Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Virtual Jukebox Version 3.0  (Read 13214 times)

VMJ Team

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2007, 09:29:50 am
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
Virtual Jukebox Version 3.0
« on: January 16, 2003, 03:39:04 pm »
Due to the overwhelming response for Virtual Jukebox, I will soon be releasing version 3.0...It will be a complete rewrite of version 2 to run faster and cleaner.  As more and more features have been added (from user requests), without extensive testing, new errors "bugs" have arisen.  Instead of devoting time into debugging and slapping a band-aid in the source code...I will be rewriting the program from the ground up encorporating all of the new features from a fresh perspective.  There will be new, cleaner option screens, plus several new features.  All existing users will (and always will) receive all program upgrades for free.  Just a head-ups...the registration fee will also probably go up for version 3 (so if you haven't registered already, get it now and get all upgrades free).   This is due partly for the release of a new version, but also...VJ will also be available in several different languages as well.

I have a compiled list of requested features that haven't even made it into the program yet (one of the reasons for the re-write)....Please use this forum to submit requested features for version 3 or send email to info@cybertechdesign.net.

Thanks for all your support!
Scott (CyberPunk)

PS.  I will be building a Jukebox similar to the one featured on my website www.mameroom.com.  It will be much slimmer that the current Virtual Jukebox cabinet design since it will be housing my PIII 800mhz laptop (I need a new one).  Before I build this thing and put it up on ebay, I thought I'd hold a silent auction here first.  If you may be interested, please let me know what you'd be willing to pay for the Jukebox by sending an email to info@cybertechdesign.net.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
Re:Virtual Jukebox Version 3.0
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2003, 03:58:35 pm »
Forgot to mention that some of the major features that I'm also hoping to encorporate into Version 3 are the promised Ripping and FREEDB access (Album track information) features...and I will probably add some kind of downloading services that will allow you to select and download album covers and lyrics directly from VJ.  I also hope to develop a feature that runs the first time you install VJ to scan your entire hard drive for all audio/video files and try to automatically organize them into the correct directory structure.  Lots of work going into this next release.

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 25, 2002, 12:44:20 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2003, 01:11:01 pm »
I can't wait Cyber! sounds great!
Just a note on the v2 version . I have about 400 albums on the sytem now and the search function doesn't seem to be able to handle this amount as it crashes after awile of seraching . With 30 albums it works fine .

Also just a note on the new v3 features: I downloaded the freeddb database the other day . This would be much better on the system rather than it going online to get the track names will that be possible?
The download is about 150 mb.

All the best
The GADGEY

Donor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 13, 2003, 10:00:50 pm
  • First you want to Kill me, now you want to Kiss me
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2003, 02:41:28 pm »
Cyber,

Could you added the option of taking away numbers on the control panel and make the random and skip buttions bigger. Can't wait for vb3!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2003, 04:03:13 pm »
All suggestions will be added...already got alot done.  I took away the option to preload all albums at start-up.  The program rewrite proves to be much faster in the new version without the delay and flicker in Version 2 (so really, there's no need to preload).  Also, Version3 will allow you to make changes on the fly (without having to close VJ and Restart).

Comments and  suggestions welcome.

enemyace

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2003, 01:23:43 pm
  • You repo men, you're all out to @!$#in' lunch!
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2003, 05:28:34 pm »
I haven't tried out VJ yet, but I was wondering, is it skinnable? If not, are there plans to make it so?

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2003, 07:32:00 pm
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2003, 07:21:53 pm »
I am just over 30 albums today and notice alot of Bugs cropping up. It seems alot of the albums over 30 that I added wierd things are happening like it only playing certain songs from the album. Or some of the albums simply will not play they load up the songs but then as its playing there is no sound. There are whole albums like this and others are hit and miss with songs. Any Ideas?  The MP3 file is ok because they are playing in Media Player. I'm hoping the basic look will stay the same with 3.0 because I bought based on the look.

