Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Kidsball  (Read 3503 times)

striff

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2002, 04:32:57 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
Kidsball
« on: April 12, 2002, 12:30:07 am »
Has anyone used a Genius Kidsball on their Mame arcade cabinet or have used one? If so could you provide feed back on what's it like. I thinking of using one these for my arcade cabinet project..Thanks
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Lilwolf

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
Re: Kidsball
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2002, 10:12:19 am »
I've heard they have a bad spin-back when spinning them fast.  They also don't have the weight.

I think you can replace the ball though with a true arcade tackball ball.

But I dont' think it's worth it myself.  You can get a wico trackball for 35 bucks these days (cheaper for the 2 1/4 ones).  Imperial has a good one with a ps2 connection.  Or go to ebay and look around.

btw, I got mine on ebay.  I thought when I bought it for 20 bucks I got a GREAT deal because it was a marbled ball.  Well, when I got it, it ended up being really really really dirty white ball... but I cleaned it up and it worked ok.  Then 10 bucks later I got new rollers.   btw, that was a happs trackball

dgodwin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2007, 05:08:54 pm
    • http://dgodwin.com
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2002, 02:06:31 pm »
Did the trackball you got on ebay have a wire harness?  I've been looking for a trackball, but the less expensive ones don't have a harness.  Is there a place where you can buy just the harness?  Thanks

Daniel
A cubicle is a coffin with email.

1UP:)

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2002, 02:30:12 pm »
The kidsball works great.  I have one in my CP, with a translucent blue replacement ball.  Backspin probs are only in certain games, but are usually fixable thru the sensitivity settings in Mame.  Missile Command works fine.  

The biggest problem is how to mount it, given it's bloated, rounded-foo shape.  I cut away a lot of the housing and put it into a square project enclosure so it's easier to mount. If I'd known how cheap the imperial balls were, I might not have gotten the Kye, but it all worked out in the end.

striff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2002, 04:32:57 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2002, 05:18:26 pm »
Thanks, for the info.
I'll probably go try the Kidsball only because I live in Australia and getting the Arcade versions, dealing with cross-rates and shipping becomes very expensive.
1UP:) You were talking about a replacemnet translucent ball, where can you get these? Excuse my ignorance but what is it exactly when you talk about the backspin problems?
Has anyone tried a billard ball for a trackball?

Thanks

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2002, 10:35:28 pm »
Thanks, for the info.
I'll probably go try the Kidsball only because I live in Australia and getting the Arcade versions, dealing with cross-rates and shipping becomes very expensive.
1UP:) You were talking about a replacemnet translucent ball, where can you get these? Excuse my ignorance but what is it exactly when you talk about the backspin problems?
Has anyone tried a billard ball for a trackball?

Thanks

Trackballs are basically made of the same stuff as billiards, but pool balls are not quite big enough for the Kidsball.  My cousin had an 8-ball in his old Mac trackball, but those actually used cueballs in the first place!

http://www.therealbobroberts.com has replacement balls of many different colors and sizes, pretty cheap too.

BTW, you can see how I mounted my Kidsball at http://www.1UParcade.com.

Good luck!

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2002, 07:40:13 am »
I have the Crayola version ov the Kidsball in my CP and I have had no problems with it so far either.  Sooner or later I will order a translucent ball, but so far the original ball seems to work great.
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility