Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: LED-Wiz resitor question. Randy can you help here?  (Read 890 times)

Farmboy90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
LED-Wiz resitor question. Randy can you help here?
« on: March 05, 2006, 12:47:45 am »
A buddy bougt a led wiz, electric ice buttons, and the rgb drives for his control panel.

Are resistors needed at all to control his buttons?  He bought all the from GGG of course and the documentation on there says to wire in resistors.  But is this really true, or is the documentation old or meant for uses other than with the RGB drive?

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:56:55 am
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
Re: LED-Wiz resitor question. Randy can you help here?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 01:03:01 am »
A buddy bougt a led wiz, electric ice buttons, and the rgb drives for his control panel.

Are resistors needed at all to control his buttons?  He bought all the from GGG of course and the documentation on there says to wire in resistors.  But is this really true, or is the documentation old or meant for uses other than with the RGB drive?

If he is using the fully populated RGB-Drives, there should be on the small boards 3 resistors and 1 RGB LED.  If that's what he has, then they are to be directly connected to the outputs of the LED-Wiz.  If he has the version with the cable attached, the cable marked in red is the common anode.

RandyT

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2006, 01:28:24 am »
Thanks RandyT!  Forgive me for not understanding all this very well.  I am trying to learn so I can teach him.  :)

He bought a bunch of electirc ice buttons, rgb drives, and led wizes (2 I think) from you last week.

So are you saying he is good to go?  That he doesn't need anything else to get it all working (ie, no ressitors or soldering)?

He also got a couple of 49 ways and gpwiz49 from you too...

Thanks!

Fat-Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 09:23:33 am
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2006, 07:44:41 am »
So are you saying he is good to go?  That he doesn't need anything else to get it all working (ie, no ressitors or soldering)?
Yes, he is "good to go".  I will try to give a simple explanation of what he has:

The instructions for the LEDwiz say that you need resistors in series with your LED.....meaning, you cant just hook up a LED right to the LEDwiz, it will "pop" the LED, and the LED will be burnt out.  Thats no good.

So, what you need to do is hook up a resistor to every LED that you are hooking up to the LEDwiz.  Luckily, you say that your friend bought the "RGB drive" boards from Randy as well.

On the board, there is a RGB LED  (RGB stands for Red, Green, Blue)  Think of is as three individual LED's housed in that little clear housing.  And if you look at the board, you will see that Randy soldered three little resistors right into the board for you!!  (What a nice guy)  This way, all you have to do is hook up the wires....the resistors are already there, in-line on the circuit board.

In summary, all you got to do to hook up the 4 wires coming from the RGB Drive board.  Three wires go to three outputs of the LEDwiz (1 output each for the Red, Green, and Blue LED's), and the 4th wire goes to the common +5VDC source on the LEDwiz board.  The resistors are already there, everything takes care if itself.  That is pretty much the reason that Randy made this board, and why it was so appealing to me.  Not a lot of soldering, and resistors, and heat shrinking, etc...  It's plug & play!!

Hope that helps ya,
FJ

ps.....I wrote this assuming you had the populated bouard with the LED and resistors already on the board.  If you just ordered the bare board, obviously you are gonna have to solder in your own resistor(s) and LED.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2006, 03:46:29 pm »
Thanks for the help guys.

Now can one of you explain to me how to wire multiple buttons off of oneled-wiz outputs?  In other words, if I wanted 5 buttons to all be green then I suppose I could "splice" off one of the led wiz outputs in 5 splices and send each splice to the "G" connector on 5 of the RGB Drive/buttons.  Is this ok?  Will I need to power it any differently?

Is it better to just splice off the 5v wire from the PC power supply to power the led wiz?