Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Favorite recipies?  (Read 158961 times)

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: Favorite recipies?
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2006, 03:05:14 pm »
for those with bloody eyes

Chicken gosh darn Fajitas
ok,
cut the chicken into small pieces. (preferably about a pound and a half of breast meat.)
you need to marinate the chicken so, here is the marinade...
The juice from 1 lime
1/2 cup of Italian dressing.
1/2 tbsp of cumin
1/2 tbsp of salt and 1/2 tbsp of pepper
Mix it up and pour it over the chicken pieces. If you put the chicken and marinade in a really big ziplock bag, you can coat all the chicken and squish it to get the marinade all over it.
Let it sit for a minimum of 1/2 hour (refrigerated)

while that sits,
Take about 6 small or 3 large onions and make 1 cm slices.
On Low heat melt some butter and start cooking the onions. This has to be done on low for a long period of time to get the sugars to really come out of the onions. Eventually they will start to turn a really nice golden brown. At this point raise the heat just a little and add some Italian dressing. Mind that you do not use too much Italian as it can over power the onions. Let it cook for a couple of minutes then remove them to a bowl.

Ok time to cook the chicken. This part of the cooking will go really fast, so be ready to eat.
This is a place where it is great to use a cast iron skillet if you have one.
Get some oil in the skillet and heat the skillet until it is really hot. when the oil just starts to smoke pour the chicken in. It WILL splatter and smoke and make a heck of a lot of noise. THIS IS A GOOD THING. The heat is going to sear the chicken therefore keeping it juicy. Keep the chicken moving in the skillet as You do not want to burn it just sear it. when you can see that a majority of the chicken has turned from pink to white, add the onions. the remainder of the chicken will finish cooking really soon. This is why the small pieces and the hi heat. Stir the onions and chicken together for a couple of minutes then remove it to a bowl. Do not leave it in the skillet as it will start to dry out.

I like to cook up some re-fried beans with them top with salsa, lettuce, cheese, sour cream. Wrap it in a tortilla

More tasty things to come soon.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 02, 2024, 01:02:45 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2006, 05:22:00 pm »
Sniff ... I am just so darned proud that so many arcade geeks would embrace that which I love so much.

I'll dig up and post some of my more enjoyable recipes (none of which I make regularly anymore as bikini season approaches).

I also have a huge endorsement for DK's slow cooker suggestion -- it is the must-have item.

Cheers.

Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

c64rulez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2011, 05:08:36 pm
  • It's live and kicking
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2006, 05:44:45 pm »
White russian

1/3 vodka
1/3 Kahlua
1/3 milk

ice.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51:38 pm »
Jabba just reminded me of something.  I was watching Iron Chef a night or two ago and they were dealing with chocolate in various forms.  They said a pinch of salt brings out the sweetness and flavor of chocolate even more.  I'm gonna try it with Jabba's recipe.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

boykster

• This thread makes my brain hurt worse than Vogon poetry....
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 12:13:15 am
  • The cake is a lie!
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 12:45:27 am »
One of my fav 1 pan dishes...

Jack Daniels pork chops...

1 onion, diced
1 package of sliced mushrooms
2-3 1/2" pork chops (dont' get the really thin ones)
1/2 container sour cream (I use lite, but any will work)
1 tbs flour
1 tsp dried rubbed sage
1 c Jack Daniels
some oil (olive works good)
salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

In a cast iron skillet, brown the chops on medium heat (don't cook em all the way, just braise em)..Use a tbs of oil if need be.  When the chops look good, take em out and set em aside.  Turn stove down to low....Cook the onions and mushrooms for about 2 mins (until onions are clear and soft) in the oil from the chops.  Add the Jack Daniels and turn heat up to med-high / high (careful as pouring alcohol can be dangerous...esp if you use a gas stove).  Reduce the liquid until it is almost gone...about 5-8 mins or so.  Combine flour, sage, sour cream, and a tsp or so each of salt and pepper in a small bowl.  Turn heat to low, and add sour cream mixture and cook for about 3 mins.  Add the chops back to the pan, and spoon the mushroom mixture over the top.

Cover pan and cook in the oven for about 45 mins...you'll know its done when the sauce turns a light brown and, well it will look yummy.

Take it out and let it sit for about 5 mins

Enjoy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 12:47:42 am by boykster »

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 05:59:23 pm »
Just had this today for lunch after seeing the recipe and deciding to give it a shot.  AWE-SOME!  I'm not sure if adding an egg would make the "coating" stick better, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt.

