Main > Woodworking

How to make a Top Mount or Under Mount Joystick Jig

<< < (4/12) > >>

Grauwulf:
 :notworthy: I agree, this needs to be made a sticky.

Now that I've seen how easy it is to make a template i think I will be making one to recess my trackball plates as well.

Howard_Casto:
I like the jigg making tutorial as it's useful for those who aren't used to making such things but isn't this a tad overkill?

It doesn't matter if the recess your joystick fits in is sloppy or not.  As long as it fits in the recess you are good.  Seems like an awful lot of work for something that's on the bottom side of your cp and thus nobody is ever gonna see. 

Timoe:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on August 14, 2006, 04:48:00 am ---I like the jigg making tutorial as it's useful for those who aren't used to making such things but isn't this a tad overkill?

It doesn't matter if the recess your joystick fits in is sloppy or not.  As long as it fits in the recess you are good.  Seems like an awful lot of work for something that's on the bottom side of your cp and thus nobody is ever gonna see. 

--- End quote ---

For the particular project this template was made for, people do see the underside because the bottom is made of plexiglass.

And I was able to use a similar jig for my more recent 4 player panel with 5 joysticks.  having a template SEVERELY reduced the assembly time.

But I agree, if you only plan on building 1 control panel in your life time, then making a jig is a waste of time.

But I enjoy the work  :cheers:

Howard_Casto:
Ahh, I see why you needed it then.  ;D

Actually unless you are doing the steps backwards it shouldn't effect construction time at all.  Your paper template should have a joystick-sized hole with an x on it to mark it's center.  Once you have it on the piece of wood you place the joystick base upside-down on the top of the cp.  Center the joystick with the x, mark your bolt holes and drill all the holes.  Now you simply flip it over, line up with the holes and trace the outline of the base.  Now route the heck out of it. 

This method should actually be quicker for most people as the common layout templates have a hole or center point marking the area where the joystick should be rather than a outline of the base (plus different joysticks have different base sizes).  It's much more difficult to figure out where the joystick shaft will end up when you are using your style of template than to simply drill the shaft hole first and then route the recess. 

Again though, I think in general a jigg making tutorial needed to be on here though so good work. 

Now if you were to expand upon the idea and make jiggs of various common layouts (to enable a person to only use the router and eliminate those tiresome drill bits for the button holes)  then that might be more useful and time saving.  Of course then you have to drill holes for the buttons anyway to get the trim bit in, so it might be more trouble than it's worth. 

Ed_McCarron:

--- Quote from: Howard_Casto on August 14, 2006, 10:57:49 am ---Ahh, I see why you needed it then.  ;D

Actually unless you are doing the steps backwards it shouldn't effect construction time at all.  Your paper template should have a joystick-sized hole with an x on it to mark it's center.  Once you have it on the piece of wood you place the joystick base upside-down on the top of the cp.  Center the joystick with the x, mark your bolt holes and drill all the holes.  Now you simply flip it over, line up with the holes and trace the outline of the base.  Now route the heck out of it. 

This method should actually be quicker for most people as the common layout templates have a hole or center point marking the area where the joystick should be rather than a outline of the base (plus different joysticks have different base sizes).  It's much more difficult to figure out where the joystick shaft will end up when you are using your style of template than to simply drill the shaft hole first and then route the recess. 

Again though, I think in general a jigg making tutorial needed to be on here though so good work. 

Now if you were to expand upon the idea and make jiggs of various common layouts (to enable a person to only use the router and eliminate those tiresome drill bits for the button holes)  then that might be more useful and time saving.  Of course then you have to drill holes for the buttons anyway to get the trim bit in, so it might be more trouble than it's worth. 

--- End quote ---

I think, what Howard is trying to say is "Thanks for the cool tutorial.", but for some reason its coming out "You're a moron and I know better."

EDit:  Gee, that sounded harsh.  Oh well.  My biggest problem with the router is making a jig so things actually look good.  Thanks again!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version