Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Something a strange coin panel area!  (Read 7866 times)

AMDman13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2023, 09:21:58 pm
  • This Cab is going to be the end of me!!
Something a strange coin panel area!
« on: February 23, 2006, 10:05:20 pm »
First of all my cab basic construction is complete except for coin door panel and CP!!

Okay now for the strange part! The 26" coin (front) panel when slid into place sits flush at the base (which is exact 26"), but about half way up the coin panel it is no loner flush.! It is off starting at about half way and continuing gradually all the way to the top where it becomes about 1/16th off.

My first thought is the coin panel is not exact, but a quick measurement proves this is not the case.  :(

Next I begin to measure the distance of the cabinet sides and this is where the problem sits. The sides start out at exactly 26" at base, but then begins to become wider gradually. A check with the level and the sides are pretty much dead level.

Should also include,  all my panel pieces are exact 26"..

Anybody have any thoughts?? Help my insomnia is getting worse and worse! ;)
My old user name was marlborroman13, but I kicked the habit many years ago!

JeepMonkey

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
Re: Something a strange coin panel area!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 10:31:29 pm »
Are you saying that your cab has a slight bulge in the middle, assuming you are looking at the front?

If so, could you put a cross member in the center to help bring the center inwards?
Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:53:04 pm »
Thanks for the reply..Yes that is exactly what I am saying. From about the center it just starts to bow out to 1/16" wider.. Measuring 26 and 1/16  I thought about this, but I bought a Happs over/under coin mech to install and as we all know this is quite large....  And this would probably be dead center in the way. BTW coin door bought from Ebay used and is basically mint... 35.00!!! ;D Bidding ended and he still had like 17 available. If anyone interested PM me and I will give you seller info.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 11:55:42 pm by marlborroman13 »

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2006, 12:07:04 am »
Are you hinging the front panel or making it permanent?  If your not going to hinge it, then the sides should have enough give to move in 1/32'' on each side (or even 1/16' on one side), so just push them in when screwing in the front panel.  If you are hinging it, then do like JeepMonkey said and add a small brace to pull it in, should be pretty easy to do.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2006, 08:19:58 am »
To hinge or not to hinge. I'll; have to admit I'm undecided on this. Originally my plans were not to and just use the bottom door of the coin mech to access the cd/dvd rom. Any thoughts? Atomsmasher, did you hinge?

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2006, 08:36:31 am »
I just used 2 latches instead of a hinge.  I just reach into the coindoor to unhook the latches in order to remove the entire front door.  This way I get easy access to the computer if I need it.

Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2006, 11:30:06 am »
I hinged.  I like having the easy access to the insides, I suppose the latches would work just as good though.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2006, 07:45:19 pm »
Using a hinge the coin panel will sit on top (flush) with the left side panel correct? That would seem like it would leave a huge gap to me..

Other than being able to access the CD/DVD ROM and keyboard is there any other reason it is more convenient to hinge? I was thinking that if the front panel was fixed I could always reach the PC from the back for the occasional computer upgrade.. Do you find that you have to fiddle much with the PC that it makes it worth while?

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2006, 08:13:01 pm »
Using a hinge the coin panel will sit on top (flush) with the left side panel correct? That would seem like it would leave a huge gap to me..
I have no idea what you mean.  If you click on the picture in my sig it'll take you to my projects webpage and you can see where mine is mounted.

Other than being able to access the CD/DVD ROM and keyboard is there any other reason it is more convenient to hinge? I was thinking that if the front panel was fixed I could always reach the PC from the back for the occasional computer upgrade.. Do you find that you have to fiddle much with the PC that it makes it worth while?
After its all set up, no you don't have to fiddle with the computer much, so no, I guess it's not really all that useful now, especially since I can just reach in through the coin door.  Although if you want to have console systems in your cab (nintendo, ps2, x-box) you may want it hinged so you can easily change the games.  Its all just a matter of preference, I just like knowing I can get in there if I need to :)  Especially since I'm planning on upgrading the computer pretty soon.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2006, 08:40:23 pm »
Hey thanks again Atom! I have looked at your cab set up a million times since it's my fav! I must say I can't see a gap at all (which is sweet). I guess what I am trying to ask does it sit in front ( on top ) of the side panel or is the coin panel or door in your case still sit between the two side panels... Sorry for all of the confusion.

