Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: wiring cp  (Read 2797 times)

16el

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 04, 2005, 03:06:26 pm
  • I'm a llama!
wiring cp
« on: January 20, 2003, 12:19:04 pm »

Is it better to use those quick connector clips or sauder the connections.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 01:18:01 pm by 16el »

The Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2009, 03:41:49 pm
  • I'm easy like Sunday mornin!
Re:wiring cp
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2003, 04:33:21 pm »

Is it better to use those quick connector clips or sauder the connections.

Thanks in advance.

Funny you should ask this... I was just thinking about the same thing the other day.  I've made several control panels and found the wiring of the quick disconnects to be the most time consuming.  If I thought I wasn't going to change anything on the CP I think I would solder the connections,  I could do it in about a .10 the time.

Game On!
TM

Darkstalker

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 27, 2010, 12:55:36 am
  • A legend in my spare time...
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2003, 05:06:42 pm »
I agree with The Man...Unless you are planning on changing components a lot I would just solder the wires on.
Still in the collecting parts and ideas phase of cabinet building.

SirPoonga

• Puck'em Up
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 12, 2023, 09:22:35 pm
  • The Bears Still Suck!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2003, 06:13:32 pm »
how are disconnects slower?  Put wire in, crimp.  How does that take more time?

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2024, 04:45:38 am
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2003, 06:27:11 pm »
I am not an expert solder-er but I would image that Soldering would take a lot longer than crimping disconnects onto wires...

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2003, 06:45:19 pm »
I am not an expert solder-er but I would image that Soldering would take a lot longer than crimping disconnects onto wires...

especially if it's the right size disconnect/wire for the job! :D

just stick the wire in and squeeze.. hehe..

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2003, 10:47:54 pm »
Disconnects were the way for me.  Like the others said, just stick the wire in and squeeze.  Not difficult.  It was time consuming for me as I had to fold the wire over itself and twist to get enough wire in the disconnect.

Cheers
-cdbrown

Disclaimer - I haven't tested any of the controls to see if the crimping actually has worked for me.

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2003, 11:58:12 pm »
Even someone good at soldering can't solder as fast as those connectors could be crimped. What takes so long in crimping them? The key is to use the right size ends for the wire your using and to use a decent crimping tool.

Don't cry about having to go buy a crimper. If your soldering you have to buy a decent soldering iron.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

The Man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2003, 09:42:47 am »
Well once I get the soldering iron nice and hot its quick.  I've never had to trace down a bad solder joint for cp that I've built.  I have on some comercial cp's, but after the beating they take its understadable.

Now if I could just quit crying long enough to find my crimper I could time myself. :)

Game On!
TM

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2003, 01:08:10 pm »
Well once I get the soldering iron nice and hot its quick.  I've never had to trace down a bad solder joint for cp that I've built.  I have on some comercial cp's, but after the beating they take its understadable.

Now if I could just quit crying long enough to find my crimper I could time myself. :)
What it comes down to is to use whichever will get you playing the game faster because few of us are here for the build. What we really want is the end result!
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

The Man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2003, 01:59:19 pm »
Agreed.  I can't solder at this point myself because I keep building test panels and changing things.  I've only been building and changing panels for two years! ;D  

As long as its been though, I'm glad I'm still moving things around.  I'm building changeable panels so I just build a new panel now and then.  I have yet to build anything permanent.

Game On!
TM

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2003, 02:39:31 pm »

yes... but is it easier to replace a microswitch if you use QD's?
What it comes down to is to use whichever will get you playing the game faster because few of us are here for the build. What we really want is the end result!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:27:28 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 02:57:44 pm »

My view on the subject is this:

Unless you are soldering only one wire per contact, you definitely want to use QD's.  Soldering two wires to one contact can be a real pain (literally) with all the twisting of wires, etc...

If you are using hacks for your CP, it becomes even more important.  One day you might decide to put a real keyboard encoder in there and then you would have to desolder your wires to remove them.  

You can trust me on this one, I just went through it with my cab.  I had the full gamut of hacks in there and switched it over for a KeyWiz encoder.  It took me twice as long to remove all the soldered wires as it did to replace them with the crimp connectors.  It would have taken me even less time if there wasn't solder all over the connectors making it harder to push the QD's on.

The $17 for a good ratcheting crimp tool is the best money youll ever spend, plus it's good for plenty of things other than control panels (electrical, automotive, etc.)

My .02  :)

RandyT

darkmanx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2003, 04:46:57 am
  • I want to Build My Own Arcade Controls!!
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 04:39:53 pm »
lmao @ quick disconnects taking longer. insert wire, crimp, clip on, done. its so easy...you would have to be a complete moron to screw up qd's.
WHELP! As if you knew what an eternity was. Grovel before your true master!

The Man

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 04:55:49 pm »
lmao @ quick disconnects taking longer. insert wire, crimp, clip on, done. its so easy...you would have to be a complete moron to screw up qd's.

Sounds like you speak from experience.  Did mommy take your soldering iorn away?  Sounds like someone needs a nap!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 06:49:15 pm by The Man »

Gopherboy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 04, 2003, 06:44:40 pm
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2003, 05:17:09 pm »

The $17 for a good ratcheting crimp tool is the best money youll ever spend......

Couldn't agree more - it is all about the quality of your crimping tool - a good quality, powerful crimper will make light work of the job. This could possibly be the most disliked part of making a control panel but with a good quality crimper it needn't be!

gb.