Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Affixing a CP Overlay with wrap-around  (Read 3590 times)

PlaneGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2009, 06:10:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Plane Guy's Great Escape
Affixing a CP Overlay with wrap-around
« on: October 18, 2005, 04:00:28 pm »
Sup all,

I'm making my 2nd arcade joystick and one of things I wanted to do was do was have just the overlay on the panel: no lexan, etc.

Now, included in "etc" is t-molding. I'd like to have the vinyl (that's the right stuff to use, right?) wrap around the edges so the top is a continuous surface. My main question is if this is a good idea. Would I encounter any problems trying to glue (or whatever) the overlay down where it wraps around? Is there a certain kind of material (different thickness vinyl or something) I should look into? Has anybody done it this way before?

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
Re: Affixing a CP Overlay with wrap-around
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2005, 06:04:33 pm »
Thin vinyl like the stuff from Happ should rap around a 90degree bend just about OK.  It is crucial to get a good surface to stick it to tho or else it will raise up...be particularly aware of end grain (eg in MDF).

Anything thicker (like control panel overlay) than that is probably a bad idea.

You didn't say the angle or if it is a curve you want to wrap it around so not sure if this is helpful...

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2005, 06:29:45 pm »
I have done this, to great effect. In addition to my printed control panel, I occasionally use cheap, off-the-shelf vinyl/pleather to cover my CPs. Here's some steps;

1. Go to fabric store, by cheap & supple vinyl
2. Use a hasp to slightly round off edges of your CP on all sides.
3. Make sure your holes are already drilled, any necessary mounting plates are installed
4. Cut vinyl to overlap CP on all sides by a few inches.
5. Lay vinyl face down
6. Spray a light-medium amount of glue or spray-adhesive to the underside of the vinyl
7. lay CP on the vinyl.
8. Wrap 1 side of the vinyl around the back / bottom of the CP. (make sure to fold the corners in.)
9. Staple that 1 side.
10. Grab opposite side of the vinyl, stretch slightly (warming it up with heatgun or hair dryer may help) wrap around front side, staple (make sure to fold the corners in).
11. Stretch ends slightly and wrap around to bottom of CP, fold corners in, staple (Make sure top is smooth, wrinkle free first)
12. Let glue drie.
13. Use new blade on x-acto knife to cut holes in vinyl... you can start with holes a bit smaller than they need to be... you can always cut more off, but you sure can't add more if it's gone.

The picture on the homepage of localarcade.com is a pic from one of my vinyl covered CPs.

more pics in my sig.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2005, 06:51:46 pm »

The picture on the homepage of localarcade.com is a pic from one of my vinyl covered CPs.

more pics in my sig.

Dude that is sweet! What did that cost you?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2005, 07:12:50 pm »
The vinyl? About 6 to 8 bucks... don't remember... it was like... $3.99 a yard, and I bought more than I needed for 1 cp. Cheap.

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2005, 08:35:02 pm »
How does it look on the underside? Got any pics of that? I'm not sure if that would work with my CP seeings as it overhangs the base.
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

PlaneGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2005, 11:47:36 pm »
How does it look on the underside? Got any pics of that? I'm not sure if that would work with my CP seeings as it overhangs the base.

Ditto....

Below you can see how I've got it set up. My idea is to wrap it around the end of the top part and underneath. So on the main box there's no vinyl at all.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2005, 12:25:17 am »
Not handy... when I get back in town, I'll take some shots.

If you can get a staple gun, or carpet tacks in a space, you can easily get the stuff absolutely locked in place. I suppose you could try JUST glue, but I like to do it the way upholsterers do it... staples first, glue second.

PlaneGuy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2005, 03:48:55 pm »
I like to do it the way upholsterers do it... staples first, glue second.
Okay you've lost me there. You put the glue on after the staples? On the staples? Are you stapling only to hold things while you glue?

edit - Almost forgot: I am planning to get an overlay printed by mamemarquees and they say that they also use vinyl. Is that different stuff? Are there any special considerations for it?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2005, 04:08:05 pm by PlaneGuy »

IG-88

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2005, 04:13:20 pm »
I think he meant too rely on the staples first and then the glue. And I apologize for jumpin' your post yesterday, just got excited
-HarumaN

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2005, 06:21:23 pm »
i'm kinda in the same boat here i think.  i'm getting an overlay (many) from mamemarquees and they do that textured plastic protection over the artwork.  can i bend it around a 100 degree corner if i use staples on the other side?  i've got removable panels, so i'd wrap it around the panel and staple on back.  would the textured stuff break at the corner?  i could ease the bend with some heat i guess...since it is plastic.

maybe someone should point some overlay manufacturers over here to give us answers for this. 

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2005, 07:46:10 pm »
i'm kinda in the same boat here i think.  i'm getting an overlay (many) from mamemarquees and they do that textured plastic protection over the artwork.  can i bend it around a 100 degree corner if i use staples on the other side?  i've got removable panels, so i'd wrap it around the panel and staple on back.  would the textured stuff break at the corner?  i could ease the bend with some heat i guess...since it is plastic.

It *probably* would, but personally I would prefer not to do that.

I suppose lightly scoring along the line to be bent would probably help, and it would probably work.  I think the overlay is a bit too hard to bend and get a perfect finish otherwise.

StormGiant

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 05, 2006, 08:51:03 pm
  • Only working on my cab since 0.69...
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2005, 08:37:44 pm »
I'm curious to know more about this (if there is anything else to know).  My CP is similar in shape to PlaneGuy but I rounded the edges with a roundover bit.  I'm also ordering the overlay from mamemarquees.  I'd rather have the overlay include the outer edges rather than just cover the "top" plane of the CP.

An alternative in this case might be to make the CP 4-sided (rather than 6) and round over the edges.  Then at least for the front the technique might be more in-line with an overlay for the old Williams games.  But I'm not speaking from experience, only from advice someone posted elsewhere.

Unless there's some "craft" technique I'm not aware of, the folded over parts of the overlay over the edge aren't going to look real good (I'm envisioning the sides of a wrapped present).

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2005, 09:26:33 pm »
I'm using a CPO from classicarcadegraphics, and it went around the edges of my control panels just fine. The front is rounded, the back and sides are all squared off.

Classicarcadegraphix & mamemarquees methods are similar. Ask scott at Mamemarquees... I'm sure he'll know.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006, 01:41:02 pm »
Here's those shots as promised.