Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Howdy All  (Read 3277 times)

Scarpad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 23, 2003, 07:32:00 pm
  • Swing Baby
Howdy All
« on: January 15, 2003, 11:10:54 am »
I just discovered and Registered this great software (Virtual PC) I'm in the process of loading my 2000 CD's onto a 200GB HD. I have'nt decided on whether I'll build a cabinet or not I Have a home Theater and I do want the most impressive look, right now I Have a stand and a 17" monitor. I do have a 15" Sony LCD Monitor I could use if I want to build one. I'm looking for suggestions on scanning covers, buying contols and keypads and any other things you guys can suggest. I'm running the software on a PIII 750 with 256ram on WinXP.

Look forward to some good discussions

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re:Howdy All
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2003, 01:31:04 pm »
If you check the threads you will find an IR control that does a great job when paired with the software program girder to control Virtual JB.

I am building a PC with VJB into a homebuilt jukebox cab so I will be using a keypad (PC) for the controls.  I looked at separate switches from Happs and an IPAC or keyboard hack but decided the keypad would be much cheaper.  Scott put in a feature so you can tell from the display if the keypad is in numlock.  This was because some standalone keypads do not have the LED to indicate this.  The keypad is only a backup as the IR control will probably be used most of the time.  Girder allows a wide range of IR controls to be used.

As for covers... I usually try to find it on Amazon or another sales site but will scan it myself if I cannot find a good album pic.

It is your choice whether or not to build a jukebox cab or put the PC in a multimedia case to match your home theater.  If you have a LCD already the cab on the VJB site is very impressive for a standalone unit.

Good Luck

BobA

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2003, 02:13:10 pm »
Hey Bob , thanks for the reply. I Have a Flat Panel Monitor as opposed to an LCD Screen I think the cabinet on the site uses an LCD Flat panel. Not Sure thou. I'm really undecided about a babinet I was thinking about building it into a wall in my HT. So that the monitor would be on a shelf was some sort of moulding around it.  Do you have a good source for a Keypad? I found one for $10 on Tigerdirect but they want $10 to ship the thing ! Is this girder you speak of shareware? And do you have any links to working IR's for it?

Are you sending your ouput to your home system or to a standalone Speaker system? I Had an extra Audigy 2 card so I used that in the system, it really is a good sounding card. And I'm reencoding all my CD's to 192bit since my collection was all over the place.

Thanks  for the answers

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2003, 02:39:53 pm »
The original thread had links to the IR remote and Girder (shareware).

http://www.arcadecontrols.org/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=3651

I don't think that the original IR remote in the thread is shown on the website any more.  There are always other remotes on eBay. This one in particular is always for sale.  Seller must have lots of them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=170&item=2087828006

I bought my keypad at a local computer store for $30 Cdn which is about $18 US.

I will be using a standalone PC type speaker system as they are already shielded and will not bother the monitor.

BobA

Scarpad

• Offline Offline
  • Swing Baby
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2003, 03:17:23 pm »
A Powered type of Speaker?

BobA

• Offline Offline
  • What Me Worry?
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2003, 06:05:18 pm »
Definately powered, with a subwoofer.  Model depends on what is on sale around here at the end of the month.

BobA