Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: All right...not going to quit my job, but my co-worker just sucks.  (Read 13894 times)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
I'll post more on the subject later, but today just...sucked.  And it's not the first day of it's kind.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:05:50 am by Peale »

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
Re: Hate to say it, but I think I'm going to quit my job...
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 06:08:01 pm »
You need to punch that ---tallywhacker--- in the head. I knew it would come to this.

Living the delusional lifestyle.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 06:09:04 pm »

You need to punch that ---tallywhacker--- in the head with your schlong.

Just jab him right in the eye with it.  He'll never see it coming.

Get it?

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 06:10:05 pm »
He's 90% of the problem, but not the ultimate reason.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 07:00:40 pm »

Money?

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 07:23:43 pm »

Money?

NOPE ! He misses BYOAC forums :) He's been slacking  off....He wants to put in 200% again  ;D
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Zakk

• Gosh, that's a real nice... ooh look, a penny! -- That Zakk is Just Mean
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2024, 08:17:58 pm
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 08:27:47 pm »
Dude, you need to do what makes you happy.  If you're unhappy there, life is too short.  Find something else.
Back for nostalgia, based on nostalgia.

pointdablame

• I think Drew is behind this conspiracy...
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 09, 2023, 09:11:07 pm
  • Saint and Woogie let me back in!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 08:43:35 pm »
I don't know what the extra 10% is, but I bet it would be a lot more tolerable if you just kicked the S#(* out of that ---tallywhacker---.
first off your and idiot

Man I love the internet, haha.

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 09:05:56 pm »
Kick his ass. You may get a whooping, but man, you'll feel good...
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 09:19:56 pm »
I know how u feel

I just got in trouble for printing lables without barcodes.....

She told me the data is ready just print labels and now shes saying i should of barcoded it she said they labels were ready for barcoding then labels yet she didn't say it Grrr..

I've been here 2 years last week im looking for a new job right now.

But i wanna hear what happened Peale

RetroJames

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 10:49:59 pm »
I know how u feel

I just got in trouble for printing lables without barcodes.....

She told me the data is ready just print labels and now shes saying i should of barcoded it she said they labels were ready for barcoding then labels yet she didn't say it Grrr..

I've been here 2 years last week im looking for a new job right now.

But i wanna hear what happened Peale

I need to talk to you about your TPS reports...didn't you get the memo?

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 10:59:00 pm »
Quote from: 1hookedspacecadet
I need to talk to you about your TPS reports...didn't you get the memo?
Lol yeah thats the way it seems to be lately :(

But i don't wanna jack Peale thread so im still waiting on what happened  ;D

missioncontrol

• MC-Retro says Wot!
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2021, 12:53:30 pm
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 11:28:52 pm »
you may be able to pay someone to kick the living ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- out of him

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2005, 01:22:09 am »
All right, here goes-ish, in a nutshell. It's 12:31AM, and I just woke from a very unsound sleep.  My hands are shaking, it's actually difficult to type.  So if there are typos, you know why.

I've always been leery of 'the guy' (which we shall now give a name, and it shall be Mumbles) but since he had his major blow-up session at me, I've done everything I can do avoid the guy.  Heh...I had the pleasure of working closely with him all last week (and unbelievably he was actually decent 99% of the week). 

It has certainly affected my work *and* my personal life.  Instead of being happy about work, I've become aprehensive about it, even on the weekends, which should be a 'worry free zone.'  Instead, I'm sitting there all weekend, dreading Monday and renewed torment.

So here we go back to last Thursday.  We'd just pulled some machines off location, a Spider Stompin' game and a basketball game called Hoop It Up.  We had to move some equipment around in a theatre because they were replacing their carpets.  After we moved it, Mumbles had to take a trip up north to deliver some equipment, and to repair some other.  He wouldn't be back until later.

His last words to me were something like this: "think you can find enough work?"

Mine? "With all the equipment in the shop, I'm pretty sure I can find SOMETHING to do."

So I entered the shop.  Wanted to impress.  I knew Spider Stomping was slated to be dropped off at an arcade *sometime* but as we'd just done a delivery recently, I didn't think it would be going out soon. 

So I started working on Hoop It Up.  I did a really good job cleaning it up, too.  (Only one caveat: when I started cleaning the game actually worked.  Now everything seems to work, but when you hit P1/P2 start, it does nothing, but that's not terribly important to this story).

