Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: What's next  (Read 18498 times)

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: What's next
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2006, 12:21:12 pm »
You think so? Okay then, back to the drawing board. How does Xlink Kai communicate between different console systems?
That's IP tunneling.  That tech has been around forever.

I will try to explain it.  Let's say you want to play a friend.  You have Xlink Kai on your computer, he has it on his.   It will monitor your lan traffic for xbox protocol requests (system link stuff).  When it sees the ip traffic it will send it to your buddy's computer which will send it to his xbox.

g1275

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2008, 11:50:17 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2006, 03:42:10 pm »
I used to use kaillera all the time and if you had a decent computer/connection and u knew how to punch port holes through your firewall there wasn't much lag at all for the games that I liked to play (tmnt, simpsons, street fighter, etc.) It wasn't just for MAME either, kaillera worked quite well for NES, SNES, and Genesis as well. But I think the biggest advantage to kaillera was when I would play through different floors on the same network, like a system link. If you wanted to have a good game of the Simpsons, had two cabinets, and wanted to give the players more space, kaillera would do that.  Kaillera even worked well for a select few games of N64 like mario kart.

I will say kaillera wasn't exactly what you would call "user-friendly", it took a bit of finagling to understand the system link, some servers weren't as reliable as others, and it was a bit buggy at times, etc. I would definitely like to see an easier version of netplay in MAME, but who ever decides to do it is sure to have their work cut out for them.

GoPodular.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2008, 10:09:55 pm
    • GOPODULAR!
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2006, 09:29:28 pm »
(and another thing to piss off the MAMEdevs).

If they don't want it, then there's no reason to add it.  I didn't know they had said anything though.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2006, 07:28:30 am »
(and another thing to piss off the MAMEdevs).

If they don't want it, then there's no reason to add it.  I didn't know they had said anything though.
http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=63129&page=&view=&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

Although, as I read it, their main issue is failure to release source code changes and support of newer games, not net play itself - but I could be wrong about that.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2006, 07:00:29 pm »
RE: What's Next.

Well if someone has some time on there hands a universal input system would be handy:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=51156.msg501117#msg501117

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2006, 05:14:59 am »
Not gonna happen silver. 

See I've been on a mission to "fix" the input system for sometime in mame.  See the sad thing is, in many cases they WANT those hacks/inaccuracies.  Case in point the lightgun/analog gun deal.  It used to be seperate so I have no clue why they merged it, especially considering you can't really play analog games with a lightgun anyway. 

Now your next question is "What does that have to do with powermame?"  Well the fact of the matter is, changing inputs is so incredibly complicated that keeping up a custom build with these specific changes would prove to be impossible.  Input functions of all effected games would have to be modified and thus any input changes to a game would have to be looked at manually.  Plus any added games wouldn't be effected by the diff file and thus they'd have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis.

That copuled with the fact that mame's input functions are in a constant state of flux (read constant state of people adding bad code, it gets added and then it's "fixed" back the way it was originally months later) It'd be a full time job just to add that one feature. 

Plus it wouldn't be particularly useful considering the only practical use for a  change to the input system (in name only) would be projects like controls.dat which don't nor will ever support unofficial builds when it comes to documentation. 

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2006, 09:38:11 pm »
Mike, not really PM related, but if you are getting a little tired with PM and need to work on something else for a bit, I'm (and others) are still dying for Windows drivers for the ZVG.

Please?

Please :)

Please!
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2006, 03:02:13 pm »
Hows about a Randomize attract mode LWA possiblility . This way you can make 3 or 4 different LWAs and when in attract it will select one at random, adding a little variety.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

MikeQ

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2006, 03:46:46 pm »
Mike, not really PM related, but if you are getting a little tired with PM and need to work on something else for a bit, I'm (and others) are still dying for Windows drivers for the ZVG.

Please?

Please!

I offered my services to Zon and never got a rreply.

XtraSmiley

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 06, 2024, 09:29:46 pm
  • Kill the Big Dog
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2006, 03:56:38 pm »

Please?

Please!

Yeah, he's a busy guy.  FORGET ABOUT HIM!  His stuff us open source and he's agreed to let me find someone in the past to do this.  Just tell me what you need.
hearingprotectionBIGDOG@yahooBIGDOG.com

Kill the Dog man.

MikeQ

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2006, 08:14:38 pm »

Please?

Please!

The DOS driver is open source.  You have no idea what it takes to create a windows driver.  It needs to be a Kernal mode driver and programming the ZVG is the easy part.  Kernel drivers are a lot of work.

Yeah, he's a busy guy.  FORGET ABOUT HIM!  His stuff us open source and he's agreed to let me find someone in the past to do this.  Just tell me what you need.