Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Newbie box making question  (Read 4487 times)

mtsystem

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2006, 08:35:49 am
Newbie box making question
« on: February 09, 2006, 11:34:15 am »
Hi

I'm drawing up some plans to construct one of the ubiquitous "slanting surface type control panel" boxes. I can use powertools fine (drilling, cutting, etc), but my woodworking skills absolutely suck. What I'm wondering is... (and I can only really explain with the aid of a diagram) :-

You have 4 sides to your box. A lower front panel, a taller back panel, and 2 identical sloping side panels.
Then theres the nice funky shaped control surface. But for the control surface to sit perfectly on the 4 sided frame, do you not have to sorta angle the tops of the front and back panels slightly? (highlighted by the red ovals in the diagram). How do you do that? Or do most people just let the surface panel rest on the sloping side panels, and leave the tops of the front/back panels straight, so the surface panel doesn't rest on them properly (Like in the diagram).

One last Q. How do you actually attach the surface panel to the frame? At first I figured it could hinge at the back so you can open it up for easy access to the wiring. But again, I'm not really sure how you would do that.

Basically, I'm just looking to put together a decent looking box as simply as possible. The electronics are sorted, that aint a problem :)

Thanks guys.

PS Oh yeah, another Q. Wheres the best place to discretely put screws? So it looks neat and such.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 11:38:36 am by mtsystem »

mccoy178

• It's hard to work with a straight jacket on
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 03, 2021, 10:23:42 am
  • Go Bucks!
Re: Newbie box making question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 11:39:51 am »
Unless you are going to have your controls about halfway up your control panel, you may want to reconsider the box it sits on.  There are about a million threads about box construction btw.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 11:41:09 am »
do you not have to sorta angle the tops of the front and back panels slightly? (highlighted by the red ovals in the diagram). How do you do that?

It's not too difficult... You set your circular saw or your jigsaw over to the angle you need when you cut the top edge.

The baseplate of your saw should have an adjustment to set it over at an angle.

Best Regards
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Hoopz

• Don't brand me a troublemaker!
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 09, 2024, 02:36:26 pm
  • Intellivision Rocks!
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 11:50:15 am »
You can use a long hinge (piano hinge) on the back of the control panel to attach it to the back piece of the box.  I have found that to to be the easiest solution.  Go to your hardware store and look at the piano hinges.  It will make sense when you see them.

You can bevel the edge to try and have the control panel sit flush.  If it doesnt sit flush, structually it doesn't make a difference.  It is still supported.  Try it out and see what you think.

And you dont have to use screws to attach the pieces of your box from the sides.  I put supports inside the box and screwed the sides, front and back on from the bottom.  That way it has support but no screw holes are visible.

Good luck.   :)

ssc arcade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2008, 02:10:58 pm
  • There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 12:03:57 pm »
last post has the right idea, use about 2" metal angle brackets on the box inside with a 3/4" screw, be careful that your screws don't go through.

I have a hard time with piano hinges to get them to lined up and rotate OK.

I used 2 fairly heavy hinges and mounted them on the front, to the front vertical piece and the bottom of the CP top. make sure they are heavy enough, don't use the tiny 1/2" hinges.  MDF is heavy.
So rotates on the front board, lifting by the monitor.

Max sure you make the box the biggest you can and have the outside come close the edge of the CP top, as stated above it make it easier to located trackball etc. lower on the CP
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 12:06:32 pm by ssc arcade »

eschmunk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 03, 2017, 05:03:33 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 12:54:39 pm »
I put the screws through it on the outside.  I plan on laminating my cabinet so it has a nice woodgrain look to it.  For the cabinet itself I did use the braces on the inside so that there are no screws coming from the outside.  I mainly did this so I can still take it apart if I must.  There will be no need to strip the laminate off to take it apart now.