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2006, 10:16:44 pm »
Hey thanks again Atom! I have looked at your cab set up a million times since it's my fav! I must say I can't see a gap at all (which is sweet). I guess what I am trying to ask does it sit in front ( on top ) of the side panel or is the coin panel or door in your case still sit between the two side panels... Sorry for all of the confusion.
Ah, I understand now.  It sits in between, no different then if I attached its permanently.  The reason you can't see the gap is because its a very snug fit, it was a perfect fit before I painted it and the thickness of the paint made it a very tight fit, but thats a good thing I suppose.  Also, on the side opposite of the hinges, I put a small piece of wood that goes the entire height of the door, this not only makes sure the door always stops at the right spot, but it also blocks all light from from getting through, really masking the fact that its hinged. 

Heres a pic of the nasty interior of my cab, as you can see the right side is twice as thick as it should be, thats because of the piece of wood thats set back 3/4'' to stop the door (its hard to tell its set back 3/4'', but it is).
http://www.atomic-train.com/images/ArcadeCab/28.jpg

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2006, 10:29:16 pm »
Dang Atom... That really looks nice. I think I might change my mind about the hinge! Where did you bag the hinges from?

I was thinking today, I haven't place my monitor shelf. ( I was waiting to get my monitor/TV for that before I mount... ) So all of my cab's paneling is the back and very top. Maybe this is why the front of the sides panels begin to creap up to the 1/16" off.. No support in the middle or front???

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2006, 11:35:06 pm »
Dang Atom... That really looks nice. I think I might change my mind about the hinge! Where did you bag the hinges from?

I was thinking today, I haven't place my monitor shelf. ( I was waiting to get my monitor/TV for that before I mount... ) So all of my cab's paneling is the back and very top. Maybe this is why the front of the sides panels begin to creap up to the 1/16" off.. No support in the middle or front???
I got the hinges of Lowes, they're pretty standard recessed cabinet door hinges that you can get from most any hardware store. 

That makes sense about the monitor shelf, I bet when you secure that, it'll be fine.  One word of advice though, if your putting a TV in your cab you'll probably want to angle the monitor shelf.  I put mine in level like it shows how to do in the book, but it didn't look right with my tv.  I had to take the shelf off and reattach it, it didn't really hurt anything since you don't see that area anyways, but it was just annoying.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2006, 02:01:53 pm »
Thanks again Atom!

I was wondering about what you did with the monitor shelf. I agree. I'm holding out untill I get my screen. I'm trying to sell enough junk, so that I can afford a WGD9200, but this might just be a pipe dream... For now anyway.

AMDman13

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2006, 11:16:26 am »
Sorry guys, but I have another question regarding this area. Is the coin panel supposed to be recessed 1/4" or flush mounted? I would think that 1/4" recess would be better however, the base is not recessed. So, if I recess the coin panel the base will hang out 1/4"... Which looks like a nice spot to get damaged be little feet.  :-\

Any thoughts?

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2006, 11:33:29 am »
Sorry guys, but I have another question regarding this area. Is the coin panel supposed to be recessed 1/4" or flush mounted? I would think that 1/4" recess would be better however, the base is not recessed. So, if I recess the coin panel the base will hang out 1/4"... Which looks like a nice spot to get damaged be little feet.  :-\

Any thoughts?

I recessed the front door.  No problems yet.
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

AtomSmasher

• Offline Offline
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 03:55:52 pm »
I did not recess, but then I didn't  recess all the back panels either because of the misprint in the book.  I think flush mounted would look cleaner, but its just a matter of personal preference.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2006, 09:07:00 am »
Mine's not hinged, I ripped a 5.25" drive cage out of an old case and mounted it on the coin box, so it's easily accessible behind the top door:

(Yeah, it's a mess in there, this pic was taken during installation before all the cables got tied back)

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com