Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Applying sideart  (Read 7164 times)

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
Applying sideart
« on: February 11, 2003, 01:52:11 pm »
I just purchased some sideart from eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=13718&item=3207436783&rd=1), and I'm wondering about the application.  I thought there was a post on this subject a while ago, but I couldn't find it....

My cabinet sides are currently spray-painted black, with individual white dots to represent stars and a light overspray of purple to suggest nebulae clouds (to match my marquee and CP overlay).  Because of the cloud overspray, the sides are not perfectly smooth.

Can I just apply the sideart over the paint job, or will I need to seal it with polyurethane or something to keep the sideart from peeling loose?  Should I apply something over the sideart after it's applied?  Or do I need to remove the paint and use laminate instead to get a good sideart application?

--Chris
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

Distortion

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
Re:Applying sideart
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 02:15:11 pm »
I would suggest using some of that aerosol can glue to put them on initally, then putting polyurethane over top of it afterward to prevent it coming loose.  Be careful about the glue, though, because some of it can act as paint thinner and make your paint job look like crap.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 02:23:33 pm »
The description suggests that they're self-stick; is the spray glue to help it hold better, or only if it's not already adhesive?

Thanks for the warning about the possible interaction of the glue and paint.... I'll paint a board with the same paint and test it first to avoid any ugliness....
--Chris

Birdtales

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2020, 10:00:31 am
  • You won't like me when I'm angry.
    • Birdtales
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 02:33:37 pm »
I bought some NOS Sideart from eBay not too long ago. The adhesive on the back was not all that great. Peels around the edges. I did not try a spray adhesive but did try a polyurethane spray after it was installed. Did not help with adhesion but looked pretty good. I also had to heat the sideart with a hair dryer as it was sent to me folded. The hair dryer helped smooth out the crease.

Coming Soon

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 02:40:53 pm »
Man, I love this message board!  Thanks for the hair dryer trick!

Distortion: Do you have a preference for spray glue?  The last stuff I got was Duco Spray Adhesive, and it wasn't much good at all, unless you wanted something removable like a Post-It Note...
--Chris

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2003, 03:12:13 pm »
3M Super 77

3M pretty much invented any nasty chemical type stuff.... Go with the original! ;)
Not cheap but you'll never hear
"it didn't work"
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2003, 03:13:44 pm »
3M Super 77

3M pretty much invented any nasty chemical type stuff.... Go with the original! ;)
Not cheap but you'll never hear
"it didn't work"
After spending $70 on the art it doesn't make sense to cheap out on the glue!  :)

Thanks, Brax!
--Chris

PoDunkMoFo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 07:27:17 pm
  • If we weren't all crazy we would go insane... JB
    • Visual Horizons
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2003, 09:36:41 pm »
Whoa there nelly!  I don't think I would recommend the spray glue.  I own a sign shop and if this guy prited these on self adhesive then spray glue is just gonna gum up your installation (pun intended).  If your surface is fairly smooth (no major irregularities or bumps) and the paint is gloss or semi then no extra adhesive is required nor recommended.

The easiest way to install them is by what I call a center hinge methos.  With a couple of pieces of tape in the corners get the graphic in the place where you want it.  After your satisfied run a piece of masking tape perpindicular to the graphi so that you have about 2 inces of tape stuck to the cab on each end.  Run this tape across the middle of the graphic.  Now pull the graphic off the backing paper up to the tape and cut the backing paper (important do not cut the graphic) as close to the tape as possible.  Squeegy the graphic down from the center out moving up the graphic with overlapping strokes and pretty good pressure.  Now remove the tape across the middle pull the rest of the backing paper off and do the center out thing on the last half.

Works like a charm.

By the way I have a large format inkjet.  Very high quality 1440x1440.  I have been toying with the idea of offering sideart, cpo's, and marquees.  I would use a couple of my own designs and would also offer customer provided artwork option.  What do you guys think the demand for that type of service would be?

vhsigns.com

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2003, 10:46:09 pm »
Hey, he wanted to know a good brand of glue.

I also happen to agree that it probably isn't a good idea though. The original adhesive will probably get all gummy and squirm around. Have you ever added extra glue to a sticker? It makes a huge mess.

I probably should have said something earlier..... I kinda thought about it but I got lazy.... He asked for glue and I offered the info.

One other guy around here does the artwork printing thing (very cheap too)..... not sure how well de does though. As far as the comunity goes though, no one will complain about more options.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 10:47:54 pm by Brax »
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Distortion

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2016, 04:39:20 pm
  • Saints Row 2, Sucka
    • Volition
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2003, 11:39:50 pm »
Yeah, sorry about the spray glue, I didn't realize it already had some adhesive on it.
Game programmers do not play games for a living.  Would you say a mechanic drives cars for a living?

Chris

• Offline Offline
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2003, 09:39:07 am »
I don't know if this guy does the printing, or if he bought a set from someone else for a cabinet he never finished... He hasn't sold any other sets in the last 30 days...

I do appreciate all of the glue comments... if the adhesive on the sideart is in good shape, I'll just use it, but I appreciate knowing a good brand of spray glue in case it comes to that...

--Chris
--Chris