Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 'Cosmic Guerilla' UR restoration....  (Read 8923 times)

spriggy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2024, 09:45:27 pm
'Cosmic Guerilla' UR restoration....
« on: January 26, 2006, 05:58:39 am »
Finally after almost 2 years, I've tracked down the last of my parts I need to commence the restoration of my 1979 'Cosmic Guerilla' upright.   Phew!!  However that means, the 'Track & Field' Cocktail replica is on hold AGAIN! ::)  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=24005.msg195812#msg195812     Have to prioritise!!

This CG is not in the best of shape.  The linear p/s and chassis are completely toast.  From what I can tell, she's received 3 different colored coats of paint over the last 25 years... including the horrid brown hammertone you see in the pics.  I've restored the CP.   Other than the faded buttons and player tags, it came out really nice.  I've started on the marquee.  Just a bit more surface grit to remove and she'll be an 8/10.   I carefully test safe-stripped her back in '04 and found nice original side art underneath.  The white's a bit yellow now, but hell....25 years man!!!

She was missing the original glass bezel, vertical artwork bezel and original coin door  (came with a Moon Alien PtII bezel?).  However, Derek Litton was humble enough to part out an old one he had that i've been chasing since '04 (he recently aquired a minty 'Guerilla'.  Google search him to check out his nice collection.. especially his sit-down Missile Command!!)  Hence, I scored excellent CP buttons, coin door and both bezels...   I'm not waiting another 2 years for internals, so I'll see if I can run the original board via jamma standard or I'll Mame her very gently and keep her asthetically original..

The game is now on..
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 12:19:59 pm by spriggy »
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
Re: 'Cosmic Guerilla' UR restoration...finally.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:03:16 am »
Looks like it's coming along nicely. I love the look of the Universal games, and CG is a neat twist on Space Invaders and real fun to play.

I missed a mint cabinet by $2 on ebay about a year ago. It sold for $105! I ended up buying a different cabinet from the same seller, and got to inspect the CG when I went to get it. The CG was so fresh it would bring tears to your eyes. I wish I had bid a bit higher :'(

Hurray Banana

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2016, 02:11:08 pm
  • My unique teaching style
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 01:00:34 pm »
Good Luck.

I used to love Cosmic Guerilla, the slow bassy Stuttering thump sound as you waited for one of the aliens to make a run for your bases made it real tense.

Cheers Eric

TZ Pinball, PowerDrift upright, 4 vertical Mame cab and 8 way 2 player Mame cab

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2024, 12:42:45 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 05:04:23 pm »
Though I don't like those games (derivative shooters) I LOVE those Universal cabinets. CG and also Magical Spot are just beautiful. (Psychedelic!)
NO MORE!!

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 04:35:54 am »
Though I don't like those games (derivative shooters) I LOVE those Universal cabinets. CG and also Magical Spot are just beautiful. (Psychedelic!)

Yep RayB.. some amazing artwork on the old Universals.  To be honest, I wasn't aware of the 'Guerilla' cab until I found it.  Did some quick research before I snatched her up.  As your probably aware by now  ( all us sulking aussies ::)), old US cabs are rare as rocking horse shite here in OZ, so I couldn't let it go, regardless of condition....  I've grown to like the game however.  God Bless!!! :)
"Once a Knight, always a Knight.   Twice a night.. and your doing alright!!" ::)

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:20 pm »
You are going to want to find a lower marquee glass for it. It has the "Guerillas" carrying semi-nude girls off on their shoulders. The little girls carried away in the game are not near as hot as the ones on the marquee. ;D

nostrebor

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 04:58:31 pm »
pic... these guys were just after the wimmuns :-*

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 06:26:22 pm »
pic... these guys were just after the wimmuns :-*

Yep, that's the machine he's parting out for me.

Harpal

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2006, 12:02:22 pm
  • I'VE STARTED BUILDING MY FIRST MINI ARCADE!!!
    • 3D-ARCADE at MAMEWORLD
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 07:29:07 pm »
great news ;)
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
---------2006-----------

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2006, 02:55:17 am »
Haven't been around here in a while.  Busy building and finishing the house.  Just about to start building the metal patio...
Anyway....Almost 14 weeks in transit..... and my CG parts finally arrived today...phew!
Derek packaged them very very well...however the upper bezel did not survive the trip unscathed... damn it!!!!! :banghead:
Looks like something blunt speared the package, cracking the bezel.  Looks like it can still be used and possibly not noticeable if not backlit..  #cry#
Regardless, the other stuff is great.  The main glass is almost NOS condition..not bad for 1979!
He gave me the whole control panel for parts.  It was converted to a Gyruss..hence.. I now have a Gyruss joystick.  Cool..
My arcade stuff is still dormant as the house is still priority..... but soon young jedi..soon!

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2006, 10:29:04 am »
Thats a damn shame that got cracked!  :hissy:
The Universal cabs with that center bezel are some of the coolest ever to me. A lit up Cosmic Avenger is amazing to see and Cosmic Alien has the most bad-ass side art ever!

Good luck with this awesome project. I didn't remember Cosmic Guerilla, and just fired it up. Fun take on the Space Invaders theme!

jcroach

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2012, 09:36:56 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2006, 10:41:51 am »
I've really learned to love those Universal cabinets.  I don't remember them when they were new.  I love the psychedelic artwork. 

That marquee is in pristine condition (Other than the crack of course.).  Any way you could post some detailed pictures or scans that could be vectorized or turned into a bezel artwork file for Mame?

Any way you could take some measurements of the cabinet for use in creating plans?

spriggy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2006, 01:28:58 am »
TOK:  Could not agree more.. not the greatest games created by any means, but GREAT cabinets with simple game mechanics..  u know those games you just quickly play before dinner :)

jcroach: I don't really want to go down the vectoring path (unless I have too).  My recent vector jobs..ie DK3 cpo, Mad Planets Bezel.. were lost when my storage HD crashed..so I'm turned off a bit lately.. Besides, I have all the arcade stuff on hold AGAIN to prioritise the house completion.  I promised family and friends that we'd have New Years at our place this year..hence the outside patio and outside bbq/bar/entertaining set-up HAS to be complete  :-\  so...constructing plans won't be happening any time soon.. sorry.

On a quick note... I broke my promise to self to not touch the CG until the aforementioned..however I couldn't help myself today.  Whilst watching some 'Mythbusters', before heading off to work.. I stripped the already semi-restored CP and replaced the buttons, player labels and polished the whole thing (incl parts).  Now completely restored ..just have to rebuild/replace the leaf switches.

Do not touch spriggy..do not touch  :banghead:

« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 01:36:36 am by spriggy »

Tighe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2023, 10:19:57 pm
Re: 'Cosmic Guerilla' UR restoration....
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:10:07 am »
I just wanted to bump this awesome thread!

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2024, 11:03:32 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:55:44 am »
Tighe, is that you, bro?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Tighe

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2023, 10:19:57 pm
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2014, 11:09:52 am »
Yes.  :cheers:

aristanton

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2021, 07:26:25 am
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2021, 07:26:26 am »
Hello,I am currently restoring a Cosmic Guerilla in very bad shape could you please email me a good quality flat photo or scan of the inner marquee for me to vectorise? I can send back file for you to remake your broken one. I am of course referring to the piece of glass that has aliens abducting women.

Thanks, Aristotle
petaristot@yahoo.com