Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME Intro Movies 106 *out now  (Read 144097 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: MAME Intro Movies 104 *out now
« Reply #320 on: June 29, 2006, 01:52:49 pm »
What if you just added something to your FE such that if the video is not found it gives you the ability to generate it? Perhaps as a separate menu option since you wouldn't want this to be asking you to create videos while actually running the FE.

Well if you want to wait 3-30 min after launching a game (or navigating to a gave) before you can do anything then it could be added. 

I mean no offense but I meant just displaying mame in a window, not capturing mame while it is being displayed in the fe.  The resources required to just display mame are massive, to display mame AND capture, that's down right impossible on anything short of a super computer.  Also elaborating what I said above, caputring isn't an instant process.. even using buddamame it takes around 3-5 minutes to launch mame, capture a modest sized clip (forget about the large ones) close mame, and convert it to avi.  So you can either capture upon launch (when you launch the game it first launches in capture mode, then launches the game) or capture upon navigation, which could take some time. 

As I said, impractical. 

Now you could have a manual capture key/menu selection from within a fe, but the fe would have to be frozen during the entire capture process due to the resources it needs. 

arcadegamenut

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 16, 2010, 01:48:45 pm
Re: MAME Intro Movies 106 *out now
« Reply #321 on: June 29, 2006, 10:24:33 pm »
You missed the point where I said an option. In other words, it wouldn't do it within the FE while you're selecting the game. But there could be a menu option....maybe something like 'Build Missing Videos'.

Circo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 03:27:51 am
  • Still using screenshots? Try EmuMovies instead.
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #322 on: June 30, 2006, 03:15:27 pm »
If you really want to make your own videos I put a nice little how-to up on my site a couple of weeks ago, that might help you out.
My Websites

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 10:59:21 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #323 on: July 01, 2006, 12:03:10 pm »
You missed the point where I said an option. In other words, it wouldn't do it within the FE while you're selecting the game. But there could be a menu option....maybe something like 'Build Missing Videos'.

No I got it, but you missed my point.  Making vids take an incredible amount of resources.. if any of the other programs running take up too mauch resources, but the running app and the resulting vids suffer.  Since the only way to make the vids would be to freeze the fe completely while they are being built, you might as well just use the batch file method that everyone else already uses. 

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2015, 02:51:45 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #324 on: July 01, 2006, 02:26:06 pm »

Impractical, like Howard said. Not only does it take BuddaMAME a full week to create a set of videos, CDBrown takes the raw video from BuddaMAME and hand-edits it. Plus, a "missing" video might be of a game that isn't working in the first place.

Even capturing the raw mng video from vanilla MAME taxes the hardware. You probably could capture a snippet of video that you want, but you'd have a couple of problems. One is that the mng files are very large. Second, many if not most front ends do not support mng video. Third, you definitely can't capture at full screen res at real time, you'd have to run MAME in a window. Even then, you probably couldn't capture anything more complex than pacman without terrible loss of framerate.
I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #325 on: July 01, 2006, 03:25:08 pm »

Even capturing the raw mng video from vanilla MAME taxes the hardware. You probably could capture a snippet of video that you want, but you'd have a couple of problems. One is that the mng files are very large. Second, many if not most front ends do not support mng video. Third, you definitely can't capture at full screen res at real time, you'd have to run MAME in a window. Even then, you probably couldn't capture anything more complex than pacman without terrible loss of framerate.

[/quote]

To second that, I have had to upgrade my system a few times for the emumovies project.  Currently I am running an Athlon 64 X2 4600+ using WD Raptor 10,000rpm hard drives, and it still takes a fair amount of tweaking to keep the framrates going smoothly.  Most systems just can not handle the huge amount of overhead to do both things at the same time. 
My Websites

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2006, 05:00:49 pm »
I'll add my 2 cents - I can vouch that it takes quite a while to produce the vids - first of all there's the batch process which runs each game through buddamame and depending on the game - can take 2 minutes to 60mins before it begins the process of converting the mng's to an avi.  More often than not you'll end up with a video which could be good, could be nothing, could be 4 minutes long with nothing.

There's nothing wrong at all with having ideas so I encourage people to ocme up with things that could everything easier.  Just recommend that people don't get defensive or offensive when it comes to these things.  If someone can come up with an easier way to getting these done then that is fantastic - would save me a lot of time and probably make my life/wife very happy.  For the 106 update there was 200mb of new vids, but it took me over 3 weeks to do it.

One last thing - a number of games are playable, yet there can be an Access Violation which stuffs up the whole process and may cause the FE to crash.

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #327 on: July 01, 2006, 06:38:39 pm »
I am just glad that someone else took the MAME vids on, so no complaints here.  And I will second the wife thing, my wife is not an EmuMovies fan in the least.  :troll: 

Cdbrown if you don't mind if you have a list of games that you can not get to work using your process I would be more than happy to get those done for you, please let me know.  I have the manual process down pat so it will not take me long at all.
My Websites

releasedtruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 11, 2018, 12:06:49 am
  • Projected Nexus
« Reply #328 on: August 15, 2006, 01:09:53 am »
Wow, I just heard about all this. Awesome work, truly a feat worthy of applause. I'm getting nearly 600kb/sec so I'll be seeding soon enough!

