Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pixelbox  (Read 103011 times)

Cameronj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2012, 12:59:01 pm
  • I'm a Super llama!
Re: Pixelbox
« Reply #80 on: June 12, 2006, 10:04:08 pm »
One minor suggestion...

You might want to make your pixelbox marquee color order match that of your buttons.

I look forward to seeing your progress. I will race your with my tabletop that I am working on. It has been going a bit slow but I am picking up steam.

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 22, 2020, 05:59:29 pm
  • Who the heck is that?
Re: Project RGB
« Reply #81 on: June 12, 2006, 11:16:24 pm »

One weird thing happened tonight, though. The Soundbite pumped out the audio for MAME and some MP3s really nicely, but wouldn't play the audio straight from a CD. Anyone know why? A software glitch, or maybe because it gets the audio over the USB cable?

Late to the party here, and maybe your new speakers have fixed the issue, but just in case you've still got it or somebody else reading this has a similar one:

The short version is, yes, it's because you're using USB speakers.

Long, boring, skip-if-you-don't-really-care version:

CD audio is typically decoded on the built-in CD player hardware that's a part of every CDROM drive, rather than your player software reading the file and decoding it in software.  The audio is carried as an analog audio signal, rather than a digital one, via that little extra audio cable that runs from the back of your CDROM drive to your soundcard, or, in the case of onboard sound, to the built-in soundcard via a terminal on the motherboard.  Then the soundcard routes it straight through the amplifier section, bypassing the digital section of the card.  There's no path for this audio signal to get to your USB port.  Even if it did, depending on whether the speakers are expecting digital data, or an analog audio signal, they might not be able to play it.  (I don't know what kind of signal those speakers get over the USB cable.) 

Possible fixes:  All CDROM drives have a digital out port on the back- it's that little two-pin connector you've never plugged anything into.  I've seen tutorials on the net on how to make use of this connector to get a digital signal out of your CDROM.  A soundcard with a digital input should be able to make use of this, and possibly pass that digital audio back to the system, which could then send it to your USB speakers.  Some CDROM drives have (or used to have) other varieties of digital outputs (toslink, fiber-optic) that can also be interfaced with high-end soundcards.  If the speakers have a standard analog input, you could just route your soundcard's speaker out to it, in addition to the USB cable.  If there's no line-in on the speakers, and you wanted to get crazy, there's almost certainly a point on the speaker's PCB where you could solder a line from the soundcard's audio-out; this would be a point between any digital circuitry, but before the amplifier section.  I don't know enough to know how to find it, but others may.  It also might be possible to simply run a line from the soundcard's speaker out jack to the soundcard's line-in jack.  The soundcard may digitize the audio from the line-in and pass it to the system. 

Disclaimer:  I may be talking out my butt on all or some of the above.  Please smack me in the face with a mackerel if I'm wrong.

--------------------

Also, I really like the bartop!  Makes me want to build one.  Nice!

vrf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 13, 2017, 10:11:54 pm
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #82 on: June 12, 2006, 11:53:28 pm »
The short version is, yes, it's because you're using USB speakers.
Long, boring, skip-if-you-don't-really-care version...

Wow, thanks for the detailed explanation! I appreciate the possible solutions, too, but I probably won't be putting a CD drive in the cab. I was just testing the speakers on my workstation. (I must confess, though, that I've been really tempted to try fitting in one of those slimline, slot-loading DVD-ROM drives.)

As for the new speakers, they have the same issue, but no biggee. They sound great. Lounder and with a bit more bass. Great imaging, too. I didn't think stereo separation would be that big of deal on a 10" wide cab, but it really does make a difference.

The Phillips speakers have a separate passive radiator on the backside, so I had a moment of panic wondering where I could put them in my cab without snuffing out one of the speakers. I was pleased to find out that they sqeeze in very nicely behind my marquee, with the subwoofers pointing down over the monitor, and the main speaker and tweeter pointing up out the "roof" of the cab. I got lucky on that one.

One minor suggestion...

You might want to make your pixelbox marquee color order match that of your buttons.

I look forward to seeing your progress. I will race your with my tabletop that I am working on. It has been going a bit slow but I am picking up steam.

