Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Grid Wars - 5/5 Stars (Pictures Included)  (Read 26064 times)

tetsu96

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 11, 2009, 10:53:24 pm
  • MAME On...
    • My Old Cabinet / MAME32 build site
Grid Wars - 5/5 Stars (Pictures Included)
« on: March 29, 2006, 01:54:08 am »
My first review - not normally my thing but after spending 24 hours with this game, it'd kill me not to share it with the community here.

This probably can be considered "Geometry Wars" for the PC.  In fact, I went hunting for info on Geometry wars after playing this and the screenshots looked very similar.  You've got your ship, you've got power ups, and you've got everything else which you've got to shoot the heck out of.  Good mindless fun here, quick to get into and hard to put down.

Graphics: Simple yet effective.  Actually, the bloom effect really helps give more of a vector monitor feel (let me know the second this works on a true vector monitor).  It's quite scalable too as you can play windowed or full screen, and the resolution and playfield can adjust in size as well - looks great on my Betson at 800x600, and scales up to (and far beyond) 1920x1200 for playing native on some of today's widescreen monitors.

Sound: What's there you need?  There's a retro soundtrack to the game (including Arkanoid samples on the title screen soundtrack if I'm not mistaken), and effects / explosions.  Fits the game as it should.

Controls: Defaults to Dual Analog, but you've got the choice of mouse, keyboard, joystick, and hybrid as well.  After selecting keyboard, I was able to configure each key to use both of my joysticks (with 1 extra input needing configuration for the Bomb button).

Gameplay: This is a lot of fun.  I just recently started getting used to the dual joystick lovin of games like Robotron and this works just like that (with smart bombs).  You move in 1 direction and shoot iindependently of that direction.  Enemies pop up from all sides, and as the game continues it gets more and more frantic.  1 thing to note - rapid fire is turned on by default.  If you want to be able to stop shooting, then this should be disabled, otherwise you'll constantly shoot in the last direction you aimed.

The worst thing I had happen was when I'd try to set off my bombs, I had to reach to button 1 on the 1P side (I mapped it there).  A button on top of the joystick would be the perfect for this, but you play with the control panel you got.

This seems to be new as the date listed in the title screen is 3/13/06, so let's hope that there's more updates for this.  I'd love to see this fixed up to accept coins and play games based off of credits (as well as bring up the main menu only when hitting a key not used on the default CP config), but turning the game into a coin op may have it's own issues if people think it's intended for commercial use...  I dunno.

So here's linkage, and enjoy:
http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/

And Images:

« Last Edit: November 05, 2007, 09:40:50 pm by saint »

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: Grid Wars - 5/5 Stars (Pictures Included)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2006, 03:25:38 am »
That's aweseome, I love these kinds of games.  Thanks!

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2006, 01:24:25 am »
I've been playing this some more.  Wow, it's super-configurable.  You can add a user soundset if you don't like the existing sound, and there are a huge number of tweaks you can make to the graphics to make the game look the way you like.  The controls are super tweak-able, too.  A dual-analog gamepad seems to be the best setup, or maybe dual 49-ways or a pair of analog sticks, if you've got those available.  With digital joys, you're always tied to the 8 directions and fullspeed, but if you've got the dual-analog setup, you get finer control.

Bonus:  it starts right up in attract mode, with no menus.  (You do get menus if you press gamepad button 8)  This makes it look good in a cab.

Oh, and I couldn't pass up the chance to plug Mutant Storm to anybody who likes this one.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 04:03:50 am by Kremmit »

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2006, 02:53:45 pm »
Heh.  Found another Geometry Wars clone called Grid Assault, get it here:
http://www.shmup-dev.com/index.php?categoryid=9&p13_sectionid=1&p13_fileid=15&s=

It looks a lot like Grid Wars, and it's the same basic idea, but it feels different.  I'm digging both.

Hey, does anybody read this forum?  :blah:

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:03:08 am »
Hey, I love Grid Wars, too! Found this thread while looking for info on analog joysticks. (I'm trying to decide if it's worth it to put an analog joystick in my micro cab.)

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 02:44:33 am »
just an update here folks..... Looks like Blizzard Creations and Micro$haft have once again stepped on the little guy. If you goto the site http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/ for this great FREE game you'll now see this posted: "Sorry folks... I've had to remove the link to the download.
Email from BizarreCreations:
"We're beginning to feel the effects of the Geometry Wars clones on our sales via Microsoft now and are beginning a process to begin to more robustly protect our copyright and intellectual property.
Therefore, I'd like to ask you in an amicable fashion to stop infringing our IP and pull the game 'Grid Wars' from the internet for download.
I hope you understand and are able to do this without us having to take further steps." "

Now once again, I still question as to how this is killing xbox and xbox360 sales of this game, when neither company produces a PC VERSION!!! All I know is, if you have a copy of the game, or not, make sure you get it. Google is your friend, and it definitely deserves to be on your cabinet seeing as it was FREE. Now go get it!! Game On.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 01:06:55 am »
 :lame:

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2006, 02:06:29 pm »
Theres a "Grid Wars 2" that seems to be by the same author, although it's not on his original site...

http://demonews.com/download.php?det=1485

It looks for the most part identical to the screenshots above.

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 11:32:13 am
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 07:04:46 am »
 It toally :lame: !!!!!

It a great game, the only downside is you can really mess that game with the "settings" options, wich can't been disabled.

But since sourcecode was included, and I use BlitzMax as my primary Language, I have created a new exe with disabled "Settings and "Sure" screen.

http://www.arcademusicbox.com/files/other/gridwars.zip

Now this  game should been 100% cabinet safe.

NB. Remember to test exe with your antivirus app first.

Decade Old Work: MultiFE, ArcadeMusicBox
Today Works: Various Spectrum Next games from Rusty Pixels and html5 games.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?

Skadar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 07, 2017, 02:20:01 pm
  • I love my new Corsair keyboard: RRRrrrrrr!!!!
    • Ooine.com
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 11:10:49 am »
Wow, found this thread yesterday, found Grid Wars 2 and put it on my cabinet.

THANK YOU!

What a blast this game is to play.  And I love how configurable it is.  I'm not sure which control scheme I like better, two joysticks or a left joystick + 4 directional fire buttons.

This game is a lot like Mutant Storm, which I have purchased and installed.  Both games are excellent.

Cheers,
Skadar

Sir Auros

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 06, 2012, 12:13:00 pm
    • The Transformers Archive
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2007, 01:04:10 am »
Wow, I know this is an old thread, but saying MS and Bizarre Creations were stepping on the little guy when they were protecting their property is one of the most asinine things I've read in a long time.

pmc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 20, 2023, 07:43:02 am
    • website
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2007, 01:24:18 pm »
It's funny this should bump to the top for several of us at nearly the same time. I independently "discovered" Grid Wars while surfing the net at lunch today. After spending an evening playing Spheres of Chaos (a cabinet friendly asteroids clone that'll leave you dizzy), I was hunting for more like it.

The indygamer site Kremmit posted is great. There's lots of stuff there I want to check out.

Grid Wars is going onto my cab tonight...

-pmc

Agent Davis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2008, 04:14:41 pm
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 07:58:17 pm »
What's up NIVO!?  Hey, I'm all for rooting for the little guy, but when a game is a blatent rip-off of a current title, they should and need to protect their IP.  It's not a matter of if the game is on a different format as someone suggested.  That said, I'll be checking this one out on my arcade cab!   ;D

just an update here folks..... Looks like Blizzard Creations and Micro$haft have once again stepped on the little guy. If you goto the site http://www.incitti.com/Blitz/ for this great FREE game you'll now see this posted: "Sorry folks... I've had to remove the link to the download.
Email from BizarreCreations:
"We're beginning to feel the effects of the Geometry Wars clones on our sales via Microsoft now and are beginning a process to begin to more robustly protect our copyright and intellectual property.
Therefore, I'd like to ask you in an amicable fashion to stop infringing our IP and pull the game 'Grid Wars' from the internet for download.
I hope you understand and are able to do this without us having to take further steps." "

Now once again, I still question as to how this is killing xbox and xbox360 sales of this game, when neither company produces a PC VERSION!!! All I know is, if you have a copy of the game, or not, make sure you get it. Google is your friend, and it definitely deserves to be on your cabinet seeing as it was FREE. Now go get it!! Game On.

