Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Mame or BYOAC in magazine?  (Read 2873 times)

Yohan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2022, 07:33:57 pm
Mame or BYOAC in magazine?
« on: February 12, 2003, 09:18:39 am »
For an oral comunications class I have decided to give a speech on Mame and arcade controls.  The trouble is that I have to find at least two non-internet sources.  So I'm hoping that someone knows of a magazine or book that mentions Mame or BYOAC.  Please Help  ???  Thanks,

Yohan

rampy

• *shrug*
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2007, 11:32:16 am
  • ...as useless as a JPG is to Helen Keller
    • Build Your Own PVR
Re:Mame or BYOAC in magazine?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2003, 11:21:26 am »
For an oral comunications class I have decided to give a speech on Mame and arcade controls.  The trouble is that I have to find at least two non-internet sources.  So I'm hoping that someone knows of a magazine or book that mentions Mame or BYOAC.  Please Help  ???  Thanks,

Yohan

I believe byoac was listed in an electronics or project electronics magazine once (browse the site faq - it's there somewhere I think...)

I *know* MAME was in wired magazine at least once... so if your library has wired and a periodical reference thingie (I don't remember the last time I was in a library) or you can look it up in on wired.com or wiredmag.com site(s)...

If you google groups search alt.games.mame whenever mame or a mame dev get's press they usually announce/mention it there (same with the mame.net forum)

Off hand don't know of any specifics other than that, sorry =)

rampy

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2003, 11:41:18 am »
Nuts and Volts Magazine has had two articles about MAME.  One was about building a stand alone control panel, the other was about an entire cabinet.

Control Panel article as a PDF

Contents of the Aril 2001 issue
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

OSCAR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 06, 2018, 11:31:53 pm
  • I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem...
    • Oscar Controls
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2003, 06:40:08 pm »
May 2002 issue of CPU Magazine.  Andy Warne gets a mention, too!   (well, www.ultimarc.com does...  :) )

I have a copy of the article here:  www.oscarcontrols.com/tmp/cpu_may2002.jpg

Yohan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2022, 07:33:57 pm
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2003, 07:58:30 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Thank you all sooooooooo much!  While I'm still working out how to word all of the legal rom type stuff, this gives me a ton of sources to use and "ACK!"  write the bibliography for.  

Thanks Again! ;D,
Yohan

Frostillicus

• Arcade Artist
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 18, 2023, 07:36:29 am
    • My MAME cabinet site
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2003, 08:10:49 pm »
May 2002 issue of CPU Magazine.  Andy Warne gets a mention, too!   (well, www.ultimarc.com does...  :) )

I have a copy of the article here:  www.oscarcontrols.com/tmp/cpu_may2002.jpg

First time I saw that article - pretty nice except for the very last 6 words  ;)

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2003, 09:56:39 pm »
Man I hate that bibliography and required sources crap.

There was an english thing where they made us write a 5 page paper with 8 unique cited sources per page, minimum  :'(

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2003, 11:20:20 pm »
Yeah, well I had to write papers before we had this thing called "The Internet".  I had to go to a Library, search thru little drawers of index cards to get a number, search thru the library for that number on a book, and hope when I found the shelf the book was in!  Oh yeah, and the fun of looking up Newspaper articles in the microfiche lab, where you scrolled thru it at two speeds, super slow and blinding fast.....just so you could make a 10 cent copy of the 1 article you needed.....

Sorry, stepping down from soapbox now....I don't mean to rant, but HOW EASY is it now with the Internet, everything is at your fingertips and you can search from your favorite chair at home! (Putting on my old man hat now) Kids have it so easy today..... ;D

Ghoul

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 15, 2004, 08:59:06 am
  • Karate Fish Master
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2003, 02:22:09 am »
Yeah, well I had to write papers before we had this thing called "The Internet".  I had to go to a Library, search thru little drawers of index cards to get a number, search thru the library for that number on a book, and hope when I found the shelf the book was in!  Oh yeah, and the fun of looking up Newspaper articles in the microfiche lab, where you scrolled thru it at two speeds, super slow and blinding fast.....just so you could make a 10 cent copy of the 1 article you needed.....

Sorry, stepping down from soapbox now....I don't mean to rant, but HOW EASY is it now with the Internet, everything is at your fingertips and you can search from your favorite chair at home! (Putting on my old man hat now) Kids have it so easy today..... ;D

Internet sources weren't allowed  :P

Using a computer instead of index cards to search a library is nice though.

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2003, 12:04:24 pm »
Quote from: Ghoul link=board=6;threadid=4939;start=0#32241 date
[/quote

Internet sources weren't allowed  :P

Using a computer instead of index cards to search a library is nice though.

I wasn't referring to Internet sources (we didn't have those either).  I was talking about getting resources from the Internet, such as looking up newspaper articles with Google, or using a search engine to find books, papers, etc. on your subject.  That would have been awesome to have that at my disposal when I was writing papers....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying your task is easy....just pointing out how things have changed.  BTW, at the time we couldn't use Encyclopedias as a resource.  My folks went out and spent a couple hundred dollars on this set that we couldn't use for school!  (Although each article did cite it's resources, so a less than scrupulous person could use the article and then cite it's resources as his....I ONLY DID IT ONCE!)

Sorry to bring this thread so off topic.....good luck with your paper. 8)