Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Need some help on discharging  (Read 1429 times)

taigur

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2005, 09:10:28 pm
Need some help on discharging
« on: November 27, 2005, 07:26:35 pm »
Alrighty, I'm new to this whole mame cabinet thing and I bought a used Double Dragon II arcade machine. I have read over the FAQs involving discharging and am almost prepared to do it. I've attached some pictures for advice.

1) Make sure the arcade cabinet is unplugged. Unplug the monitor form the board and unplug the monitor form the power supply thing.

2) Attach the alligator clips to the metal fame on the monitor, then place the other end of the clips to a flat head screwdriver. (I'm using a double insulated electrician's screwdriver). Make sure I have my left hand in my pocket, not wearing any jewelery, watches, etc, and that I  am on something like a rubber mat.

3) The suction cup thing is underneath the monitor were the clip is to connect the monitor to the board. I place the screwdriver underneath the cup until I hear a crack/see a flash/ or both? I repeat this a couple of times then remove the cup. Then discharge it a couple more times to make sure its safe.

I'm a little nervous trying this for the first time, but does that sound right? Would I be at risk unplugging the monitor's connection to the board or power supply? All help is appreciated.

Jess--

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2023, 09:51:55 am
    • My Botched Cab
Re: Need some help on discharging
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 05:03:09 am »
sounds like you have the theory all worked out.

you are not putting yourself at risk by unplugging the supply or game connections (unless its switched on at the time)

dont be surprised if you do not get a crack / flash, many monitors self discharge. you should be able to feel a small metal spring clip under the suction cup with the screwdriver, as long as you have hit that with the screwdriver you you should have discharged the tube.

dont forget to discharge before putting it back together, tubes quite often pick up a smaller charge while nothing is connected to them.

taigur

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2005, 05:43:00 am »
I'm actually not going to use that monitor at all, opting for a simpler TV or PC monitor for my Mame cabinet. I have yet to plug the machine up myself because the power cord is pretty tore up, but the guy I bought it off of said the monitor doesn't work but you can hear the game starting up. I'm just wanting to get it out of the case safely and into a garbage dumpster.

So I am clipping the alligator clip in the correct spot? Also, while I am taking out the other components of the cabinet, is there any other electrical hazards I should be wary of?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 03:34:45 pm by taigur »

Doughbroz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2019, 05:23:09 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2005, 01:50:16 pm »
Just one more thing to be aware of:  sometimes a capacitor on the monitor board can hold enough of a charge to startle the dickens out of you if you grab the monitor or board with your fingers touching the solder terminals.  Not dangerous, but one caused me to drop a chassis board, which split right down the middle. 

taigur

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2005, 03:18:34 pm »
That shouldn't be a problem. The monitor itself is on a removable wooden mounting bracket that has handles cut into the wood for easy removal.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 05:39:46 pm »
If all you're doing is removing the monitor, you do not need to discharge it. (unless you have small children who could go poking at it wherever you end up putting it).

NO MORE!!

taigur

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 07:04:46 pm »
So, since all I am doing is removing it and tossing it to the dumpster, I do not need to discharge it? I thought as much because it has that wooden frame, but If I were to do it this way, would it be safe? Just unplug the power cable, then unplug the monitor from the board, and just pull it out with the handles? I didn't know if it would be safe that way.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2005, 09:53:33 pm »
So, since all I am doing is removing it and tossing it to the dumpster...

Does the monitor not work?  If you just don't want it, offer it up for free to someone that can use it!

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2024, 12:00:13 am
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2005, 11:56:49 pm »
Oh, I suppose if it's going in a dumpster, then you might want to avoid the lawsuit after the local bum gets zapped...  ;D
NO MORE!!

taigur

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 05:28:06 am »
The monitor doesn't work, and I doubt theres a person in West Virginia that would want it  :'(

Just got the monitor unhooked last night with no problems, so I guess I'll take it out this afternoon and toss it.

I'd like to thank everyone for helping, I'm sure I'll need more as my project progresses.  ;D

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 06:50:49 am »
The monitor doesn't work, and I doubt theres a person in West Virginia that would want it  :'(

I think you'd be suprised.  There are a lot of monitor fix-it guys on this board.  Heck, even if you scrapped the tube and send the board and yoke...

thedevilbunny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 07, 2011, 03:48:40 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 11:36:25 am »
Plenty of arcade types in the mountain state man!  I'm in charleston WV and my brother is in Hurricane WV, and we're all over the arcade scene.  And the pinball scene around here is amazing...  Ya get bored up in the mountains..gotta do something!