MikeQ

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2007, 08:14:09 pm »
Wow, I know this is an old thread, but saying MS and Bizarre Creations were stepping on the little guy when they were protecting their property is one of the most asinine things I've read in a long time.

Geometry Wars is basically Robotron on steroids so who's stealing from who?

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2007, 11:08:44 am »
I played that on at Best Buy and that game is frikkin awesome looking in HD. I did feel like a color vector game.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007, 04:07:46 pm »

Geometry Wars is basically Robotron on steroids so who's stealing from who?

I'm not so sure it's stealing of IP either.  This guy programmed the thing from scratch in the style of geometry wars.  It's not like anything was really "stolen", just similar.  Using that logic, there would only be one 3D first person shooter game, one MMO style fantasy game, etc.  That's probably why it was such an informal "cease and desist".  I'd be interested to hear from a copyright lawyer on this.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2007, 09:09:43 am »
I'm not so sure it's stealing of IP either.  This guy programmed the thing from scratch in the style of geometry wars. 

IP is not limited to actual source code.  Copyrights extend out to design as well.  That's why you can sue the makers of KC Munchkin if you are the makers of Pac Man.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2007, 04:37:44 pm »
Where do you draw the line though?  Blizzard Creations could probably be sued by Williams (or whatever company they have become) for the same reasons since this is obviously a Robotron remake.

GAtekwriter

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2011, 09:55:44 am
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2007, 04:10:20 pm »
I'd like to add to the debate the following - if you look at Galaga, it was simply Space Invaders but with diving enemies.  One could argue that all the best video games out there probably took a basic idea and made it better.  I will say that this one does look like a fairly close clone of GeoW, but there's enough differences in look and feel that I won't lose sleep playing it.

Jim

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2007, 04:47:32 pm »
Where do you draw the line though?  Blizzard Creations could probably be sued by Williams (or whatever company they have become) for the same reasons since this is obviously a Robotron remake.

20 years is easily enough time for the line to have been obliterated.  Pac Man is no longer a highly innovative and profitable concept in terms of gameplay... in 1980, you better believe it was.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2007, 07:51:21 pm »
20 years is easily enough time for the line to have been obliterated.  Pac Man is no longer a highly innovative and profitable concept in terms of gameplay...

But from what it looks like, Robotron (albeit with edits) is, no?

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2007, 09:49:42 am »

Keep in mind Robotron wasn't exactly a pioneering control scheme even when it first came out.  It was right around the same time as Black Widow and there has always been debate about which company actually came up with that design first.

melarky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2020, 12:49:22 pm
  • If I could be any animal, I would be a llama
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2007, 02:02:45 pm »
I finally got around to installing this on my cabinet.  Thanks for the review.

I have geometry wars on my xbox, and so I have played both, and while they do look similar, and play similar, they are different games.   I think geometry wars wins hands down on the "graphics" front (not saying grid wars looks bad, but the effects are clearly higher quality on geometry wars).  Game play wise, I think I actually like grid wars better though.  I feel like my acheivements in grid wars are far more often contributed to skill rather than luck, and it always feels the opposite with geometry wars.

Again, I like both games, and I play both games, but they are definately different enough to make them a different experience.  Thanks again for the review.

melarky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2008, 09:09:23 pm »

It a great game, the only downside is you can really mess that game with the "settings" options, wich can't been disabled.

But since sourcecode was included, and I use BlitzMax as my primary Language, I have created a new exe with disabled "Settings and "Sure" screen.

I am still playing and loving this game.  I found out I had an older version of the code a while back and finally found a newer one (still don't know if I have the latest since there isn't much info out there about the game).

I wonder if you could modify it with BlitzMax to use more mame specific controls (like only bring the settings up if you click tab, and push the player 1 start button to start the game instead of the bomb etc...)

If you haven't tried this game yet, give it a go.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2008, 09:03:46 am »

I am still playing and loving this game.  I found out I had an older version of the code a while back and finally found a newer one (still don't know if I have the latest since there isn't much info out there about the game).

