Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: CP Artwork assistance  (Read 6362 times)

Zinfari

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2007, 10:43:59 am
CP Artwork assistance
« on: February 11, 2003, 12:01:17 pm »
Ok, I figured that this was going to be the toughest part for me during my project.... artwork.  Not because I don't know exactly what I want, but because I currently lack the expertise to put what I want into the computer.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed.  I have access to photoshop and illustrator.  I've played around with both and have come to the conclusion that it will take me longer to figure out how to use them then to build the rest of my entire cab.  I know they can do exactly what I want, but even something simlple (or at least I figured it would be simple) like creating an object that I could fill in with various backgrounds has become daunting.  Give me a table saw and a router anyday.

I've drawn my layout using Visio with all the dimensions, but now I want to work on the artwork for the CP and am stuck spinning my wheels.

Any suggestions?

-Zinfari

motorfish

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 03:35:08 am
Re:CP Artwork assistance
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2003, 12:11:09 pm »
Do you have a rough example of how you want the control panel laid out? I usually design the artwork around the controls, what type of games you like to play (ie, fighting games, sports games, shooters, classic games, etc.)

Gimme a rough example and I'll see what I can come up with.

Dan
Have you paid your dues Jack?......Yessir, the check is in the mail!

SNAAAKE

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2004, 03:44:18 am
  • Banned for abusive postings.
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2003, 01:01:17 pm »
well dude..i made like 3 more arts(capcom style :D) so if you want i can send you those..i did them for someone else but if you wanna use. ::).if you wanna make your own..i suggest you play around with paintshop pro..its not that hard..atleast you can begin working on something ;)...

Just a suggestion :)..

neuromancer

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 10, 2006, 04:26:57 pm
  • Can I Play?
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2003, 02:28:08 pm »
Anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed.  I have access to photoshop and illustrator.  I've played around with both and have come to the conclusion that it will take me longer to figure out how to use them then to build the rest of my entire cab.
-Zinfari

I use PS and Illustrator at work, almost daily. After 3 years or so I sort of have the hang of things. A Wacom graphics tablet is an almost necessary accessory for any serious graphics work.

I really don't think any other sofware is going to be any easier for you. Other alternatives come down to painting by hand, stickers, and no artwork at all.

If you have specific questions, you might try comp.software.photoshop (or something like that. It's been a while since I've gone there). Or if there's just a couple questions, you can ask here, 'cause at least a few of "us" use PS.

If you want a graphic style artwork, like most of the panels from the 80s, then Illustrator will be best. If you want photographic style artwork, you need Photoshop to do that part, but then you can place the images into the layout in Illustrator.

Bob

Zinfari

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 15, 2007, 10:43:59 am
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2003, 02:29:20 pm »
Thanks for the offer motorfish.  It is much appreciated.  I'll send you an email with some pics and see if you can point me in the right direction.

Same goes to you Snaaake.  I appreciate the offer and I may give you a shout when it comes time for the side art.  I have some ideas of how I want the CP to look and while I really like the CP's you have done, it's not the direction I was looking to go.

Neuromancer thanks as well.  I'll check out the news groups.  I've already looked at a few faqs/tutorials, but I'm afraid that the questions I need to ask will probably be followed with an enormous amount of flaming and comments like... take a class, buy a book, get a clue.  :-)   I'll keep working on it and I'm sure folks out there are willing to help... just like here!

Thanks again,
-Zinfari
« Last Edit: February 11, 2003, 02:45:40 pm by Zinfari »