DZuroff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 05, 2019, 10:36:44 pm
  • . . . A wizard arrives precisely when he means to.
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2003, 10:03:13 pm »
I encoutered a problem recently so I figured this would probably be a good time to bring it up.  I have close to 1,000 albums (960 to be exact - Don't ask.  I started small and it got out of hand  LOL) and when I try to add all albums to the music library I get the error:

"Run Time Error '35600'
Index Out Of Bounds

Also, for some reason (not sure why) even though I have 960 albums, VJ would number the later albums in the library past 1,000.  When I would try to select a song from album 1,000 for example it would not accept the input because VJ only allows a 5 digit input.  Album Number 1,000 and Song number 10 = 6 digits.  

yomero2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2004, 02:28:49 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 01:51:34 am »
Same problem but only have 700 albums

"Run Time Error '35600'
Index Out Of Bounds

add 300 albums at a time and mo prob  ;)

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2003, 11:23:19 am »
Version 2 is currently skinnable...I plan to have version 3 skinnable as well.  As for the run-time errors...that is one reason I am eliminating the pre-load albums option.  When preloading albums...the program creates seperate controls for each album...when the maximum number of controls is reached in VB, a run-time error occurs...I will hopfully have a beta of 3 (minus new features) for testing in a couple of days....for anyone who wants to play with it.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2003, 01:36:15 pm »
Any Idea on the problem I'm having playing songs off od albums over the 30th? I've ripped my MP3's using CD-EX and they play fine elsewhere. The song will load up but no volume

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2003, 07:04:11 pm »
What is the bitrate of your rip?  I found that 256K songs would not play.  Reduced the bitrate and they played fine.  Apparently due to a problem in the MS OCX or something. May already be fixed or probably fix in 3.0

BobA

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2003, 01:06:36 am »
Yeppers ripping at 256bits. I hope it get fixed I think this is the best compromise of Sound and size... Wierd how some play and others don't.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2003, 01:19:48 am »
BobA you were right on the Money I converted one of the songs that did not work to 192bits and it worked fine. I wonder if I should do the same for the rest. I used to rip at 192 but since the sound of the audigy 2 board is so good I thought recording at a higher bit rate would truly make a difference.

Fat-Johnny

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2023, 09:23:33 am
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2003, 08:38:20 am »
I will hopfully have a beta of 3 (minus new features) for testing in a couple of days....for anyone who wants to play with it.

I'd love to beta test, let me know.

Another request/bugfix for 3.0:  Some people try to hold down the keyboard arrow to make it scroll faster.  Not only does it not scroll faster, it messes up the program (half pictures show up, or one side will no longer scroll).  Could you fix that??  Maybe even MAKE it scroll faster if the button is held??  Just a thought.

Thanks,
Fat Johnny

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2003, 08:45:08 am »
Also about the load all albums at startup. I notice when you don't during the scroll all the text winks out for a sec, it looks alot smoother when the albums are loaded, now it might be my processor a PIII 750, but it definately looks better when loaded

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2003, 12:22:16 pm »
I would wait to see what V3 does before converting.  

BobA

BobA you were right on the Money I converted one of the songs that did not work to 192bits and it worked fine. I wonder if I should do the same for the rest. I used to rip at 192 but since the sound of the audigy 2 board is so good I thought recording at a higher bit rate would truly make a difference.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2003, 01:20:02 pm »
After listening between 192k and 256k I decided to convert. I DJ'd out with 192k files powered thru a pretty decent system and they sound fine. I then compared a few songs in bot formats and decided that 192bit files are the way to go. They still sound good and I'll save quite a bit of space.

planetjay

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2019, 10:50:57 pm
  • Ex-Evil Admin Monkey.
    • planetjay.com
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2003, 07:26:48 pm »
You might hear some difference on the highs if the song has alot of sustained highs. For instance, if a song has a long cymbal crash, you may hear what sounds like phase shifting. I could have sent you an example of it happening at 192 and not happening at 320. But I deleted it. You hear it alot below 128, sometimes at 128, but rarely at 192. If you encode something VBR and the maxrate goes real high then that is one to sample higher.

