Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PowerMAME is no longer available (Is available again)  (Read 12869 times)

MikeQ

• Trade Count: (0)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:03:38 pm by MikeQ »

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: PowerMAME is no longer available
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 06:55:11 am »
 :'(

I hope that my problem wasn't the final straw; the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that it's nothing to do with PowerMAME, more to do with my rushed wiring job.

:'(
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 08:00:50 am by JoyMonkey »

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 08:13:05 am »
Oh no, this can't be good.....

Fat-Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 09:23:33 am
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:36:48 am »

PowerMAME is no longer available

I've run into an issue with USB devices not working as expected with USB hubs and on certain systems.  I've exhausted just about all my ideas as to what could be wrong.  The problem is creating a lot of "Tech Support" so rather than have the problem grow, I'm taking PowerMAME offline.  If I ever figure out the root cause and it is something that can be fixed, I'll consider starting things up again.

Thanks,
Mike

I definitely hope everything gets straightened out, and you guys (MikeQ) can find (and resolve) the problem with the USB communication.  Powermame looks very promising from what I have used, and so far, the latest version does exactly what I want it to do.:
1) Light the buttons that are used per game.
2) Clear that lighting when I exit the game.

I don

Timoe

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2009, 09:50:12 am
  • Team-Oh-tAy-Oh
    • Rattlin' Trash
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2006, 09:47:30 am »
Cant we just make a statement on the PowerMame site like:

"PowerMame no longer supports USB hubs on certain systems"

PowerMame needs you Mike.  We need you.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 09:57:28 am »
I'm not sure what we can do to help out; maybe investigate the USB problems a little further?
I updated the Wiki a little; I added a USB Problems page where people can document any issues that they've come accross. I also added a temporary downloads page, since the binary and source files are no longer available at UnappliedBraincells. If requested by Mike, I will remove the downloads; I just thought having the binaries available might help track down the USB problem.

MikeQ

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2006, 10:35:23 am »
I'm not sure what we can do to help out; maybe investigate the USB problems a little further?
I updated the Wiki a little; I added a USB Problems page where people can document any issues that they've come accross. I also added a temporary downloads page, since the binary and source files are no longer available at UnappliedBraincells. If requested by Mike, I will remove the downloads; I just thought having the binaries available might help track down the USB problem.

People are buying LEDWiz's to use with PowerMAME.  If they have problems, they blame PowerMAME or at least generate a lot of questions to me.  I have no answer to the problem that I can publicly state.  If I come out and say it is a problem with the LEDWiz itself, then I piss off Randy since he doesn't see the problem.  If I continue to make PowerMAME available, then I get endless reports of the problem and PowerMAME will be seen as buggy.

If you make the binaries available, then the support issues and complaints will continue.  People will continue to buy LEDWiz's to use with PowerMAME and feel ripped off when things don't work.  If this was just an issue with hubs, I wouldn't have a problem telling people to use a different hub but it is becoming an increasing problem without hubs on newer top of the line computers.

I would suggest people report their problems to Randy.  Reproduce the problem without PowerMAME as it will be an easy target to place the blame on.

You might want to tell people on  the WIKI to do a simple test.  Run the LEDWiz control panel that comes with the LEDWiz.  Turn on some LEDs with the panel, right click on the LEDs that are on and set them to the sawtooth waveform.  If the results are that the LED's don't perform the waveform or have random behavior, then they are seeing the problem.  It is important that they do this WITHOUT ever running PowerMAME.  Do it from a clean boot if possible.  This way there is no question that the problem has nothing to do with PowerMAME.  Once this has been done and you see that the problem exists, report all your computer/hub information to Randy.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 02:06:25 pm »
I'll try testing as many chipsets as I can find tonight using the method you describe. I started a table on the wiki page to organize some test results and threw in a few chipsets that I've got at home (off the top of my head for right now, I'll fill in the details as I test).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 02:12:58 pm by JoyMonkey »

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 03:33:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 03:40:20 pm »
I'll try testing as many chipsets as I can find tonight using the method you describe. I started a table on the wiki page to organize some test results and threw in a few chipsets that I've got at home (off the top of my head for right now, I'll fill in the details as I test).

Thanks.  That will make the tracking of these oddities just that much easier. 

And FWIW, I'd like to make a comment here.  Mike is really doing all this out of shear "good-will".  His work is not being compensated for in any way, and he doesn't work for GGG.  While I would love to sell LED-Wiz's all day long, if you are buying them with the the mindset that Mike owes you something because you made the purchase, then I'd rather you didn't buy them. 

Mahuti has a decent app that uses the GGG "supported" software for running animations and lighting controls used in games, and it supports RGB control.  Multiple device control from the resident app software will also be coming once I get a couple of upcoming new items out of the way.  However, chances are that the same few people who have reported difficulties with PowerMAME, will also have problems with both of these solutions.  The issue, IMHO, appears to be USB chipset and or driver related.  I have 4 systems here and cannot duplicate the reported issues. 

