Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: BILLABS 1024x768 monitor  (Read 28723 times)

Barkuti

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2006, 03:50:12 pm
Re: BILLABS 1024x768 monitor
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 06:56:33 pm »
Hi guys, what's up?

Still some questions left, heh?

MikeQ, no bezel for me. I made the plans for a wooden frame, in a similar fashion to yesterday's TVs. My carpenter didn't gave much priority to the job so I'm still without it, now that I'm enjoying additional spare time I'll have to change that. Also it took a bit for me to do the design, because at first I couldn't decide against a fully turntable enclosure, but I finally rejected the idea because it was going to be freakingly huge.

And now for the main question, summarized in:

DYNAGOD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 07:01:55 am
  • sprites taste better than polygons
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 01:23:00 pm »
Rich,

The BL27CB0P is a flat-screened monitor that is capable of 1024x768, 48kHz and the price is $549 + the cost of shipping.  I currently do no have a specs sheet available, but we are working on getting one up on our site.  As soon as I receive it, I'll send it to you.  This monitor can be safely rotated to the horizontal position and its's alright to mount this monitor in either a horizontal or a vertical position.

Thanks,

Kristin
--------------------------------------------------------
BILLABS Manufacturing
Manufacturer of Amusement Products and Gaming Devices
Industrial monitors, power supplies, commercial speakers
--------------------------------------------------------

im ordering one in a couple weeks..
time for a new project ! MUHAHAHAH!!
Enjoying the fruits of technological obsolescence one game at a time...

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 29, 2013, 06:51:45 pm
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 04:50:51 pm »
I'm waiting for that specs sheet too.  I believe the one we want is one of the ones on this page:

http://www.weiya.com.tw/products_detail.asp?le=english&fid=95&pid=104&top_fid=86

model would be either M2929-82 or M2929D-72, not sure though

Rock

DYNAGOD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2012, 07:01:55 am
  • sprites taste better than polygons
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 05:24:31 pm »
M2929D-72 looked closest, its marked as "dyna" as in "dyna-flat" i assume.
I REAALY Wish they had a 21-24" model.
after my last candy cab its my personal opinion that 29" is a bit overkill for most titles. but i suppose the sacrifice of playing titles like gun roar at full windows desktop res is going to have to cushion my disappointment :P

Enjoying the fruits of technological obsolescence one game at a time...

MikeQ

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2006, 09:49:51 pm »
Talked to Kristin today.  Monitor should ship Monday.  I'll post some pics and impressions when I get it.

mairsil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2017, 11:48:20 pm
    • PouncingKitten Games
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2006, 11:22:29 pm »
Talked to Kristin today.  Monitor should ship Monday.  I'll post some pics and impressions when I get it.

I assume that this would apply to everyone who has an order placed? I am itching to play my gun games on it.
PouncingKitten Games
Xbox 360 - Glide, Bingo Party, Poker Night
Flash - BunnyRun

MikeQ

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2006, 12:07:31 am »

I assume that this would apply to everyone who has an order placed? I am itching to play my gun games on it.

Don't know.  I paid for mine a long time ago.  It may depend on when you paid them.  For a while I was just "on the list".  Kristin recommended I pay for it so that I got one of the first that came in.

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 09, 2006, 01:27:50 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2006, 03:25:37 pm »
Hello, just wanted to let you guys know that the BL27CB0P monitors are going to be here tomorrow.  We had a little difficulty getting them released into our custody.  But as soon as I get word that they're set, I will ship the pre-paid monitors out.  If anybody else is looking for this monitor or any of our other monitors, please email us at sales@billabs.com.  Make sure to include the model you're looking for, your ZIP code and whether it's a business or residence, I need to know this because the freight company charges $43.40 to ship to a residence.

Thanks,

Kristin

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2006, 01:09:53 pm »
Monitors are in today, finally, and I'm hoping to have all of the pre-paid ones shipped by this Friday.  I'm going to find out once they've all been unloaded as to when I can start shipping.  I know everyone has been waiting for them for a long time and I want to thank y'all for being patient w/us.  When I get the green light, I will post that I'm shipping and then I'll email y'all individually on when and what to expect.