As for me... I still do everything 128 for me. And things I download that are over 192 are downsampled to 192. If I download a whole cd and find different bitrates for different songs I downsample all to the lowest as long as the lowest is atleast 128. I usually normalize them to 100% too. Since I rarely listen with headphones anymore I never hear the difference.
planetjay.com. Still in Chicago. Still no hurricanes!

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2003, 08:58:38 am »
Suggestion for VJ3 :

It would be great if it could play Karaoke tracks like with WINAMP and the Karaoke plugin.  I don't remember seeing a plugin for windows media player but I could be wrong .Anyway if it could play karaoke tracks it would be way out there!!

Keep up the great work my friend.

^^RaVeN^^

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2003, 08:24:06 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2003, 06:18:20 pm »
In VJ3 I'd like to see an option for logging songs played with time stamp (as long as it doesn't put undo load on the program)...I love to beta test.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2003, 11:59:19 am »
Sure can...Version 3 updates:

Many, many new features added (I will release a complete list shortly)...Just to let everyone know what they can expect so far:

1) The short screen flicker when scrolling left or right is fixed.
2)  V3 uses about half the system resources as 2...so I'm assuming there will be better performance on slower machines.
3)  There will be an Arcade navigation mode.  This will allow VJ to be installed in an arcade machine using the joystick, trackball, buttons, etc.
4)  On-line library of album covers which will can be downloaded directly from VJ...not sure if this will be in V3 or a future release.

Anyways, Thanks again for all the support...There are at least 10-15 other new features per request...I'll get back with more info soon.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2003, 12:45:16 pm »
Hey Scott, If you have removed the ability to load all covers on Startup will we still get the blinking on the albums when it loads the next page covers? It was smooth when the covers were loaded, only the slightest blink that you said you removed.

I'm curious about the online covers thing. How will this work? I think you have to be careful about having Audio covers on the net now. Most sites that had audio covers had been harrassed by the RIAA to remove them.

I think the best new feature would be the program scanning the HD and adding the albums if the directories follow the correct structure.

Look forward to testing what you come up with.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2003, 12:50:26 pm »
The album covers do not blink, hesitate or anything...the screen looks like all of the albums are preloaded...at least on my two test machines...I even tried it on my laptop (8 megs video), and it still looks smooth.

As for the album covers...I'd have to review the possible implications...now that you brought it up.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2003, 02:18:37 pm »
Yeah I'd double check that it's a very touchy situation with the RIAA right now. I'm sure as DVD Burners become more prevelent DVD artwork will be next. Great to hear about the albums being rock steady. I Look forward to trying out 3.0

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2003, 02:47:55 pm »
I've got Version 3 almost ready for beta testing...I don't have the new major features implemented yet (CD ripping, FREEDB access, etc)...but I've rewritten the entire program to make it run cleaner....Don't know how many people are going to be affected by this, but Version 3 is limited to 999 albums (otherwise, the 5-digit code will have to turn into a 6-digit code).  I'd like to get a feel for how many users actually have over 999 albums, so I know whether or not this will be an issue....

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2003, 02:57:23 pm »
Yeah it definately would affect me as I plan on putting in about 2000 discs. In fact I registered it because of the Unlimited Album claim. So if this number dropped to 999 I would'nt be too happy. I Would imagine alot of users have large CD Collections so 6 digits would be warranted

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2003, 02:58:49 pm »
Can't have unhappy customers...I'm on it!