Boss called at some point about something.  I filled him in on the status of Hoop It Up.

It was then that he stated that I shouldn't be working on that, I should be working on Spider Stomp.  I said "okay." and moved on.

After that, I moved on to Spider Stomping.  I worked on it for about 45 minutes before having to return to the movie theatre and move the equipment back into place.  I then went home.

Now, the next day I didn't come in in the morning, I had made arrangements to take the morning off to attend some meeting regarding my youngest son.  I came in later Friday afternoon.

Mumbles is there.  After grunting a few sylables, he asks "how is Spider Stomping coming along?"

I state I've got about 45 minutes into it.

He just stops what he's doing and looks at me.  "Spider Stomping is a priority.  What the heck were you doing yesterday?"

I see where this is going already.  "I was working on Hoop It Up."

He states that he *told* me that Hoop It Up was *NOT* to be worked on, that Spider Stomping was the priority.  Now, remember what I said before about not wanting to cross him in any way, and doing what I'm told?  If he had *really* said that, you *really* think I'm going to cross him and do something else?

He then tells me that they had wanted to move the machine into place that day, but since it was not ready obviously that wasn't going to happen.  "I can start on it right now, have it done in a little bit." I say.  "No time.  I'm going home early, since I was out until 9PM last night.  Boss said I could."

Moving on, same day.  Had to go to a local arcade to check the machines, fill tickets, and see to an 'out of order'.  I do that, and while I'm there a lady informs me that the Skee Ball machine is not giving correct points.  I watch for a couple minutes, see what she's talking about.  Now, I've never worked on a Skee Ball machine before, so I call Mumbles at the shop.  He gives me a very quick rundown on how a Skee Ball machine works, and how to get at the operating guts.  It seems simple enough, so I get off the phone with him to see what I can do to repair it.

I manage to get one out of the two machines working.  The other, no matter how I adjust the actuator wires on the microswitches, it's not triggering.  So I figure...bad switch!  Look in my parts box, no switches.  Luckily the shop is just four miles away, so I head there...no switches, either!  I do find a switch that I think I can remove it's actuator and replace it with the Skee Ball one, and I do.  Still, no dice.  Crap.  Time to call him back.

Except...he's not at the shop.  Crap.  Crap crap.  I know I would be in for more of his crap, so I don't call him.  I leave a message for the boss, detail him, finish up, and go home.

So now here's today.  Cool Guy tells me that boss is going to have a 'little talk' with me about the Hoop It Up game.  Crap.  No matter what I say, I look bad.  I have to stop at his house and pick up some items, and I start thinking of what I'm going to say to him when I get there.

Now, what most of you don't know is that I have a heck of a time talking.  I've stuttered most of my adult life, and my brain makes me say the wrong thing a lot of the time (like switching around names of stuff, fumbling over words, etc).  So when I get there, I start to apologize and explain, and of course I'm doing a piss-poor job of it.

Boss starts in on me.  States that Mumbles *TOLD ME* that Hoop It Up wasn't to be touched (uh...no.  See above.).  Then he said that I've made it a habit to work on non-priority projects.  This suprised me...usually I know what needs to be done, and try (and usually succeed) to accomplish it in the time given.  So where he's getting THAT "trivia tidbit" from I can only guess (Mumbles).

Then in the same breath he starts in on how I don't seem to listen to everything I'm told, how I seem only to retain 80% of what's related to me, and how I had no focus.

I have a BIG problem with these last two statements.  As stated, I've done what I've been asked (unless I have a good reason not to) and as far as I know haven't made any major flubs.  So for the boss to tell me these things, it frankly makes me a bit angry.  Why, you're asking?  THE BOSS IS NEVER AROUND TO SEE WHAT I DO.  Seriously, I see him maybe three times a week, and usually only for a few minutes at a time.  So he must be getting his "information" from somewhere...Mumbles?

Then he starts on how I majorly dropped the ball on the Skee Ball.  That kind of suprised me, and yet it didn't.  My major mistake on that was not calling Mumbles after I couldn't get it goign after a few minutes, since he was still at the shop.  I tell him *why* I didn't call him, since he had already gone home and I didn't want to get mad.  Then it hit me: great!  I made him doubly mad at me, as he had to drive up Saturday morning to fix what I couldn't!  Great.  Boss said he told Mumbles to not get mad at me, that he would deal with me himself.  Yeah...that's going to make him not get ticked for having to drive up on a Saturday AM.

