Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Dan's Arcade box / Juke box  (Read 5482 times)

cscon115

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2009, 02:45:29 pm
  • Sock it to me!
Dan's Arcade box / Juke box
« on: February 09, 2006, 01:03:32 pm »
So it starts...

INTRODUCTION: I am about to start a Jukebox for my game room. I will be adding pictures and asking opinions as time goes on. You may not hear from me for months and suddenly, you will see this thread pop up to the top of the board again. Hopefully you will
     a) Be inspired to do your own jukebox...
     b) help out (links to cool items, parts, or if I am lucky... CASH )
     c) give me suggestions as the project develops
     d) Kill a few hours at your workplace reading the thread
All are acceptable.

SPECIFICATIONS: This Jukebox will go into my basement arcade. It will be in a line with other games such as Pac-Man / Spy Hunter / Tempest / Etc.

SPEC 1: Because I want the Jukebox to fit (physically) in the lineup the Juke will be in an arcade box.

SPEC 2:Because I also want the Jukebox to match the "look and feel" of the arcade, all of the controls will be arcade buttons.

NOTE: I have access to all sorts of touch systems (my company makes custom IR Touch systems and I have about 15 or so 19-inch CRT touch systems in a box at my feet) I do not want to use them on this project. The reasons I don't want a touch system?
     a) I don't want the screen getting all finger printed up and
     b) I want the cleanest "uncluttered" screen as possible.
A touch system would require all of the buttons to be on the screen and thus "cluttering up" the screen.  If I use a TP, I can't put a piece of plexi-glas over the monitor to give it that "ARCADE GAME" look I am striving for.

SPEC 3: I want to control the sound from a front of the arcade box. I do NOT want to reach inside the cabinet or pull it out from the wall to change the volume.

SPEC 4: It will run on tokens.

SPEC 5: Has to sounds as good as I can make it - Sub and speakers. Has to look pretty cool too.

CURRENT DESIGN: I will be using an arcade box, a 2.1 amplified sound system with a front control panel, WINCAB with my personal skin, and a coin door that accepts my tokens.

I hope to take some BEFORE pics and post them after work. As I progress through the project, I will be asking your opinions and testing different configurations. I will also post links to cool items I find.

I hope you enjoy the birth of a box...

Dan

Ronald Reagan is too liberal for me.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
Re: Dan's Arcade box / Juke box
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:08:54 pm »
Sounds like a cool project.  Kneivel used a cool usb volume control for his jukebox, The Metal Station.  You can find it in the project announcements forum.  Hey, if you have any touchscreens that will work with my 19" flat panel, let me know!  I'm not looking forward to spending $250 plus, here in the near future.

NinjaEpisode

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 16, 2019, 06:47:45 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 01:36:55 pm »
How much for those touch systems?  You're in Toledo, like 30 minute drive for me.  I work with a guy I could get to pick one up for me.....that is if you're selling.  ;D

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 01:50:40 pm »
Sorry folks...  We make custom touch systems (42 inches to 180 inches). The CRT touch systems are by Carroll Touch and were an ebay purchase. A friend was using them in an unrelated project. The CRT touch systems are curved to fit a generic CRT - and they are frameless (electronics only).

This is what I sell...

That might be a tad large for most Jukebox applications... And if you are wondering, I am in the Pink shirt.

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:05:28 pm »
That's perfect!  Back to the drawing board. ;D

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 09:37:59 pm »
Number 1:  The box

Step 1 of this Jukebox is the box. (For all of the Python fans out there... Yes, I was thinking "Number 1...  The Larch", as I wrote the title. Well, better late then never. Here are the pics of the start of the box.

Pay no attention to the spy hunter, Pac Man, or the mess that may be in the background.  I am moving things around to make room for the Tempest that is arriving on Sunday...   

(can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!)

So here is the VICTOM, errr... box. It is a beat up data east cabinet. I have no idea what game it used to be. (if you know from the panel, let me know.)

It had one of those bar locks that seems to have been removed with a 2 foot long, 10 pound "key". The control panel has seen better days too. In short... the pics speak for themselves. I would normally try to restore old games. I have a very hard time altering parts on original games.  However, in this case I think I can be forgiven.

The Front: I have my work cut out for me.

The sides: They look Ok, it seems they have been protected over the years (except for a corner nick that can be covered by a corner protector. There is Pac Man and Spy hunter trying to get in on the act.  :)

The Inside: The inside needs to be cleaned out (with bleach) Yuck!

Next post will be of the computer with the wincab skin I have been working on. I thank Chris for Wincab.  I am going to bed now, I am as sick as a dog and feel like crud. So, please ignore all typos and incomplete sentences. I really hate Ohio winters.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2006, 09:19:23 am by cscon115 »

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 08:06:17 pm »
Number 2: The sound system

Ok, Ok I hear ya. I said I was going to show you the computer next but I decided to jump to the good bits first ! ;D

I wanted a sound system that I could control from the front of the Jukebox. This was one of the most important features in my list. So I narrowed it down to two different systems. A 2.1 system by Midland and a 4 speaker system by NEC. Here are both.

