Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: UPDATED Roadblasters game, NOW WORKING!  (Read 21562 times)

2PacMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 06, 2009, 08:33:45 am
  • PacMan collection
UPDATED Roadblasters game, NOW WORKING!
« on: February 17, 2006, 08:44:24 am »
PICS BELOW....

I might need your guy's help as i progress, i'll take pics and stuff, i plan on working on it alot this weekend.  As it stands right now, it turns on and seems to 'restart' about 15 times and once the game 'warms up', it goes to a scrambled black screen with white numbers on it.  That's all i know so far, because i've spent the last day or so just drilling out the locks and cleaning it, boy was it dirty.  And i replaced the fan because the plastic blade literally crumbled in my hand as i was cleaning it.  The plug is missing the ground prong, so that's the first thing i'm going to take care of.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 12:01:28 pm by 2PacMan »

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: I got a Roadblasters arcade game yesterday....nonworking
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2006, 11:15:57 am »
Roadblasters does have power supply problems and it sounds like yours is experiencing bad power. I have a friend with several Roadblaster games on his route. They all have been converted to modern switching regulator power supplies to replace the trouble-prone originals and are running well.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 11:21:40 am »
Thank you Ken...what is a good switching power supply to purchase for this particular game?  Do you have a link/recommendation?  I am very green when it comes to power supplies and voltage and things of that nature, so the easier the transition, the better.  Hopefully one maybe that i can just unplug the stuff from the old PS and plug it right into the newer one...thank you.

PetitMorte

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 11, 2015, 10:03:43 am
  • . . . - - - . . .
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 03:45:45 pm »
When I picked up my Roadblasters, it had power issues as well.

On advice from folks here, I swapped in a spare williams power supply I had laying around to power the PCB.  Check THIS THREAD for specific details.

Unfortunately, it's more complicated than just unplugging the old power supply and adding in a new one.

HERE is an example of a power supply that will work fine with Roadblasters.  Like Rocky said in the other thread, he is using an old computer power supply for his game.

If you're interested in restoring the origional power supply and sound board, The Real Bob Roberts sells replacement Big Blue caps, and has repair kits for the Atari sound boards

Also, I have been watching several roadblasters auctions on e-bay, and one that ended yesterday was for a NOS marquee.  The guy wanted $9.00 for it, and no one bid on it.  I'd watch for that to be relisted.

If you have any questions, let us know!
Bitten by the cabinet bug... obsessing ever since.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2006, 04:26:30 pm »
Thank you so much for the advice.  The guy did relist the marquee today and i bid on it.  Thanks for the heads up.

Ugh...i'm not looking forward to dealing with that power supply issue, i'm going to mess with it tonight a bit and take some pics and i'll post them tomorrow...maybe you can help me out if i have some pics.  I don't care about keeping the original power supply, i'll buy the one you recommended to me if i need to.  I'm just worried about those big blue caps, is it safe to touch them and unscrew them from the cabinet?

Thank you very much.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2006, 04:32:24 pm by 2PacMan »

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:51:05 am
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2006, 05:07:24 pm »
first before you change that psu just meter out the voltages,you dont want to buy a new psu,change your wiring and find out its a board fault-mind you from what you have already said it sounds like a low 5volts,but you gotta prove it first. ;)

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Re: I got a Roadblasters arcade game yesterday....nonworking PICS ADDED
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 01:18:16 pm »
Ok, i messed around with my machine last night, never could get it to work.  I put a new grounding plug on it and cleaned all the plugs and stuff real well. 

First of all, the minute i turn on the game, this flashes on the screen for one second:

ROM AT 18000 ERROR U
ROM AT 50000 ERROR U
ROM AT 58000 ERROR U

Then the game just proceeds to make one beep and reset itself about 15 times, then it stops and a frozen screen appears.  9 times out of 10 it's the first picture, sometimes i get the second picture to show up.

The coin lights work and the counter works...i click the credit switch and the game makes a noise, like a 'bong' sound like it recognizes the credit.  The fan in the machine runs fine as well.  I replaced the marquee with a standard plug in one, so i haven't hooked that up yet.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 01:21:19 pm »
On the system one board, there is a light on the bottom which is on continuously when i turn the game on (pic1 circled in blue)

There is a second red LED light towards the top of the System 1 board that continually flashes every time the game resets itself, once the game gets to the frozen screen, the light stays off (pics 2&3 circled in blue)

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 01:27:17 pm »
Lastly, here are pics of my power supply.  If i do have to switch it out to the new power supply, how do i hook it up?  I was thinking about putting a surge protector in there and plugging what i can into there and running that cord to the wall.  That would take care of my marquee light and the fan.  Can i put a plug on the monitor cord and plug that into the surge protector?  It looks like i could.  Then it looks like the only remaining things to deal with would be what i have circled in blue, which is the soundboard plugged into the PS and the main power cord, right? 

