Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Using angled joysticks  (Read 5917 times)

trog_4269

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2007, 05:38:02 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Using angled joysticks
« on: March 27, 2006, 02:00:03 pm »
On my quad panel, the outside P3 and P4 joysticks are at 45 degrees.  For P1 and P2 I purchased 2 49 ways and GPWiz's.  Is there or will there be a way to offset the 49 ways by 45 degrees so that the diagonals are UDLR and UDLR are switch to the diagonals, allowing 2 players to play games such as Smash TV that use 2 joysticks for control? 

Thanks.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: Using angled joysticks
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 02:14:50 pm »
You could re-map the joystick inputs through the tab menu in MAME.  This will work with any version of MAME, not just PowerMAME.

MikeQ

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 02:31:19 pm »
On my quad panel, the outside P3 and P4 joysticks are at 45 degrees.  For P1 and P2 I purchased 2 49 ways and GPWiz's.  Is there or will there be a way to offset the 49 ways by 45 degrees so that the diagonals are UDLR and UDLR are switch to the diagonals, allowing 2 players to play games such as Smash TV that use 2 joysticks for control? 

Thanks.

Yes, PowerMAME supports all the GPWiz49 mode.  You can go into the input menu in PowerMAME and simply choose the diagonal mode.

trog_4269

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 04:12:44 pm »
Thanks for the response.  I didn't realize that was a standard feature in mame.  I though the diagonal setting for the GPwiz was 4 way, not 8 way.

Would it be possible to have this diagonal setting automagically work via in ini file if I specified what games I would like it to work for?

MikeQ

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 04:28:21 pm »
Yes, it is only 4 way.  I misunderstood.  I thought you only wanted 4 way diagonal.  So you want all modes supported but rotated 45 degrees. right? 

That wouldn't be possible.  PowerMAME can only do what the gpwiz supports. 

trog_4269

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 05:30:37 pm »
MikeQ,

I have a slikstik quad panel so the outer 2 sticks (Players 3 and 4) are mounted at a 45 degree angle. 
I was just thinking that if I could rotate the inputs of Player 1 and 2 sticks so that they matched the allighment of the input of the sticks that are at 45 degrees then that would allow me to use player 3 + player1 and player 2 + player 4 to play a 2 player game that uses 2 joys for control for each player like Smash TV. 
Thanks for your help

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2006, 10:59:01 pm »
You can.  I just tried it out on Robotron, with plain vanilla MAME32 and 49-ways, just to make sure I wasn't talking out my bung before.  PowerMAME doesn't need any special features, nor does the GP-Wiz49.

1) Start Robotron
2) Press "Tab"
3) Select "Input- This Game"
4) Select "Player 1 Left / Up"
5) Press "Enter"
6) Push your leftmost joystick the direction you want to be up.
7) repeat for all the other joystick inputs.
8) Play game.

MikeQ

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 08:43:29 am »
Actually, it doesn't work.

I setup everything to the diagonals and it does allow you to map  up, down, left, right to a diagonal position, the problem is that it only works as a 4 way joystick when you do this.  The true diagonal position on the joystick don't register since the up/down/left/right are now multi-sequence inputs. 

For example, up is really up/left and left is really left,down.  So what would half way between left and up be?

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 10:54:16 am »
Actually, it doesn't work.

I setup everything to the diagonals and it does allow you to map  up, down, left, right to a diagonal position, the problem is that it only works as a 4 way joystick when you do this.  The true diagonal position on the joystick don't register since the up/down/left/right are now multi-sequence inputs. 

For example, up is really up/left and left is really left,down.  So what would half way between left and up be?

Left and not up/left and not down/left.  Except you can't map the diagonal inputs.  Hmmm.  Serves me right for trying this with too many Guinness in me last night.  I just tried again, and I get the same results you did. 

Now I'm left wondering if there isn't a way to change the way MAME translates analog gamepad data into digital directions for digital joystick games.

adn0r

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2006, 12:13:49 am
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 12:08:43 pm »
Its possible, using the standard mame mappings and 8-way joystick mode.

say your p1 joystick is UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT and you want to rotate it 45 degrees right:

up = UP RIGHT or UP or RIGHT
down = DOWN LEFT or DOWN or LEFT
left = UP LEFT or UP or LEFT
right = DOWN RIGHT or DOWN or RIGHT

pushing the joystick to the UP position will trigger both up and left, giving a diagonal shot in smashtv  ;D