Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Favorite recipies?  (Read 158990 times)

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
Favorite recipies?
« on: February 20, 2006, 05:17:08 pm »
OK - after building out the basement and gameroom, I'm.... broke :)  With wife and I both working and kids having a variety of activities, we used to eat out/take out quite a lot.

Alright - confession time - when we moved into the house, we were there for three weeks before we discovered the oven didn't work (only had 110 instead of 220). And it was my mother-in-law who discovered it when she came over to cook dinner for everyone for some celebration.

Heh.

So anyway, now that we're officially broke, we're trying to cook at home more. I do 95% of the cooking as my wife's job has her working harder/longer than I do, and surprisingly I find that I enjoy it.

However, I'm in a rut with what I'm cooking, so I'm looking for easy and yummy recipies. I need to feed a family of 5, with three typically finicky kids. They have to eat what's served, but if everyone likes it it's a lot easier. Anyone have good recipies to share?

Guess I'll start out with a really easy but popular (with the kids) dinner.

Tuna glop.  Yes, that's the name. Tuna glop.

Ingredients:
Kraft Macaroni and Cheese
2 cans of tuna.
Butter, milk, flour.
Veggie of choice.
Crescent rolls (the kind in the tube)

- Make the mac and cheese first, start the rolls.
- Once mac and cheese is almost ready, start tunafish.
- Throw some butter in a frying pan, melt, and toss in the tuna.
- Warm up the tuna (not sure you can call it cooking since it's already cooked), salt mildly to taste, and then add milk and flour to create a thick sauce. Sauce should be somewhat thick -- add milk or flour to dilute/thicken to preference.

Dish up, I like the tuna glop and mac mixed best. 15 minutes to make, amazingly popular with the kids, palatable for the grownups.

---------

Anyone else?
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: Favorite recipies?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 05:29:10 pm »
If you've got a slow cooker, great.  If not, you're not broke enough to not buy one.  They're like $30-40.  Best invention known to man.

I don't have recipes I can rattle off the top of my head - the wife and I bought 2 HUGE slowcooker recipe books and we give something new a shot every once in a while.  Crockpot Lasagna is the shizzle, it's just like lasagna, without all the hard work.  Throw it in the pot in layers, and blammo, it's all good.

My mother-in-law often makes soups, as do I.  I'm making clam chowdah for dinner tonight.  Easy, and if you and the kids like it, it's wicked easy to make.  I just threw this together, so I know what's in this one.

7-8 potatoes
1 onion (I used a bag of pearl onions too - Vidalia's and pearls are my faves)
half pound salt pork or bacon (salt pork is better for flavor)
24 oz clams, minced (the can I usually get is minced)
32 oz half and half
3 cups of water
3-4 TBSP cornstarch

Saute the salt pork/bacon and onion until golden and throw in the slow cooker with the clams.  Add all the rest of the ingredients except the half and half and cornstarch. Cover and cook on high 3-4 hours on high, or 6-8 hours on low, or until vegetables are tender.  During the last hour of cooking, mix the cornstarch into 1 cup of half and half.  When it's blended in, add that and the remaining half and half and stir everything up.

I like using red potatoes, and once in a while, I'll throw in a half bag each of frozen corn and peas.

There's more, and if you've got a slow cooker, I'll hunt up that lasagna recipe. 
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 05:42:18 pm »
I've started adding to my kitchen tools. I don't have a slow cooker (is that the same as a crock-pot?) but everyone tells me I need one so it's on the list.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Crazy Cooter

• Senator Cooter was heard today telling the entire congressional body to STFU...
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 08:58:02 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:54:28 pm »
Anything in a crock-pot.

I have nothing else to contribute.  I'm not allowed in the kitchen.  I don't even know where the pans are  :angel:.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 06:07:57 pm »
This is going to sound funny, but I have the Cooking for Dummies book and it has awesome recipes and tips.  I like the meatloaf recipe (add a little cheese, this is WI), especially with cornbread muffins.

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2006, 06:10:57 pm »
Try http://www.recipezaar.com/     .    Lots of good recipes there.

Also, one of the chicks from the cooking channel Rachel Rae has a book out I got my wifey called Cooking for Kids in under 30 minutes.