Also, the big blue caps i have circled in purple....can i touch those?  How can i unscrew those without getting shocked?  I bought some all plastic electrician screwdrivers, would those do the trick?  I removed and cleaned all the fuses as well and they all appear to be good.

How do i check for the +5 volt?  I have a multimeter, but i'm not sure where to put the probes....could you show me where to put them on the pictures that i provided??  Also, how do i adjust the +5 voltage, i don't see a knob anywhere to do this. 

Thank you for any help you can provide....i really want to restore this game and not MAME it.

ElGwako

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2011, 10:49:40 am
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 02:26:36 pm »
How do i check for the +5 volt?  I have a multimeter, but i'm not sure where to put the probes....could you show me where to put them on the pictures that i provided?? 

does a wiring diagram help?   download the whole schematic package at KLOV

Rocky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 30, 2009, 12:38:41 pm
  • I want to finish my cab before I retire!!
Re: Roadblasters game, nonworking..... PICS ADDED!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2006, 09:05:29 pm »
You need to check the voltages on the mainboard where the 15 pin molex connector is.  The System 1 manual should give you the pinouts to know which pin is for which voltage.  Put the red lead on the +5 volt pin and the black on to ground and see if your board is getting the right voltage.

For the Big Blue. I just use a plastic handled screw driver and touch the metal part to both of the leads while only touching the plastic handle. Do that several times until it quits sparking.

Good luck,
Rocky

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 09:05:22 am »
sounds like those roms are faulty on your board,probably graphic roms thats why you get good sounds-you gotta start at the beginning on this one,before you assume your psu is faulty you gotta meter the voltages first.if your voltages are fine then look at the board,first clean and reseat any removable eprom(do it one by one and remember which way round they go)-if you still get no luck then its likely the processor that decodes the roms has gone faulty,i had a very similar problem on a gti club where it read the roms were faulty but it was a big processor causing the fault,i had no choice but to send the board to konami for repair-but worth trying what i have said,you never know your luck ;)

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2006, 08:23:24 am »
OK, i did some more testing this weekend.  I tested the +5 voltages on the boards...i'm getting 5.2 volts on the audio III board, 4.9 on the Roadblaster board and 4.9 on the System 1 board.  Does this mean anything?  I found the +5v adjuster on the audio III board, but it was covered in rubber glue.  I removed the glue, but i didn't tamper with it because i know you can fry your board if you turn it up too high, i can adjust it though if you think i need to.

Also, on the audio III board, i found a test switch, so i switched it over to TEST instead of game, and i got the test screens to come up!  Here are the pics.   Everything passes good except at the beginning it still says "Bad Rom Error U at 18000, 50000, and 58000.  I pulled the board and i don't see any roms labelled with those numbers.  Are they on the Roadblasters board or on the Atari System I board, does anyone know?  Since the TEST function works, does that eliminate the power supply as being a problem??  I didn't reseat all the chips (there are alot on the system 1 board) but i did clean them all with a small brush and pushed down on them all to make sure there was a good connection, but nothing changed.

Here are the pics:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 08:25:09 am by 2PacMan »

grantspain

• Offline Offline
Re: Roadblasters game, nonworking..... MORE PICS ADDED 02/21
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 12:25:53 pm »
unfortunately cleaning your roms with a brush and pressing them down does not constitute cleaning the roms-gotta take em out im afraid.
your 5volts is a bit low,but i dont think this is your fault(to fry a board the 5v would have go above 6v) i would adjust this up a bit.
but you do have a strange fault as you get all your tests,do all your tests work fine i.e switch lines(controls/credits etc),sounds,graphics?

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2006, 12:42:35 pm »
First of all, thank you for all your help GreatSpain.  The tests appear to all work....well, there is a switch test with 4 0's and i can only get one of the 0's to change to a "1"...but then i use another button to advance the screen, so i know at least 2 of the four steering wheel buttons work, and the petal works.  There are some weird graphics tests that i'm not really sure what they do, like i move boxes around by steering the wheel around, but they all appear to work fine.  Sounds check out good and speech chip test checks out.  Does the appearence of these test screens eliminate the bad PSU possibility?

