Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Suzo Inductive Joysticks  (Read 1669 times)

muzland

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2011, 06:28:02 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Suzo Inductive Joysticks
« on: February 19, 2006, 04:09:00 pm »
Just picked up a couple of these off ebay. Not tried them out yet in the cab (lack of 5V nearby).

Bought them as they are supposed to work like the perfect 360 which a lot of people recommend and they have the usual suzo short throw.

I have a problem with them though. When I am moving the sticks they are not moving smoothly and making a clicking sound. One of the advantages of this style of joystick is the lack of the microswitch clicks so it rather defeats the object. I could live with it though if the movement was smooth.

I took them apart but I could not get the sir-clip (Is this spelt right???) off. I will have to buy a tool to remove this one as it wont budge.

Anyone any ideas as to what might be causing the clicking? Does this happen on other joysticks?

Cheers
Muzland

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
Re: Suzo Inductive Joysticks
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2006, 04:44:14 am »
It's about Happ Perfect 360 but maybe will help.
Look here:
http://www.gramtech.dt.pl/hotteam/hardware/p360.php
It is in Polish language but scroll page to section 'Tuning' and there is picture.
On left side of picture is original P360 (with click), on right side is modified P360 (no clikck after this modification).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 04:51:29 am by destructor »

Tiger-Heli

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 03, 2018, 02:19:23 pm
  • Ron Howard? . . . er, I mean . . . Run, Coward!!!
    • Tiger-Heli
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2006, 08:20:44 am »
sir-clip (Is this spelt right???) off.
circlip or cir-clip, AFAIK.
It's not what you take when you leave this world behind you, it's what you leave behind you when you go. - R. Travis.
When all is said and done, generally much more is SAID than DONE.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 09:08:10 am »
I don't really understand what you mean ? Do you mean when you move it from the center to, for example the top and back ? Is shouldn't click, except if you mean where it hits the "end" of the movable area.

On the other hand, if you're making a circular movement, you will hear (and more feel) "clicks". These are little bumps that helpyou hit the right direction, but I wouldn't call that a clicking sound.

muzland

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 05:47:43 pm »
Cheers for the spelling Tiger-Heli.

The clicking noise sounds and feels like the spring is slipping inside the joystick housing is the best way I can describe it. If I twist the joystick handle around the clikcing and motion is better in some positions than others if this makes sense. Could it be the plastic housing is worn and the spring is catching???? It is definitely not the noise it makes when it hits the end of the moveable area.

I will know more when I get my cir-clip remover. I will be able to compare it against the other suzo joystick I have and I may even swap housings and see what happens.

Cheers
Muzland

muzland

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2006, 05:15:09 pm »
Hi All,

I finally got my act together with these.

I have wired them up and tested them out. They work fine. I solved the lack of 5V power by cutting a USB cable in half (A to A). This provides an elegant plug and play solution to the power issue. A to A cable also means  I got to do both sticks from one cable. This was probably the bargain of the century at 29p for the cable ;D

Not played around with the pot adjustement yet but one appeared to be in 6 way mode!

I wonder if there is a simple hack to make these 2 way as well.

Anyway I also got the tools to remove the cir-clip and have a play around to try to minimise the "clicking" noises.

It looks like the noise is caused by the following bit of the joystick....

This bit slides onto the joystick shaft and rests on top of the housing. You can see it in place on the 2nd picture. It is a little loose and has a flat surface contacting another flat surface. It is this contact that seems to make the clicking as it 'slips' into the joystick hole when moved.

Does anyone know if these are original parts as I am guessing they have been replaced at some point with just some similar pieces of plastic? ANy ideas how to solve this if these are the correct ones? It is annoying the life out of me. Silent joysticks that make noises are just not cool.

Cheers
Muzland