Onion Chicken

half cup of butter
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Ground Mustard
1 can (2.8 oz) french-fried onions, crushed.
4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves.

First, melt the butter.  In a small bowl, combine butter, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.  Place onions in another shallow bowl.  Dip Chicken in butter mixture, then coat with onions.  Place in a greased 11x7x2 baking dish.  Drizzle with remaining butter mixture.  Bake uncovered @ 400o for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear.

I also used to work at Chick-fil-A, and this is the recipe I've used that's the closest to the real deal.  If you've never had a Chick-fil-A chicken sandwich, you haven't lived!  You'll never get your chicken as juicy unless you've got a pressure cooker.  That's how they're cooked and how they retain so much juice and aren't all dried out and blah like a McD's or BK sammitch.

2 eggs
Milk
Bisquick
Chicken breasts
Hamburger buns.
Peanut oil

Heat the peanut oil to 325. 

Break the eggs into a small bowl.  Whisk in milk until the color of the mixture is close to the color of margarine (a light yellow). 

Pour some bisquick into a flat bottomed dish such as a cake pan.

Fillet the chicken breasts.  If it's the whole breast, split it in half, and take one half, run your thumb up the backside of the breast (the non-smooth side) until you separate the tendon at the top.  Take one side of the chicken breast in each hand and gently "roll" it open.  When done properly, the chicken breast half should look somewhat like a heart.  The more you open it up, the flatter it will lay on the bun.

Take the fillet, and dip it in the milk/egg mixture.  Make sure it's completely coated.  Remove it from the mixture and lay it as flat as possible into the Bisquick.  Cover the entire fillet in Bisquick, and press down - HARD.  Flip the fillet over, cover the entire fillet again in Bisquick and yet again, press down HARD!  Remove the fillet from the bisquick and set aside.  Do as many pieces of chicken as you can cook, but do not make up extra in advance.  It'll stick and cake and won't come out the same.  Small batches.

Gently drop each fillet into the oil, and stir to make sure they don't stick together at first.  Cook until golden brown (about 3 and a half minutes).

Toast a bun, butter it, and if desired, throw two pickle slices on the bun.  Add the cooked fillet.   

HOO DADDY!

ScoopKW

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2006, 08:32:53 pm
  • Stage one complete, pix coming
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2006, 07:20:51 pm »
I only like EASY recipes. Here's one of my favorites

Lobster Thermadore avec caviar

1 whole lobster, about 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
2 lemons, halved
1 onion, quartered
1 bouquet garni
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons minced shallots
1/4 cup white wine or champagne (French, vintage, of course)
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh tarragon
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
6 ounces bacon
1 cup julienned onions
1/2 pound haricot vert, blanched
Salt and pepper
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 teaspoons finely chopped parsley
1 tin fresh beluga (NOT osetra) caviar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a pot of salted water containing the lemons, quartered onion and bouquet garni to a boil. Add the lobster to the boiling water and cook for 8 to 12 minutes. Remove the lobster from the water and place in a bowl of ice water. This will stop the cooking process of the lobster. In a sauce pan, melt the butter. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes for a blond roux. Add the shallots and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the wine and milk. Bring the liquid up to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon. This sauce will be thicker than a normal Bechamel because it will be used as a filling. Season the sauce with salt and pepper. Remove the sauce from the stove and stir in the mustard and tarragon. Remove the lobster from the water and split the lobster in half. Remove the tail meat from the shells and with the back of a knife, gently crack the claws. Dice the tail meat and fold in the Bechamel sauce. Stir in 1/2 cup of the cheese and reseason if necessary.

Divide the mixture and spoon into the two lobster tail shells. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the lobster. Place the filled lobster on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the top is golden brown. In a hot saute pan, add the bacon and render until crispy, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes. Add the beans and continue to saute for 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the garlic. Remove the beans from the heat. To assemble, divide the bean mixture between two plates. Lay the lobster halves on top of the beans. Garnish with parsley, top with a dollop of caviar, preferably in a bone china spoon (chilled).

PS -- Tune in next week for Crown Rack of Lamb avec home-made sausage stuffing with truffles, foie gras and gold leaf wrapped-spam topping.

:-)

« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 07:25:14 pm by ScoopKW »

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2006, 09:31:05 pm »
Okay....it's hard for me to give this out, because it's so easy, and so powerful, but I love y'all so... 

I know that stuffed mushrooms don't sound like something that the kids will want, but trust me they'll only have to be forced to eat the first one.  EVERYBODY (besides vegans/vegetarians) loves these.  My wife actually got invited to a faculty party at one of the graphic design director's house once when she was a student, on the condition that she bring me and my mushrooms cos he had tasted them once before.

Ingredients

-  20-30 Mushrooms (a couple of those 8 oz. packs if you buy them prewrapped)
-  1 package of cream cheese (regular size...I think they're 10 oz, but maybe 8 oz)
-  1 package of *Hot* Jimmy Dean sausage (it isn't actually spicy...black pepper is too spicy for my wife and this poses no problem for her).
-   Some butter

Directions

1- Wash the mushrooms (don't go nuts, mushrooms should only spend a few seconds under cold water....they're very porous)
2- Twist all the stems out of the mushrooms
3- Chop up the stems into small pieces
4- On medium heat fry up the sausage, breaking it all up like if you were frying ground beef for tacos.
5- Put all those small stem pieces that you chopped up into the pan with the sausage (still on the burner) and mix it up.
6- Put the cream cheese in the pan (stil on burner).  Start breaking it up.  At first it will be difficult to work with, but pretty soon it will have the consistency of nacho cheese and mix right in.
7- Take the sausage mixture off the heat and start the oven preheating at 350 degrees.
8-  Scoop a big dollop of the mixture into each mushroom and place the mushrooms in a casserol dish or on a cookie sheet (that has no open sides).  You want the mixture in heap, overflowing out the top.
9- Slice up some pats of butter and arrange them here and there between mushrooms.  You just need it to melt down and create a pool of butter that the mushrooms will sit in while they bake.  You'll probably need about a half-cube for a regular 12x9 casserol dish.  You just want to make sure there's enough that All the mushrooms sit in butter (so you'll need more if your oven isn't very level cos it'll tend to pool up at one side of the pan.   It doesn't have to be deep at all.
10- Bake for 25 minutes.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:00:04 pm by shmokes »
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

PCtech

• BYAOC is kinda like methadone
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 09:58:57 am
  • If the magic smoke gets out, it won't work again!
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2006, 09:48:15 am »
Honey gitmabeer

Ingredients:

1 remote control (left or right hand)
1 sofa (planted underneath ass)
40+ channels to watch with nothing on

stir channels on t.v. with remote slowly. Yell at wife "where's my beer at woman" continue stirring channels mutering "damn t.v. ain't nuttin worth watchin" continue process till can is empty.... repate as many times as necessary

If I follow the above recipe, I think I'll be needin the other ones on here, cause I'd be cookin for myself a lot!
Example of what NOT to say at BYOAC
"a working adult playing a video game - pathetic" - freddykruger666

USSEnterprise

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2007, 11:15:08 pm
    • USS Odyssey
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2006, 06:14:52 pm »
geriatric special

One cooked cheeseburger
2 slices white bread
1 can dog food
1 orange
1 shredded zucchini
3 cans Ensure

Combine all ingretients in a blender. Liquify for 3 minutes. Pour over ice. Feed to people 70 and over
Proper capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse, and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2006, 05:24:42 pm »
I'm way late on this one, but thought I'd toss out a favorite

Microwave Cheesy Chicken

Ingredients:

Chicken tenders
Sour cream - 3 tablespoons is enough for a meal for two
Crushed cheese crackerss (we use Cheez-Its)

Cut the tenders in to nuggets.  Put sour cream in a ziplock back; place nuggets in bag and shake.  Put crushed crackers in a seperate bag.  Drop the sour cream coated chicken in the cracker bag and shake until chicken is coated.

Put coated chicken in a glass or microwave safe dish. Cover with wax paper, leaving a vent.  Cook about 5 minutes on high or until chicken is done (NOTE: cook times will vary). 

Variations: Use hot & spicy cheese-it crackers - or any variety you choose.  Sonya says it's also good with leftover biscuit crumbs!

Mario

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 29, 2021, 08:55:12 pm
  • Mmmmm.....arcades!
    • Mario's Arcade Page
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2006, 10:14:13 pm »
Here's are two of my favorite drinks:

Lemonade
  • Lemons
  • Sugar
  • Water
Mix ingredients. Adjust to taste.   ;D

Orange Julius
Here's a quick-n-easy recipe from the first "Top Secret Recipes"
book. Notice the egg substitute (which is made from egg whites)
in the recipe.  That's how you get a frothy, foamy drink.