So I really don't know what to do; I *do* love my job. Virtually every aspect of it.  I even like loading the truck. 

What I don't love is this walking-around-on-eggshells thing I've got with Mumbles.  Whenever I make a decision it's pretty much based on what *won't* piss him off.

Case in point: we're stocking the ski resorts with equipment two weeks ago.  I made *damn* sure I had all the equipment ready to roll.  Night before I pulled it all out of the warehouse and put it on the floor so it would be an easy load.

So I get there the next day to load the truck, and I can already see Mumbles is pissed about something.  What, who knows.  Probably the trip, he's complaining about *everything*.  He makes a mention of he's not sure if he wants to move the equipment to the loading dock, but doesn't want to take up a bay.  That's it, just that little mention.  And with what he said about taking up a bay, I don't think any more of it, since that's the start - and finish - of hearing about it.

They go to drop off some equipment nearby, about an hour trip total.  When they get back, Mumbles is even *more* pissed about something.  I question Cool Guy about it, and he says that he's pissed that I didn't move any of the equipment out to the dock.

WTF?  I can't win either way.

So this is what it's come down to: dealing with crap like that, on top of the opinion that the boss has of me (which I'm 99% sure is offset by what Mumbles has related to the boss).
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 02:04:55 am by Peale »

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2005, 02:00:11 am »
Dude, long post! I think I got the gist of it though...

Mumbles IS an ---sufferer of cranial-rectal-inversion---! ...plain and simple. He sounds majorly MOODY!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2005, 03:01:41 am by Jabba »
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2005, 02:12:44 am »
In the Duck, Duck, Goose game of working with this ass hat, you've been goosed.  I don't normally advocate giving up, but this entire situation seems to have been mishandled into a fiasco which now threatens you with a losing proposition no matter which way you turn.

Find another job on your days off.  You clearly got cut at the knees, and it's because you poked the bear.  You shoulda been laying out your case to the boss and standing up to ass hat earlier, now it's a chess match and all you've got is one piece left.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2005, 02:15:48 am »
Dude, long post! I think I giot the gist though

Heh...it's been building for a while.  There's tons more, but I won't bore you.

Also...sorry for editing your post, I didn't want his name on here.  I slipped.

Mumbles IS an ---sufferer of cranial-rectal-inversion---! Plain and simple. He sounds majorly MOODY!  I bet sometimes (rarely) you guys joke, right?)

Sometimes the guy can be okay, sure.  Problem is I never know what's going to set him off.

I think I wrote about this already, but what really made me not want to be around him was this:

Several weeks ago, he had to go repair some machines up north.  A rather unfun trip, I thought.  He left fairly early in the AM.

He comes back in the afternoon, and so in comiserating with him about how his day must have sucked, I said: "wow, you just getting back?"

Him: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Me: "um...just that."

"I don't see what that has to do with anything."

(confused) "er...okay...why are you being evasive?"

(I mean, seriously, it's not like it's a bad question, unless you're trying to cover something up, right?)

"I'm not being evasive.  I don't answer to you, I answer to the boss."

(he goes to answer the phone)

Me: "jeeze, I'm sorry, I was just making conversation..."

Him: "CHRIST, I'M ON THE F'ING PHONE!  SHUT THE F UP, A******!"

Me: "...!"

He apologized for it about half an hour later.  We talked for a few minutes, and I tried explaining that I was just comicerating about his day.  His response?  Same thing.  "I don't answer to you, I answer to the boss.  You don't need to know that." Hasn't stopped him from asking ME similar questions since then, though!

Based on what you hear,  you gotta ask yourself if you seriously like the job that much? Its ARCADE related and mega cool I know, but to be putting up with his crap?

Please note the topic of this thread.  ;)

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2005, 02:18:11 am »
Find another job on your days off.  You clearly got cut at the knees, and it's because you poked the bear.  You shoulda been laying out your case to the boss and standing up to ass hat earlier, now it's a chess match and all you've got is one piece left.

