Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME 104u5 out - adds multiple mice  (Read 14055 times)

sWampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2010, 04:23:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: MAME 104u5 out - adds multiple mice
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 08:53:14 am »
Damn you guys.   Now I'm going to end up wanting a 2nd trackball for the few games that support 2, and 2 of those new light guns.  You just cost me $150!  :P

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 01:44:00 pm »
I currently hotswap (with my tac-strips) the usb itself so with one tac-switch I can use a mouse/keyboard for config.  My trackball control panel.  My spinner control panel.  ect.   

But my guns will be (hopefully) plugged in 24/7 so it shouldn't be an issue for me at all. 

I would love if we could setup a 'all mice inputs' that would allow any mice button 1 to go to all that have any mice button 1.  Nice feature to imitate system mouse. 

But at this point, I'm happy with whatever I can get :)  I kept thinking of looking at analog+mame code and see if I could try merging it over to an updated mame... but I've been considering it for over a year and haven't got time yet...

Thanks Derrick!

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2006, 02:00:18 pm »
But at this point, I'm happy with whatever I can get :)  I kept thinking of looking at analog+mame code and see if I could try merging it over to an updated mame... but I've been considering it for over a year and haven't got time yet...

You and me both.  I've looked at that analog mame code more times than I can count.  I just couldn't seem to wrap my brain around a good clean way to merge it into the official source.

I think everyone owes Derrick a beer.

As an amusing (at least to me) side note, I loathe XP and refuse to use it on my own computers.  I just wanted to add XP rawmouse support "for the good of the MAME community".

Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2006, 02:05:30 pm »
As an amusing (at least to me) side note, I loathe XP and refuse to use it on my own computers

I am curious why and what you do use.

John

jerryjanis

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2023, 01:56:44 am
  • Skate or Die!!!
    • Jake's Joystick
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2006, 02:28:10 pm »
As an amusing (at least to me) side note, I loathe XP and refuse to use it on my own computers.  I just wanted to add XP rawmouse support "for the good of the MAME community".

That's funny, me too.  It's not fair for me to have all the multimouse fun while the majority of users are stuck without it because Windows doesn't support it.

krick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 08, 2023, 08:30:27 pm
  • Gotta have blue hair.
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2006, 02:38:40 pm »
As an amusing (at least to me) side note, I loathe XP and refuse to use it on my own computers

I am curious why and what you do use.

I use Windows 2000 + Unofficial Service Pack 5.1 on my non-MAME computers and
I use Windows 98SE + Unofficial 98SE Service Pack 2.1a on my dedicated MAME machine.

For general use, Windows 2000 is completely adequate for my needs.  There's nothing I do that justifies an upgrade to XP.

There's several things I don't like about Windows XP vs 2000.  First and foremost is product activation.  I do a LOT of hardware upgrading in my household.  I'd really rather not have to call Microsoft every time I do a motherboard upgrade.  Another thing I don't like is the "clown car" color scheme and "improved" UI.  I know that I can turn it off but I don't really see why they did it at all since it looks awful.

For a dedicated MAME computer, I think XP is overkill.  I prefer 98SE because of the much lower resource overhead.  Plus, I find 98SE much easier to customize and tweak for optimal MAME cabinet use.

Of course, 98SE has some limitations...

max 120GB drive size, max 1GB memory, no dual core or hyperthreading support, no PCI express support, no chipset drivers on some chipsets like nForce 4, etc...

But for a MAME cabinet using an ArcadeVGA card, none of these problems really affect me.

DOS and Linux are also appealing alternatives to 98SE that each have their own particular strengths and weaknesses.

I'm sure that people will disagree with my opinion on XP and that's fine.  It's just my opinion.  Everyone is free to use whatever they think is best for their situation.
Hantarex Polo 15KHz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 2GB (GCN)
GroovyMAME 0.197.017h_d3d9ex
CRT Emudriver & CRT Tools 2.0 beta 13 (Crimson 16.2.1 for GCN cards)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4.8GHz
ASUS Z87M-PLUS Motherboard

jcrouse

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2010, 05:53:51 pm
    • CPViewer
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2006, 02:57:24 pm »
Another thing I don't like is the "clown car" color scheme and "improved" UI.  I know that I can turn it off but I don't really see why they did it at all since it looks awful.

We politely refer to that as the "Fisher-Price" interface. Very appropriate.

John

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2006, 06:39:55 pm »
Who's polite?