1 cup orange juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup egg substitute
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
1 heaping cup ice 

Combine all of the ingredients in a blender set on high speed for
15-30 seconds.  Makes 2 drinks.

Mario

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #52 on: March 06, 2006, 12:53:01 am »
Here's are two of my favorite drinks:

Lemonade
  • Lemons
  • Sugar
  • Water
Mix ingredients. Adjust to taste.   ;D

A little bit of salt will make that lemonade even tastier.  No lie.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

PCtech

• BYAOC is kinda like methadone
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 09:58:57 am
  • If the magic smoke gets out, it won't work again!
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2006, 04:28:33 pm »
geriatric special

One cooked cheeseburger
2 slices white bread
1 can dog food
1 orange
1 shredded zucchini
3 cans Ensure

Combine all ingretients in a blender. Liquify for 3 minutes. Pour over ice. Feed to people 70 and over....

Grandpa says this tastes like ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---....was I supposed to peel the orange first?
Example of what NOT to say at BYOAC
"a working adult playing a video game - pathetic" - freddykruger666

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2006, 07:52:12 pm »
ANNOUNCEMENT!

I....

bought a crockpot!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it...
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 08:33:37 pm »
You'll never get your chicken as juicy unless you've got a pressure cooker.  That's how they're cooked and how they retain so much juice and aren't all dried out and blah like a McD's or BK sammitch.

Drew, Chic-A-Flic looks like a good recipe, but where does the pressure cooker come into play?

And USS, any dog food brand in particular?
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2006, 08:49:40 pm »
One large roasting pan (I use corning ware with foil over top)

Two large breasts of chicken, bone in, skin on.  Several baby carrots, several golf ball sized red potatoes.  Salt, Pepper, garlic powder.  Cover, in oven at 400 dF for 40, uncover for 10-15 mins.

Can't beat roasted chicken.  Better than barbequing it (beer can chicken excepted).

It's simple to do, and plain to satify finiky kids.  It's pretty good for you.  It's moist and tender.

Throw some Ranch dressing on the potatoes.... oh yes.  I'm not crazy.  If you've never rad ranch on a baked or roasted potato, YOU'RE crazy.

I'm not sure how increasing the recipie will affect the outcome or cooking time.  I cook for two.  We're DINKS - Dual Income No Kids.

OR

Combine:

3 sheets of MDF, 1 sheet of acrylic, 1 old PC, 14 buttons, 2 joysticks, 1 computer monitor, 1 coin door, three hinges, 1 fluorescent Light, some printed artwork, 15 drops of blood, 80 drops of sweat

In your garage.  Garnish with empty beer bottles.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2006, 08:51:46 pm »
ANNOUNCEMENT!

I....

bought a crockpot!

Now I just have to figure out what to do with it...

Uhhh.... Chili. 

Gods gift to the bachelor, the superbowl party..... and probably the family of 5.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

Daniel270

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2011, 12:34:14 pm
  • Older Than PONG!!!
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2006, 10:59:52 pm »
  You'll never get your chicken as juicy unless you've got a pressure cooker. 

My grandfather managed a KFC (back when the Colonel was still livin' and the chicken WAS done right... ) and that's how they cooked the chicken there.  They used pressure cookers to fry the chicken, used the cracklins in the gravy and used REAL potatoes.  Also, made the slaw by hand...

God, how times have changed....
I Haven't Lost My Mind, It's Backed Up On Disk Somewhere.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2006, 07:11:31 am »

Drew, Chic-A-Flic looks like a good recipe, but where does the pressure cooker come into play?

You insult me with your "chickaflick" ;)  Chick-fil-A (and KFC, as daniel pointed out) figured out long ago that without pressure cooking, you'll need to cook the chicken longer which will dry it out, while cooking it under pressure helps to cook it quicker and as a side benefit, seals in juices.  The amount of time between regular cooking and pressure cooking aren't that great, but the difference they make in the final product is night and day.  If you have a pressure cooker and follow some of the recipes (they still DO make pressure cookers for home use, they're just hard to find), you'll find they make food you formerly thought was "pretty good" seem bland and blah by comparison after trying a pressure-cooked version.  Follow all safety instructions though.  Them things can hurt ya in more ways than one.

