Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED button discs/inserts for translucent Happs, fx, or ice!  (Read 69464 times)

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:20:02 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: LED button discs/inserts for translucent Happs, fx, or ice!
« Reply #160 on: August 22, 2007, 02:46:41 pm »
Thanks Kaytrim.   I ordered a GroovyGameGear pushbutton insert to see what they are like.  Unfortunately, they are not transparent like MikeDeuce's inserts. They are white paper with black ink.  It does not let light through.  :(

Actually, it is not paper, rather a special vinyl material.  They do illuminate when used with a NovaGem, but probably not so much with a standard LED.  It is the same material as used with the NovaGemCDR pushbuttons.

RandyT
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 02:49:14 pm by RandyT »

Kremlar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 10:21:24 pm
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2017, 09:42:51 pm »
I know this is oooold, but wondering if anyone has a source for inserts like this gentleman was selling?  I'd sure like to order some for the new cabinet I'll be getting!

I saw the link for these, but someone said they were not the same quality:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=302

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks!

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2017, 11:43:46 pm »
I know this is oooold, but wondering if anyone has a source for inserts like this gentleman was selling?  I'd sure like to order some for the new cabinet I'll be getting!

I saw the link for these, but someone said they were not the same quality:
http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=302

IIRC the GGG inserts are only for one particular type of button, so those probably aren't going to work for you.

SlammedNiss can do custom inserts similar to the ones in the OP (he may need some exact measurements) or you can print your own on Avery Inkjet (8665 or 18665) or Laser (15665) labels.
1. SlammedNiss sells vinyl button decals here.

2. You can inkjet print your own inserts like the ones here or here on Avery 18665 (10 pack) or Avery 8665 (25 pack) media.

Scott
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 04:05:35 pm by PL1 »

Kremlar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 10:21:24 pm
« Reply #163 on: August 16, 2017, 09:49:05 am »
Thanks!!  If I decide to try printing my own, is there any trick to cutting them as perfectly as possible?  I envision them looking like crap if I just trace and cut with scissors...

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:08:16 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #164 on: August 16, 2017, 11:46:03 am »
If I decide to try printing my own, is there any trick to cutting them as perfectly as possible?  I envision them looking like crap if I just trace and cut with scissors...
Print the inserts on the Avery labels.

If possible, avoid touching the printed areas.

Cut a row or column from the sheet.

Place the row/column face down on a piece of paper (for visibility) on top of cardboard. (cutting surface )

Peel off the backing-paper.

PROTIP: There are bumps on the back of the outer rim of the diffuser that mate with the plunger.  Plan ahead so the insert aligns with the diffuser bumps that align with the plunger which aligns with the microswitch which points in the desired direction for neat/easy wiring and properly aligned inserts.  ;D

The 4 indexing marks (surrounding the P2 image) are slightly outside the area that the diffuser disc will cover.

Place the diffuser on the insert -- near edge first, line it up, then carefully drop it into place.

Use an exacto knife to trim the excess.  The edge of the diffuser is a great guide.

A *tiny* spot of gel superglue will affix the diffuser to the plunger, keeping the diffuser/insert from rotating.

Be sure to let the glue cure fully before assembling the button, unless you want to play a messy game of amateur CSI.

Scott
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:51:54 am by PL1 »