Kristin

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2006, 05:00:09 pm »
I'm going to ship the pre-paid monitors tomorrow.

Thanks!

coasternuts

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 11, 2010, 08:39:24 pm
  • Ouuuuch....I am not the worst game ever!!
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:44 pm »
Could somebody update the list on the details of this monitor?

In particular the bilLABS website does not yet specify the details of the BL27CBOP.  Is this an expiramental monitor? 

What kind of warranty?  Is 1024x768 supported natively?  Or via switch and dial voodoo?  ::)
What are the dimensions?  What inputs are available(eg.VGA supported)?

I would feel more comfortable if it was listed as part of the product lineup with full specs.

JMHO

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2006, 04:44:57 pm »
Could somebody update the list on the details of this monitor?

In particular the bilLABS website does not yet specify the details of the BL27CBOP.  Is this an expiramental monitor? 

What kind of warranty?  Is 1024x768 supported natively?  Or via switch and dial voodoo?  ::)
What are the dimensions?  What inputs are available(eg.VGA supported)?

I would feel more comfortable if it was listed as part of the product lineup with full specs.

JMHO

The BL27CB0P is a digital OSD mode and has auto-sync frequencies.  The dimensions I have are as follows: 15.94x24.61x19.49 (inches), I had to convert from mm. and it weighs 86lbs.  It supports from CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA/XGA.  I've requested that someone post the manual for the BL27CB0P online for you guys.

Anything other questions?

rackoon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 28, 2023, 02:29:36 pm
  • I EAT PENCILS!
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2006, 08:04:27 pm »
Yea I got one!

Does this product only ship or can one pick it up from a distributor.

I live about 2 hours from Sacramento and about 3 hours from San Francisco.

If shipping only zip 95223
They treated me like an animal and that's what I became.

johnvv

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2012, 08:36:20 pm
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2006, 08:18:13 pm »
rackoon:

I spoke to Kristin today about shipping the monitor to California - I live near Sacramento.  Though they mention Mountain Coin on their website as Western distributor, Kristin indicated that all orders for the new model would be sent from Billabs in Atlanta.  So, we pay more to ship to the West Coast.

My quote for residential delivery was ~$170.  To a business, it is ~$130.  The monitor price is $549.

Yes, those are expensive freight shipping costs.  At this point, I'm most interested in hearing how the monitor performs and compares against the WG and Betson.   

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 01:19:02 pm
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2006, 12:42:51 pm »
Could anyone confirm how this monitor is picture quality wise to display 15 Khz games? Are the scan lines very visible since this tube has a kinda low dot pitch? Lets hope for Gods sake these moniotrs don

MikeQ

« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2006, 02:01:17 pm »
I received my monitor on Friday.  I've only run it at 800x600 and 1024x768.  First impressions are that it looks great in most games.  It looks good at the desktop but has on minor issue that I find a little annoying.  When displaying text or other small graphics at these resolutions, the text/graphics in the center of the screen looks sharp and well focused.  However, at the edges it becomes blurry.

I haven't run any 15khz modes.

The monitor came very well packaged and looks very rugged.  It is a perfectly flat display so making a bezel for it is easy.

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2006, 02:43:21 pm »
Your issue with unsharp edges sounds familiar like with my 3129D 15-31 Khz monitor. I have heard this is not uncommon with larger monitors. Probably it is not a NANAO killer, but I believe and hope it is among the best 29" monitor on the market. It also seems that Billabs/ Wei Ya is the only manufacturers of monitors with flat screens as well. I really prefer flatscreen over curved CRTs many times!

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2006, 03:54:32 pm »
I received my monitor on Friday.  I've only run it at 800x600 and 1024x768.  First impressions are that it looks great in most games.  It looks good at the desktop but has on minor issue that I find a little annoying.  When displaying text or other small graphics at these resolutions, the text/graphics in the center of the screen looks sharp and well focused.  However, at the edges it becomes blurry.