I will try to up the +5V a little when i get home and see if that does anything.  Is there any way i can narrow the problem down to the Roadblasters daughter board or the Atari system one main board??  What happens if i just plug the system one board in with no cartridge, will that screw things up?  I have never pulled chips up before, got any advice??  I know you use a flat screwdriver and do it gently, right?  I'm afraid i might break a leg off.  After i pull the chip off, what do i do, do i clean it with something like an eraser, or just dust it off or what?  The Roadblaster cartrige doesn't have too many chips to reseat, but the system one board has ALOT of them..i wish there was a way to pinpoint what specific chips the game is saying is bad so i don't have to pull them all.  Any advice??
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006, 12:45:08 pm by 2PacMan »

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2006, 01:35:02 pm »
those error codes do tell where the faulty roms are-on the board you should that self same number stamped on the rom location(this applies to all pcb i have worked on,but i am not familiar with roadblasters but the same process applies).as for removing your chips it is just a case of insert a flat electrical type screwdriver into one end of the chip between the socket and the chip and lever one side up a fraction then to the opposite end and the same process.when the chip has been removed use a very fine nail file to remove any muck(or some sort of solvent cleaner)-dont bend any of the legs BUT please remember chips go in one way round only,to avoid mistakes mark the chip and the socket with a dot of maybe correction fluid-this is a sure fire way of getting the chip back in the correct way round.you wont do any damage powering up without the game rom plugged in and also this narrow down your fault to either one the the boards.
you know when i get spill on game boards i remove all socket ic's,dismantle if multi layer and then wash in a bucket of hot soapy water with a paint brush,rinse off and leave near heat source for a day.most people think this is not possible but believe me it is(just make sure there is no battery anywhere otherwise dis one side),still think your psu is fine

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2006, 01:44:23 pm »
i just had a look for some more info-type in atari system 1 in search,there is a site starts members.tripod it has the pinouts and voltages for roadblasters,get this first then compare voltages before doing anything else.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2006, 01:46:55 pm »
OK, so if i plug the game in without the roadblasters daughter board and the same thing happens, then it's the atari system one board, right?  Or should i remove a rom from the roadblaster card and then turn it on and see if i get a different error?

So i just need to file the very tips of the chips?  can i clean them with an over the counter spray cleaner?  

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2006, 01:58:38 pm »
if you unplug your game rom and still have the same error its your system 1 board,i dont like the idea of unplugging roms and powering up-may cause damage,unlikely but a small possibility.i clean the whole leg and is better to use a very fine file of some type as the chance of bending a leg is less,if you use a cleaner its gotta be a solvent electrical cleaner and when finished make sure the legs are dry.but please check out that site as some of the voltages i viewed are not what i expected.gotta prove these first

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2006, 02:08:32 pm »
I'm very confused on how to measure these pinout voltages...what do they mean by pinouts?  Is this where you stick the molex connector?  When i tested the +5V there were little metal tabs labled GND and +5/-5 on the boards themselves and that's how i measured them.

By looking at the website, pinout #1 p001 looks like the one i need to check because the other 4 pinouts are for sound, game test, etc...and those seem to be fine...where are these pinouts at on the board?  I'm sorry, i'm really confused.

Rocky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2006, 02:24:14 pm »
You can measure at the molex connector or at the convenient tabs that Atari supplied.  You have to measure while the game is on and drawing power.

Good luck,
Rocky

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2006, 02:38:49 pm »
they are on the power in plug,dont worry about it now-i think your psu must be o.k otherwise you would be missing one of those voltages,if you got graphics you got 5v,if you got sound you got -5/12v.just go back to doing what you said in the last but one post.if you feel a bit outta depth best sending your boards off to someone.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2006, 02:43:39 pm »
OK, well like i said, this is my first attempt at fixing a game...but i got this game as a learning experience for me, so i'm going to attempt to reseat the chips first and see what i can do...if i break them, oh well, i won't be out that much, just a little dissapointed.  Better experiment on this than my Mrs. Pac, which i'd be heartbroken if i broke.

When i get home i'm going to try:

#1 - turn the +5V to 5.5 to see if that does anything, if not, back down to 5.2 then.

#2 - Try the game w/o the Roadblaster daughter board and see if i get the same result.

#3 Reseat the chips on the Roadblaster cart.

Hopefully i'll get something to happen with one of these options.  Thank you greatspain and Rocky!