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2003, 03:10:59 pm »
Do to popular request, here's a list of NEW features in Version 3:

Completed and ready for beta testing:
1) Option to always show album titles (on top of cover)
2) Option to always show artist name (on top of cover)
3) Option to display lyrics in album cover area
4) Option to display lyrics in left half of screen
5) Option to display lyrics full screen
6) Option to display videos in album cover area
7) Option to display videos full screen
8) Replaced exit mode with 5-digit selection code
9) Replaced shut down mode with 5-digit selection code
10) Currently 999 album limit (will be bumped up to 9999)
11) Removed preload feature (enhanced current load method)
12) Added tooltips to settings screen for option descriptions
13) Added feature for touch screen users to select all albums (click on cover in interactive mode)
14) Option to turn off system prompt (Yes or No dialog boxes).
15) Holding down the left or right slid buttons will make the albums scroll at double speed.
16) Redesigned the settings screen to seperate program functions.
17) Allow for "on-the-fly" changes..do not have to restart after making setting changes.
18) Removed the "Scheme" feature.
19) Fixed resizing problem (doesn't need to reload albums)
20) Still working on more feature request received today....

Still needs to be implemented:
1) CD ripping utility
2) FREEDB access
3) Splash screen
4) Visualization plugin (???, might be version 4)
5) Equalizer (???, might be version 4)
6) Arcade navigation mode (use VJ in arcade cabinet)
7) Playlist features
8) Remember screen position (had to remove due to resizing problem)
9) Option for making function buttons bigger
10) On-line library (???, might be version 4)
11) Allow for 9999-unlimited albums.

Please provide feedback, suggestions...
thanks.

info@cybertechdesign.net

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2003, 03:31:43 pm »
Scott I'll throw it on the system and test if you want to send it to me at:

david.scarpa@verizon.net

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2003, 03:36:06 pm »
Scott will the ability to scan for albums on the Hard drive be iplemented

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2003, 03:53:21 pm »
Wow!!  What a list.  New features will keep beta testers busy for sure. Would stay away from any online covers right now. Most sites are quickly disappearing.

Looking forward to the release.

BobA

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2003, 04:59:25 pm »
While the CD Ripping utility would be nice I'd still probably stay with CD-EX it's allaround the best utility of its kind. Would your ripper be lame based?

amsTaTic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2004, 02:09:34 am
  • ---display unending love for my bottom---!
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2003, 06:03:59 pm »
Looking good, I can't wait for VJ3!

All the fixes/requests I would have asked for are being addressed. The only thing I would like to see in a future version would be the ability to select albums from more than one location, (i.e., two different folders, or two different hard drives), when building a library....  8)

aes_ebu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2003, 01:09:21 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2003, 09:33:49 pm »
My only request is that it would work with WINE under Linux. Perhaps the new version will, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

thegadgey

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2003, 06:08:31 am »
Cyber will the search function work in the new version ? with 400 albums in the old version it crashed every time . Also I think the Karaoke thing would be a great feature . Currently I encode the txt and mp3 into an avi or mpg and let VJ play that .The problem with that is the files are about 50 megs each . I have about 2 thousand tracks to load on ....

Thanks for the gerat work.

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2003, 08:00:48 am »
Okay, due to people having more than 999 albums...A new feature was inspired....Version 3 now supports 9999 albums (anyone have more than 10,000 albums?):

The new feature determines how many albums are in the selected music library and bases the music selection upon this number:

For Example:

1-9 albums:  Maximum selection code is 3-digits
10-99 albums:  Maximum selection code is 4-digits
100-999 albums:  Maximum selection code is 5-digits
1000-9999 albums:  Maximum selection code is 6-digits

The album numbers will also be displayed based on this feature.
I have been testing the program as hard as I can...I'll be ready to unleash a beta for everyone to play with.  Registered users will, however, have to email me with the serial number VJ spits out at startup.  The new security code (registration code) is based on a per machine basis, not software installation...I know it sux, but once you do this, you won't have to do it again for future updates.

BTW-I personally have around 250 albums (mine, my wifes, and daughters)...so to test, I copied all albums and tracks two more times to test the program with around 750 albums...fast, clean, NO FLICKER at all, no hesitation....works great!

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2003, 10:03:29 am »
This sounds great cannot wait to test. So the serial that came with the registration will not work on this new version?

Also will version 3.0 recognize the library that's already been created?