FIRST - Midland 2.1 system with remote control panel. It has its advantages. Such as a subwoofer. The panel is flat and would be easy to mount. It is used and a friend of mine said he would sell it to me for $50. It does have some drawbacks. The speakers sound very "tinny". These speakers could be swapped for a standard 4 ohm speaker but the originals are pretty high pitched. Another drawback is the power pack that drives the sub - it is the size of a brick and weighs just as much. The sub has a power switch that looks like the logo and it would have to remain on all the time if it were mounted inside the cab. There is a "3D" sound button that if you press - makes the speakers sound like crud.  Lastly, I would need to punch a hole in the front of box to let the subwoofer's sound out. 

SECOND - NEC computer powered amp. This power amp has some advantages. It will drive four (4 Ohm) speakers and has an unamplified subwoofer out. It has a built in EQ and is powered from the computer's power supply (12 volt line). It turns off when the computer is shut down and when it is powered back up the volume is automatically set to the lowest setting so you don't accidentally blow the speakers to kingdom come on power-up. The Amp was very inexpensive - an eBay find.

As of Feb 10, 2006 - the seller had 35 more.  Please don't harass the poor guy. He has been relisting these over and over and they are getting whittled down each time. The auction is usually listed as, NEC 5.25" Drive Bay Amplifier/Equalizer. They sound pretty good (at least good enough when I tested it with two old 4" speakers. The panel can be mounted to the front, but it is going to be a bit harder - this panel is curved (ugh). I will also need to get a stronger computer power supply to drive the speakers.

I think I am going to go with the NEC amp. I am going to use these inexpensive speakers that I picked up at the General Store.  Editor's Note: If you are not from the midwest you may not know what a general store is. It can best be described as a Wal mart that also sells Purina Hog Chow (--- Really.) I purchased both sets for under $50. So the cost is almost a wash when compared to the used Midlands. I picked a pair of 4" to go in the marquee and a pair of 6.5" for the lower base near the coin door (for da Thump'n BASS).

What do you think... Did I make the correct call with the NEC? Or should I have gone with the Midlands?

Anyone... Anyone... Bueller...

Barry Barcrest

• I'm only in it for the lack of money
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2021, 09:54:17 am
  • Simple Plan
    • E-Touch Jukebox
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 01:49:23 pm »
Just thought i would point out, it's not midland (The people woh make CB radios) But rather Midiland as you can see in your photos.

http://www.midiland.com/support.asp

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2006, 09:22:30 am »
My Gosh! Your right! I have had some kind of mental block and have been reading that as Midland. I had the name stuck in there and that these were made by the same maker as the CB radio folks.

Thank you for pointing that out. I REALLY did read that as Midland! Now that you pointed it out to me I have been able to find other items by Midiland that may be useful. 

Truthfully (I am not being sarcastic)  Thank you for the correction!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:42:53 pm by cscon115 »

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 10:16:26 am »
Quick Questions:

Folks...

Has anyone out there put a Juke in an arcade box?  If so... post some pics - I want some ideas to make the juke cool ------  but not gaudy.

I am currently shoehorning a 20 inch CRT into the cab and I am going to mount a computer into the Juke.  As I have proved on many of occasions... Sawzalls really do saw all.  :D I see a lot of folks out there use car amps to power there speakers. If you do that... How do you control the vol / bass?

Dan

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 09:25:49 pm »
Box Update:

I though I might fill you in on my box modifications. Due to the under-whelming flood of ideas my last post generated... Maybe a picture or two might spur a few of you out there into posting an idea or two.

First: I altered the speaker system. I went with the larger (6.5" blue) speakers but returned the 4" ones. The NEC amp I talked about earlier did not have the UMPHH so I revisited the MIDILAND system. I am going to use it with the 6.5's instead of the remotes that came with the system.

Second: The more I thought about it, the more I decided... GAUDY, I think I will make it GAUDY. I sat back and said to myself, is there a Juke in Westminster Abby? Buckingham palace? The Louvre? How would a Juke look in a place like that? Then I thought, how would a solid cherry juke with dovetail joints look at "Moe's bar and Grill"?

So I decided to wrap some of the panels in Zodiac Naugahyde (as seen at: http://www.garysupholstery.com/ngzodiac.html )... HOT PINK TO BOOT!

The outside of the box was Formica but the inside was damaged "contact paper" (aka shelf paper). So I removed the inside paper and painted it with some left over PAC MAN YELLOW. It looks good next to the hot pink. (ignore the blue masking tape - I have to touch up a small part where the control panel was rubbing.)