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2006, 07:19:55 pm »
Derrick, a BIG thanks for doing the work I was too lazy buzy to try to do! ;)  (Sounds like I hate RawInput as much as you do.)  And you came up with probably the best solution to the remapping problem with sysmouse.

As far as multiple lightguns go, here's my ~2 year old info on it on actlab lightguns (if you need it):  directX directInput on winME can do lightguns in both relative and absolute mode with the original actlab USB & TV lightguns.  Some games in mame seem to be be accurate in rel mode, other in abs mode.  Of course, this was back when mame's core stored the analog info in ~256 values (-128 to 128), unlike the current 128K. 
(Ignoring system mouse, of course) Abs mode had a ~0-64k range but rel had a max delta of ~[+-]32k, as printed to screen in test code.  However, I had to do some hacks so that (I think) the code was treating the rel mode as if it had a [+-]64k delta, or mame core could store 128 values (-64 to 64 delta); none of the relative stuff made sense to me, but that's what worked.

As you probably know, Jake did virtually all the rawInput code used in Analog+, but I know enough that it used relative mode in the multiple lightgun w/ rawInput function, and translated the input to a -128 to 128 delta and pasted to the core delta.

So MameAnalog+ had four ways to do multiple lightguns: the official mame win32 dual lightgun way, directInput relative way, directInput absolute way, and RI relative way.  As I said, some games were more accurate across the whole sceen and over short distances with absolute, others with relative directInput.  I hope the core changes since than will let you use one or the other directInput mode, and you kill the current win32 API way.

I like the new core analog input stuff added since 0.84, and they look much better suited for multiple lightgun support than the old way; I hope you prove me right.

If you need any more info, or a loan of a pair of old actlab USB, old actlab TV, or the new EMI guns, let me know.  I'll probably be slow in response, though.  (My CRT monitor is in the shop, so I can't test the actlab guns myself ATM.)

Oh, and about Howard: he's abrasive and doesn't know it all the time.  It's not unique to him; you probably heard of all the studies on email and messaging that show that 75%-90% of the emails/messages/posts do not read as the writer expected the reader to see it.  But Howard's very, umm...  Howard.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2006, 07:28:09 pm »
All right guys who see where Howard's coming from...  What is(are) his point(s)?

I see two:
He wants a name instead of a mouse number, and that saved to cfg & ctrlr files.
He wants the system mouse.
Am I missing any others?

Here's my 2 cents on these two points, starting from the the general, going to the latter issue, then the former.  (Mind that I very much see this from Derrick's view because I've been through this before, abit years ago.)

Both issues are about playability and user interface.  You know what that means: not important to mame's goal.
The code was written by one person, Derrick, based on Jake's code.  Not by "MameDev" as a whole.
I will not address the reasons Howard put forward, as Derrick addressed them already.

System Mouse:
In hindsight, I made a bad choice years ago and should have only allowed sysmouse with singlemouse enabled (or multiplemice disabled, depending on which analog+ version).  The support I had to give to the problems people had because of it, the limited times (aka never) that a person should use sysmouse & another mouse at the same time, the ugly code used because of sysmouse... yech.  IMO, the only time sysmouse should be used is if/when mame is run with a singlemouse option enabled. 
Until then, a ctrlr file with all mouse inputs (dial, trackball, and buttons) set to include mouse1 or mouse2 or mouse3 or .... or mouse8 will do the trick fine.  This does have some limits that with a sysmouse would not, but not very many, and is way more flexible.  (I prefer flexibility over ease, others might feel different.)
Does mame NEED sysmouse or, IMO better, a single mouse option?  No, but a single mouse option would be extra frosting on the cake.  Sysmouse included while multiple mousing should be avoided.

Mouse Name:
I don't think this is a mouse issue.  I think this is a joystick AND mouse issue in the current mame (joystick since 0.84). 
Mame's cfg & ctrlr files save both joystick & mouse with numbers, not their names. 
Both mouse & joy have renumbering problems with two devices that claim to be the exact same device (due to USB boot-time race conditions, not mame). 
Both would have naming numbering problems with any two devices that share the same name. 
(In winXP) Both can use any port-type device (USB, PS/2, gameport, serial, ect).
(In winXP) Joysticks can have one (1) "primary" joystick, the others number in whatever way windows number them.  Mice can't set a primary mouse, but otherwise they're the same.  (Even more so, from what I hear, since setting primary joystick doesn't aways work for everyone.)

