A lot of the decision not to build was because I never got a good answer if I could mount on the ceiling, and keystoning. 

I would imagine a bunch of 1920s cops running around in circles would annoy me too.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2006, 05:33:23 pm »
LOL

A lot of the decision not to build was because I never got a good answer if I could mount on the ceiling, and keystoning. 
I would imagine a bunch of 1920s cops running around in circles would annoy me too.

whatzcrackn

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 12:14:02 pm
  • U just won tickets to da 'GUN SHOW'
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2006, 06:50:31 pm »
http://www.diyprojectorkits.com/

they sell the shells, you just need the guts.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2006, 07:14:35 pm »

I think that's what it says on the front of the local Army surplus store.

whatzcrackn

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2019, 12:14:02 pm
  • U just won tickets to da 'GUN SHOW'
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2006, 08:22:53 pm »

I think that's what it says on the front of the local Army surplus store.

LOL  8)