:cheers:

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #329 on: August 30, 2006, 04:54:56 pm »
Where's the 108 update pack?

;D

j/k... thanks for all the hard work!

:applaud:

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #330 on: September 04, 2006, 09:35:24 am »
or the 107 for that matter  :cry:

The answer to both is "I don't know"  Budda is working hard on getting the movie making process fixed after the changes made to the mame core.  If he's around hopefully he can answer this more appropriately.

EnderWiggen22

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2010, 09:32:27 pm
« Reply #331 on: October 21, 2006, 06:51:33 pm »
I can't d/l the movies b/c I'm at Hotmail. Any plans on posting the vids anywhere else, or not using a torrent?
Terrorism and Patriotism are only separated by success

ardarvin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2008, 08:45:58 pm
can't find torrent
« Reply #332 on: November 21, 2006, 07:26:26 pm »
Sorry, I've checked [romsite name redacted], as well as a bunch of other torrent sites, and can't seem to find the torrent. Can someone point me in the right direction?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:08:36 am by PL1 »

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #333 on: November 23, 2006, 06:28:00 am »
It's there on [romsite name redacted].  16 seeders waiting to provide the movies.  Search for 0.106 and it will show up.  It's nearly 5 months old now so it's a few pages in if you don't do the search.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:08:58 am by PL1 »

ardarvin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2008, 08:45:58 pm
« Reply #334 on: November 28, 2006, 11:49:53 pm »
thanks, found it  ;D

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #335 on: November 29, 2006, 12:17:02 am »
Does the EmuMovies Complete DVD Collection (USA) - $40 include everything listed on the site, as in all the emulators??
I b**ch. People listen!!

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #336 on: November 29, 2006, 06:47:27 am »
It includes every emumovies set.  No emulators though, just the videos.
My Websites

squirrellydw

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2021, 11:30:22 am
« Reply #337 on: November 29, 2006, 10:08:28 am »
great, thats what I thought.  Are these still being updated on a regular basis or are they mostly complete?

Thanks
I b**ch. People listen!!

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #338 on: December 04, 2006, 12:06:30 pm »
I think they are updated and improved as Circo moves along.  There's been no update for the mame set as I'm waiting for Budda to iron out the problems with the updated mame releases and the movie making process.

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #339 on: December 08, 2006, 10:32:20 am »
Currently the MAME -mngwrite option is broken. Until that is fixed, we won't be able to create any movies.

Unfortunately I don't yet understand MAME's new video system, so I have not been able to either fix -mngwrite or create a new BuddaMAME since v0.106. It is more likely that I'll be able to fix -mngwrite and then we can create movies with my mng2avi utility.

I have changed my nickname to "Cakemeister". Please do not PM the Buddabing account because I do not check it anymore.

Please read the wiki!

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #340 on: December 10, 2006, 09:36:38 pm »
I have been really pressed for time the last few months with other projects, I was always able to make the videos manually in mame as I do in other emulators, I made some a few versions ago and got distracted with a new cab build and work.  I sat down the other day to try and make some with mame 1.10 and I am having problems with slowdown that I didn't have a few versions ago.  I will try tweaking some things and see if I can get it to work so I can finally get an update out.  I have updated my cab to the newest version so I have incentive to finish now.  ;D
My Websites

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #341 on: December 10, 2006, 09:42:47 pm »
great, thats what I thought.  Are these still being updated on a regular basis or are they mostly complete?

Thanks

I have been really tied up with work and other arcade related projects lately.  Updates are going to probably be quite awhile and mostly cd based systems.  The other thing I want to do is higher definition videos if I can get the screensaver mode in mala ironed out.  Still not sure if that is a pipe dream or I will actually take the time to redo them.

Bottom line is the dvd set probably will not change in the near future save that I have been re encoding the videos to xvid so that mala will work with them and will be updating the dvd sets accordingly.  I am just about done with that although it has delayed shipments of those sets by about a week but all will be out in time for christmas.
My Websites

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #342 on: February 21, 2007, 06:00:39 pm »
The MAME -mngwrite option was fixed in version v0.112. So now it is again possible to create intro vids from the -mngwrite output. I've updated my mng2avi utility to do this.

This utility will allow vids to be made using future versions of MAME as well.

Please read the wiki!

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #343 on: February 22, 2007, 08:56:29 pm »
Since I have started making the EmuMovies HiQ sets I finally decided to tackle M.A.M.E. for a few reasons. 

#1 Many into sequences do not have sound.  I load the game, manually record the intro then if needed will actually record some gameplay. 

#2 Because I run multiple emulators and have captured previews using a standard resolution, I use the stretch option in the front end to fill the preview box.  In mame this really jacks up the vertical games.  So I am making all of my captures full screen at 640x480 and on the verticals it includes the black bars (or cropped bezels)

#3 I really like the higher quality vids for full screen screensaver mode.  There is virtually no difference between the preview and the game itself.