Saint, if there's a Sam's Club near you, they have (or at the very least USED to have) a slow cooker cook book.  I'll dig mine out and see what they're called and throw you a few recipes from it too.  I've found using the "low" setting always seems to guarantee the best results too.  Stuff seems more consistently cooked at that setting

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 03:22:58 pm »
Saint, it's called "Fix It And Forget It Cookbook: Feasting with your Slow Cooker" by Dawn J Ranck & Phyllis Pellmann Good

There's probably 750 recipes in there (3 per page, and about 250 pages of 'em)

We've made TONS of recipes from this book, and none are too involved or have too many ingredients (at least the stuff we've made), mebbe 10 ingredients at the most (not including water or salt & pepper to taste ::)

Here's some easy standby's we often turn to from that book:

Shipwreck

1 lb browned ground beef
4-5 potatoes, cut into French Fry sized strips
1-2 onions, chopped
16 oz can light red kidney beans, drained
1/4 lb Velveeta, cubed
10 oz can tomato soup
salt
pepper
butter

Layer in slow cooker in this order:
Ground beef
potatoes
onions
kidney beans
and cheese.
Pour soup over the top, season with salt and pepper and dot with butter

Cover - cook on low 6-8 hours

Tater Tot Casserole

32 oz bag of frozen tater tots
1 lb browned ground beef
29 oz of green beans (they say use 2 cans, I prefer a bag of frozen)
10 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
1 TBSP dried onions
1/4 cup of milk

Line the slow cooker with the tater tots, combine everything else and pour over the tater tots.  They say to cover and cook on high for 3 hours, but we often just throw it on low and cook it for 5-6 hours.

Ham N Coke

1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp horseradish
1 can of Coke
3-4 lb pre-cooked ham

Combine first 3 ingredients, and add just enough Coke to make a paste.

Rub the entire ham with the mixture and put in the slow cooker.  Add the rest of the can of Coke.

Cover and cook on low at least 6 hours - you need a thermometer to check this one for doneness.  Interior temp should AT LEAST be 140, we cook it to 150-160, which usually equates out to about 8 hours or more.  What you can do as well is to cook it on low while you're at work, and when you get home, turn it up to high until it hits temp.

To make it a meal type thing, we throw in some pearl onions at the beginning, and when we get home, we'll throw in a bag of frozen corn and frozen peas when we first check the temp and just cook 'em on high then.

Pizza Rice

2 cups of rice, uncooked
3 cups of whatever pizza sauce (or chunky-type spaghetti sauce)
2 1/2 cups of water
7 oz can of mushrooms (I think that's the small can)
4 oz of sliced pepperoni or sausage (brown the sausage if necessary)

Add all ingredients, stir until mixed

Cover, cook on Low10 hours or on High for 6 hours.

Sprinkle with grated cheese when serving

And lastly, the bomb-diggety of soups

Chicken Tortilla Soup

4 chicken breast halves, cubed.
30 oz undrained black beans
30 oz mexican stewed tomatoes (or Rotel tomatoes)
1 cup Salsa
4 oz green chilies
14 oz tomato sauce
tortilla chips

Cook the chicken in a skillet until just done.  If a piece is pink inside, that's perfect.  Combine all ingredients except the chips.  Cover and cook on Low 8 hours. 

This can be served two ways.  The way I prefer is to throw the chips in about an hour or so before you're done cooking the soup, or you can put the chips in your bowl and cover with soup.

Either way, top with some grated cheese like Monterey Jack.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2006, 06:21:53 pm »
Sweet!  Off to the grocery store tonight to inaugurate my crock pot!
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2006, 06:33:50 pm »
I'm going to try shmokes mushrooms tomorrow.  Hope I don't turn into a liberal.   ;D

Jacktucky
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2006, 08:28:28 pm »
Some real good soup for the cold nights

CHEESE AND POTATO SOUP 

2 tablespoons vegetables oil
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
3 tablespoons all purpose flour
2 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
2 cups milk
1 10- to 12-ounce russet potato, peeled, diced
1 cup packed shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/2 cup chopped ham
Hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
Chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add celery, carrot, onion and thyme and saut
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

miles2912

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 31, 2019, 05:30:24 pm
  • My first Home Game. Fairchild System F.
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2006, 08:29:58 pm »
This Jambalya goes quick..

