Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Reorganize MP3 Collection  (Read 2011 times)

electricd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 05, 2011, 03:30:33 pm
  • I'm not a llama!
Reorganize MP3 Collection
« on: October 12, 2005, 05:47:59 pm »
Hello,

I am trying to reorganize my mp3 collection prior to the arrival of my new ipod video.  Currently I have songs thrown in folders by gender (ie, ROCK, RAP, DANCE, etc.)  What I would like to do is create a new folder for each artist, then under that folder have all the random songs.  Is there a program out there that will do this for me based on ID3 tag or file name or something?  I just don't want to do it by hand!  Thanks in advance!

ED7

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
Re: Reorganize MP3 Collection
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 05:51:24 pm »
I found that Mp3 Collector was pretty good.

http://www.collectorz.com/mp3/

If you have proper ID3 tags, you can sort them and drag and drop the files into folders. I used it to sort my collection...
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

shmokes

• Just think of all the suffering in this world that could have been avoided had I just been a little better informed. :)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2016, 06:50:42 pm
  • Don't tread on me.
    • Jake Moses
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 08:01:05 pm »
You'll be using iTunes anyway (I assume...it's not actually necessary anymore).  Just go into the preferences and checkmark the box that says, "Keep iTunes music folder organized".  It will place the song files into album and artist folders and name the files based on the disc number, track number and song title.

If you want it to leave your folder how it is (and have extra space on your hard drive) you can set up a new folder to be your iTunes music folder and go into the preferences and tell iTunes to "Copy files to iTunes music folder when adding files to library".  Then just click File --> Add Folder to Library -->  and point it to the folder where all your music currently resides.  iTunes will scan all the folders in there for music and will copy it all over to the new location and organize it for you.  This way if you don't like the way iTunes has organized it you can just delete all that new stuff and go back to the way you had it.
Check out my website for in-depth reviews of children's books, games, and educational apps for the iPad:

Best Kid iPad Apps

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 08:17:35 pm »
Ahh..that makes sense.  Can I use iTunes before getting the ipod?  Never used it before.  I use Napster now, is it similar (ie. pay per month and then per permanant download?)

Setabs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 03:03:23 pm
  • 100% MAME compatible.
    • Another Useless Webpage
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 10:53:09 pm »
iTunes is pay per song only I believe.  Napster's monthly service isn't going to work w/ the ipod.  I don't know how a dl'ed and bought mp3 from napster will work w/ the ipod.  Remember the only way to get music to the ipod is through itunes. The ipod also only works w/ 1 computer.  YOu can still use it as a removable HD i belive but you cant copy mp3 or music files unless you use itunes from your main computer.  The easy way around this is to rename the .mp3, .aac, etc.. extension.

I haven't had a chance to look at the video ipod I hope the picture is good enough to show quality video.  I also hope it makes the creative and archos release better cheaper products.

Jabba

• D-Hutt
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2020, 02:17:20 pm
  • I find your lack of faith...disturbing...
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2005, 09:39:53 am »
Sorry, forgot it was Ipod. Mp3Collector would be used on your collection BEFORE loading into IPod.

CAUTION: ITunes will re-arrange the files and create directories for you. I made the mistake of letting ITunes do this and ended up with 10 different folders for ACDC, AC/DC, AD-DC, acdc, each with 1 or 2 songs in them. This is because it used the ID3 tag, I then ended up having this many folders on thwe Ipod.

Anyways, you can use MP3Collector to update your ID3 tags as well. Hope this helps...
Vids:  Home built MAME machine, Crystal Castles. Arkanoid
Pins:   Williams Aztec (working). Stern Nugent (not working...yet), Williams Phoenix (major not working, missing parts.... )

Always on the lookout for buying 90's game with Ramps that need work...

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2005, 09:43:07 am »
you can still use DLed mp3s with an ipod. my friend has one he doesnt use any of those lame pay services. good old fashioned MIRC pirating
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2005, 09:46:12 am »
I have no problem paying for my mp3s (its the only way to get good quality music IMO).  So I will probably stick with Napster and just use I-Tunes to load the music I guess.  I am checking out MP3 Collector now to see if it will work for me.

Sephroth57

• Poo Monkey
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2020, 11:17:00 am
    • Check it out!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 09:55:43 am »
youve obviously never used BitTorrent, but ok keep paying =P
"Owens is the ringleader in the ass hat circus"  D K

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 10:03:38 am »
Oh I know all about it, but im not going to risk huge fines / possible jailtime for downloading music!

Setabs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 03:03:23 pm
  • 100% MAME compatible.
    • Another Useless Webpage
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 10:04:34 am »
I have no problem paying for my mp3s (its the only way to get good quality music IMO).  So I will probably stick with Napster and just use I-Tunes to load the music I guess.  I am checking out MP3 Collector now to see if it will work for me.

The only thing you should make sure of is that a .99cent song from napster that you buy will work on the ipod.  There might be some kind of drm on it, but I am not sure I have never bought music online.

Try ID3-TagIT3

I just reorganized 14 gigs of music w/ this.  I used RealPlayer and I decided to switch to iTunes and real had been saving everything in its proprietary tag format.  So half my music showed up in itunes w/o tags.  This program lets you make changes easier than itunes does.  You can select multiple songs at once to edit album name, band name, etc...  It also doesn't make changes to the folder until you save them so if you screw up it won't hurt anything.

electricd

• Offline Offline
  • I'm not a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 10:21:21 am »
I will give it a try.  I do know that after I purchase a song from Napster, it is unprotected (at least windows says it is).  I will report back!  Thanks!