Good tip on the marquee color. I'll knock out a sketch with the reversed colors later on. Oh, and I could never resist a good race, although mine won't be complete for a few months, at the very least. So get on your horse and put up a project log.  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 11:57:34 pm by vrf »

Crafty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2009, 11:32:25 pm
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2006, 12:15:40 am »

Amazing pick up.

I have been watching and commenting (occasionally) on this project yet never noticed this little point.

Just goes to show the value of posting your project and seeking feedback.
A Bad Day Playing Is Better Than a Good Day Working

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2006, 01:03:49 am »
The reversed marquee colors were actually intentional on the first draft, but it's good to know that it looks "off" to some people. I'll try the other way.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006, 01:25:54 am by vrf »

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2006, 12:20:58 am »
Can I get a quick vote from you guys? Would white side walls look okay, or is the all black thing a better choice?

This is just a quick Photoshop paint-over, but you should be able to get an idea from it. My side walls might have an 1/8" extra sheet to cover grooves and notches, so I'm thinking of another color acrylic. Or maybe vinyl side art would be better?

Cameronj

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 03, 2012, 12:59:01 pm
  • I'm a Super llama!
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2006, 01:38:13 am »
From your renderings, I would say the black looks WAY better.

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 07:02:34 pm
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2006, 01:46:55 am »
I like the white. It looks different in a good way. More artistic?
Bob Dole likes cheese.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2006, 02:17:33 am »
Ok I am going to contradict myself here...

I prefer the black renderings over the white so far, but from your first post it has been obvious you want this project to be as small as possible.

Therefore in this vain, the white sides will give the "Pixelbox" a smaller looking appearance which is what I think you are trying to achieve...

Told you I was contradictory.... :banghead:

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #89 on: June 15, 2006, 03:02:57 am »
the white sides will give the "Pixelbox" a smaller looking appearance

But it's "black" that's slimming.
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2006, 08:36:59 pm »
Yeah, according to my wife, black clothes are slimming. Don't know about arcade machines.

Anyhow, the white side walls idea came in an effort to duplicate that old-school arcade machine look. I'd probably need some colorful sideart, though.

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2006, 11:56:47 pm »
To clarify the black vs white comment...

In the rendering provided the white cabinet in most houses will tend to blend into the backround hence being less  noticeable.

On the other hand somewhere on mockingbird lane a black machine would blend right in...

I suppose with some rocking side art on the white sides my comments become irrelevant as this will make the cabinet stand out....

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2006, 12:57:03 am »
Maybe the color depends on where it'll be sitting when it's done. 
In a dark room?  White. 
In a white room?  Black. 
In a beige room?  What are you, some kind of nancy?

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2006, 10:06:09 pm »
Maybe the color depends on where it'll be sitting when it's done. 
In a dark room?  White. 
In a white room?  Black. 
In a beige room?  What are you, some kind of nancy?

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2006, 11:43:17 pm »
The walls in my house are off-white enough so that you could almost call them beige. No nancy-boy here, though.  :)

I think I'm leaning toward the white side walls with some kind of sideart. I like the idea of it looking as much like a real arcade cab as possible.

Another addition is I'm trying to design in a little plastic flip-up handle for easy carrying. The challenge is trying to guess where a good pivot point would be. The cab looks a little front heavy at this point, so the handle will have to be towards the front of the top panel.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2006, 01:37:03 am by vrf »

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: June 19, 2006, 12:38:42 am »
Another addition is I'm trying to design in a little plastic flip-up handle for easy carrying. The challenge is trying to guess where a good pivot point would be. The cab looks a little front heavy at this point, so the handle will have to be towards the back of the top panel.

What about straps so you can carry it on your back?
Bob Dole likes cheese.

theCoder

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2010, 10:48:47 pm
  • I'll clean up my mess, Honey, when I'm done...
« Reply #96 on: June 19, 2006, 03:06:49 am »
You might consider putting finger holes, grip tape, or something similar on the horizontal surface under the marquee.  I put a 45 degree champher on the leading edge piece of the PartyBox project for just this purpose. 