1 lb. boneless chicken, cubed; AND/OR
1 lb. shrimp, boiled in Zatarain's and peeled; OR
1 lb. leftover holiday turkey, cubed; OR
1 lb. of any kind of poultry or fish, cubed; OR
Any combination of the above

1 lb. (hot) smoked sausage, andouille or chaurice, sliced on the bias; OR
1 lb. diced smoked ham
1 large onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
3 - 6 cloves garlic, minced (amount to taste; I like lots)
4 ribs celery, chopped
3 small cans tomato paste
4 large Creole tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced; OR
1 28-oz. can tomatoes
6 cups good dark homemade chicken stock
Creole seasoning blend to taste (or 2 - 3 tablespoons); OR
2 teaspoons cayenne, 2 teaspoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon white pepper, 1 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 teapsoon thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
2 3/4 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked (Some people like converted rice, others prefer good old Mahatma.) - rice modified by donnie

In a saut
  Scratch built upright MAME Cab

Trenchbroom

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 21, 2020, 09:25:43 pm
  • Wampus? Get over here!
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2006, 09:32:59 pm »
One of my favorite recipes I no longer have but the story is interesting (and videogame related):

In 1994 I worked in a video store.  Used to hook up the Sega CD to the in store TV and play a few games while things were slow.  It was an original front loader model and in the box it had the CD+G sampler disc (unopened).

So one day I'm bored, I crack open the case and put the sampler disc in.  Listening to music while digital effects are on the screen--pretty big deal in those days!  Anyway, one of the songs on the CD was from Information Society (can't remember the song), and they put scrolling messages on the screen--a bit like a c64 demo.  Towards the end of the song they decided to post a VERY excellent chili recipe.  Bacon grease was the secret of it's deliciousness. 

If anyone has their old front loader Sega CD and wants to get a good chili recipe, I'd be obliged if you could post it here!   ;)

rugby1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2007, 12:10:12 am
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2006, 10:40:34 pm »
Also, one of the chicks from the cooking channel Rachel Rae has a book out I got my wifey called Cooking for Kids in under 30 minutes.

Rachel Rae sucks and her recipes are awful!!!!

Many people hate her... read some of the comments  ;D

http://community.livejournal.com/rachael_ray_sux/

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2006, 08:00:09 pm »
Crockpot:

I may have missed this is someone's post (probably Drew's), but roasts are wonderful in the crockpot - Sonya will occasionally do one - and it's sort of a fix it and forget it cooking system if you cook on low.  She'll put the roast in before leaving for work, set on low, and it will just be done by the time we all get home.

I'll second the chili - and for as nutty as this sounds, add wagon wheel pasta (or any pasta) and cheese for a truly unique taste!

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2006, 08:25:33 pm »
Also, one of the chicks from the cooking channel Rachel Rae has a book out I got my wifey called Cooking for Kids in under 30 minutes.

Rachel Rae sucks and her recipes are awful!!!!

Many people hate her... read some of the comments  ;D

http://community.livejournal.com/rachael_ray_sux/

Wow, a Rachel Rae hate club. The Joker pic made me laugh!  ;)
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

rugby1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2007, 12:10:12 am
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2006, 12:00:22 am »

Wow, a Rachel Rae hate club. The Joker pic made me laugh!  ;)
[/quote]

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2006, 05:34:16 pm »
you will learn to love a crock pot.
Have many myself 2 at the lake and 4 here at home.
I have given many of those out for Xmas.
NEW Toy I found out this year. I gave out Roasters
Wal Mart had them fore $20.00 (day after thanks giving sale) I see them  now $50.00

toss in a bird. walk away.
15 min per pound done!
taste is great. Moist.

a cheep chicken whole fryer ... what may $3.00 to $5.00
a box of stove top.
a few cans of green beans

every one is happy.  few dishes to clean

Just did a 12 lb turkey at the lake
( wife reminded me 15 min per pound if frozen)
turkey was not.. cooked 2.5 hrs.
left over turkey was turned into turkey veg. soup in the crock pot .

Me, I like to use the crock pot as we sleep.
Wake up. put in fridge. ( hope you got the removeable dish type)
come home and heat up and ready.

Ohhhh! no one told me about this little info on my first crock pot.
Never put the ceramic dish in the dish water. the bottum is not sealed.
It will soak in water and break. :-X

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2006, 06:59:43 pm »

Ohhhh! no one told me about this little info on my first crock pot.
Never put the ceramic dish in the dish water. the bottum is not sealed.
It will soak in water and break. :-X

If it's touching the heating element, I can see that happening, but I've had both of our latest models for 3 and 6 years, and we constantly throw them in the dishwasher or let them soak in the sink, so they've been flooded with water, and no problems.  I called my mother-in-law, who, with 5 kids, used hers at least 3 times a week.  Same thing - no worries.  YMMV

Saint, Sam's Club had 4 different slow-cooker recipe books.  The one I named above, a "light recipes" version, a diabetic version, and a desserts version.  I'm almost certain they're all by the same author(s)

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2006, 07:43:05 pm »
Our first whack at cooking with the crock pot was yummy! Basic pot roast, carrots, potatos, garlic, and pearl onions... 6 quart crockpot -- no leftovers at all. MmmMMmmm good!
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2006, 07:45:10 pm »
so you'll soon be un-broke and start gold-plating the forum with your new found riches?

And damn, I gotta learn to cook more stuff myself these days.  :P
Now in a tasty new flavour.

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2006, 10:06:33 pm »
so you'll soon be un-broke and start gold-plating the forum with your new found riches?

And damn, I gotta learn to cook more stuff myself these days.  :P

Dude, this is how easy a crock-pot is.

YOU could make something good in one!  :o  ;)

Seriously, even stuff we thought we'd royally effed up still turns out quite edible. 

But don't you just have to go upstairs and tell yer mom you're hungry? ;D

Harry Potter

• Smite-bait
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 09, 2018, 04:45:32 am
  • Sober until banned. Can post but still can't read.
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2006, 04:17:00 am »

But don't you just have to go upstairs and tell yer mom you're hungry? ;D
I refused to let her cook for me about 5 years ago.

Works out well unless I come home from a bender.  :-\
Now in a tasty new flavour.

MajorHavoc

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2015, 09:08:40 am
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2006, 06:46:29 pm »
Fast and dirty Black Bean Soup.

3 tsp ham soup base
3 cups water
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 14 oz can sliced carrots (drained)
3 14 oz cans black beans
1 Cup +/- diced ham
Hot Sauce as needed (or desired)

In a 4 quart pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil, add soup base and onion.  Cover and reduce heat.  Allow to simmer until onions are cooked (about 10 minutes).   

In your handy dandy blender, combine  1 cup water,  2 cans of beans and half of the carrots.  (If necessary, you can use some of the broth in the blender too.  Just be careful.  It is hot.)  Blend thoroughly and add to broth and onion mixture.  Stir thoroughly.

Add remaining beans and carrots.  Add diced ham and hot sauce if desired.

Start to finish 15 - 20 minutes.

Black beans not your thing?  Not a problem!  Substitute canned navy beans for black beans.

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2006, 05:56:35 pm »
OK, time to expand my crock-potting. Got that lasagna recipe? :)

There's more, and if you've got a slow cooker, I'll hunt up that lasagna recipe. 
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

sez

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2012, 05:57:20 am
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2006, 08:11:45 pm »
My husband makes this for me all the time.  My favourite dish.

Chicken Mikaele

6 chicken pieces (or 3 double chicken breasts)
Oregano
2 cloves of garlic
1 can tomatoes
1 cup cream (or whole tub of cream if a lot of chicken)
3 medium zucchinis sliced
1 medium onion sliced
1 packet Continental Chicken Supreme Soup (or the US packet soup equivalent)

Dust chicken pieces with garlic and oregano in a baking dish.

Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.  Bake for 1.25 to 1.5 hours in a moderate oven (180 degrees celcius so convert for US farenheit).

Serve it with boiled rice.

The flavours are so incredibly tasty.  You'll be wanting more I promise.

Love Sez.
Eat your greens

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2006, 09:13:27 pm »
I may have to try that for my wife, sounds like her kind of thing. Stupid question - what's "cream" --- sour cream?

My husband makes this for me all the time.  My favourite dish.

Chicken Mikaele

6 chicken pieces (or 3 double chicken breasts)
Oregano
2 cloves of garlic
1 can tomatoes
1 cup cream (or whole tub of cream if a lot of chicken)
3 medium zucchinis sliced
1 medium onion sliced
1 packet Continental Chicken Supreme Soup (or the US packet soup equivalent)

Dust chicken pieces with garlic and oregano in a baking dish.

Mix all other ingredients in a bowl and pour over chicken.  Bake for 1.25 to 1.5 hours in a moderate oven (180 degrees celcius so convert for US farenheit).

Serve it with boiled rice.

The flavours are so incredibly tasty.  You'll be wanting more I promise.

Love Sez.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com