Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Markrvp's Scratch-Built Golden Tee Fore Cabinet - Fixing One Mistake At A Time.  (Read 56028 times)

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
and a screen shot.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
The harpal tunnle from playin so much golf has made MarkRVP unable to post pictures.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 04:00:51 pm by MYX »
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
Hopefully I can post some late tonight.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
The harpal tunnle from playin so much golf has made MarkRVP unable to post pictures.

Is harpal tunnel where you take someone's money for pictures and never post them?
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
lol Drew it is now my goal to read every post you make.  :laugh2:

Even though I'm not a golf fan that cab is lookin sweet. The project announcement forum is a great place to steal borrow ideas. Good stuff!  :cheers:

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
lol Drew it is now my goal to read every post you make.  :laugh2:
oh crap, Drew's got a stalker.
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

NiteWalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2022, 07:33:24 pm
  • Routers can do anything.
    • SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
:laugh2: :laugh2:
His stuff is too funny.  By the way what constitutes a stalker??? The fact that I have his name tattooed across my hairy chest???
J/K

His stuff is just good reads.

It's 9am. I'm calling it a nite.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
By the way what constitutes a stalker??? The fact that I have his name tattooed across my hairy chest???

Now that was spit milk through nose funny.

Ok Mark, we have been waiting here for 9 hours. I haven't left. Need to take a leak. Need food, but I can't leave because you might just post this picture. But alas I realise that you are probably playing GT, yelling FORE!!! Scaring the cat. Well...Fine then. I'm gonna go... you'll see...ok...I'm going...really... here I go...

* MYX goes and hides and peaks to see if his taunting will panic MarkRVP into actually posting pix.
M    Y    X

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
You cannot rush a good pic.  It may be tomorrow.  I'm painting the "hard to get to" crevices and applying T-molding right now.  I also bought a brand new CP plexi overlay from Incredible Technologies.  It's the one that is screen printed right on the plexi.  I'm about to go photograph it so we'll have it for the art library.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Well  :censored:

I unpacked the CP overlay plexi and something's wrong with it.  It looks like it's supposed to be no-glare plexi, but the end result is that the graphics are fuzzy (not focused).   :cry:

I'm going to have to send this one back and get a new one.  :banghead:
Son of a  :censored:   If I ever get this cabinet all put together and working at the same time it will be a miracle.

I've posted some shots below.  The first is a full shot of the overlay.  The second shot is a close-up of the GT logo where you can see better how it's fuzzy.  The third pic is a comparison of the CP and the side decals I got so that you can see it's not the photography that's out of focus, and the 4th shot is of the side decals.

:hissy:  :hissy:  :hissy:  :hissy:  :hissy:

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project

You cannot rush a good pic.

Liar.

If I were running by Liv Tyler's bedroom window and snapped a hasty shot as she was gettin' nekkid and was able to post it, you know darn good and well you'd be on it like stink on missioncontrol!

By the way what constitutes a stalker??? The fact that I have his name tattooed across my hairy chest???

If you'da said you shaved my name in your butt hair, I'd be worried, but for a whole slew of different reasons ;)

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
If you'da said you shaved my name in your butt hair, I'd be worried, but for a whole slew of different reasons ;)

Then I'm not sayin' nuthin'.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project

Then I'm not sayin' nuthin'.

You shouldn't have sent me the pic of the tattoo so you'd remember how to spell it.  You're double the stalker I don't need.

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Okay, so where I left off with the pics is at the place where we need to mount the monitor hardware.   The original GT game had carriage bolts going completely through the cabinet sides that held a square iron bar for the monitor to mount to.  I didn't want to weld a square bar, so I decided to use 3" L-brackets.  I measured where the mounting holes on the monitor frame are located and drilled a matching hole in the brackets accordingly.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
The brackets above are sitting on hardboard which I bought to make a template of the monitor mounting frame.  Based on the method Drewkaree suggested, I printed a template of the monitor tube and mounting frame with the mounting holes.  I cut the hardboard to fit the printed template and taped the template to the board.

Notice that I also printed centerlines on the template to make centering the board in the cabinet opening easy.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
In order to mount the template in the center of the cabinet opening I measured the distance back from the front of the cabinet where the mounting frame needs to go.  I drew a line parallel to the cabinet front edge.  I then drew a center line perpendicular to that to line up with the centerline printed on the template.  I also screwed two furring strips along that line to screw the hardboard template to.  Screwing the template board to the furring strips will hold it in place so I can position and screw in the L-brackets.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Before mounting the template board to the furring strips, I first attached the 4 L-brackets to the template board.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Then I aligned the centerline on the template board with the centerline on the cabinet and screwed the template board to the furring strips.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Now you can see that the L-brackets attached to the template board are held where they need to be bolted to the cabinet.  I used 1-1/4" drywall screws to screw the brackets to the cabinet side.  The reason I used these screws is so I can make sure the monitor aligns with the brackets before drilling the 1/4" holes all the way through the cabinet for the carriage bolts.