And as far as crock pots, I find eveything I cook in it ends up tasting the same. Like Stew. Maybe I don't have the good recipes Drew has....

Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006, 06:49:40 pm »
Try http://www.recipezaar.com/     .    Lots of good recipes there.

Also, one of the chicks from the cooking channel Rachel Rae has a book out I got my wifey called Cooking for Kids in under 30 minutes.

And as far as crock pots, I find eveything I cook in it ends up tasting the same. Like Stew. Maybe I don't have the good recipes Drew has....

Stop dumping cans of stew in there all the time and it won't happen all the time! ;D

Yeah, a slow cooker is interchangeable with a crockpot.  I'm certain there's some fop who can explain ad nauseum the differences between the two, but around these here parts, they both mean the same thing.  Long, slow and low, that's essentially how they cook stuff in 'em. 

You can throw stuff in there in the morning before leaving for work, and when you get home, YOINK!, dinner's done!  It's almost impossible to burn stuff in there.  Homemade mac and cheese in the slow cooker is also good!  Shells, velveeta, some water (NEVER add milk at the beginning of a slow-cooker recipe unless it VERY SPECIFICALLY tells you to do so.  Curdled milk never mixes and it sucks), butter and milk near the end...oh daddy!

Also, never add spices at the beginning, same as the milk.  Add it near the end of cooking, otherwise all the flavor will get cooked out of it by the end.  And fresh spices - same thing. 

I'm not sure if Sam's Club still sells this one, but at the one by me, they sell a slow-cooker with two removeable inserts.  One is a big honkin' oval, the other one is an oval, but separated into two compartments, so you can do two dishes at once.  It also comes with a cover for the container and an insulated carrier with a heat pack. I think it cost us $50, but the extra bowl alone is worth the added cost. 

Something else that can be eaten as a main meal, or used as a dip for chips (or treat it like nachos and throw the chips on a plate and pour this over it).  Throw 2-3 cans of Hormel chili (if used as a dip, skip the beans in the chili), an equal number of packages of Philly cream cheese, and 8 oz of velveeta, cubed, for every can of chili.  Throw a touch of water in there, like half a cup, and heat it through.  BAM!  Good eatin's, with less than 10 minutes of prep time!  The amount of time needed to heat this - you can skip the slow cooker and just use a large pot on the stove over low heat, just make sure to stir often.

Franco

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2006, 08:16:47 pm »
God you yanks eat some crazy sh*t. Treat yourselves and get The Silver Spoon.

AtomSmasher

• I'm happy to fly below Saint's radar
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2022, 03:50:10 am
  • I'd rather be rich than stupid.
    • Atomic-Train
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2006, 08:34:17 pm »
Carrot Cake Soup - cut a carrot cake into 1'' cubes, put cubes in a bowl, fill bowl with milk.   MMMMmmm boy, good stuff for desert.   (no really, I didn't make this up)

markrvp

• ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! True Genius!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 14, 2020, 10:19:57 am
  • NFL Expert
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2006, 08:47:42 pm »
EASY BURRITOS

Brown a pound of hamburger meat in a pan.  Mix in taco mix (from a packet) and water.  Warm up a can of refried beans in the microwave.  Warm up some tortillas in the microwave.  Throw the beef, refried beans, cheese, sour cream, and picante sauce in the tortillas and you've got an easy and delicious meal.

Black olives are also good, but not necessary.  The cheese and sour cream really make it great.  You can use lowfat if you're concerned about calories.  You can also substitute ground turkey for the ground beef.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 09:10:26 pm »

Brown a pound of hamburger meat in a pan. 

If you don't want the little chunks that normally occur when doing this, throw in about an eigth of a cup of water and keep separating it with your spatula.  Nice even pieces like you'd find at Taco Bell - which is where I learned about this.

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 09:53:03 pm »
Stop dumping cans of stew in there all the time and it won't happen all the time! ;D

My imagination hasn't gone much further than meat, potatoes, carrots and broth. Guess thats why everything tastes like stew... :D

Also, never add spices at the beginning, same as the milk. 
 cooker and just use a large pot on the stove over low heat, just make sure to stir often.