Now I will say that it is WAYYY more time consuming, because I have to take the raw capture, edit and crop it in premeire elements, export it, then do a batch convert to xvid every 50 or so previews.  I also can not make videos for games that are basically not playable anyway framerate wise.  But I just finished building a new system to tackle this and so far I am through #-A and have had no framerate issues.

I slapped together a new Core 2 Duo setup clocked at 3.0Ghz per core, 8800 Nvidia GTS video card, and two gigs of ddr2 800 memory.  I also got my hands on a new 750GB "Work Drive" to handle all of the raw captures and emulation files. 

I will start a new thread when I get the WIP torrent up and running in the next couple of days.  It will also include all of the added previews since v106.

Warning: It is going to be big, I estimate the entire MAME preview set to clock in at about 14GB when finished, so many folks will probably be just fine with CD Browns work.

Edit: could use some help with a small compatability snag, if anyone could test for me go here: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=63515.0
« Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 11:05:24 pm by Circo »
My Websites

KillerArcades

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 22, 2009, 02:09:39 pm
« Reply #344 on: March 11, 2007, 05:45:47 pm »
Awesome task, Circo, please  let us know how you progress with this
yeah, that's right.

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #345 on: March 11, 2007, 07:18:50 pm »
My Websites

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
« Reply #346 on: July 25, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »
Anyone know if there's somewhere (aside from ordering CDs) where these still might be available?  They don't seem to be on [romsite name redacted] any longer.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:09:39 am by PL1 »

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #347 on: July 26, 2007, 07:37:45 am »
They were on there the other week with the average of about 10 seeders waiting to be leeched - unfortunately I can't check the site from work as it's blocked.  I'll check when I get home tonight (about 5 1/2 hours time) and try to rectify.

Cheers
-cdbrown

Havok

• Keeper of the __Blue_Stars___
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 22, 2023, 09:14:44 pm
  • Insufficient facts always invite danger.
« Reply #348 on: July 26, 2007, 08:11:39 am »
They're still there:

EmuMovies Collection (2007-03-03)  15 Seeders, 10 Leechers
EmuMovies MAME AVI Game Previews HiQ #-I  21 Seeders, 2 Leechers

I found them by doing a search for emu under torrents...

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #349 on: July 26, 2007, 08:41:10 pm »
Unfortunately, those don't include the cdbrown mame movie collection prior to 0.107...which is the vast majority of games.  That's really what I'm asking about.

Circo

• Offline Offline
    • EmuMovies
« Reply #350 on: July 27, 2007, 04:09:39 am »
They were not included because cdbrown made them, I think he is going to re-up it.
My Websites

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #351 on: July 27, 2007, 10:23:39 am »
Great...

And I look forward to your files being done - I just wanted to have something 'complete' to pop into place now, and replace with the HiQ ones as they come out.

um3k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #352 on: July 28, 2007, 02:46:37 pm »
Unfortunately, those don't include the cdbrown mame movie collection prior to 0.107...which is the vast majority of games.  That's really what I'm asking about.

Those are also still on PD: Mame 0.106 Intro Vids (20 Seeds, 1 Leech)

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Bowowow
« Reply #353 on: July 30, 2007, 10:41:20 am »
Yep - [romsite name redacted] has them - see the link on the first post of the thread.  Lots of seeders so should get good speed on that.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 01:10:02 am by PL1 »

Necro

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: August 02, 2007, 09:28:35 pm »
Ah...vids.  I was searching videos, movies, etc., and couldn't find the dang torrent.

Thanks for the direction, appreciate it.  Sorry for the annoyance.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #355 on: August 10, 2007, 09:33:33 pm »
Uh, I tried all the options. I found a mame intro vids torrent with a file at 4.21 gigs, but there are ZERO seeds.

Anyone able to help?
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

Buddabing

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #356 on: August 13, 2007, 06:41:15 pm »
I just downloaded the full v0.106 set and I would like to have a gameplay video of pacman. The puckman video has the Japanese names of the characters.

Anybody have one? If not I'll have to create my own via Mame Movie Maker and edit the attract mode video by hand.

Please read the wiki!

teknomedic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2011, 10:14:11 pm
« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2007, 02:57:12 am »
So... I'd really prefer not to read all the replies... but...

What's the name of the torrent?... or am I blind and it's in the first post??

Thanks,
TK.

Magnet_Eye

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 11, 2020, 09:26:19 pm
  • Feel the heat?
    • Web Hosting deals for BYOAC Users!
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2007, 05:26:17 am »
I just downloaded the full v0.106 set and I would like to have a gameplay video of pacman. The puckman video has the Japanese names of the characters.

Anybody have one? If not I'll have to create my own via Mame Movie Maker and edit the attract mode video by hand.

yes, i have it from the first release of the vids a couple years back... pm me your email and i'll send it.
I offer discounted WEB HOSTING to BYOAC members! Only $2.49 a month for a FULL FEATURED account! www.cloud9media.com

um3k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:23:51 pm
« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2007, 06:59:32 am »
What's the name of the torrent?... or am I blind and it's in the first post??
Those are also still on PD: Mame 0.106 Intro Vids (20 Seeds, 1 Leech)