The monitor came very well packaged and looks very rugged.  It is a perfectly flat display so making a bezel for it is easy.

wow, this is exciting!  I encourage you to try more modes (using advancemame would be uber-cool) and report back!

As far as the edge blurriness, the way I see it, if we want the 'authentic' fat scan lines of 15kHz arcade monitors - that means a 'fatter' dot pitch, right?  The dot pitch is something fixed by the tube that's in the monitor, and not a function of the chosen resolution I believe.  So if these things are true, I am deducing that at higher and higher resolutions, we're using a dot pitch which is less and less ideal for those resolutions - so I guess I'm trying to say I'm not surprised.  Maybe some monitor gurus can fill me in.  Good info though.  Is it really annoying?  Have you played PC games at full SVGA/XVGA resolution and they suck because of this - or is it just something minor that you noticed while making an excel spreadsheet, monitor test suite, etc.?  For instance, is the clock in the corner of the windows desktop UNREADABLE or just a bit fuzzy?

Your issue with unsharp edges sounds familiar like with my 3129D 15-31 Khz monitor. I have heard this is not uncommon with larger monitors. Probably it is not a NANAO killer, but I believe and hope it is among the best 29" monitor on the market. It also seems that Billabs/ Wei Ya is the only manufacturers of monitors with flat screens as well. I really prefer flatscreen over curved CRTs many times!

I have one question about your preference for flat screen... wouldn't you expect that the retro, curved tube would be more authentic for arcade games, or do you not notice this?

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2006, 04:48:12 pm »

wow, this is exciting!  I encourage you to try more modes (using advancemame would be uber-cool) and report back!

As far as the edge blurriness, the way I see it, if we want the 'authentic' fat scan lines of 15kHz arcade monitors - that means a 'fatter' dot pitch, right?  The dot pitch is something fixed by the tube that's in the monitor, and not a function of the chosen resolution I believe.  So if these things are true, I am deducing that at higher and higher resolutions, we're using a dot pitch which is less and less ideal for those resolutions - so I guess I'm trying to say I'm not surprised.  Maybe some monitor gurus can fill me in.  Good info though.  Is it really annoying?  Have you played PC games at full SVGA/XVGA resolution and they suck because of this - or is it just something minor that you noticed while making an excel spreadsheet, monitor test suite, etc.?  For instance, is the clock in the corner of the windows desktop UNREADABLE or just a bit fuzzy?

I have one question about your preference for flat screen... wouldn't you expect that the retro, curved tube would be more authentic for arcade games, or do you not notice this?

Well, I think overall that the flat Samsung tube give a crisp nice image. I think it is just a matter to get used to the flat to have something to compare to. Personally I think the flat tube give a more natural picture after all.

rally9x

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2008, 03:35:55 pm
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2006, 05:10:35 pm »
I thought it was an LG or Phillips tube?

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2006, 05:47:48 pm »
Sorry to be confusing. I am refering to my Wei Ya 29" monitor with a dynaflat Samsung tube with 0.7 dot-pitch when I gave my opinions regarding the feeling of a flat tube vs curved tube. The Billabs 1024*768 monitor has tube with brand LG-Philips, which has a 0.6 dot-pitch

MikeQ

« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2006, 06:52:09 pm »

The blur is only noticable with really small fonts.  If you are looking at graphics it looks awesome.  I played Star Wars Starfighter on it last night and it is really awesome.  It looks like a PC monitor quality picture but HUGE!!!  The only complaint is windows desktop stuff.  Even then, if you have IE or the app you are using in a window and keep it near the middle of the screen it looks awesome.

MikeQ

« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2006, 06:54:45 pm »

Well, I think overall that the flat Samsung tube give a crisp nice image. I think it is just a matter to get used to the flat to have something to compare to. Personally I think the flat tube give a more natural picture after all.