Keep in mind the glitter in the naugahyde is REALLY Sparkly! You get a better idea of how it sparkles when you see it head on!
You can also see the original front panel in the background - going to meet an unfortunate end. :'(

Next the Marquee! I found this speaker grill on Ebay for $10! I am going to wrap the marquee in more of the hot pink naugahyde. Install the speakers and the center grill. I will cut a hole behind the grill and back light it with (hopefully) morphing LEDs.

Lastly for this update...  THE COIN DOOR! My arcade runs on .900 tokens and the juke will be no different. But I had a second problem. How do I let the subwoofer's sound out of the box? Then it came to me! DUAL COIN DOORS! But not just any dual doors! The second coin door is a combo subwoofer grill and access panel to the cd/dvd drive. To make this look good I grabbed two solid doors and machined out the grooves in the door (they were meant too look like the marquee grill). Next to strip, powder coat, rebuild, and mount these two doors!

I would like to mention http://www.ksamusements.com/ I have ordered a few times from this place and the owner (Kevin Roy) is EXCELLENT! Great stuff at a great price. If you wonder where I grabbed an extra solid door to cut up... this was the place.

Also, a lot of this work was done by my assistant Carol (age 6). I think her talent for arcade boxes is showing up already! The fact that she can stand up inside the box is also a definate advantage!  ;D

I hope that some of you out there have put jukes inside of arcade boxes and you will post some of your examples. I also will be posting the control panel pretty soon (well... as soon as some more parts arrive and I make the control panel!

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 09:48:51 pm »
UPDATE

Here is what I have done...

1) I have chemically stripped the coin doors and sandblasted them. I then powder coated them with a color called "Black Jack". I installed grill cloth behind the cut door for the sub. I rebuilt the doors, added coin mechs, and installed them on the cabinet. They kinda look like this

2) Next I cleaned up the control panel. I cut the top off and installed a panel of whatever that "pegboard without the holes" stuff is. I rounded the edge with good old bondo. The buttons were off ebay and were $12 per 6. I have new lenses and legends on order for 40 cents for a legend and 55 cents for a lens. The top row will be the numbers from 0 to 9. The right green will be select. The right red will be cancel. The left two buttons will be the population list and the random selection button.  I have not quite decided what job the blue arrows will do yet.  ;)  I will talk more about the panel when my gold glitter vinyl shows up.

3) The marquee is not done yet, I have some parts at the powder coater still. But the speakers are mounted and this baby really REALLY REALLY sounds good. I am stunned that it is as clear as it is.

4) Lastly - here is a somewhat full shot. I have not shown the computer yet and I still need to make a cover for the monitor. I really should put that I-pac on order too. Oh well... I hope you all are starting to see the swan that is emerging from the ugly duckling.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 09:51:31 pm by cscon115 »

cscon115

• Offline Offline
  • Sock it to me!
Re: Dan's Arcade box / Juke box (*DONE* May - 9 - 2006 )
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2006, 10:50:21 am »

Well, it is done!

I have some minor tweaking but for the most part it is DONE. I hope to post my custom wincab skin in the support forum in the next few days but I thought you might like to see the finished result.

First... The marquee: I powder coated the speaker grill I got on ebay. I put a morphing LED behind it. The light behind it slowly goes from red to purple to blue to greenish to yellowish and so on. I made an MP3 of it, but it was really big so I decided not to post it. Just keep in mind, it is really cool! It even looks better in the dark. I had to really light up the place to get clear pictures. Unfortunately it washed out the LED buttons and made lots of reflections.

Second - The Control Panel The control panel is wrapped in the gold version of the glitter vinyl I have been using. I got new lenses and black plates for the buttons. I printed out the text on overhead projector sheets, cut them out, and inserted them into the buttons. I used an extremely 80's style font. The buttons show you the Top pics, Mute, Select, and Cancel. The numbers are obvious. The page left and right are pretty self explanatory too!

TA - DA The Completed project 

:soapbox: Keep in mind, I love to RESTORE old games. Take a peek at the left and the right of the Jukebox! I try my best to salvage any and all useable parts. I have tried to live by the Mame Manifesto [See: http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_manifesto.shtml ]

:soapbox: I only altered this game box due to its poor condition. I had been stripped years ago. It had no side art. It had large holes blown in the front panel. It had the bottom corner made up of BONDO (I hid this behind some corner protectors). There were deep gashes in the side that were also hidden. The feet had been blown up into the bottom of the cabinet that also had some water damage. Lastly most of the joints were loose. The monitor shelf is what is holding the sides together.

:soapbox: So if decide to insert a juke in an arcade box please:
     1) use a basket case or
     2) build fresh with a kit.

Without further ado!

It's a remorseless (Token) eat'n machine!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 10:59:31 am by cscon115 »