Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Laminate trimmer for t-molding slot cutting?  (Read 21507 times)

DrewKaree

• - AHOTW - Pompous revolving door windbag *YOINKER*
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2021, 05:31:18 pm
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
Re: Laminate trimmer for t-molding slot cutting?
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2006, 08:48:37 pm »

Thanks for confirming that! I had thought about the problem that I might run into with the bearings being on top, but I figured everything out and it won't be a problem. One more question that I meant to ask. Is there any difference between a pattern bit and a flush trip bit other than the bearing positions? Can a flush trim bit handle more than just a little bit of overhang (such as actually cutting it out of the board)?

Differences:

Pattern bits tend to be a bit more "fat".  There's exceptions to everything, but most every brand I've seen, this tends to be the norm. 

Pattern bits can be plunged down into the material you're looking to match up.  If you try a flush cutting bit instead, you will have to drill a clearance hole for the bit first. 

A flush trim bit CAN handle the overhang, but you're asking for trouble with BOTH styles of bits, as in possible kickback or binding.  This'll also prematurely wear your bits.  Failing to trim excess material isn't advised with either bit, but it's nothing that you need to be overly fussy with.  Just get as close as you're comfortable with, and use the router to tidy everything up.
You’re always in control of your behavior. Sometimes you just control yourself
in ways that you later wish you hadn’t

Tahnok

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2008, 06:09:25 am
  • Error recording error codes. Remaining errors lost
    • Table Arcades
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2006, 12:24:31 am »
Good advice. I just ordered the pattern cutter. Can't wait to get it and start doing damage.
Note: Out of town with limited internet access 2-28-08 through 3-16-08

Bartop/Countertop Cabinet Kits For Sale

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2006, 09:45:44 am »
Drew is right on the money here. I like the flush trim bits better because of the bearing location. It is a bunch safer in a handheld router than a pattern bit, because you are not hanging out excess bit below the workpiece. With appropriate amounts of caution either bit will work just dandy.

<norm> Actually boys and girls, the router is an extremely dangerous tool if not given the proper respect. Safety glasses, no loose clothing, watch the long hair, etc. The razor sharp carbide bit is spinning at about 20k RPM. Please be careful. </norm>

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2006, 10:02:36 am »

<norm> Actually boys and girls, the router is an extremely dangerous tool if not given the proper respect. Safety glasses, no loose clothing, watch the long hair, etc. The razor sharp carbide bit is spinning at about 20k RPM. Please be careful. </norm>

Dude, gimme your table saw, you New Yankee Daisy!

PrizLucky

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2010, 09:42:32 am
  • It's good to be lucky
    • My arcade blog
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2006, 10:19:42 am »
I was at Lowe's last night (on a arcade non-related stop) and couldn't resist looking at the routers.. I saw the Hitachi M12vc router there for $114 and it seemed like a pretty decent little router..

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=118359-67702-M12VC&lpage=none

I haven't been able to find anybodys reveiws on that router online though.. anybody have any thoughts..?

they also had the dewalt laminate trimmer for $85 i think (though their website is showing it for $99).

DrewKaree

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • HAH! Nice one!
    • A lifelong project
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2006, 10:28:05 am »
Hitachi is starting to make EXCELLENT routers for the price, but they're not commonly found in big box stores.  I'm more than positive you'd end up liking that router.  I'm looking at picking up another model of theirs for table work.

nostrebor

• Not enough wit to effectively use this space...
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2013, 02:02:41 pm
  • SHOCKING!!
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2006, 11:50:27 am »
The M12c was all the rage at closeout prices about a year ago on BT3central.com. There should be about 40 million comments over there on it. General consensus was that it was a great router-best suited to table use because of size and HP. I don't recall reading a single bad comment about it.