Main > Artwork

RBG to CMYK, Where is my blue??

(1/2) > >>

gui_999:
I just finished my CP, and I converted it in CMYK, but all the blue turned purple, check

http://membres.lycos.fr/soad999/cp.htm

So, will it turn that what when I'll print it ??? I want it blue, not purple :o

Larry Smith:
Well since no one else seems to be taking this one I quess I'll try.
First off let me say great work; it looks awsome!
There are lots of possible reasons and lots of possible solutions depending on the circumstances.
First the possible reasons:
There is no universally accepted way of converting RGB to CMYK and different programs do it differently. Also there are also certain shades of blue (red also) that can be produced in RGB that cannot be produced in CMYK (CMYK is a smaller 'color space' than RGB) the shade(s) of blue that are most likely to give trouble are royal or cobalt blue. I think this is part of your problem. Finally it's possible that conversion fron CMYK back to RGB for display on the monitor is the problem or part of it and the printed piece will be closer to the original than on screen although this one is less likely.
Here are some possible solutions:
Do the conversion to CMYK in a different program or let the printer do the conversion.
If I had to guess I would say you used photoshop to convert this, photoshop is a great program but it like to make unreproducable shades of blue overly purple.
Which brings us to the next possibility, use photoshop or another program to adjust the color more to your liking. Even if the tones you want aren't exactly possible you can probably come a little closer by removing some of the magenta. The only way to know for sure what somthing will look like is to print it, so if budget and time permits do a small test sheet with shades in the range you want and see what they look like.
Finally, no one likes to here this, but in the end the best solution is to learn to like the final result. Even a little purple your panel will look great.

PoDunkMoFo:
Simple solution....don't convert it to cmyk.

Basicaly the other post has the idea.  The human eye can see a huge range of color, your monitor can display a smaller amount of the range you can see, and a cmyk printer can print an even smaller range than your monitor can display.  We won't even go into the fact that monitors and printers use different methods to create colors (sorry I said I wouldn't go into it).

If you are having your printing done on an inkjet printer I wouldn't convert it.  The reason is that an inkjet can actually produce more colors then offset cmyk printing which is what cmyk conversion in photoshop is based on.  By converting to cmyk you may be tossing out colors that are achievable on an inkjet.  If you have your printing done by someone with an 8 color printer you will lose even less of your colors.

Whenever I print to my printer even when I was working with a 4 color printer I did not convert to cmyk.  I always send my files as they were created if possible.

Hope this helps.

Frostillicus:

--- Quote from: PoDunkMoFo on February 25, 2003, 01:38:39 am ---Basicaly the other post has the idea.  The human eye can see a huge range of color, your monitor can display a smaller amount of the range you can see, and a cmyk printer can print an even smaller range than your monitor can display.  We won't even go into the fact that monitors and printers use different methods to create colors (sorry I said I wouldn't go into it).

--- End quote ---

Actually the human eye can only see about 10,000,00 colors (only!) and the computer, at the standard 24 bit color depth can display 16.8million colors.  Your statement is true if you set the color depth to 8 or 16 bit.

Anyways to the original poster:
The sole reason colors don't look the same on the screen as on the printer is because they are produced in two entirely different ways.  The method on the monitor is called additive, because light is added to each part of a pixel to achieve white, where as color is subtracted in printing to achieve white - that's called subtractive.  A good example of additive method are the strobe lights at a night club - when 2 different lights combine on the floor the result is a brighter, whiter spot than either one alone.  Subtractive is the same as coloring with magic markers - each stroke of whatever color over another results in a darker image.  

Cyan Magenta Yellow and blacK are the least number of colors with the correct hues to produce the widest range of other colors.  But you'll never see a good blue or red without an 8-color printer like the one mentioned above, and even then it won't look as good as on the monitor.

What you've hit on is the biggest crux of the digitial imaging community - Color Management.   It's a huge issue.  
But that was good advice by Larry - either scale back the red in your panel or learn to like purple :)

gui_999:
So I thing I'll bring a 300dpi version of both the RBG and the CMYK.

I've put the CMYK more to my taste, take a look

http://membres.lycos.fr/soad999/cp.htm

So I'll bring the 2 to the printing store and talk with the guy which one will come out the best. I hope I can have some blue  :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version