So the long and the short of it is this: if the USB subsystem in your computer doesn't like the way the LED-Wiz is being controlled, don't complain to Mike about it.  He didn't write the firmware for your USB chip, he didn't write the drivers for it, he didn't develop the communication protocol for the LED-Wiz, nor did he write it's firmware.  If it doesn't work, it's not his problem, it's yours and mine.  I'll try to lend a hand troubleshooting where I can, but the plain fact is that a few percent of the purchasers will quite possibly either need to send the units back as "incompatible" with their hardware, or drop in a new VIA or other known working chipset based card to join in the fun.  Putting pressure on a barely associated third party who is donating his valuable time and talents won't do anything but make them believe the old adage about "no good deed going unpunished."

Thanks for listening.

RandyT
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 04:32:06 pm by RandyT »

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 08:17:10 pm »
I'm surprised that I've thusfar avoided the "no good deed..." issue with my crapplication. Perhaps the fact that I continually refer to it in negative terms puts in the proper context for the user :)
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Circo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 10:53:46 pm »
I would like to say that even though I think I was one of the first to report the chipset problem, I was never in any way bummed at either Mike or Randy.  In fact I was just happy to narrow it down to not user error so I could fix the issue and get on with the fun.  I eventually tried it on three different computers, and the only one that it didn't work on was my Athlon X2 with an nvidia chipset.  No problem I have an intel P4 in my cab anyway. 

I am just exited that these cool products are available.  Anyone who gets upset about a few minor incompatabilities has not been doing this very long, besides that this is all infant technology for a niche market.  And I am willing to bet now that the word is getting out about the incompatabilities and we are narrowing them down people will be fine with it for the most part.

I just would like to say thanks to Randy and Mike and all the other folks who share a passion to this hobby and help make it even more interesting than it already is.  Hell if everything in my cabinet worked just right the first time that would just take all of the fun out of it :-).  Thanks for all of your help and I hope powermame isn't dead, and if it doesn't work so well with the latest and greatest computer too bad neither would my arcade vga card.  ;)

My Websites

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 11:59:23 pm »
Poop.   :'(

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2006, 08:07:14 am »
I'm surprised that I've thusfar avoided the "no good deed..." issue with my crapplication. Perhaps the fact that I continually refer to it in negative terms puts in the proper context for the user :)

Also, helps that the latest version has expired.  ;)

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2006, 03:13:52 pm »
heh.

I'll have to do something about that.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2006, 04:34:30 pm »
Thanks for all of your help and I hope powermame isn't dead, and if it doesn't work so well with the latest and greatest computer too bad neither would my arcade vga card.  ;)

dead? I thought this was just a tempory withdrawl while the usb issues were ironed out/worked around...

Powermame was one of the best things I've seen emerge on this site in ages, and MikeQ comes across as having just the right combo of common sense and raw talent to be at the helm....

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2006, 04:49:49 pm »
dead? I thought this was just a tempory withdrawl while the usb issues were ironed out/worked around...

Powermame was one of the best things I've seen emerge on this site in ages, and MikeQ comes across as having just the right combo of common sense and raw talent to be at the helm....
Agreed - and well said!!!
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

divemaster127

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2018, 08:05:08 pm
  • My webstore is arcadeemulator.net
    • arcadeemulator.net
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2006, 05:47:20 pm »
this is a real shame I was really looking forward to v105, guess ill be happy to have the current version
dm
I carry both ultimarc & happ items, all brand new & I ship from the united states. My online store is ARCADEEMULATOR.NET, pm if I can help in anyway.

MikeQ

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 08:59:50 pm »
I'll be bringing the site back up sometime this week.  I'll have a new version up that will hopefully put and end to the USB issues we've all been dealing with as well as a new feature.

Word to the wise...Stay away from Nvidia chipsets.  I'm not just saying that because I work for ATI either.....Well, yes I am.  But trust me, things will work better for you if you do.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: PowerMAME is no longer available (soon to be available again)
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 09:24:15 pm »
...and there was much rejoicing!

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 09:25:48 pm »
Wow, I finally feel that I contributed.....

Southpaw

MikeQ

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2006, 10:16:38 pm »
Thanks everyone for the QE support on this.  I think we should all file a bug report with Nvidia!!

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 11:58:06 pm »
Word to the wise...Stay away from Nvidia chipsets.  I'm not just saying that because I work for ATI either.....Well, yes I am.  But trust me, things will work better for you if you do.

And here's me having just moved onto an ATI chipset motherboard - bit risky I thought, as its pretty much there first one. I must admit I'm enjoying a totally fanless motherboard for a change. And its very stable....

*cough* Although I'm not going to mention the rather nasty USB bug that causes the system to take 5 minutes to get though just the BIOS checks if you have, it seems, any hub or USB device it does not recognise attached. Roll on Bios updates.....*cough*

MikeQ

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2006, 12:25:58 am »

And here's me having just moved onto an ATI chipset motherboard - bit risky I thought, as its pretty much there first one. I must admit I'm enjoying a totally fanless motherboard for a change. And its very stable....