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:21 pm »
well that is exactly what i would do.your correct everyone has to start somewhere,dont be afraid of blowing things up its very rare that you will cause irreversable damage.the one thing i have learnt in 20 years of being an engineer is you dont get good by giving up,and i have never let a gaming machine of any type beat me,if its built by a human it can be fixed by a human.hope it goes well,just remember my hints.  ;)

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2006, 08:29:40 am »
Thanks, i have the same mindset you do...i'm not giving up, although i might be getting close......here's what happened last night.  I figured out I believe I have a Roadblasters 4 cartridge.

#1, i upped the voltage to +5.5...no change, so i lowered it back down to 5.2

#2, i unplugged the board and turned it on it says "no cartridge" in blue, but is flashing and is continuously trying to restart.  Is this normal or should i be getting a solid screen that says "no cartridge" and should not be flashing??  Well, i think i ruled out the system 1 board now.

#3 - I reseated all of the chips on the Roadblasters board.  It was pretty easy to do, i have confidence in this now!  The only problem is that now when i go to the playfield test, there are lines in it (see pic)...i don't know what happened.  I pulled them all and lightly filed them and put them back exactly the right way. 

Also, i got desperate, so i did pull a chip or two and ran the board to see what would happen, and i do get different "U" errors, so i can narrow the problem down to that upper row on ROMs on the board (see pics)  I also messed with the jumpers some, but they just made more errors and created "L" errors, so i left them alone.  I wonder if I am missing a set of chips in the cirlced area on the pic...can anyone confirm this?

I think i narrowed it down to a faulty Roadblasters board and a faulty PSU.  I do have another power supply i pulled from my cab. that i MAMED, but i have no idea if it works or not..there's a pic of it below.

A) Will this work for Roadblasters?
B) How can i test the PSU to see if it works?  How do i hook it up just to test it before i hook it to the Roadblasters board?
C) How do i hook it to the roadblasters game?  Pics would be greatly helpful.

I'm starting to think the best thing might be to find/buy a known working Roadblasters cartridge so i can narrow things down even more.  Does anyone have one they could sell me or trade for a potentially nonworking RB cart +cash??

Well thanks for everything, i feel like i might have taken a step backwards last night because now i have lines in the screen...but i think i did narrow down the problem some last night, and reseated chips for the first time!  Well, please help me with these issues, here are the pics.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 08:31:47 am by 2PacMan »

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
Re: UPDATED Roadblasters game, nonworking..... MORE PICS ADDED 02/22
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 08:37:58 am »
Oh yeah..i did end up winning that RB marquee off of ebay...wouldn't you know it, someone else was bidding on it too, it cost me more than 9.00 this time, so i'm one step closer cosmetically..i'm getting there guys!

Rocky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 10:45:38 am »
Why do you think the Power supply is bad?  Also, in your picture of the power supply, nothing is hooked up to the +5v.  Is this the one that is running your game?

When I test a switching power supply (like the one in your picture), I hook up only the AC input and turn it one for just a few seconds while metering the +5v.  Switching power supplies can be damaged without a load attached.   If it is putting out close to 5v then I hook it up to the game and test it again, making any adjustments needed to get the voltage to 5.1v.  Also test the -5v and +12v.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 11:09:22 am »
No, the one in the picture is just an extra PS i had lying around, it isn't hooked up to anything, i just didn't pull the old wires off.  I still have the original PS in my roadblasters game.

The reason i think it's bad?  Because Ken said alot of RB's power supplys go bad, and ken's a smart guy!  Plus, the game continually resets itself and eventually powers up to a frozen screen, then if left ran, it'll eventually start resetting itself again and get a different frozen screen..it looks like i can input some using the buttons ie: getting a different colored frozen screen by pushing a button...just weird erratic behavior.....Plus, when i pulled out the RB cartridge and just ran the sytem one board, it was saying "no cartridge" but was still resetting itself and flashing over and over...is this normal??  I guess i need to get a hold of a definate working RB board to know for sure....BUT, the test screens work OK, and the board is getting +5V ok, and the monitor is OK, so maybe it really is just the cartridge..i don't know??

Now that i think about it, the guy i bought it from said it just conked out on him one day....so for the PS and the board to go bad at exactly the same time seems kind of odd i guess....man i wish i had another system 1 board to test!...but a bad PS could be causing the board to give ROM Error messages, right?

I guess i can assume my extra PS works, someone just left it in my cab that i MAMED...but i have no idea how to hook it up to my Roadblasters, if you could use my pics i provided and draw me a diagram of where to put the wires to hook it up, i'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2006, 11:11:30 am by 2PacMan »

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2006, 12:13:32 pm »
The reason i think it's bad?  Because Ken said alot of RB's power supplys go bad, and ken's a smart guy! 