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=53486.0

It fits my hand well and the champher hits my fingers right at the fingertips. 

Whatever you do, make sure what you come up with is as elegant as the rest of your design.  Your box is going to rock!

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #97 on: June 20, 2006, 01:27:18 am »
Good idea on using the marquee lip as a handle. I do still kind of like the idea of a swinging handle that folds flat against the roof, but we'll see what works.

As for the backpack straps... well... err... Was that a joke?

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: June 20, 2006, 02:09:11 am »
No easier way to carry it than distributing the weight across your body. I didn't think you'd have rainbow colored straps permanently attached or anything. Maybe some clips to add the straps when you need to move the machine somewhere. Or possibly a carrying case with foam padding and a cool logo? I guess it depends on much you plan on moving it, and how long a distance you intend to carry it when you do. Just throwing out ideas with little regard to the feasiblity of those ideas. You may not like my idea, but it might get you thinking in a different direction, which can be good sometimes.
Bob Dole likes cheese.

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #99 on: June 20, 2006, 02:59:19 am »
okay, gotcha. I was thinking "move from shelf to table" and you were thinking "walk down the street to the coffee shop."  (I still think I'd look kind of funny, though, walking down the street with a little arcade machine strapped to my back. :))

Anyhow, I think the handle will suffice for most handling. But for longer trips a padded carrying case is a great idea. Not sure how I'll go about it (learn to sew?) but it's something I'd like to look into. Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 03:03:09 am by vrf »

Crafty

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:12 pm »
I think that walking down the street with your acade machine strapped to your back might qualify you as a modern day pied piper.... (all the kids will follow) :laugh2: :laugh2:

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2006, 09:31:08 pm »
okay, gotcha. I was thinking "move from shelf to table" and you were thinking "walk down the street to the coffee shop."  (I still think I'd look kind of funny, though, walking down the street with a little arcade machine strapped to my back. :))

Anyhow, I think the handle will suffice for most handling. But for longer trips a padded carrying case is a great idea. Not sure how I'll go about it (learn to sew?) but it's something I'd like to look into. Thanks!

I have one of these at work, but they're expensive... Around $100

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: June 21, 2006, 12:38:20 am »
Build some sort of solar powering device for the thing, and strap it to your front so you can play and walk. Carry it on the subway. Take it to the beach. It'd be sweet.

I guess you didn't really have all of that in mind. I think a hidden handle would work just fine for carrying it from one room in the house to another. One thing to note would be the center of gravity though. I know you're looking for something really lightweight, but by balancing that properly it becomes even lighter. I used to stock TVs for Montgomery Ward, and boy was there a huge difference when you made sure the screen was facing you trying to carry it up the ladders. Just something else to think about. Although by looking at how awesome your cab is, you've probably thought about all this stuff already.
Bob Dole likes cheese.

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #103 on: June 21, 2006, 01:46:52 am »
Yeah, I've thought of the center of gravity thing, but it'll still be tricky to get it to work exactly. I think I'm going to guess as well as I can, and then include a few sets of holes where the handle can be attached. (These holes will be hidden, too.) That way, once the case is almost finished , I can figure out the exact pivot point and slot the handle into the right holes. Might even glue the little circles back in for the ones I don't use.

As for a battery-powered MAME cab... Well, not this time. But in the future, I think this will be a real possibility using one of those new ultra-mobile PCs. (Once the costs come down and the bugs are worked out.)

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: June 21, 2006, 12:10:52 pm »
That's an idea. Using a handheld PC. My idea was more along the lines of this. Unlimited amount of renewable energy. Plus, it gives you good reason to drink some beers while playing.
Bob Dole likes cheese.

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2006, 11:25:08 pm »
The pee-pee box?

I think I'll stick with the DC brick.  :)

(But if you build one, let me know.)

johnperkins21

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2006, 01:13:03 am »
The pee-pee box?

I think I'll stick with the DC brick.  :)

(But if you build one, let me know.)

With all the beer I'll be drinking playing Golden Tee at home, I can't afford not to. ;D
Bob Dole likes cheese.

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #107 on: July 02, 2006, 02:12:22 pm »
Why don't you set a drawer-pull handle into the backside?  They have some that are inset, meaning....nevermind, lemme find a picture.