The flat tube is nice.  It makes the arcade cabinet look more sleek and futuristic.  I didn't go with an Arcade monitor to get scanlines.  I went with it to get the 29" foot print.  If I wanted scanlines, I would have used my 20 year old tv. :)

MikeQ

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2006, 09:49:04 pm »
Here are some images: (These are big images.  Compressing or resizing distorted the actual quality).

The moire patterns aren't visible on the monitor.  Save the pictures and view them at full res.

rockmes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2016, 09:41:38 am
  • Don't you love it?
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2006, 10:30:55 pm »
Hi guys , got one question-

l have the Wei-ya C2938 series 15k~38k with a 29" dynaflat Samsung tube.  Has anyone heard of this chassis, cos l cant find it on there web site.
l bought it in Melbourne ,Australia , off a company called Zax.
It sounds similar to the Billabs one you guys are taking about.
here is a pic of it

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2006, 05:11:40 am »
rockmes: It appears you have got a chassis designed for a 38" tube. I don't know what this really means except it could supply your tube with higher volate than it is supposed to be. As long as you are satisfied with the picture quality I don't see any issue. Or are you about to install this chassis to your tube? If you have not I would advice you to replace your current chassis with the C2929 model.

If any other of you guys could try some 15 khz game with your 1024x768 monitor it would be great. I am curious about the picture quality with this resolution. If you could do a dot cross hatch test it would be great as well so we could see how well the linearity is.

Major Rock Hardy

• Offline Offline
  • xybots rocks!
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2006, 05:35:31 pm »
wow thanks MikeQ for the pics of the hi-res billabs monitor!

If any other of you guys could try some 15 khz game with your 1024x768 monitor it would be great. I am curious about the picture quality with this resolution. If you could do a dot cross hatch test it would be great as well so we could see how well the linearity is.

I second this notion - 15kHz pics would be great!  Perhaps one of each: CGA,EGA,VGA...

Thanks again,
Rock

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2006, 12:12:09 pm »
Yea I got one!

Does this product only ship or can one pick it up from a distributor.

I live about 2 hours from Sacramento and about 3 hours from San Francisco.

If shipping only zip 95223

Sorry about that, I haven't had the chance to check out the forum in a while.  We don't have any distributors in Cali, but you're welcome to order from us.  It is possible to pick up from us in Norcross, GA about 20 miles NE of ATL, that's good news for any locals.  I checked out shipping to 95223 w/the freight company we use.  Business-to-business delivery is $128.65, business-to-residence delivery is $172.05.  Watkins Motor Lines charges an additional $43.40 to deliver to a residence.

If you order from us, I would definitely use the business-to-business delivery to save some bucks.  If anybody has any other questions, please let me know.  I try to check the forum everyday, but feel free to email me at sales@billabs.com.

tbtalbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2006, 09:33:19 am
« Reply #68 on: February 25, 2006, 11:45:26 pm »
I have my Billabs monitor (the P model) up and installed in my cabinet using an ArcadeVGA card. I must say that I am most impressed.  It handles a wide range of frequencies well.  At the high res end (1024x768) fine text can be a tad fuzzy but it is very usable.  The lower resolutions look super with rich vibrant colors and very sharp images.

There are some minor faults:  First,  Mine has a minor geometry problem as there is a bit of drooping in the upper right corner of the screen. Also there is some misconvergence in that same area though it isnt enough to be an issue.   Another thing that Barkuti mentioned is that this thing makes rather loud clicking sounds when changing resolutions.  Be aware of this as I initially thought my unit was buring out or something the first few times it did this.

Finally, I must say that setting low res modes is great for raster games but having 1027x768 for vector games is incredible.  With only a few exceptions, vector games run on this monitor appear almost identical to how they look on a real vector monitor.  This is a real plus of having such a wide frequency range. 

