Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Help with Power Mame-configuration isses?  (Read 5684 times)

southpaw13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2020, 05:11:18 pm
  • Whatever!
Help with Power Mame-configuration isses?
« on: March 19, 2006, 08:28:11 am »
Yes, I searched and read a ton of stuff.
I am running Win XP pro. 
I bought the LEDWIZ and currently running 7 RGB LED's (from Randy) and hooked up to it just to the red and blue.  It looks like this:
1 led 1 red
2 led 1 blue
3 led 2 red
4 led 2 blue
5 led 3 red
6 led 3 blue  all the way through 7 leds.

I am running PowerMame32.  So I modified the LEDWIZ config file to look like this.

1 48 KEYCODE_LCONTROL
2 48 KEYCODE_LCONTROL
3 48 KEYCODE_LALT
4 48 KEYCODE_LALT
5 48 KEYCODE_SPACE
6 48 KEYCODE_SPACE
7 48 KEYCODE_LSHIFT
8 48 KEYCODE_LSHIFT
9 48 KEYCODE_Z
10 48 KEYCODE_Z
11 48 KEYCODE_X
12 48 KEYCODE_X
13 48 KEYCODE_C
14 48 KEYCODE_C

So I just wanted to do some basic attrac mode testing and nothing seems to be working right.  Flash seems to work and PL1PL2FanL will flash them all on at once one time.  Nothing else works. 

I tried the LEDWIZ control panel and I can turn each of my inputs on and off OK.

I tried running a game, and checked that mame was using the same keycodes.  Nothing lights up except the event lightning only on one LED.

Did I miss something?  Do I need to somehow program the LEDWIZ first?

Thanks for your help,
Southpaw

Fat-Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 09:23:33 am
Re: Help with Power Mame-configuration isses?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2006, 10:45:16 am »
What version of Powermame32 are you running?  Make sure you get 104.1.2 (the latest) from the website.

Some other things to try:
1) Make sure your ledwiz.cfg file is in  C:\mame\lighting

2) Are you running a USB hub?  Remove the hub, and try to plug LEDwiz's USB right into the PC mobo.  I had issues with a hub where the attract modes would work, the events would work, but controls (in-game lighting) would not work.

3) Try all your testing with one game.  I used Hypersports (hyperspt.zip) since I knew it lit the P1 and P2 buttons 1,2,3

4) Are you powering the LED's off of the USB power, or do you have a dedicated +5V line running to the LEDwiz.  Try hooking up a +5V line to the LEDwiz as shown in the instructions.

5)  There are two places to set the lighting options in Powermame32.  One is global, and the other is per game.  Make SURE you have both of those set right.  I dont have it in front of me, but one is in the Powermame32 main screen under something like "default game options".....the same place where you set up the rest of the mame opton.  The second place is that you can set lighting options PER GAME.  Right-click the game, andsnoop around in th options there.  Make sure that lighting is set correctly both globally AND per game.

6) Try trimming down your ledwiz.cfg file to get just two or three buttons working, and test it with games you know use only 1,2,or 3 buttons.  Keep it simple, get it working, then add on little by little.

7) Are you sure that you are lighting the correct buttons??  Meaning if your cfg file says
1 48 KEYCODE_LCONTROL
2 48 KEYCODE_LCONTROL
3 48 KEYCODE_LALT
4 48 KEYCODE_LALT
5 48 KEYCODE_SPACE
6 48 KEYCODE_SPACE

are you sure that LCTRL, LALT, and SPACE are actually doing what is expected once you launch a game??  I had a (stupid) problem where I assigned 7,H,9 in my LEDwiz config, then I launched the game, and they did not light..........because mame was mapped to LCTRL, LALT, and SPACE!!!   Make sure your buttons DO what you THINK they should be doing.

Give that stuff a whirl, and lemme know what you see.
FJ

MikeQ

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2006, 12:26:51 pm »
I think I've found a bug with the LEDWiz hardware.  Could you try something for me and see if it works correctly for you?

Using the LEDWiz Control Panel.  Set all your outputs that are connected to LEDs to on.  Right click on each LED picture on the panel and set them to sawtooth.  Look to see that all the real LED's are performing the sawtooth correctly. 

With my hub that I'm using, this doesn't work.  I get random results.  It appears that the LWZ-PBA command that sets the intensity and waveforms is somehow corrupted when going through my hub.  It would be interesting to see what you get on your system as it sounds like things aren't working as expected. 

Originally, I though this was a timing issue but was able to reproduce the problem with the LUMA panel after seeing it happen again with my setup even with a huge delay.

Unfortunately, PowerMAME uses the LWZ-PBA command frequently to reset LED intensities after a lighting sequence finises. 

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Whatever!
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 12:45:21 pm »
I am not using a hub.  And it didn't work. Random results at best.  The on/off's work fine.  I cannot get the intensity to work at all and the sawtooth is random at best.  Actually the sawtooth didn't work until I hit the play button.

Let me know what else I can do....

Thanks,
Southpaw

MikeQ

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16:34 pm »
I am not using a hub.  And it didn't work. Random results at best.  The on/off's work fine.  I cannot get the intensity to work at all and the sawtooth is random at best.  Actually the sawtooth didn't work until I hit the play button.

Let me know what else I can do....

Thanks,
Southpaw

Yup, this is the bug I'm talking about.   I'm looking into things.  It is clearly not a PowerMAME issue anymore.  I'd contact Randy and give him your system informaiton.

Actually, if you could post your OS, Service pack, and USB controller info here, it can check it against the system I see the problem with and we might be able to narrow things down.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 07:23:40 pm by MikeQ »

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Whatever!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2006, 08:03:42 pm »
OS Win XP pro
Service pack 2
Standard open HCD host controller

also on my other system
OS Win 2000 pro
Serice pack 4
Standard open HCD host controller

I hope this is what you are looking for, please let me know....
What do I need to tell Randy at this point?

Thanks,
Southpaw

MikeQ

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 08:59:19 pm »
can you look at what USB host controller you have on your systems?  Under device manager, expand the USB item.  It will probably say something like Intel 82801 or something similiar.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2006, 09:02:59 pm by MikeQ »

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Whatever!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2006, 10:32:47 pm »
On my XP pro, it looks like this...
(see attachment)

My other system looks the same....

MikeQ

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2006, 10:39:50 pm »
What do you get when click on the USB device entries?

southpaw13

• Offline Offline
  • Whatever!
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2006, 11:25:13 pm »
Nothing like you describe...
Here is another attachment when I open up the LEDWIZ USB device...