Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Different control setups?  (Read 778 times)

niterider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2006, 08:22:42 pm
Different control setups?
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:13:20 pm »
I've got a Virtua Fighter 2 cabinet that the monitor works fine, but the boards (it came with four games) all have some problems so their not playable.

I'm considering using this cab for a MAME machine, but I would like to do more with it then just the standard "2 player-6 button" layout.

What I would like to do is set it up so I could play a 2 player light gun game like Area 51 or go to a racing game like Pole Position with a steering wheel and gas/brake pedals.

Does anyone have a setup that sounds like this?  I'm looking for ideas on how to do this, products (guns, steering wheels, ect) to use, or just suggestions for anything else that would be cool to add.

Thanks for your time.

telengard

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2023, 10:23:01 am
  • Yeah, it's a classic! 21+ on BYOAC and still goin
    • S T U R C A D E
Re: Different control setups?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 05:08:48 pm »
I've got a Virtua Fighter 2 cabinet that the monitor works fine, but the boards (it came with four games) all have some problems so their not playable.

I'm considering using this cab for a MAME machine, but I would like to do more with it then just the standard "2 player-6 button" layout.

What I would like to do is set it up so I could play a 2 player light gun game like Area 51 or go to a racing game like Pole Position with a steering wheel and gas/brake pedals.

Does anyone have a setup that sounds like this?  I'm looking for ideas on how to do this, products (guns, steering wheels, ect) to use, or just suggestions for anything else that would be cool to add.

Thanks for your time.

hiya niterider,

You have a few options if you decide to go this route.  You could either use swappable panels (which I had at one point).  This would allow you to replace the entire top part of your control panel.  A more flexible (but more work of course) is to have a modular panel.  This is what I have now and I am very happy with it.  If you are only planning on swapping in guns and steering wheels you could possibly just add a USB socket on your panel and come up with a way to clamp the steering wheel to your single panel.  Lots of options and probably even more.  Give the forums a search for terms like "swappable" or modular and you'll find a few cool projects/ideas.

have fun,
~telengard
S T U R C A D E     M.A.M.E. Cabinet
http://www.briansturk.com/mame.html

niterider

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 19, 2006, 08:22:42 pm
Re: Different control setups?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 05:29:09 pm »
I like how you have yours setup.  Thats a pretty neat idea.

I was thinking of doing something about what you did, but I was going to go with something more general. Sorta like using just three or four different setups that and that would be it.  I'm considering mounting a couple of light guns to either side of the cabinet and then just having a steering wheel panel, a standard "fighter" panel, and a "classic" panel (pacman, galaga, dig dug, ect) with a spinner and a trackball that I could switch out.

Thanks for the info.