Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: RGB Led - is it possible to pulse between two varying "non-primary" intensities?  (Read 6204 times)

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
I've been messing with the LumAura Engine, but i'm not sure if this is a LED-Wiz question, a PowerMame question, or a general RGB LED question...

I find that when I try to pulse between, say, orange (a mix of red and green) to full-bright red, the 'intensity' selection grays out and the LED goes from 'yellow' to 'red', rather than from 'orange' to 'red'.

Yellow is the mixture of 100% Green LED and 100% Red LED...so my question is, is it possible to fade from one color 'mixture' to another, if it isn't a 100% intensity of either R, G, or B?

I may be missing a fundamental design issue in regards to LED's. If so, then feel free to pelt me with tiny resistors.

mrC

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
*Pelt.*

There is an intensity setting in PowerMame. See >here<
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 08:15:49 am by Santoro »

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
There is an intensity setting in PowerMame. See >here<

*ouch*

No, I know about that...I've set the intensity, and have mixed a multitude of colors. The problem seems to be that you can't use waveforms with those varying intensities.

Try it...the intensity selection "grays out" when you select a waveform.

So my question remains, is it possible to, say, use a SAW waveform that would go from RED (48) + GREEN (27) (which is essentially 'orange') to RED (48) only?

mrC
« Last Edit: March 29, 2006, 11:55:26 pm by mr.Curmudgeon »

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
I was just messing with it again, and you can't even SAW an orange mixture. It just goes to yellow, which is full RED + full GREEN.

Is this a limitation with LumAura, or a limitation with LED's (and how they emit light)?

mrC
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 12:03:10 am by mr.Curmudgeon »

MikeQ

• Trade Count: (0)
I was just messing with it again, and you can't even SAW an orange mixture. It just goes to yellow, which is full RED + full GREEN.

Is this a limitation with LumAura, or a limitation with LED's (and how they emit light)?

mrC

When you say it won't SAW, do you mean the SAW waveform doesn't happen or that the colors aren't what you expect?

Have you been following the USB problems thread?  You might be seeing randomness from this problem.  What USB chipset are you running?  Are you on a hub?

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
When you say it won't SAW, do you mean the SAW waveform doesn't happen or that the colors aren't what you expect?

It SAW's fine, the colors aren't what I expect.

Have you been following the USB problems thread?  You might be seeing randomness from this problem.  What USB chipset are you running?  Are you on a hub?

I have been following it, and I'll look into that as a potential problem when I get home. I'll post results later tonight.

mrC

MikeQ

• Trade Count: (0)

It SAW's fine, the colors aren't what I expect.

I have been following it, and I'll look into that as a potential problem when I get home. I'll post results later tonight.

mrC

If your SAW'ing then your probably not seeing the problem.  R,G and B work independently?  It's just the color mixing that doesn't seem right?  Are these Randy's RGB LED's or someone elses?

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
Maybe I don't understand and I could be wrong, but I don't think you understand what the SAW is doing.

Taking just one output, the SAW starts from the lowest intensity and ramps up to the highest intensity and then ramps back down to the lowest intensity.  This is why you can't use the intensity controls, because by the definition of the SAW waveform it is changing the intensity.

So what you want to do is use LumAura toprogram a set of sequences and save it.  Looking  at your one post you want:

1. The first frame to be RED (48) + GREEN (27).
2. The second frame to be RED (48).

I forget what the command is for repeat, but someone else can fill that in.  Also, not sure if you wanted to change the duration of each frame.  Should take you 5-10 seconds.

Post should probably be moved to Main, since it has nothing to do with PowerMAME.

mr.Curmudgeon

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Huzzah!
Yeah. Feel free to move this (mods?) if necessary. I'm going to toy around with the LED's more this weekend and see if I can't create the color phasing I'm looking for.

I'll post back with a better example, (maybe a movie or something) if I'm still running into the problem.

mrC