Heh...nice analogy.

Problem is, I *haven't*  been poking the bear.  I've tried leaving him alone. 

Finding a job on the weekends is hard.  I may just have to take a morning off here or there to scout out.  There's a warehouse I've been thinking of applying for, that might do the job. 

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2005, 02:32:50 am »
this may not seem relevant but look at it from another point of view.....dont quit, its the wrong way out. Get Fired if need be, then unemployment checks come. You've done your part, no reason to satisfy anyone now  ;)

Bones

• [Moderator]
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2021, 11:34:03 pm
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2005, 03:51:34 am »
If I was you I would call a "team meeting". If you struggle with speech when put on the spot then draw up an agenda. Reinforce that there seems to be communication issues between the parties. Put the focus back onto mumbles when met with resistance on how he would like the situation corrected. He won't have a valid answer because he is a cranky half wit fart so now is your perfect opportunity to present to your boss a working solution.

Formulate job cards. Make it official. Put the day

Living the delusional lifestyle.

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2005, 03:57:25 am »
Seriously.  Start enjoying your job.  Your problem is fear, and by the time you get to the point you have reached it's just a matter of realizing, but also convincing yourself, that you haven't got anything to fear.  Quit trying to avoid this guy.  Knock this eggshell crap off.  It serves no purpose other than to feed into the power this guy feels over you.  I'm not saying you need to get all confrontational.  Realistically, that's probably not possible, at least without years of practice to overcome the stuttering.  But you need to quit giving a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---.  And you can let him know that you don't give a ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- by looking at him.  You don't have to say a word.  The next time he starts PMSing suddenly grin, like you're trying to keep yourself from laughing.  It will piss him off to no end.  He'll ask what's funny.  Say, "nothing," but keep grinning.  Start doing this EVERY time he acts up.  Quit rewarding him for bad behavior.  It will only take two times before he realizes what exactly it is you find funny.  Every time after that will dig further under his skin.  He might just learn to hate being an ---uvula--- to you.  That'll do a helluva lot more to fix his attitude then empowering him with eggshells.  It won't be easy at first, but it actually is easy.  Just fake it till you make it.  After the first couple times you'll realize that the only thing stopping you from acting however the hell you want (and should), is you.  As Nike would say....just do it.  Fake it a couple times and you'll believe and then it'll be a walk in the park.

Will it get you fired?  Maybe.  So what?  It beats quiting, which is the only other alternative.  At least you'll leave with some dignity (and unemployment checks). 

And either way, quitting or getting fired, punch that ---maternal-smurf--- in the nose before you leave.  Hard.  That one moment will turn this whole wretched affair into one of the happiest, crowning memories you will ever have.  You will remember it on your death bed and it will be a moment you wouldn't trade it for 10 years of happy arcade repair without this guy.  That one moment will make his existence entirely worth it to you.   
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 07:04:19 am »
Will it get you fired?  Maybe.  So what?  It beats quiting, which is the only other alternative.  At least you'll leave with some dignity (and unemployment checks). 

No unemployment checks here.  I've been getting paid as an 'outside contractor' so he doesn't have to deal with paying taxes.

Thanks for all your suggestions, guys, but I unfortunately think that it's time to move on.  When something affects me this way, it's no longer fun, it's *stress* and I've started noticing the signs.  Loss of appetite, lack of sleep, and lately I've been hitting the bottle just to feel normal.  That's not right.

Even if this *is* my dream job, it's not worth this stress that I'm going thru.  I've already learned a ton from it, and I can apply that knowledge to either other jobs, or to my favorite hobby.

Now my current stress isn't the job, but how to find another one without alerting him to the fact, and even worse, breaking the news to him I don't want to work for him any more. 

JackTucky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2021, 12:00:58 pm
  • Soon I will post that I am a triathalete
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2005, 07:33:25 am »
Don't be nervous about resigning.  When you go to resign, it will be all about you.  You will have the floor.  You will tell him why you're leaving.  It will be your chance to tell him why you don't want to work there.

Have fun with that at least.

Art
Well, that's where we go a-ridin' into town, a whampin' and whompin' every livin' thing that moves within an inch of its life. Except the women folks, of course.