Didn't realize that about the spices, I've always thrown em in at the beginning. Now the "it all tastes the same" is starting to make even more sense...I'll add em 1 hour before it ends. See if she tastes better...

If you don't want the little chunks that normally occur when doing this, throw in about an eigth of a cup of water and keep separating it with your spatula.  Nice even pieces like you'd find at Taco Bell - which is where I learned about this.

Doodz, you're a regular chef. Good tip, I'll try that next time I make em for the kids  ;D
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2006, 09:56:22 pm »
4 eight oz cans tomato sauce
16 oz water
1 can tomato paste
1 big onion, chopped
2 to 14 garlic cloves, chopped
6 strips bacon, cut up (unless you are Jewish)
1/2 cup semisweet choc chips
1 lb ground beef, browned
1 tbsp cumin or more to taste
2 tbsp chili powder or more to taste
1 tsp cayanne pepper
salt
2 bay leaves
1 can kidney beans, drained

take a pot, throw in the bacon over medium heat. Cook lightly until grease starts coming out. add tomato sauce and water and stir. Add onions, garlic, and chocolate. Add spices. reduce heat to med low.  cook, covered, stirring occasionally for 2 hrs. Add browned beef. Stir. cook another 45 minutes. add beans. cook another15 minutes. serve w/ grated cheddar and sour cream.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2006, 10:16:44 pm »
It's called simply - Forgotten

1 roast - about 2-3 lbs
4-5 potatoes, cut into chunks
2 onions, peeled and cut into chunks
1 packet of Lipton soup - whatever flavor floats your boat
1 can of Golden Mushroom condensed soup
1 can of Cream Of Celery soup
(I hate cooked carrots and celery - add them if you don't mind)

Dump in both cans of soup - DO NOT ADD WATER!  Stir to mix together
Throw the roast in, fat side down
Throw the potatoes in on the sides, then the onions (onions go in last if you add carrots and celery)
Throw the packet of soup mix on top, spreading it around. 

Cook on low in your slow cooker 7-8 hours. 

We have accidentally forgotten (hence the name) we had started this before we left for work, and did some other shopping and didn't get home until this had been in the slow cooker for almost 10 hours.  Other than a skin from the soup, the only other indicator was that it was so friggen tender it just fell apart with a fork!

I've got some Soup Nazi recipes too if anyone wants those.  There's far too much involved with those to be considered "easy", but the Sweet Potato soup and the Mulligatawny are to die for!

Jabba, I just like cooking and pick up stuff that helps the looks of stuff.  I DID want to be a chef way back when, but the restaurant biz is far too fickle and costly.  After seriously looking into starting a restaurant of my own, that idea just went RIGHT away!

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2006, 10:30:20 pm »
Simple baked macaroni is what mom throws on if she has NO TIME at all, or when I actually get up the energy to cook here at school.

- Cook up whatever pasta you'd like, although elbows work the absolute best IMO.
- Throw cooked pasta in a pan
- Add some butter, a can or two of Cream of Mushroom soup, and cheese of your choice (good      old American works for me)
- Mix everything to evenly coat
- Throw in the oven until everything is melted and nice and warm.

Some people like to top with bread crumbs of some sort.. but it's not my thing.  I prefer extra cheese over bread crumbs :)

It certainly isn't the fanciest thing around, but its dead simple, super quick, and only needs a few ingredients, most of which is probably in your kitchen already.  Its also nice and filling and usually a big hit with kids.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

JeepMonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2012, 01:51:24 pm
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2006, 11:03:21 pm »
Recipes from a newbie.

Tater Tot Casserole

Brown 1-2 pounds ground beef and put in a 9x13 casserole dish.  Season as you like.
Empty a can of cream of whatever soup.  Mushroom is always a favorite, I like to use onion.  Spread out over the top of the burger.
Add a pouch (couple cup size?) cheese evenly over the top of the soup.
Add a layer of tater tots over the top. 

Bake roughly at 375 for 20-30 minutes.  Basically what is takes to cook the tots.

I like to serve with crescent rolls (out of a tube).

