Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: State of the Linux arcade?  (Read 5505 times)

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
State of the Linux arcade?
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:20:19 pm »
  I'm looking to rebuild my arcade machine running Windows XP into something that's easier to remotely manage, like Linux.  I'm very proficient in Linux, so I don't want this to turn into a Linux vs. Windows but I would still like to know the general status of running an arcade on a linux machine.

I see someone has built a Linux version of Mamewah - that's pretty sweet.  I'll eventually port my own FE, but I need something in the meantime. 

I know there's xmame and advmame, also very sweet.  But what about NES, N64, Genesis, and SNES emulators? Are they as good as thier Windows counterparts?

There are other considerations too, like the IPAC, GPWiz49 interfaces and Happs trackball that I have.  Are there any issues with those?

I wouldn't mind seeing a general comparison or at least general thoughts on the topic, as long as the post is meaningful.  Please don't be lame.

-Steve.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
Re: State of the Linux arcade?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 12:33:36 pm »
  There are other considerations too, like the IPAC, GPWiz49 interfaces and Happs trackball that I have.  Are there any issues with those?
I think GPWiz49 can only be programmed via windows if oyu wanted to use something like my set49mode (though I'd find a cross platform way of doing that if it was possible).  Otherwise you can switch modes through hardware.

Have you tried using rdp for windows to manage it?  Though I think VNC is less of a resource hog.

screaming

• Sweet! I'mma go make me some popovers!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2019, 03:15:34 pm
  • Registered lUser
    • shift eight (*) generation
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 01:02:11 pm »
I think GPWiz49 can only be programmed via windows if oyu wanted to use something like my set49mode (though I'd find a cross platform way of doing that if it was possible).  Otherwise you can switch modes through hardware.

Having to switch modes via hardware is a roadblock for me, as I prefer beautiful function.  I'm not familiar with your set49mode program though - Did you get an API from RandyT or do you just call his software switcher?

Have you tried using rdp for windows to manage it?  Though I think VNC is less of a resource hog.

I use VNC now, but using ssh is not only less bandwidth intensive, but lets me do some management tasks while I'm at work ;)

-Steve.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:49:28 pm »

Having to switch modes via hardware is a roadblock for me, as I prefer beautiful function.  I'm not familiar with your set49mode program though - Did you get an API from RandyT or do you just call his software switcher?
I use his software, but use data from controls.dat to determine what mode is needed.  TigerHeli has a nice write up on it.
http://www.mameworld.net/tigerheli

Taborious

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 29, 2011, 04:55:45 pm
  • Win or go Home!
    • The Way Back Machine
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 02:26:56 pm »
I am at the beginning stages of playing with advancecd/usb. I build a bootable usb drive that runs OK on my laptop but not on my home pc I think its a hradware compatibility issue. Though, advancemess has support for some of the other emulators that you asked about. I have not looked into any of that myself yet still playing with the basic stuff. I am hoping things run faster on linux than overhead heavy windows but we'll see...
The Way Back Machine - http://www.taborious.com

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 04:53:05 pm »
  I'm looking to rebuild my arcade machine running Windows XP into something that's easier to remotely manage, like Linux.  I'm very proficient in Linux, so I don't want this to turn into a Linux vs. Windows but I would still like to know the general status of running an arcade on a linux machine.
read to see mine and MotorHedJr's progress using recent gentoo systems here:
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=46747.0

I see someone has built a Linux version of Mamewah - that's pretty sweet.  I'll eventually port my own FE, but I need something in the meantime. 
advancemenu is fairly flexible but I'm not picky when it comes to FEs... I'm still trying to get my analog controls to work... more on this below

I know there's xmame and advmame, also very sweet.  But what about NES, N64, Genesis, and SNES emulators? Are they as good as thier Windows counterparts?
here's a good list of emulators for linux:
http://linuxemu.retrofaction.com/links.php?category=NES+%28Nintendo+8-bit%29+%2F+Famicom

It just so happens there are... with gpwiz49 boards.  I'm writing a driver for linux for them.  They aren't correctly dealt with as far as analog ranges are concerned (neither is my ultimarc A-PAC), not to mention the ability to change modes via software is absent in linux as well.  A work in progress... hacking kernel code - wheeee fun!  :P

However my Opti-PAC (connected to 2 Happs trackballs) shows up correctly as 2 mice under linux and w/ advancemame I've successfully played 2 person marble madness (one of my motivations for linux).  I would imagine that any keyboard encoder would work fine out of the box as well, however I don't have one to try.

Rock

Spartan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2009, 07:09:38 pm
  • I like stuff!
    • The Municade
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 09:46:07 pm »

I frequently get on my MAME cocktail from work whether it is to see what the kiddies are up to, or to "fix" it.  (Twin 3 year olds have a way with things....)

Anyhow, I have both RDPed and VNCed into there numerous times.  I find that VNC is a CPU pig, but it allows me to see what the users see -- which is huge.  If I mstsc in, the user goes back to the login screen -- which is no good for them since they have no keyboard.

my $0.02

(Oh, and about 2 years ago I screwed around with Gentoo + Advancemame, but it was too much of a PITA for me.)