Here.  Several different kinds, but the top one is NOT what I am intending. 

Beech Pull- top 23127- Projects 3/4'' . 2-1/2'' boring.

Solid Oak Pull- center 33324- is 4-5/16'' wide and 2'' high overall. Requires a mortise of 3-13/16'' wide x 1-13/16'' high x 7/16'' deep. Projects approximately 3/8'' .

Surface Mounted Drawer Pull- bottom 33316- Unfinished solid oak pull is approximately 4-1/2'' wide x 1-3/4'' high overall. Sanded smooth, ready for finishing. Mounts from the rear with machine screws included with the pull. Projects approximately 7/8'' . 3-3/8'' .

And a side shot of another one so you can see how they "work":

These will range between $4-10 and can be painted to match the rest of your project if you don't want the wood look.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 02:20:33 pm by DrewKaree »
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Veinman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 11, 2014, 02:40:27 pm
  • "Done" with The Legend of Mame
    • The Gelatinous Cube
« Reply #108 on: July 02, 2006, 04:45:58 pm »
Looking great, and I admire your planning skills. :)

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #109 on: July 02, 2006, 10:02:40 pm »
Why don't you set a drawer-pull handle into the backside? 

That's actually a great idea, particularily in that it can be painted to match. However, I think I'm about finished with the handle part.

Still, I'll maybe take a peek at B&Q (Taiwan's Home Depot) to see what they have. Thanks!

Jayme65

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2018, 01:57:12 am
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2006, 05:27:34 pm »
Any news with your project?
I'm very curious to see the final product ;-)

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2006, 10:30:52 am »
I'll have a couple big updates pretty soon. Stay tuned!  :)

waldo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2008, 01:44:00 am
« Reply #112 on: November 13, 2006, 08:47:28 pm »
tuned in abd waiting  :P

waldo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2008, 01:44:00 am
« Reply #113 on: November 14, 2006, 09:09:05 pm »
actually dont suppose anyone knows where i could get a mini trackball 1 1/2 inch apart from happcontrols dont like the idea of a smaller ball costing more than my 3 inch one. :timebomb:

quarterback

• King Of The Night Time World!
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 16, 2023, 10:51:41 pm
« Reply #114 on: November 20, 2006, 10:51:52 pm »

Looking forward to seeing the updates!
No crap, don't put your kids in a real fridge.
-- Chad Tower

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 17, 2024, 12:52:27 pm
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2006, 02:41:21 pm »

Looking forward to seeing the updates!
Ditto
Project mega thread HERE

sealslayer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 18, 2014, 04:41:30 pm
  • Why screw when you can bolt
« Reply #116 on: November 23, 2006, 03:26:26 pm »
Another addition is I'm trying to design in a little plastic flip-up handle for easy carrying. The challenge is trying to guess where a good pivot point would be. The cab looks a little front heavy at this point, so the handle will have to be towards the back of the top panel.

What about straps so you can carry it on your back?

The answer to all your problems  :laugh2:

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #117 on: December 09, 2006, 07:22:29 pm »
Hey, whatever happened to this?

vrf

• Offline Offline
    • Pixelbox
« Reply #118 on: December 09, 2006, 11:05:51 pm »
Hey, whatever happened to this?

The long delay was due to me underestimating the amount of time I'd have to put into getting the CAD file ready. All the little details kept piling on each other, and I had to tweak the profile yet again so my VGA cable could actually plug into the motherboard. (Of course, after the design was finalized, I then read about a compact VGA cable used in another mini-itx project: http://slipperyskip.com/page2.html  ::))

Anyhow, I'm pretty sick of Illustrator and Turbocad at this point. But I finally finished that stage, and now the fun stuff can begin. I think you guys will like the next few updates. (Still this year, I promise!)

Thanks, everyone, for your interest and patience!

Kremmit

• - AHOTW -
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Who the heck is that?
« Reply #119 on: December 11, 2006, 10:47:27 pm »
Groovy, glad it's not dead.  I was trolling for inspiration; I've been getting the urge to build a similar unit.  Can't wait to see how yours comes out!