Complaining that the new rawInput code doesn't do more than mame's older-but-still-used joystick code misses the real problem.  Especially since the new rawInput code makes each mouse look to a user almost like a joystick.  More especially since rawInput makes names very very hard, compared to directInput & joysticks.  IMO, both the joystick and the mouse naming problem should be addressed together (if possible).

To sum up my 2 cents:
"No sysmouse" has a simple work around, the "no mouse name" shouldn't be even looked at by itself but together with the related joystick issue.
Robin
Knowledge is Power

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2006, 08:19:20 pm »
Act Labs is being a lot more co-operative then EMS.  So my main concern is to get multiple (2+) guns working for them.  If it works for TopGun down the road, then great.

Removing -dual_lightgun will have no affect on you.

In the meantime don't get worked up over it until I get the Act Labs guns and have the code fully tested.  The Act Labs guns should work automatically with the new code in multi-gun mode.

May be jumping the gun here, but thought I'd just mention something about the TopGuns:

They have hard-coded co-ordinates. So whatever area/size you calibrate them to they pass:

X Min =  160
X Max =  672
Y Min = 32
Y Max = 224

In Hex:

X Min =  A0
X Max =  2A0
Y Min = 20
Y Max = EO

Also, sorry to hear EMS are not co-operating. What kind of info are you after? If its driver related, then I know Smog has been updating his HID-input Guncon(mouse) driver, and now has a Topgun mode where it uses the above values (I believe). New (14/3/06) Driver is here:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/smogdragon/

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 30, 2018, 11:06:19 am
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2006, 09:59:06 pm »
Also, sorry to hear EMS are not co-operating. What kind of info are you after?
When I contacted Act Labs, their response was 'great, how can we help?'  EMS response was 'that's great, good luck with that.'  :)

D.

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2006, 10:41:34 pm »
Hi Robin,

I wanted to mention you in this thread, but then it went down hill, so I did not want to drag you into it.  ;)

But now that you are here, I want to also extend credit to you for my recent addition.  While I did not look at analog+ for my code, I just used Jake's raw_mouse.c, your code was instrumental in my work.

I'm not sure that everyone knows the current Win98/Me support in MAME is your work.  If it was not there, it would have been harder to add the RAWMOUSE support.  But because it was there, my code just plugged right in.

The rest of your analog+ code that helps with real controls would be nice to salvage one day too.  I have mentioned elsewhere that I would like to create some kind of real-input system for MAME, but that's a long way off.

The code was written by one person, Derrick, based on Jake's code.  Not by "MameDev" as a whole.
I will not address the reasons Howard put forward, as Derrick addressed them already.
And most of his complaints, other the system mouse, had nothing to do with me.  And IMHO nothing to do with MAMEdev.  It is not our fault that handling controls is such a pain in windows.  Why is MAME at fault for not jumping through hoops to patch all of windows little nuances?  Talk to MS.  Anyways, further discussion here will only go downhill.

System Mouse:
In hindsight, I made a bad choice years ago and should have only allowed sysmouse with singlemouse enabled (or multiplemice disabled, depending on which analog+ version).  The support I had to give to the problems people had because of it, the limited times (aka never) that a person should use sysmouse & another mouse at the same time, the ugly code used because of sysmouse... yech.  IMO, the only time sysmouse should be used is if/when mame is run with a singlemouse option enabled. 
Until then, a ctrlr file with all mouse inputs (dial, trackball, and buttons) set to include mouse1 or mouse2 or mouse3 or .... or mouse8 will do the trick fine.  This does have some limits that with a sysmouse would not, but not very many, and is way more flexible.  (I prefer flexibility over ease, others might feel different.)
Does mame NEED sysmouse or, IMO better, a single mouse option?  No, but a single mouse option would be extra frosting on the cake.  Sysmouse included while multiple mousing should be avoided.
Thanks for backing me up on this.  Including sysmouse only complicates the code.  And would make my upcoming lightgun code a pain.  It really is not hard to make a ctrlr file.  And as I have stated before, no one would suggest that all joysticks should be mapped together by default.

Mouse Name:
I don't think this is a mouse issue.  I think this is a joystick AND mouse issue in the current mame (joystick since 0.84). 
Mame's cfg & ctrlr files save both joystick & mouse with numbers, not their names. 
Both mouse & joy have renumbering problems with two devices that claim to be the exact same device (due to USB boot-time race conditions, not mame). 
Both would have naming numbering problems with any two devices that share the same name. 
(In winXP) Both can use any port-type device (USB, PS/2, gameport, serial, ect).
(In winXP) Joysticks can have one (1) "primary" joystick, the others number in whatever way windows number them.  Mice can't set a primary mouse, but otherwise they're the same.  (Even more so, from what I hear, since setting primary joystick doesn't aways work for everyone.)

Complaining that the new rawInput code doesn't do more than mame's older-but-still-used joystick code misses the real problem.  Especially since the new rawInput code makes each mouse look to a user almost like a joystick.  More especially since rawInput makes names very very hard, compared to directInput & joysticks.  IMO, both the joystick and the mouse naming problem should be addressed together (if possible).
Thanks.  This is what started my rant, because someone is under the false impression that all of this is MAMEdev's fault.  Maybe if the huge MS corp had made this easier and less buggy to do, the the small hobbyist of MAMEdev would not have to waste their time trying to make stuff work in all circumstances.

I know people think MAMEdev is some huge conglomerate whose only goal is to annoy the masses, but it really is just hobbyist.  How many times must people be told that we are not there to serve their whims.  If they have great ideas that must be in MAME, then code them and submit them like everyone else.  Oops I'm starting to rant.

Anyways, I have added code that uses the RAWMOUSE name to look up the real mouse device name in the registry.  Of course this does nothing other then to report the names in -verbose mode just like the joysticks.  But it is even worse in XP because, most mice just rely on windows\inf\input.inf for their name which makes them show all as "HID-compatible mouse."

I now have to convince the lightgun makers to supply an inf that names their device.  Or someone could maintain an input.inf file with all the known lightguns, mice and joysticks named.  Any takers?  This would be easier then trying to get all the companies on-board.  EDIT- Have found where the name is stored.

As for marrying an input device to a MAME input, there is more then just the name needed.  You really need to use the guidInstance field.  That is the only unique way of doing it.  And of course it is MAMEdev's fault that the GUID reported for a device in the registry has no bearing on the GUID reported by RAWMOUSE.   ;)

To sum up my 2 cents:
"No sysmouse" has a simple work around, the "no mouse name" shouldn't be even looked at by itself but together with the related joystick issue.
Sanity prevails.

Lets finish up with some good news.  First people won't be hearing much from me for a while.   ;D  Second, I just received the Act-labs guns, so testing and coding will now commence.

D.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 10:28:54 am by Derrick Renaud »

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2006, 10:42:21 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't help. From my emails with them, it is very apparent English is not their native language...

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2006, 11:14:23 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't help. From my emails with them, it is very apparent English is not their native language...
I agree about the English part.  But it is quite clear that their policy is to just help users getting the guns working as is.  I'm on my own if I want to improve things.  They did state that they are working on a proper driver, but it will be a while.  But their policy forbids supporting me.  Even though they promote their guns to be used with MAME.

So my priority is to improve the Actlabs support, allowing them to use as many guns as you want without -dual_lightgun.  If that helps the topgun, then that is just a side effect at the moment.

That is all I will say on the subject.  But I will state one last time, don't worry about it at this point.  With their supplied drivers, it will never be plug and play with MAME.  They only begin to work when using 3rd party drivers.

D.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 11:19:39 am by Derrick Renaud »

dabone

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2023, 12:03:37 pm
  • Time to work...
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2006, 12:23:59 am »
Derrick, I would like to say one thing about your work...

THANK YOU.

(I've had 2 USB guns for over 2 years now, and it's going to be great to not have to argue with older versions of analog mame... (No offence urebel))

I could care less about names/raw mouse/etc just as long as mame can tell what mouse is pulling the *(*^(^&*%*&%*& trigger..

Thanks again for your hard work.

Later,
dabone

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2006, 10:31:01 am »
I tried a third computer and the mice positions in the installed list jump around on it.  Way to go MS.

Not a high priority to fix MS bugs though.

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2006, 11:01:09 am »
So my priority is to improve the Actlabs support, allowing them to use as many guns as you want without -dual_lightgun.  If that helps the topgun, then that is just a side effect at the moment.

This is sort of sad news, I was hoping that the topgun guns would quickly work as well or better than the act guns to give act a little competition so maybe the price would drop from the absurd price of $169 a pair.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2006, 11:04:54 am »
This is sort of sad news, I was hoping that the topgun guns would quickly work as well or better than the act guns to give act a little competition so maybe the price would drop from the absurd price of $169 a pair.

I don't think Derrick should have to worry about it.  Let's not forget Acorn & Smog's drivers were not intended for the LCDTopGun (it wasn't even released).  I'm sure in time all will be well.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:01:52 pm
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2006, 11:08:46 am »
I tried a third computer and the mice positions in the installed list jump around on it.  Way to go MS.

Not a high priority to fix MS bugs though.

The order can change in Linux too.  I've seen my mouse order change based on whether I have another device (keyboard) plugged in or not.  ::)
In advmame in linux using the event interface, it first sorts by device name and then by system order.  This works real nice of course when you have either different mice or sequentially named units like groovygamegears optiwiz and other usb devices RandyT sells.  As long as you keep things plugged in, they will always be in the correct order in mame and everything stays mapped just right.

Anyway, great job on adding that functionality.  Its nice to have options.

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2006, 05:43:18 pm »

I don't think Derrick should have to worry about it.  Let's not forget Acorn & Smog's drivers were not intended for the LCDTopGun (it wasn't even released).  I'm sure in time all will be well.

I don't think he should worry, I was just babbling.   I just hope someone will ship a pallet or 2 of these lcdtopguns to the US/UK so the price shipped can get down to around $35 each, to help drive the price of the act-labs guns down close to that level.   I'm just a little afraid if they don't work near perfect in mame, nobody will put up the money to ship enough of them over here at once to get the price down, causing act to rethink their pricing.   With the LCDtopGuns at $50+ shipped and not working as well as the act ones, act has no reason at all to go down.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2006, 05:53:11 pm »
With the LCDtopGuns at $50+ shipped and not working as well as the act ones, act has no reason at all to go down.

I disagree.  I don't know anyone who has been able to make dual act lab guns work with MAME.  And I don't know anyone with two LCD TopGuns who isn't playing mame wonderfully with them.  Those guns ROCK.  And it was only $94 for two of them, shipped.  So the price is only $47 per gun.

You are right though that someone should import a huge ass pallet of them.  Because I would have loved to pay only $35 or so for them.

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2006, 06:01:22 pm »
With the LCDtopGuns at $50+ shipped and not working as well as the act ones, act has no reason at all to go down.

I disagree.  I don't know anyone who has been able to make dual act lab guns work with MAME.  And I don't know anyone with two LCD TopGuns who isn't playing mame wonderfully with them.  Those guns ROCK.  And it was only $94 for two of them, shipped.  So the price is only $47 per gun.

Well with Derrick working to make the act guns work correctly in mame, soon the act guns should work better than the lcd topguns, I was hoping the would soon both be working equally well, so they would be put in a head to head price war.

$47 is pretty close to $50 and if you buy just one they cost more than $50 ;-P

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2006, 06:14:26 pm »
(Is there a head blowing up emoticon?)

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2006, 01:27:16 am »
Well with Derrick working to make the act guns work correctly in mame, soon the act guns should work better than the lcd topguns, I was hoping the would soon both be working equally well, so they would be put in a head to head price war.

I am absolutely disagreed.

Derrick is working in a new driver for the lightgun. He asked for support to ActLabs and EMS, and he got support only from ActLabs. But Smog can help him with the LCDTopGun (it is a Guncon2 compatible) and Guncon2. Derrick is not working only for ActLabs guns. I am sure if thenew driver works with the ActLabs guns, it will work with the LCDTopGun and the Guncon2 gun.

****EDIT ****
Don't Panic, please.

BTW, I have 2 pairs of ActLabs gun (2 PC USB and 2 TV USB) and 3 LCDTopGuns, and those last one are definitely the best guns.

sWampy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2006, 09:49:48 am »

Derrick is working in a new driver for the lightgun. He asked for support to ActLabs and EMS, and he got support only from ActLabs. But Smog can help him with the LCDTopGun (it is a Guncon2 compatible) and Guncon2. Derrick is not working only for ActLabs guns. I am sure if thenew driver works with the ActLabs guns, it will work with the LCDTopGun and the Guncon2 gun.

But if you read his comments he pretty much said act was working with him,  ems could blow chunks, if the new mame code worked with them ok, if it didn't so what.   Bottom line is if the lcdtopguns easily work as good as or better than the act guns when this is over, someone will buy a pallet of the guns bring them over here, and their price will drop to $35 or so each shipped.   If this happens, act will have to drop their price.

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2006, 09:58:45 am »

But if you read his comments he pretty much said act was working with him,  ems could blow chunks, if the new mame code worked with them ok, if it didn't so what.   Bottom line is if the lcdtopguns easily work as good as or better than the act guns when this is over, someone will buy a pallet of the guns bring them over here, and their price will drop to $35 or so each shipped.   If this happens, act will have to drop their price.