I wonder if you could modify it with BlitzMax to use more mame specific controls (like only bring the settings up if you click tab, and push the player 1 start button to start the game instead of the bomb etc...)

If you haven't tried this game yet, give it a go.

Sorry I diddent see this one. Even do that than never done. Sorry.

I have done it now and changed the code using the newset version (I diddent known it exited a newer version).

ESC is changed to TAB and 1 is now the start button (but BOMB button can still been used) and ESC quit the game directly. Regaadless where you are in the game.

Its on the same URL. Just grab the new one.

melarky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2008, 10:31:33 am »
Space Fractal, you rock, I can't believe how quick you got that done!

I have seriously been thinking about building a cab for these types of games (I am just using 2 8-ways on my current cab now, it's not bad, but it's not ideal).  It would be great to either get a couple of 49way or analog sticks (possibly one with a button on top for the bomb, that would be ideal, but don't know if they exsist, I will start looking now though that there is this great cab friendly version of the game).

I can't wait to get home from work and download and play it...Thanks again Space Fractal.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2008, 01:53:44 pm »
He he, for some reason I misread-ed the date from the post is from February, why I though I was really slow and PM you.

There is also code for exit from joypad buttons, which I should remove (these should could been remap out in config.txt)... But let me known.

NB. I have just uploaded again to remove (include the modified blitzmax file), so only TAB can occur a ESCAPE/OPTIONS menu and not a joystick button (more safe when using joypads) (so the option joypad butons does NOT work anymore). I also hardcoded ESC to quit directly, and 1 key (hardcoded) or bomb button to start the game.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 01:55:28 pm by Space Fractal »

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2020, 08:47:25 pm
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2008, 03:00:17 pm »
Does anybody have this working with two joysticks(U360). I don't seem to be able to configure joystick one for moving and joystick 2 for firing.

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »
There sould been a dual analog joystick setting where you select input method (TAB/settings in the moded code by me). I only have one analog (A PS2 controller with adapter) myself, so I can now cant test it yet.

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2008, 04:03:42 pm »
there is in version 5.4 also, but i can not set it to use both joysticks. i'm not sure what i'm missing, will search around more.

thanks

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 03:56:42 am »
I mod for version 4.1, but just found version 5.4, I mod this version later today. You should select that control shown in the screenshot for dual analog...

Version 5.4 is just patched for arcade cabs.....

Please Note: Sounds is aw full in Vista due its it's lately. I change the sounds FX to only use bass (which is only used for the music).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:57:04 am by Space Fractal »

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 05:50:55 am »
Any posts about the unofficiel version(s) by me should not been posted at this thread:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80123.0

This because this is a review forum, not help forum.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2008, 01:30:44 pm »
Does anybody have this working with two joysticks(U360). I don't seem to be able to configure joystick one for moving and joystick 2 for firing.

And to believe in my infinite vainness that I was the only one. I tried toying with the config for an eternity to no avail. I then stumbled across a thread mentioning XPadder. It's a tool that allows you to map your analog Up/Down/Left/Right to keyboard keys. The App is a little flakey (perhaps not anymore since I just noticed that a new release is out with many fixes) and runs in the background to capture your analog movements and sends a keystroke in it's place. All you need to do then is set up Grid Wars config as if you were using the keyboard.

The only thing that sucks about that is you lose out on analog movement. In other words, the moving and firing is now like Robotron (8 way only).

http://xpadder.com/download.html
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:35:56 pm by (+_+) »
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

Space Fractal

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Space Fractal
    • Space Fractal
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2008, 01:56:54 pm »
Try http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=80123.0 and use the unofficiel patch. Nuka1195 confirmed it works great.

(+_+)

• Let me splain.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 27, 2012, 09:00:32 pm
  • For I am ]{eyser Soze
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 03:15:12 pm »
SF, I'll try this tonight. No more XPadder for Gridwars .   :applaud:

You're the man.  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 03:42:21 pm by (+_+) »
This plan is so perfect, it's retarded. -- Peter Family Guy

nuka1195

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 10:12:17 pm »
If I new how to write good, i would review space fractal's version. it does work great. :)