Crock pots are great.
Rice, cream of mushroom soup and chicken, beef stew cubes or flank steak.
A Roast, potatos (I prefer red), and veggies.

Chicken Alfredo
Couple pounds of fettuccine noodles
2 packets of alfredo sauce
Couple pounds chicken

Pins:  Theatre Of Magic, JP The Lost World, Revenge From Mars

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2006, 11:08:42 pm »
an aumented version of baked macaroni. Instead of soup, use tomato sauce. Instead of American, use mozzarella. Throw in some ground beef.
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2006, 11:33:53 pm »
Here ya go.  I found this to send off to someone, and I figured I'd just post it.  The Soup Nazi recipes are from Top Secret Recipes.  It's been quite some time, so I don't remember exactly which are attributed to him, but I know the Sweet Potato soup, the Crab Bisque, and Mullagatawny are ones I know.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 12:14:02 am »
Sweet - thanks everyone and keep it coming!
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 12:39:22 am »
So many noodle casseroles here, I feel like I'm in college again :)

I'm not sure where you live, saint, but Trader Joe's has some really good sauces that make for easy meals.  Chop up some chicken breast, toss it in a skillet with the sauce serve over noodles or with rice and naan or tortillas or whatever and you've got a really really tasty meal.

Trader Joe's Punjab Spinach Simmer Sauce and Masala Simmer Sauce are both really good.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

farmecologist

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2021, 06:41:53 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 12:30:37 pm »

Awesome! Thanks for the soup Recipes Drew!

SOAPboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 01, 2009, 03:36:12 am
  • ..::GeeK::..
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 12:36:07 pm »

Brown a pound of hamburger meat in a pan. 

Nother good trick for browning, buy cheaper fatty meat.. :)

Nannuu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2022, 11:55:21 pm
  • Anytime now, I'll start my cabinet
    • Will and Liliana's Projects and Family Photos
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 01:29:53 pm »
Ok, this is my favorite recipe for Super Easy Lasagna

1 box of flat noodles
1 large bottle of Prego sauce (any kind)
1 small bag of pepperoni
1 lb of ground beef
1 bag of mixed grated cheese (or grate your own)

Brown the meat.
Warm oven to 350

In a 9x13 pan:
Add one layer of Prego sauce
Cover with one layer of noodles
Cover with cheese
Add a layer of pepperoni (pizza spacing)
One layer of Prego
Cover with one layer of noodles
Cover with cheese
One layer of Prego
One layer of noodles
Add the cooked ground beef
Add a layer of cheese
Cover with Al foil

Put in the oven for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until you can easily stick a knife to the bottom.  The Prego cooks the noodles so don't be shy with the sauce.
Next I'll be on fries, and that's when the big money starts rolling in.

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 01:49:37 pm »
We call this Chicken Surprise

In large pan, heat oil.  Brown Chicken breasts on both sides, on high.
When browned, toss in red pepper slices (fresh work good, so do canned)
Add 1 package of yellow Rice (we use Goya) and seasoning packet.
Add amount of water from rice box
cover, cook as long as it says on rice box (usually 20 mins)
with 10 mins left, toss in frozen peas.

This reminds me of Arroz con Polla from a portuguese restaurant.

If you want to use chicken pieces like thighs, you will have to cook the chicken through before starting the rice.

It also works good with frozen shrimp.

My kids will eat the chicken, rice, and peas.  they won't touch the red pepper slices.

Jacktucky
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Zero_Hour

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2022, 12:45:37 pm
  • Enjoying the irony of taking games seriously
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2006, 03:21:19 pm »
Chili - NO BEANS!

This is a pretty decent sized batch, but the bonus is it keeps in the fridge for a while, and while it's in there - it gets hotter!

