Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: wells K4600 problems  (Read 2919 times)

20eyes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2009, 05:41:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
wells K4600 problems
« on: February 07, 2006, 09:06:03 pm »
I just started replacingthe caps on the monitor, and its absolutly amazing what some people do to a circuit board. Huge gobs of solder all over the place so it took me alot longer than it should to do the hor/vert board. And I found added resistors and a capacitors jumping other resistors and a peice of wire jumping 2 other spots. So basically its a mess so its not surprising that it doesn't work.
Which leads me to my question. I bought the cap kit from happ and it came with a 2.5K pot to replace VR201 (blk level). The new one has 2 pins and the old one has 3, is that going to make any difference? the 3rd pin goes to the big capacitor next to it.
Also is there any place i can find some close up pictures of the boards for this monitor?Ive got the manual and ive been going by the board layout pictures but an actual photo might be helpfull.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
Re: wells K4600 problems
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 01:53:05 am »
...I found added resistors and a capacitors jumping other resistors and a peice of wire jumping 2 other spots. So basically its a mess so its not surprising that it doesn't work.

Where did you find these added parts?

20eyes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2009, 05:41:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 06:00:17 am »
On the bottom of the board, under big blobs of solder.

cw

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 07:18:37 pm
  • Game over man game over
    • The Cab
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 08:22:40 am »
if you can would you get a pic of that............

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 12:39:57 am »
If you have a P317 or P318 Video Interface Board then the pot is different than the early models like the P302. The pot shipped with cap kits is made for the earlier boards not the later boards.

If you found resistors, capacitors, and/or jumper wires on the boards not listed in the manuals then LEAVE THEM ALONE. They were put there by the Wells-Gardner factory as part of production changes and were never listed in the manuals or schematics.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 10:53:01 pm »
And you state "doesn't work" but in the world of monitors there are many different levels of "doesn't work."  Does it do absolutely nothing at all?  Do you get neck glow but no picture?  Bad picture?