True, but if your RB has a switching power supply like in that picture, then the power supply has already been replaced! Those switchers are pretty reliable.

NO MORE!!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2006, 12:32:27 pm »
But it doesn't....see the pics above.  My roadblasters game still has the original PS in it with the 2 big blue atari caps.  The other PS is just one i had lying around i was going to replace the original RB one with if it is compatible with my roadblasters game, but the information i'm looking for is how exactly to hook up my blue switching power supply to my roadblasters game currently running off the original power supply (preferably with pics).

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2006, 12:43:36 pm »
you got lines because there is a bad connection or bent pin on one of your chips that you removed,the best way to prove your problem is to borrow a different game card like you said,your new psu i do not believe is compatible because judging from what i could make out your system has power regulators on your sound board hence your 5v pot,i would imagine it could be possible but only by an experienced engineer-if you get one voltage wrong then you fry your board.
if you want to test a switch mode psu just connect a 6v bulb across the +5  and common on your psu and connect up your a/c input,then you can meter your voltages.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2006, 12:50:47 pm »
Now...anyone have a Roadblasters PCB i could borrow??   :)

I guess i'll re-reseat my chips tonight and see if i can fix the problem.....so my new power supply is pretty much a no-go, huh?  If i need a new power supply put into the game, i'll have to hire someone to do it, right?

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2006, 01:35:23 pm »
But it doesn't....see the pics above.  My roadblasters game still has the original PS in it with the 2 big blue atari caps.  The other PS is just one i

Sorry about the mix up. I keep thinking about that other RB thread and didn't go through this one thoroughly.

The stripes ARE usually a badly seated chip, or broken pin, or broken trace somewhere. Just closely examine your whole board.

NO MORE!!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2006, 01:37:53 pm »
No biggie...i know there's been a few Roadblaster problem threads lately (coincidence?). 

Thanks for the advice about the lines, i'm going to double check my board tonight...there were no lines before, i reseated the chips, now there are lines, so hopefully i'll just have to re-reseat the chips again to fix it.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 08:09:51 am »
OK, i reseated all my chips again last night and i was able to get rid of the lines! :)  So now i'm back to square one with my original problem.  I have given up until i can find a known working RB/System 1 game  :'(  I don't know what else i can do w/o putting in new parts?  Hopefully someone here will have one i can buy/borrow. (fingers crossed).

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 08:34:51 am »
can you get into test without the game cartridge plugged in,if so and your tests check out then it makes it more likely to be the game cartridge.

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 09:40:24 am »
No...when i remove the cartridge the screen just says "no cartridge" and the screen flashes.  It does the same thing when it's in test mode too.  Seems to make sense because all the tests are for the roadblasters game itself, so w/o the cartridge, i don't see how it would even be able to run any of the tests.

I just got an email from a gentleman up in Canada who owns a Roadblasters and is willing to fix/test my board for me for only the cost of shipping so i think i'm going to go that route to at least eliminate one of my problems.

Rocky

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 10:58:40 am »
Hopefully your friend in Canada can fix the board. It seems like a bad cartridge from what you've described.

To answer a couple of your other questions.

1. It is normal for the screen to say "no cartridge" and continue to reset when there is not cartridge plugged in. So, it would seem that your mainboard it good  :D

2. You can use that switching power supply to run the game and you don't need to be an engineer to do it. You would need to rewire some things.  However, it seems as though you are getting good power to the board, so I would try a working cartrige first.

Glad you fixed the problem with lines on the screen!

2PacMan

• Offline Offline
  • PacMan collection
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 02:40:08 pm »
Wow, that is GREAT news!  I was worried that a resetting 'no cartridge' screen was bad, because i figured it would just say 'no cartridge' and not reset itself if it was acting normal.....but if that's normal, then most likely it is only my cartridge that is bad.

That is awesome, the guy in Canada has a ROM burner program so he said he's pretty sure he'll be able to fix it, if so, that'd be awesome!  I'm excited now.  This should also eliminate my power supply problem if the resetting 'no cartridge' screen is normal....i sent the cart out yesterday priority mail, so hopefully i should have it by the end of next week if he gets to work on it right away.  It is really nice of him to offer to fix it for free for me.

Thanks for the news Rocky!

ElGwako

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2011, 10:49:40 am
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 04:43:04 pm »
I wonder if I am missing a set of chips in the cirlced area on the pic...can anyone confirm this?

for the record.....everything looks to be there.
looks like you are well on your way....good luck