3 lbs Top Sirloin cubed
1 lb Ground Beef (go cheap here, more fat is better)
1 lb Chorizzo Sausage (I prefer Bulk if you can get it, otherwise remove the casing and break up chorizzo links)

2 Medium to large yellow onions - Chopped
Garlic to taste (I use 6-10 cloves) - Chopped
1 cup Cilantro - Chopped

I pretty much have gotten to the point where I eyeball all my spices for this recipie, so measurements are my best guess -
1/2 - 3/4 cup chili powder
1 Tbspn Cumin
1 Tbspn Tumeric
1 Tbspn Paprika
1 Tbspn Salt
2 Cinnamon Sticks
3-5 large bay leaves

PEPPERS: (Note the chili powder you use will also affect heat, but the fresh peppers are the real key)
For Mild - 3 Jalapenos
For Med 5 Jalapenos
For Hot 3 Jalapenos  & 3 Habaneros
For a burn in your throat and sweat on your brow - 6 Habaneros

Some Corn meal for thickening

2 cans (24 oz) Whole Tomatoes
2 Cans (24oz) Beef Broth

Olive oil (or other cooking oil of your choosing)

Begin by browning the sirloin in a large skillet - basically I brown it slowly, until almost all the fat cooks away, this saves me doing a lot of draining, and also gets a nice texture on the sirloin. Drain off any excess grease, and set sirloin aside.

Then combine the ground beef and chorizzo sausage in the skillet and brown it similarly

At the same time you are browning the ground  meat, in a large Pot, sweat the onions and garlic on very low heat with a few Tbspn of Oil

When all the meat is browned, drain off any remaining grease and combine sirloin, ground beef, and chorizzo with the onions and garlic.
Add the tomatoes and broth, and then dump in all the dried spices, and bring it to a boil.

Immediately after bringing to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and add whole peppers (minus the stems) - You will want to slit the peppers lengthwise 2 or 3 times to allow them to really flavor the chili.

Simmer 3 hrs

After simmering, use a slotted spoon to remove Bay Leaves, Cinnamon Sticks, and whole peppers (alternately, if you really like it hot, just break up the peppers into the chili - know your pepper tolerance before entering into this one, it makes a very noticeable difference) Slowly add Corn meal to adjust thickness of chili to your tastes.

Finally, either right before serving or as a garnish, add chopped cilantro.

Most of the work on this one obviously comes down to prep, and making sure to occasionally stir the chili so as not to burn the bottom of the pot. Not an ideal recipie for a weeknight, but like I said it stores great, and tastes just as good out of the microwave as it did out of the pot.

"Paradise, is exactly like where you are right now - only much, MUCH better." -Laurie Anderson

lustreking

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 08:43:06 am
  • One Louder
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2006, 03:31:55 pm »
I've got some Soup Nazi recipes too if anyone wants those.  There's far too much involved with those to be considered "easy", but the Sweet Potato soup and the Mulligatawny are to die for!

The Soup Nazi's Sweet Potato Soup is fantastic.  I think it's easy to make, though a little time consuming since you have to bake the potatoes.  It doesn't have tons of ingredients like some of the other Soup Nazi recipes.  It probably won't kill you either.

Note to self:  Buy stuff for sweet potato soup.

-S

Stingray

• Official Slacker - I promise to try a lot less
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2021, 03:43:54 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2006, 03:35:16 pm »
Wrap a steak, some cubed potatoes & onions & a whatever seasoning you like in foil. Throw it in the oven until it smells edible.

If you're a real pig you can eat it out of the foil, then throw it away. No dishes. This is what I have just about any given night that the wife won't be home for dinner. :D

-S
Stingray you magnificent bastard!
This place is dead lately.  Stingray scare everyone off?

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2006, 03:38:14 pm »
Grilled or Broiled Fish and Chicken:

Meat:
A. For Chicken tenderloins cook faster.  Or one of the big Frozen bags of Tenderloins or Breasts so you have them on hand, take what you want out the night before so they are thawed.  You can get them at costco or wherever.
or
B. Fish:  Cod, Haddock, Swordfish, or any white fish from the ocean.  You can get bags at Costco of these as well.

1. Put thawed meat in a bowl.
2. Enough Olive oil to coat.
3. Salt, Pepper, and Rosemary on both sides. Minced Garlic(Optional)
4. Grill or Broil till done (about 5 minutes each side)

Couscous is a good side dish and takes 5 minutes to cook.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2006, 07:18:59 pm »
Wrap a steak, some cubed potatoes & onions & a whatever seasoning you like in foil. Throw it in the oven until it smells edible.