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:21:35 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2005, 07:37:57 am »
Just  hit the Lottery already, will ya ! This will make all your problems go away and make you very very happy.  :D
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2005, 07:48:22 am »
Just  hit the Lottery already, will ya ! This will make all your problems go away and make you very very happy.  :D

Wouldn't it?  :D

Quarters

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 08, 2010, 06:53:17 pm
  • I am not now, nor have I ever been, a llama!
    • Quarters Arcade Site
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2005, 08:24:57 am »
If it's time to move on, move on.

Glad to hear you learned some more repair/restoration tricks. That usually means down the road the rest of us learn them too.

Unfortunately you will find characters like mumbles in most work places. There are many strategies to deal with them. I tend to use good natured ribbing.

Example:

He comes back in the afternoon, and so in comiserating with him about how his day must have sucked, I said: "wow, you just getting back?"

Him: "What's that supposed to mean?"

Me: "It means you're f'ing slow" with a big smile, an elbow, a "I'm kidding" after or some other RL equivalent to a  ;).

It's hard to b*tch at someone who is kidding with you. It also lets him know you will not be his whipping boy. Getting defensive enables his nature to be a ---tallywhacker---.

By the way, You do this very well on this forum. If you can do the same in RL These guys will not get to you and you get to go home happy.

Best of luck whatever you choose to do.   
97.4 percent of all statistics are full of crap.

Edgedamage

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 06, 2018, 12:21:23 am
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2005, 08:55:53 am »
When I was in the business that's all I ever heard was horror stories from employees of arcade shops. List of complants I have heard over the years:

#1:bad pay
#2:bad hours
#3:getting yelled at

Best way to get back at the ---punks--- get a job at their competition. And start stealing their locations.
Curls in the squat rack !?!?!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2005, 09:29:36 am »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2005, 09:31:14 am »
this may not seem relevant but look at it from another point of view.....dont quit, its the wrong way out. Get Fired if need be, then unemployment checks come. You've done your part, no reason to satisfy anyone now

RetroJames

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2021, 05:26:38 pm
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2005, 10:02:10 am »

Walk up to him on the next workday and kick him dead in the ass as hard as you can.

When he turns around say, "Y'know, you look really f'ing stupid you jackass."

then run...I did that once to a bully type, it was alot like the scene in Dazed and Confused with the paint bucket.

fredster

• Grand Prophet of Arcadeology
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2019, 04:28:53 pm
  • It's all good!
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 10:04:38 am »
Peale, I've worked with dudes like that.

One thing I did was just go and ask the BOSS what he wants me to do. Not this dude. Talk to the boss and make sure you Know what he wants you to do.

There are more than a few of these people.
King of the Flying Monkeys from the Dark Side

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:44:43 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 10:26:06 am »
Peale:

It totally sucks that you're in this situation.  I unfortunately was put in the same situation by a previous manager that disliked me becuase I knew more than him and continually completed projects he had open for MONTHS on end, and tended to inadvertantly make him look like a fool (which he was).  He tried on more than one occasion to get me fired by fabricating stories about me doing work for another company while hired here.  I was always able to prove that that was not the case, and he was able to present enough "evidence" (read: an e-mail containing the name of another company, or some source code snippet I found that I used here that I thought would be personally useful so I sent it to my personal e-mail address)  to convince the higher-ups that it was a misunderstanding and not a deliberate outright lie to stay here, until he eventually got fired for incompetence.  I'm currently in his position as IT Manager.

The issue is, you're going to CONTINUE to run into people like this, without question.  There's a couple of things you can do to ensure that you have a somewhat pleasant working experience wherever you are.

- Follow procedures carefully, and make sure there's a trail.  If you're having trouble, call.  If you can't get ahold of someone, leave messages.  Make sure that there's evidence you called.  Write down dates/times of calls and the issue that happened.  Keep a "log" for each job.  (This can be a regular college ruled notebook, with "Date/Location" on top and a list of issues. If none, write none.)