I understood your point of view. But I think EMS would help Derrick, but at this moment we are working in a new version of EMS driver and (I think) they don't know where they are going to... They have got lost.

If it not the case, EMS must help Derrick if we want to sell a LDCTopGun for PC.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 10:01:20 am by Cananas »

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2006, 10:06:30 am »
Judging by the fact that there is a 27-page thread about them here, there WILL be support for dual LCD TopGuns in MAME. . .

Whether that will happen due to Derrick's next code fix, revised EMS drivers, Smog or Acorn writing new drivers, or Silver or MikeQ revising MAME to work with whichever drivers work best with them, one way or another it WILL happen.

There is too much interest in them for it NOT to happen.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Cananas

• Offline Offline
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2006, 10:22:35 am »
Judging by the fact that there is a 27-page thread about them here, there WILL be support for dual LCD TopGuns in MAME. . .

Whether that will happen due to Derrick's next code fix, revised EMS drivers, Smog or Acorn writing new drivers, or Silver or MikeQ revising MAME to work with whichever drivers work best with them, one way or another it WILL happen.

I have wrote an e-mail to EMS Henry asking him to help and support to Derrick and MAME.

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2006, 11:01:08 am »

I have wrote an e-mail to EMS Henry asking him to help and support to Derrick and MAME.

Once again, don't worry about things that are not done yet per this post:
That is all I will say on the subject.  But I will state one last time, don't worry about it at this point.  With their supplied drivers, it will never be plug and play with MAME.  They only begin to work when using 3rd party drivers.

D.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2006, 04:48:57 pm »
I have to confess I didn't fully understand all the technical stuff earlier in this thread, and maybe what I'm about to suggest isn't even possible, but FWIW this is how I would approach the handling of USB devices in MAME.

First of all I'd provide a command line switch which would simply list all the USB HID devices connected to the computer, the ports they're connected to, their device IDs and any other useful info.

After a bit of plugging and unplugging this switch would enable all the device IDs, and the numbering of the USB ports to be determined.

Then armed with this info the user could add commands such as the following to the MAME configuration file.

Joystick1 = usb_device_whose_id_is(n)

Joystick2 = usb_device_connected_to_port(m)

etc.

Obviously the actual syntax would be a bit less clumsy.

The mapping process would normally only take place once when MAME was first run. However, there would be an option within the tab menu to enable the devices to be remapped if you wanted to plug and unplug things during a game.

"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

Santoro

• Purveyor of Shiny Arcade Goodness
  • Santoro
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 23, 2023, 07:05:04 pm
  • Boycott Quarters!!!
    • ArcadeReplay!
« Reply #71 on: March 23, 2006, 10:43:43 pm »
It's nice to see Mamedev participation here even if it's to defend against accusations.  Derrick, thanks to you are the rest of the devs.  Most of us appreciate your work incredibly.

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2006, 10:03:40 am »
When I contacted Act Labs, their response was 'great, how can we help?'  EMS response was 'that's great, good luck with that.'   

LOL :D Derrick .. I hate to say "I told you" :D
However, I've realized that I've never thank you for your work on the lightgun topic, and probably I'll never do much as you owe ... If there is anything I can do for you (I guess you solved the issue, with the location name ... ) I'll be happy to help as soon as I finish to set up my new PC.
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

Derrick Renaud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2006, 11:42:30 am »
When I contacted Act Labs, their response was 'great, how can we help?'  EMS response was 'that's great, good luck with that.'   

LOL :D Derrick .. I hate to say "I told you" :D
However, I've realized that I've never thank you for your work on the lightgun topic, and probably I'll never do much as you owe ... If there is anything I can do for you (I guess you solved the issue, with the location name ... ) I'll be happy to help as soon as I finish to set up my new PC.

I sent you an e-mail last night to the contact name on your smogdragon site.

As for the LocationName, it is not really solved, but I don't think it is something you can do anything about.  When the gun is first plugged in, the parent USB device sends a name from the device to be used by the parent HID USB driver.  That is the LocationName it uses.  And it seems that EMS used a name of "USB Device".

In XP device manager, just look at the HID devices, on the general info page, near the top is a field called Location:.  That is the field that the USB device supplies to the driver.

use the MAME -verbose command to see mouse names.  In XP, I have to search the registry for the same info that DX usually supplies.

D.