Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: A little woodworking expertise?  (Read 4555 times)

Effayy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2006, 02:09:07 pm
  • Slowest....Cab Builder.... EVER.
A little woodworking expertise?
« on: March 27, 2006, 01:08:06 pm »
Hey all! Long time no see....err.... yeah.

I've been away from the forum for many months, mostly due to the fact that my arcade project had to be put on hold due to lack-of-workshop issues (the garage held our summer car all winter long).  So instead of fuelling my depression by reading the forums and finding out all the cool stuff you've been able to do while I wait until summer, I decided to fill my time with World of Warcraft.  (Oh, and yes, it's as addictive as they say).

That said, the car is about to be mobile again which means I can get back to building!

One small stumbling block, however, is that I need a rather complex shape cut out for decoration.  I'm quite the woodworking newbie so when I was told a bandsaw would do the trick, I had a feeling that this one task in particular may be something I could bribe someone to help with for a few beer... Hmm? :cheers:

That being said, if you happen to live in or near Ottawa, Canada and you happen to own a bandsaw and know how it works, please let me know. :)  I'm chomping at the bit to get my cabinet completed this summer.

- Effayy

rwhip41

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2006, 12:46:36 am
Re: A little woodworking expertise?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2006, 11:22:54 pm »
Would a jigsaw work for you?

Effayy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2006, 08:04:32 am »
Would a jigsaw work for you?

No unfortnately this is a little too complex for what a jigsaw can do I believe.  Many small wavy lines, and tight corners.  Thanks for the suggestion though.

- Effayy

sodapopinski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2011, 11:13:41 am
  • if I only had normal friends
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2006, 10:02:51 am »
You can buy portable bandsaws at a reasonable price. Alberta is a little too far away

rwhip41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2006, 10:15:02 am »
But a jig saw can cut on curvier lines than a band saw. One advantage of a bandsaw is that it will make straight cuts from top to bottom, whereas a jig saw's blade has a tendency to bend if you really push it around tight curves. There are ways around this...just as there are the same ways around making really tight curves with a band saw...lots of perpendicular cuts for relief or cutting in at different angles to the tangency of your curve.

A scroll saw is like a jig saw, but the blade is attached from both ends and it has a non-moving table (like a band saw), so the blade bending is a non-issue. So..in terms of making tight or really curvy cuts, I would use...in order...a scroll saw, a jig saw, or a band saw. A jig saw is really a portable scroll saw.

Effayy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2006, 11:12:08 am »
Oh! Thanks rwhip, I had the right idea, but the wrong tool.

It's a scrollsaw that I'll be needing.  I may as well just lay out what I intend to do, and you can help verify the choice:

I was working on a cabinet based on a MK theme.  It's based on the UltimateAcradeII design, with a touch of NeonMame.  On the top-sides of the machine, I've routed out 10.5" diam. holes.  One on each side.  I intend to route out discs that will fit snugly into these holes, then I'll be cutting the discs to look like the MK dragon logo.  Once I laminate over the sides, I'll punch out the laminate and smooth it up to the already-created curves of the dragon, making it appear to be one large peice of laminated wood from the outside.

Since the dragon is pretty intricate, a jigsaw would work for some, but not all, of the design.  I believe a scrollsaw is what I need since to make the eyehole of the dragon, I'll need to drill through and unattach/re-attach the blade in the pre-drilled portion to cut the shape.

... Time to hit the hardware stores.  I'll be beaming from ear to ear while the wife rolls her eyes, guaranteed. :)

- Effayy

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 11:15:50 am »
It's a scrollsaw that I'll be needing. 

Definitely a scroll saw job.... But you can also get thin scroll cutting blades to go into a Jigsaw.....

They'd be well maneuverable enough to do this at that size. If you already have a jig saw just get scroll blades and the job should be an easy one.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

BobbyG66

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2016, 11:52:09 am
  • Current project: Dodgeball
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2006, 11:55:56 am »
Just an idea...

How about finding a local cabinet maker.
Print out your design and glue it to the wood.
Then let the guy with the tools, skills and experience cut it out for you.

BobbyG66
Half of the people you meet are below average.

Matt Berry

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2018, 06:09:06 pm
  • llama kind of tastes like chicken
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2006, 12:31:37 pm »
Besides using a scrollsaw you could always go the manual route and buy a coping saw or fretsaw. It might take you a little longer but it sure wouldn't cost you that much.

JonnyBoy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2009, 01:59:00 pm
  • Inka Dinka Do
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 12:57:03 pm »
Be sure to practice on a piece of scrap before tackling it with a coping saw, they have a bit of a learning curve.
I had to beat them to death with their own shoes...

rwhip41

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2006, 04:04:42 pm »
Fozzy is right...you can get scroll saw type blades for a jig saw. Just be careful when making cuts on tight curves...these types of blades will bend easier, giving you an unintentional draft angle on your fabricated edge.

Is your wife into crafts? If she is, convince her that she needs a scroll saw. Otherwise, jig saws are relatively cheap at your local hardware store. I paid around $30 for a Black & Decker variable speed jig saw. The variable speed is a nice feature to have...I recommend it, especially for what you have in mind.

Sapper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2013, 08:34:44 pm
  • see answer for 42 across
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 11:50:18 am »
Coping saw has the most control and accuracy.  I'm in Kingston...and do a fair bit of woodwork.  PM if you still want help.

L'audace, toujours l'audace!