I have the Happs control's flat screen bezel.  Be careful, that thing is very fragile and rips easily. Also, you will pay more for shipping than for the item itself.  It does fit well though

All in all, I am impressed.  I think it is worth the extra money to have such beautiful vector graphics.  If you dont care about the vectors, raster games dont benefit from the high resolution so some of you may elect to save $100 or more. (Billabs shipping is really high $150 to Kansas).

mt2449

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 26, 2006, 12:40:30 pm
« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2006, 11:49:14 am »
I am a newbie, and I have a question about this monitor.
The manual shows two inputs on the back. one is a 15 pin connection thats labled 31-50khz, the other one is labled ttl 15khz/24khz. Do you need to hook into this ttl connection to get the 15khz or can you use the normal 15 pin monitor connection to get all the resolutions of the monitor. tia.

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #70 on: February 26, 2006, 12:47:16 pm »
tbtalbot: Please do a dot cross hatch s

MikeQ

« Reply #71 on: February 26, 2006, 12:52:43 pm »
Just an update and question.  I've had my monitor powered up since I got it and either I'm going crazy or having it on has improved the blurriness at the edges.  Is this possible?  I thought maybe I'm just getting used to it but text that was hard to read is now readable.

Later,

Mike

Atomiswave

• Offline Offline
« Reply #72 on: February 26, 2006, 03:15:46 pm »
MikeQ:

I have heard that it is recommended to start and warm up your monitor about 20 minuts before you get optimal picture quality

tbtalbot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 08, 2006, 09:33:19 am
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2006, 04:13:46 pm »
The linearity is pretty darned good and a cross hatch pattern comes out perfect unless it is inverted and the screen in mostly white (causes minor bowing and size changes.)  The lack of linearity on mine is only at the very top right of the screen and only noticeable at 1024x768. Also, im not sure if I have all my monitor timings right as far as Hz are concerned as this thing can go up to 90Hz, though a few of the low res modes flicker while others don't.  (Still playing with optimal resolutions)

Someone else wondered about the TTL input.  TTL inputs are higher voltage signals that would come from a JAMMA PCB.   In the past, I know VGA cards had to have an amplifier to drive some of the arcade monitors.  This one doesnt require any such thing and all modes, including 15kHz ones are available through a standard VGA connector as long as you have AdvanceMAME or an ArcadeVGA card like I do.

whammoed

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 11:11:47 am
  • Crack don't smoke itself
    • NiceMite
« Reply #74 on: February 26, 2006, 05:04:20 pm »

I have the Happs control's flat screen bezel.  Be careful, that thing is very fragile and rips easily. Also, you will pay more for shipping than for the item itself.  It does fit well though

Is the Happs flat screen bezel made from a different material than their other bezels?

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2006, 12:57:10 am »
Kristin, I am interested in ordering this monitor in about two to three months.  Just so I have the info, what is the correct model# for the 1024x768, I have lost track?  Is there any problem with mounting it in a cocktail table?  Also can you give me a price on shipping to PA 17070.  I understand the price might change a little but I would just like to get a idea.  I assume there are no local pickup sites in my area correct?

Thanks
I b**ch. People listen!!

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2006, 03:40:07 pm »
squirrellydw, shipping to PA 17070 is $112.08 for a business delivery or $155.48 for a residential delivery.  The model is BL27CB0P and I'll have to check on the mounting in a cocktail table.  You can order the monitor from us, but it is possible to check and see what Mountain Coin has in stock.  There are no other U.S. distributors.

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2006, 08:33:02 pm »
Thanks, please let me know on the cocktail mounting.

Thanks again
« Last Edit: February 27, 2006, 08:38:03 pm by squirrellydw »
I b**ch. People listen!!

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2006, 10:44:59 pm »

The dimensions I have are as follows: 15.94x24.61x19.49 (inches), I had to convert from mm. and it weighs 86lbs.  It supports from CGA/EGA/VGA/SVGA/XGA.  I've requested that someone post the manual for the BL27CB0P online for you guys.

Anything other questions?

Just want to make sure these dimmensions are HxWxD
I b**ch. People listen!!

sales@8-line.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2006, 04:40:27 pm »
That's LxWxH and it's a universal mount.