Once I screwed all the brackets into the cabinet sides, I removed the template board from the brackets and unscrewed and removed the furring strips.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
I also decided to put in a monitor shelf that was just deep enough to let the monitor sit on.  This makes it possible for one person to set the monitor up on the shelf and then lean it back on the brackets.  It also provides insurance in case the brackets fail.  Here are two shots of the shelf from above and below.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Once I verified that the mounting holes in the monitor mount lined up with the L-brackets, I removed the 1-1/4" drywall screws one at a time.  Each time I removed one, I drilled a 1/4" hole in it's place and installed a 1/4"-20 carriage bolt.  Doing these one at a time insured that the brackets did not move.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Here is the monitor mounted from the front.  The monitor frame is held to the brackets with 1" long 1/4"-20 bolts.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Originally I assembled the cabinet floor so that the casters would give the cabinet 1/2" to 3/4" clearance from the floor.  Unfortunately, the carpet compresses that much.  So, I removed the casters and added 3/4" boards under the cabinet and re-drilled the carriage bolt holes.  Now the cabinet bottom clears the carpet, but it is not too high.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
I covered the monitor with newspaper so I could do some touch-up painting.  After painting I installed the white and black T-molding.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Here is the cab with the monitor, bezel, and T-molding installed.  I still need to mount the front door (which will open with European hinges) and return the CP overlay and get one that is sharp.  I also need to get glass to cover the monitor, but I am very close to being completely finished.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Well I just played 54 holes of golf and I'm tired.  About halfway through I looked down and thought, "holy cow, I've got my own Golden Tee Fore cabinet!"  This rocks.  :notworthy:

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
Congrats!  It looks fantastic! :applaud:

:cry:

psychopanda

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 31, 2006, 01:13:17 pm
    • PsychoPanda's Secret Grotto
I had never seen a Golden Tee in the arcades. Yours looks fantastic! :)

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Well, I sent the pics of the CP overlay plexi to ITS and the salesman went and looked at some others.  He said they all look the same.  That's just the way it will look because of the plexi finish.

He offered to exchange mine, but he said it will look exactly the same.

:censored:

That wasn't the answer I had hoped for.

Stobe

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2024, 05:08:05 pm
  • Don't make a fuss, I'll have your Spam!
Is that how they look in the arcades (bars, rather)?  Or do they use an actual overlay?

Looks great!  Didn't expect you awake at this hour, lol.

-Stobe

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
The original conversions used a screen printed overlay which was just inserted under clear plexi.  The only issue with clear plexi is that it glares.  The new ones use a no-glare (read blurry) plexi overlay with the artwork attached permanently from underneath.  I have seen some that look better than the one I got, but this is a discontinued game, so they probably aren't too worried about future production runs.

Having said all that, the sales people at Incredible Technologies have been the friendliest, most helpful bunch I have dealt with.

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
Sounds like with all the problems that you've had, you better scrap the project and send it my way.  Sorry to hear about that.  I'll try to find a good use for it. :applaud:

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Sounds like with all the problems that you've had, you better scrap the project and send it my way.  Sorry to hear about that.  I'll try to find a good use for it. :applaud:

Go stand by your mailbox until it arrives.  Don't ever leave the mailbox, as I've instructed USPS to only deliver it if someone is at the mailbox.  It could be anytime 24 hours a day, so pack a thermos.  ;D

mccoy178

• Offline Offline
  • Go Bucks!
Um, hi.  This is Ben's wife.  I don't know what you told him, but he won't come back inside.  I don't really have a problem with his obsession, but this isn't funny.  If you could straighten this out, I would be greatly appreciative.

P.S.  We are very excited about getting that broken Golden Tee machine.  Thanks again.

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
Um, hi.  This is Ben's wife.  I don't know what you told him, but he won't come back inside.  I don't really have a problem with his obsession, but this isn't funny.  If you could straighten this out, I would be greatly appreciative.

P.S.  We are very excited about getting that broken Golden Tee machine.  Thanks again.

That's funny.   :applaud:

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
I was ALWAYS told that there's a "blurry" side to plexi, and that's the side that is supposed to go - damn if I can remember, it's been a long time since I was in sales and had to change the inserts in the plexi-covered lightboxes we had.

That "blurriness" is because it's done on the wrong side.

Naturally they do this WAY more than I do, but you even noticed it yourself when you said "some look better than others", and I'd bet it's not a big concern to them one way or the other, so you get what they have.

Is there any way to do a hi-res scan of the backside and perhaps go that route?  The screenprinting on the back isn't blurry just from the front due to the plexi, right?  I know that's not the "right" way to do it, but that sucks that it's blurry when it clearly isn't that way on every machine

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
Hey Mark, nice work bro.
I am now understandin what was being said about the hard board. Didn't mean to be dense. Just  happens. Perhaps it's the ADD. Oh look a bird.

Mark, your video savvy, would it be to big of leap to Photoshop it. Sure it is a lot of time and probably at least $50 from MAME Marquees, but it might be a cleaner look. If not I would call the guy back and get hime to take a closer look at the ones he has.

but that sucks that it's blurry when it clearly isn't that way on every machine
Pun?
M    Y    X

markrvp

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • NFL Expert
There's too much detail in the text and glows to do it justice in Photoshop.  I'm hoping Nostrebor will pop in here and tell me how to magically polish the plexi so it will look good.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
There's too much detail in the text and glows to do it justice in Photoshop.  I'm hoping Nostrebor will pop in here and tell me how to magically polish the plexi so it will look good.

Work it over with some Novus.  You should be able to find it at AutoZone or some chain auto parts store (I've heard of Pep Boys, but dunno where they're all located).