Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: More Lighting Features  (Read 7577 times)

MikeQ

• Trade Count: (0)
More Lighting Features
« on: February 24, 2006, 10:27:12 am »
Here is a feature I'm thinking of adding to the lighting. 

Run "attract mode" lighting until a coin is inserted.

Run a "coin insert" lighting event when coins are dropped.

Thoughts?

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2023, 09:38:52 am
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
Re: More Lighting Features
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2006, 10:30:52 am »
Those would be nice options to add; I know I'll be using them!
Could there also be an option to end the "attract mode" lighting once any button (not just coin) is pressed, and restart attract mode if no buttons are pressed for X minutes?

MikeQ

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2006, 11:07:53 am »
Those would be nice options to add; I know I'll be using them!
Could there also be an option to end the "attract mode" lighting once any button (not just coin) is pressed, and restart attract mode if no buttons are pressed for X minutes?

Can do.  I like both.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 04:58:04 pm »
I like the lite event upon coin drop idea.
Hey what if when you selected a game, you could have a transition lighting effect. So if it was in attract and you selected a game all lights would fade out then fade into the button config. for that game.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 05:05:15 pm »
I like the lite event upon coin drop idea.
Hey what if when you selected a game, you could have a transition lighting effect. So if it was in attract and you selected a game all lights would fade out then fade into the button config. for that game.

That would be a feature for a frontend to address, not PowerMAME. Kymaera (and I think MameWah) could do this by sending an LWA for each specific game to the LEDWiz just before PowerMAME is executed.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 09:55:26 pm »
But isn't PM32 a frontend of sorts?
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

JoyMonkey

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:28:03 pm »
But isn't PM32 a frontend of sorts?

Oh yeah, I forgot that some people use Mame32 in cabs. My bad.

MikeQ

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2006, 08:35:58 pm »
OK, here's a question.  I've been asked a few times about making the player start buttons flash when credits are pending on all games instead of just the supported Atari games.  I might be able to support this with the current method MAME uses but don't know for sure.  Haven't looked at how this is implemented.  Since people are probably using PowerMAME for its lighting capabilty, I could support this same feature purely through the LEDwiz.

What do people think?

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 01:31:02 am »
I'd be in favor of this.  Lit buttons are all the rage, now give the buttons need a reason to be lit.

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 08:48:39 am »
I'd be in favor of this.  Lit buttons are all the rage, now give the buttons need a reason to be lit.
Amen

My 49 ways and encoders should arrive today from Randy. My next big expense will be my LEDWiz and buttons. I am hoping that I can do this within a month. Then I can actually play with the stuff. 
M    Y    X

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 03:10:30 pm »
OK, here's a question.  I've been asked a few times about making the player start buttons flash when credits are pending on all games instead of just the supported Atari games.  I might be able to support this with the current method MAME uses but don't know for sure.  Haven't looked at how this is implemented.  Since people are probably using PowerMAME for its lighting capabilty, I could support this same feature purely through the LEDwiz.

What do people think?

Mike, I think this is tougher than you think.  I may be misremembering, but the way MAME did it was through the driver.  You can see the start lamp code in the specific atari drivers.  I suspect to "generalize" this feature you would need to add a decent amount of code in order to move the functionality "up" into core MAME.

I looked at it a while back and it looked somewhat daunting.

Anyway, not to discourage you, beacuse you are doing great stuff.  Just a heads up I guess.

MikeQ

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 10:09:54 pm »

What do people think?

Mike, I think this is tougher than you think.  I may be misremembering, but the way MAME did it was through the driver.  You can see the start lamp code in the specific atari drivers.  I suspect to "generalize" this feature you would need to add a decent amount of code in order to move the functionality "up" into core MAME.

Anyway, not to discourage you, beacuse you are doing great stuff.  Just a heads up I guess.

I think it could be done in a round about way by looking at coin drops and start button presses.

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2006, 06:28:53 pm »

What do people think?

I think it could be done in a round about way by looking at coin drops and start button presses.
Could it be done so it also flashes the NL and CL LED's (like current MAME) so you could use either an LED-Wiz or the IPAC LED headers?
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

MikeQ

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2006, 10:38:58 pm »

What do people think?

Could it be done so it also flashes the NL and CL LED's (like current MAME) so you could use either an LED-Wiz or the IPAC LED headers?

sure.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2006, 11:44:31 am »
Okay, last night I ordered my lights, LEDWiz, my last two GPWiz49's for P3 and P4, so I should be in business soon to help with this.  I like the lighted start button idea, although I think I am going with black start buttons if possible. :-\  I do like the attract mode though.