*cough* Although I'm not going to mention the rather nasty USB bug that causes the system to take 5 minutes to get though just the BIOS checks if you have, it seems, any hub or USB device it does not recognise attached. Roll on Bios updates.....*cough*

Well, I'm not saying ours is any better.  I'm not affiliated with that business unit.  I really don't follow where we are in the market on this stuff.  I know we have been handed a lot business by Intel though so they must trust us.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2006, 07:01:38 am »
...and there was much rejoicing!
Absolutely  ;D ;D ;D
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 12:03:54 pm »
If this was suppose to be a community project why take it down anyway?  Someone might find a way to solve a problem.  That's how open source works :)

MikeQ

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 01:11:53 pm »
1)  When I pulled the site down, it looked like there wasn't going to be a way to fix the problem.  I'm not going to support a project that has a fundamental flaw that does nothing but generate a lot of complaints.

2)  The workaround is in a component of code that I cannot and will not distribute so no one else was going to be able to come up with the workaround.  (Yes, I have permission from the Aaron not to distribute the groovy.dll code).

3)  Pulling down the site got a lot of people looking at the problem and generating usefull information that ultimately narrowed down a chipset.  Until this happened it was believed by me to be an LEDWiz problem and not a chipset issue. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 01:15:07 pm by MikeQ »

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 03:19:11 pm »

W00t.   :applaud:

I'm probably going to be installing this myself in the very near future.  Great stuff.  Is there somewhere we can donate to the cause?  Maybe send in some beer money?

MikeQ

Re: PowerMAME is available again
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2006, 03:51:22 pm »

W00t.   :applaud:

I'm probably going to be installing this myself in the very near future.  Great stuff.  Is there somewhere we can donate to the cause?  Maybe send in some beer money?

Sure, that would be great.  I'm in need of some things for the project so cash or equipment donations would be greatly appreciated.

Paypal: mikeq@unappliedbraincells.com

« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:04:32 pm by MikeQ »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
Re: PowerMAME is no longer available (Is available again)
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2006, 10:30:46 am »

What do you need?  Maybe some of us have the equipment lying around.

MikeQ

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2006, 10:38:37 am »

What do you need?  Maybe some of us have the equipment lying around.

I need hard drives so I can run multiple OS's for testing. 

If I can find the cash, I'll probably go with external USB hard drives.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2006, 02:27:29 pm »

I have some smaller IDE drives sitting around... something around 13G.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2006, 05:43:45 pm »
Mike, The binaries seem to be missing from the download page....  is that on purpose? 

MikeQ

« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2006, 08:18:01 pm »

13Gb would be big enough for my needs.  Just he OS and mame.  I have SATA drives in my development systems.   I'll have to see if it can take IDE.

MikeQ

« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2006, 08:30:10 pm »
Mike, The binaries seem to be missing from the download page....  is that on purpose? 

Yes.  I've been trying to get around to putting up a new version.  Haven't found the time. 

I re-enabled the old downloads.  WARNING!!! They do not have the USB chipset workaround, so buyer beware.

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2006, 09:39:15 pm »
I've got a VIA chipset.  Woot!

MikeQ

« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2006, 09:43:40 pm »

13Gb would be big enough for my needs.  Just he OS and mame.  I have SATA drives in my development systems.   I'll have to see if it can take IDE.

Yup, I have an IDE header.

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2006, 07:30:07 am »
I've got a couple of 10G ide drives hanging around too. If you had an external IDE->USB2.0 enclosure it might make life easier.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2006, 08:42:00 am »
I have a similar set-up on my current PC that may work well for you if you try this.  Do the following:

Unplug the IDE (and power?) cable from the WINXP HD.

Set the jumpers on the new drive to slave (or install to the secondary controller).

Connect only the new drive's IDE and power cables and install Win98 on the second drive.

Connect the WinXP HD's IDE and power cables back up.

Re-boot. . .

NOTE: A key point is to have only one drive connected when you install either WinXP or Win98 on either drive.  This avoids having (particularly WinXP) detect another drive and install the dual-boot files on the main drive.

The beauty of this system is as follows:

The system normally boots straight into WinXP - No OS selection screen, so I don't have to worry about choosing a drive to boot to.

When I want to boot to Win98, I just go into the BIOS and select HDD-1 instead of HDD-0 as the boot device.

I am running either Win98 solo or WinXP solo - the system doesn't think it is a dual-boot setup.

If I need one of the .dll's I created under Win98, I can access it, as the D:\ drive is connected and WinXP can read FAT32.

OTOH - if I need one of the WinXP files under Win98, I either have to format the WinXP drive as FAT32 or copy it to a thumb drive as Win98 will not even see that an NTFS partition exists.

HTH!!!

MikeQ

« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2006, 08:58:03 am »
I've got a couple of 10G ide drives hanging around too. If you had an external IDE->USB2.0 enclosure it might make life easier.

I have a removable drive bay for IDE's but I've always had problems with them not seating perfectly everytime.  A USB to IDE would probably be a better way to go.  I could also just mount all the drives permanently in the case and make the machine dual boot too.  For some reason, I like the external approach though.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2006, 03:59:20 pm »

Well, PM me if you'd like a couple drives.