If you're a real pig you can eat it out of the foil, then throw it away. No dishes. This is what I have just about any given night that the wife won't be home for dinner. :D

-S

I bet if you wrapped that in a pound of bacon it could be considered a BYOAC delicacy ;)

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2006, 09:08:52 pm »
OK, breaking a bit of a trend here, but I like my sweets too, and maybe some of you too. This is a good birthday cake recipe too. Looks complicated, but is quite easy...

Here mt Great Great "Aunt Rita Chocolate Cake" receipe. Aunt Rita was from Boston and this cake is about three generations old... This cake is very moist and defines chocolately goodliness. I add a few more tablespoons of cocoa and an extra chololate squre cause I like chocolate...

Melt:
2 Squares of Choloate
1/2 cup of shortening

Add:
2 cups of sugar
1 cup boiling water

Boil all together for 5 minutes. Cool in the freezer until cool

When cool add to it the following:
2 eggs
1/2 cup of sour cream or sour milk
1 1/2 tsp baking soda diluted in a bit of milk (i.e., 1-2 tbsp)
1 tsp vanilla extract (pure if you can)
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder

Mix in mixer (or like me by hand) on low speed.

Bake in a 13 x 9 pan at 350 for 45 minutes

To make Icing:

You can always buy the crap in a can at the grocery store or make it your self. Easy!

Cream:
3 Tbsp butter
Blend in 3-5 Tbsp cocoa (Fry's)
2 Tbsp of hot water
1/2 tsp vanilla

Add:

1 1/2 cup sufted icing sugar
Beat until creamy

Yield: Enough icing  for a small cake. Double for recipe above...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 09:11:37 pm by Jabba »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2006, 09:58:42 pm »
You are SO screwed up with your long-ass cake recipe.  Try this instead.

Dump Cake.

Get a 9 x 13 inch pan.  Grease and flour the sides and bottom.  Instead of using flour though, use a bit of the cake mix.  Dump the ingredients into the pan.  DO NOT MIX!  Dump in this order:

1 can cherry pie filling
1 can crushed pineapple
1 box yellow cake mix, dry
2 sticks melted butter

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve in pan.

For us guys here, I hereby rename this SlackerCake Extrordinaire ;D

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2006, 09:59:25 pm »
Ok, I am the cook of the house too. Unfortunatly I get into trouble because I take way too long. But hey if the end result is really friggin good then it is worth it. My first offering...."Chinese Chicken Salad"
This is pretty quick and realllllly good.
Although I don't know if an actual Chinaman really created this. But who knows?

Dressing:
1/2 C Salad Oil
1 Tbsp Soy Sauce
1/2 C Sugar (actually a litle under 1/2 cup)
1/4 C Wine Vinagar (I have used White vinager and it works fine)
1/4 Tsp. Pepper (prefferable fresh cracked)
1/2 Tsp. Salt
2 Tsp. Sesame Oil (yum)
Mix together. I usually make some and put it in the fridge as it stores just like salad dressing.
Nothing in there to go bad.
I usually do not use the whole batch for the salad. This would lead to soup not salad.

Now the salad:
There are a lot of steps you can skip. However every step you skip reduces flavor. My suggestion
is take the time to make it right. Right? Right!

Ingredients
1.5 cups of cubed chicken (um... cooked). I like to use the fried chicken strips from the Kroger
deli
2 Pkgs Ramen noodles(oriental flavoring)
1 Tbsp. Sesame seeds
1/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
6 chopped green onions
Shredded Lettuce or Nappa Cabage

In a skillet, on med heat, melt 1 Tbsp. and lightly toast almonds. Add a dash of salt while
toasting. Remove from the skillet.
Crunch up the Ramen noodles and keep the seasoning to the side (but keep it. You will use this
soon) In that same skillet put a chunk (about 1/3 cup) of butter when the butter is melted add the
 crunched ramen noodles and cook till lightly toasted. Add the almonds, seeds, and the oriental
seasoning and stil together. Remove from  the skillet. Pour the almond noodle stuff over the top
of the lettuce. Add the chicken and green onions. Toss and add dressing to taste. Eat lots and
lots.

