Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: When's the best time to install the t-molding  (Read 4209 times)

botez

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2023, 11:53:06 pm
When's the best time to install the t-molding
« on: April 18, 2002, 04:28:56 pm »
I am wondering what the consensus is on when is the best time to install t-molding on a cab.  Would you want to route and install it before you actually put the cab together, or are there certain reasons to wait until after you have assembled the cabinet.  Thanks.

Troy Olson
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

MYX

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2020, 05:00:22 pm
  • Even Jesus loves Donkey Kong!
    • MYX Digital Blog
Re: When's the best time to install the t-molding
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 04:45:37 pm »
I have only built a console so I can not speak for the full monty, but, I put the T-molding on last. I wanted all things in place so if you need to tuck something into the routed groov to tighten something up you could use the t-molding as a "tool" of sorts. I used shelf paper on the top of the console and the t-molding helped strech it out. The other feeling is that if you are going for a clean finish, to put in on last so it won't get scratched during construction. Just my thoughts. good luck.
M    Y    X

BLACKOUT  - Finally rewritten - http://blog.myxdigital.com/
Original BLACKOUT thread - http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=48239.0

ddebuss

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 20, 2015, 07:48:10 am
  • Stuck in the 80's
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2002, 05:48:57 pm »
I have to agree.  I ended up messing up a section on mine because I put it on too soon.  Fortunately I had a lot extra since I got lot at a great price from Happs last month so I replaced the damaged piece.

It's hard to wait because add the t-molding makes it look a LOT closer to finished even though it only takes a couple minutes to put on.  There's a disproportionate sense of accomplishment after putting in on based on the amount of time it took to install...

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2002, 05:55:09 pm »
I think you want to separate the 2 main steps.  That is route the slot when the cab is disassembled and you can easily access the parts where the slot is being cut.

Then install the actual T molding after the cabinet is completed.   I would save the actual installation as one of the last steps. (after painting or laminating)

Just my personal opinion.

Bob