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2003, 12:57:53 pm »
Version 3 WILL recognize your current library.  The new serial will not work.  The new version is machine dependent...meaning, it can only be installed on one machine.  The registration code is generated based on the serial number of the current windows OS...if you upgrade to a newer Windows version (or older), you'll have to submit another serial for a new code...Since each serial number is distinctive of each OS...it will be fairly easy to determine if there was an OS upgrade or if installing on a different machine.  If you CURRENTLY have VJ installed on more than one machine, I will of course honor your existing registration and support this, this new system is primarily for new registered users and the new software licensing will be per operating system and not user.

I hate to impliment all this security, but check this out (Sometimes I wonder what goes through people's heads).  I received an email the other day:  It appears that someone was given a copy of VJ from a friend...when they couldn't get the registration code to work...they actually sent me an email explaning their problem and asked for my help in getting their code and pirated copy to work.  

Anyways, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the support and development of VJ.  Alot of work has gone into making this program everything that has been suggested.  Version 3 beta will be available TOMORROW (1/23) for download.  The beta will still be minus some major features such as ripping (It's been suggested to exclude this feature due to the free utilities already out there)...please give me your feeback.

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2003, 01:12:58 pm »
While Ripping would be a convienience I'd rather have other features implemented or worked on first. There are so many good ripping utiities available it really isn't a huge deal. So once I download and install the beta it is going to give me a number which I will email back to you and you will email me a new code I think I have that right.

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2003, 01:21:57 pm »
I have a ripping utility that works just fine.  I don't see a need to add it to VJB.  That way you can focus develpment on VJB operational features and not get too far away from the basic program.

BobA

amsTaTic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2004, 02:09:34 am
  • ---display unending love for my bottom---!
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2003, 05:31:36 pm »
I have a ripping utility that works just fine.  I don't see a need to add it to VJB.  That way you can focus develpment on VJB operational features and not get too far away from the basic program.

BobA

Ditto  ;D

I do have one question though, concerning the new licensing. I have just begun to play around with the idea of building a jukebox for my game room. I have scrapped together some older computer equipment to get it started, but I will probably upgrade to better equipment/OS in the very near future. In fact, I just ordered some of it today. Will there be a problem when I go to re-install VJ on the new system? Or will I be able to get a new license without a hassle?

TIA

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2003, 08:42:30 pm »
I'm wondering the same thing - I have a registration code now.  I plan to build a jukebox sometime in the near future.  I'd like to get the program configured and running on one of my current PCs.  When construction is complete, I will most likely put another PC in the jukebox with my existing harddrive containing all of my music and covers.  I would reload the PC with the bare minimum Win98 load and then install VJB, pointing to all my config files/music on the music harddrive.

Will this work, or will we need to contact you in these circumstances?

VMJ Team

• Offline Offline
    • Virtual Music Jukebox
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2003, 08:51:42 pm »
The new security measures are only too prevent pirating...simply submit the new serial and I'll give you a registration code.  I'm not trying to track every time the software is installed....I'd support a copy of VJ on every computer that you own "Personally"...now if someone is requesting a new reg code every other day...there's something going on there (that's what I'm trying to prevent).

Testing update:  I'm running VJ through the works to catch as many bugs as I can so the beta version will be close to release...so far, I have only found one and fix it...search mode.  Here's how the new search mode works:  The first time you do a search, VJ needs to load all of the album and track info into a text file (this is what slowed down album loading in version 2).  Once album info is loaded into the search text...VJ will store the text until the program is shut down, or until a different music library is selected.  I've added a progress bar to the loading operation.  So far so good...still looking at a tomorrow (1/22) beta release.

JLR2000

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2021, 02:49:16 pm
  • There is NO Sanctuary...
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2003, 08:54:00 pm »
Thanks Cyber....that's kinda what I figured-

Looking forward to the next version......and getting my Jukebox project started some day.... ;)
« Last Edit: January 22, 2003, 08:54:32 pm by JLR2000 »