Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Does WG drain monitors before shipping?  (Read 4696 times)

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
Does WG drain monitors before shipping?
« on: April 23, 2002, 02:01:52 pm »
Does Wells Gardner drain monitors before shipping?  I probably am not going to have the tools to do this myself, and I need to know if it's safe to work with these right out of the box, or if I need to take certain precautions.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 pm by 1026619200 »

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

BobA

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 11, 2018, 09:52:14 pm
  • What Me Worry?
Re: Does WG drain monitors before shipping?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2002, 06:14:55 pm »
I think the SAFE thing to do is discharge the monitor no matter how it was shipped to you.   Even a discharged monitor can build up a charge if it has been sitting around for a while and not been plugged in.  You can  discharge the monitor with a screw driver and ground wire.  This is recommended because you never know what will bite you if you don't do it.

I worked on equipment that was shipped with a grounding wire but this ended up causing more damage then good when some people did not read all the directions before plugging it in.

Just My Opinion

Bob

1UP

• Token Junkie
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2014, 01:37:18 am
  • Yes, that is a joystick in my pocket.
    • 1UPArcade
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2002, 06:55:14 pm »
Gotcha.  Dammit, I'm down to the most expensive and dangerous part of my cabinet now...

Free resource for building your own rotating control panels!

My other job...

Frobozz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2002, 03:16:45 am
  • I've been sane, but then I got better.
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2002, 01:57:54 pm »
No, they are NOT discharged.  They are tested before shipped and sent as is I believe.  When I discharged mine, I heard an audible "pop" when I discharged it.  

Discharging a new WG is a little tricky too.  The anode boot is on very tightly.  I took the time to discharge it once, but have since powered it and worked with it.  Since it's a horizontal mount and sits in a box of wood I made for it with a large circular wooden disc at the bezel and a wooden backstop at the rear attached to the lazy-susan bearing, there is very little chance of contact now with the remaining "open" side", and I've worked with it essentially "charged" now for a few weeks.  

Is it a universal mount or a horizontal?  

Andy Warne

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2002, 04:43:50 pm »
I've said this here before but...
It is a common (and dangerous) misunderstanding that monitors must be discharged before working on them. This is simply WRONG! Monitor techs do not do this. I know because I used to be one!
The charge on a CRT tube can only bite you if you touch the final anode contact, and the only way you can do that is if you are separating the tube from the flyback and PCB for any reason. If you are handling the monitor it is impossible to touch this and the EHT voltage is not present on the PCB. It's only inside the tube and the tripler circuit in the flyback, all completely enclosed in plastic. There are, however, other capacitors which can give you a belt, on the PCB itself. These are not discharged even if you discharge the tube so never handle a monitor immediately after it has been powered off.
There is no more reason to discharge a tube than a car mechanic would drain a car fuel tank when working on an engine. Discharging a tube is dangerous, don't do it unless you have good reason!