Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Monitor is blowing fuses  (Read 2870 times)

20eyes

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2009, 05:41:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Monitor is blowing fuses
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:36:52 am »
I have a monitor that I beleive is a Wells Gardner K4600. The Problem is ,as I was told, is its blowing fuses. Not sure where to start to find the problem.
It probobly needs a cap kit as well...
Any help would be appreciated.

Ken Layton

• Guru
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:25:59 am
  • Technician
Re: Monitor is blowing fuses
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 10:57:35 am »
Yup, that is a 4600 series alright. First thing is to download the manual at either mikesarcade.com or arcadehelp.com or bombjack.org

On one of those sites is theRandy Fromm troubleshooting flowcharts for this monitor also.

grantspain

• I personally prefer "bog trotter"
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 06:45:08 am
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:12:54 pm »
Blimey i think that monitor is as old as me,one thing to check on old kit blowing fuses is the degauss circuit.First disconnect degauss coil then remove ptc componant then try firing up with correct fuse values-what fuses are blowing?If your fuse is blowing straight away its gonna be something on the ac side possibly degauss\diode\bridge rec.

20eyes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 04:16:19 pm »
Are there fuses on the boards on the monitor? Cause the only fuses I found were by the (what I beleive if the isolation transformer and they looked fine. It makes a humming noise but there is no picture. 

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2006, 04:22:00 pm »
Yep always a fuse on the monitor chassis,please check if you have an orange glow from the bottom of the tube,trouble with things this old is dry joints/dryed out caps-if you got the glow its a good sign.

20eyes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006, 06:50:03 pm »
I dont see any orange glow coming from anywhere on the monitor... and the humming is the marquee light. lol
The game itself plays blind, so I know the machine is getting power.
Also, I cant seem to locate a fuse on the monitor anywhere....
Please excuse my ignorance through this, its my first monitor repair.

Oh, its a Tempest machine thats been converted to Lee Trvinos Fighting Golf. Its a pretty nasty looking conversion... I bought it mainly to tinker with and see if I can't learn anything in the process.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 07:00:43 pm by 20eyes »

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 08:28:16 pm »
The fuse is a pigtail fuse, covered with a plastic tubing.

grantspain

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006, 05:44:48 am »
If this is your first monitor repair please be very careful,there are lots of high voltages all over the chassis not only could you hurt yourself you could also damage the monitor more than it already is.I will give you a few tips.
check the input voltage to the monitor using a voltmeter(should be 120v ac on your chassis) if that is present then you have proved that your cabinet wiring is present and correct.
with the machine switched off unscrew the chassis from the frame and check for dry joints on the solder side using good light giving special attention to to mains in plug and the lopti
always have a schematic for your chassis so you can trace and identify componants and values.
even for experienced engineers many monitor faults are very difficult to identify
in your case you have no sound coming from the monitor not even a ticking which probably points to a problem on the ac side of the power supply so you could be looking at a blown fuse,mains smoothing cap,dry joints.
all monitors schematics will show test points for voltages,these are very handy proving which parts of your chassis are operating correctly.
most monitors have similar faults the most common are dry joints,dry caps,h.o.t short usually with feed caps blown,broken tracks,on older chassis lopti can be an issue.
my advise is if your not sure dont touch but everyone has learn somewhere,its how i started.if your monitor is not valueable to you then follow my tips,learn how to read schematics,learn how to use your meter,learn what not to touch,be careful and take great pleasure when you repair your first fault.please be careful and good luck.

20eyes

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2006, 08:23:19 pm »
I get about 125 volts going to the monitor.
So I guess the next step is the one that i've been afraid to do,work on the monitor. I'll get a cap kit first though.
I'll post some more info once I get a little further on this. I'm just doing this in my spare time....