- If someone is disrespecting you or yelling at you, do the following:  Ask that they stop yelling.  "I'm sorry you have a problem with this, but there's no need to yell or be condescending.  I'm more than willing to work with you if we can talk about this like adults.".  Have a calm conversation.  If the other party refuses to do so, EVEN IF YOU WORK FOR THEM, document it.  Write it down.  If this happens more than 2 or 3 times, file a complaint with human resources.  If there is no HUman Resources department, call "the boss", and arrange a time to speak with him.  Sit down with him, and calmly explain the situation.  "I am doing my job to the best of my ability.  I've been attempting to do what I'm told, but I'm running into some issues.  I have documented these issues here. *Present papers*.  I have attempted to go to Mumbles to ask for some direction or some idea of what he'd like done, and this is what is occurring.  I'd like to be able to do things correctly but i think there's a lack of communication here that needs to be addressed." 

It may be too late at this place, but make sure in the future you follow this chain.  If someone who has been there a while starts complaining about the "new guy" because they're an idiot, and you don't have any documentation or communications with the proper personnel, it's going to be VERY hard to plead your case.

I agree, at this point it might make sense to look elsewhere, but make sure you prepare for this in the future.  I guarantee it won't be the last time.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2005, 10:34:59 am »
Not if the boss didn't pay his unemployment insurance properly... say, if Peale is working under the table or for an "unofficial" business.
well its not like i could have known that chad, it was only a suggestion.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2005, 11:05:20 am »
Not if the boss didn't pay his unemployment insurance properly... say, if Peale is working under the table or for an "unofficial" business.
well its not like i could have known that chad, it was only a suggestion.

Easy there, NIVO, don't yell at me.  I'm not your whipping boy.  I can talk like an adult but I will not be verbally abused.

That's how that works.  ;)

It all depends on how closely you've followed his situation.  The other threads have all the relevant info, such as he works in a four person operation, obviously no HR dept, no formal procedures, boss off on business most of the time leaving Peale alone with asshat and at times another decent guy.

This is the hard place to be because it's all word of mouth and nonwitnessed conversations.

mr.Curmudgeon

• It's going to hurt your brain. A lot.
  • Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 11, 2021, 07:15:49 pm
  • Huzzah!
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2005, 12:07:27 pm »

Ok, next time he walks toward you, scream "I don't know you!" or "Give me back my purse!" and kick him in the ding-ding.

Then just plead insanity. You may end up with 3 hots and a cot!

mrC

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2005, 12:20:44 pm »

"HE'S NOT MY DADDY!"

My brother actually yelled "She's not my mother" once when we were trying to get him out of the mall during a tantrum... we had more cops on us than if Dunkin Donuts was burning down.

AceTKK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 20, 2011, 01:14:48 am
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2005, 12:23:04 pm »

Ok, next time he walks toward you, scream "I don't know you!" or "Give me back my purse!" and kick him in the ding-ding.

Then just plead insanity. You may end up with 3 hots and a cot!

mrC

bwahaha, "Thaaaat's my purse!"

I want my own arcade controls!

1zzy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2006, 08:12:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2005, 12:34:12 pm »
I think you should readjust your attitude towards Mumbles by just not giving a crap what he does/says. It sounds like he personally needs better communication skills on his part as you don't treat employees let alone individuals that way. I agree totally with the comments that if he makes comments regarding possible work things that you need to have him prioritize things for the day.

Like it was said before CYA - Cover Your Ass! If there are job assignments to get done for the day, get it put in writing and keep a log of your time for the day - that way you can show it to your BOSS and not Mumbles. Make up a simple form that has stuff like times, location, description etc. and then put a signature spot next to it. The reason I said the last column is because you can get clients to sign if you work in a location and if Mumbles changes his mind about things he happens to mention you have his signature showing his priorities clearly listed to boot to show your BOSS.

Ultimately, if you decided to keep this job and you implement this then you wil show that any problems are not on your end and on his. It will also make it clear to your BOSS that he is loosing a good woorker when you hand in your notice. As far as searchign for jobs, you should have plenty of time to make calls during lunch to other competitors to see about job openings. Schedule them for lunch-times and you should have no problem finding another job.

In the end, you have to be happy where you work or you'll resent going everyday. Good Luck!

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2005, 01:22:13 pm »
I dont recall me yelling, if you can infer that from written text, you must know the secret to all magic tricks too  :P

Effayy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2006, 02:09:07 pm
  • Slowest....Cab Builder.... EVER.
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2005, 01:26:41 pm »
Unfortunately you will find characters like mumbles in most work places. There are many strategies to deal with them. I tend to use good natured ribbing.

I agree on this one.