More to come.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 10:02:01 pm »
Chiggin Friggin Faheetaz
Rite den,
You tage the chickee and yu chobit up into a bunch of liddle peeses.
Den take the joos of won hole lime, and douce da berd.
Den take a good shaken of cumin, to da berd.
Den take a big honken salt, to da berd.
Den peppa dehell out of da berd.
Den pour sum utaleeyun dressin onit.
miksit up realll nise.
Ledit sit.

(meen wile)
Strta chippin sum ongyons. slyses man, lots and lots of slyses. 6 small or 3 larj ongyons shud be
enuf.

On LOW heat cuk the ongyons up into a byutifil sloppy mess -a- golden brown. As they r cukin, put
sum uh dat der utaleeun dressin and pour it on du ongyuns. Mind dat ya don put tu much oritll take
over the ongyun flavor and du not overcuk du ongyuns. Remoov du ongyuns to a bowl. letem sit.

Now, seein that thu ungyuns are dun, it is time tu cuk da berd.
tern da heat to oooh frigin hot. Put the cast irn skillit on the ooh friggin hot stove. get the
skillit ooh friggin hot. Do the water (spit) test. If a drop of water (spit) dances on du skillit,
itz ooh frigin hot.

Pour da chiggin intu du skillit. It will smoke, sputter, and splat, (be ready to kleen). Spread
the chiggin eavenly so as much as possible can cuk before and stirin. Let it sit for a cupl of
minits then stir fairly often. When it is perty clear dat the chiggin is just about cukked, add du
ongyuns. Stir together senslessly. When the chiggin iz cukked, remoov it frum da stove.

top wid salsa, refried beeeens (freeholeez), and a hol lot of uthu crap. rap it in uh flower
torteeyah.

mortakum soon
M    Y    X

Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 10:35:34 pm »
I simply refuse to read that last post... that is totally rediculous.
first off your and idiot

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 10:48:00 pm »
Chicken/Veal marsala

1 Pound Chicken/Veal Cutlets
1 cup flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 sticks of salted butter
1/2 Pound Mushrooms, sliced
4 cups Marsala Wine
1 Tbsp Lemon Juice

combine 3/4 cups flour w/ salt and pepper in a plate. dredge the cutlets in the flour mixture. In a large pan, 1 stick of  the butter on med heat Throw the chicken in. Cook ~5 min per side. Remove from pan and set aside. In same pan, melt the rest of the butter. Throw in the mushrooms. Sautee until soft and beginning to brown. Add the wine. Continue to cook until wine is steaming. Add between 2 and 4 Tbsps of the remaining flour to thicken the sauce if you like. Return the chicken to the pan.cook for another 10 to 15 minutes, until the majority of the alcohol has cooked off.Add the lemon juice. Serve over pasta.

Cooking is fun

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 11:12:53 pm »

It's Cajun.  I'd almos gah-ran-dang-tee-it!

pointdablame

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2006, 11:25:15 pm »

Well whatever it was.. it made my eyes bleed.
first off your and idiot

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
    • MYX Digital Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 11:24:07 am »

Well whatever it was.. it made my eyes bleed.
LOL. Sorry about the eyes. It is a really good recipe though. Crap it took so dang long to write that. I will try to translate it later. may be. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 12:37:29 pm by MYX »
M    Y    X

psik0tik

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2008, 11:32:31 pm
  • Bah Bah Bah
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 12:22:44 pm »
Chiliii frito pie....forget all the ingredients...just dump fritos in a bowl...dump a can or 2 of chili on top. Sprinkle a little shredded chedder on top and nuke it for 3 mins. All kids love it and it takes a whole 6 or 7 mins to make.
Going to Mcdonalds for a salad is like going to a crack house for vitamins.

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2006, 02:51:59 pm »
Honey gitmabeer

Ingredients:

1 remote control (left or right hand)
1 sofa (planted underneath ass)
40+ channels to watch with nothing on

stir channels on t.v. with remote slowly. Yell at wife "where's my beer at woman" continue stirring channels mutering "damn t.v. ain't nuttin worth watchin" continue process till can is empty.... repate as many times as necessary