Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Printing Control Panel to scale on multi sheets??  (Read 8489 times)

jopenner

• Trade Count: (0)
Printing Control Panel to scale on multi sheets??
« on: October 02, 2005, 09:52:44 am »
Hi,

I have entered the amazing world of Adobe Photoshop and have been learning to use it for the past month.  I have completed my design, which I have sent of to Mame Marquees for printing.  During the process, I created another layer that uses John St. Clair's cutout templates from his CD/Book.  I have saved this layer all be itself and have named it "drilling pattern".  While my graphic design is off at the printers, I would like to print out the drilling pattern on my standard inkjet printer so that I can start work on my panel.
Is there a way for me to have the image print out to multiple sheets of 8 1/2" x 11" (to scale) so that I can tape them together and use them for my layout?
Thank you in advance for your assistance. :)

John

jopenner

Re: Printing Control Panel to scale on multi sheets??
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 10:38:41 am »
To clarify, all I want to do is print my drilling template out in grey scale.  Will Adobe Photoshop 7.0 print my 38" x 17" image out on mulitple 8 1/2" x 11" sheets of paper?
Thanks.

John

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 10:59:39 am »
You should wait until your CPO returns from Mamemarquees.

When you get it, lightly tape it down for a bit and use it to drill 1/4" pilot holes in the exact places that you will need for the final holes you need to drill. If you try to cut first and apply later... it usually meets with mixed results.

For instance.. if you are drilling button holes... you don't need a template, just the position and a correctly sized bit... same with the joysticks. You drill the pilot holes, then come back later and use the 1 1/8" bit, using the pilot holes for centering. If you are drilling a trackball, use the CP to drill a pilot hole in the direct center... then print a template that shows the where the center of the trackball will be, and overlay that over the pilot hole.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 08:22:47 pm »
I would have to concur with Mahuti.

Printing out something can be hit and miss. Some laser & inkjet printers do not keep everything in the exact scale. I have seen things be the perfectly correct size horizontally but then be off 1/8" vertically...or vice versa.

I would wait until you get your overlay back and follow Mahuti's instructions to keep from having to do things over and over again.

jopenner

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 10:28:52 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.  I am already one step ahead of you.  I have no holes on my finished graphic image as I was concerned about the holes not lining up etc.
I like the idea of drilling smaller holes as reference points.
This still brings me to the same question of whether or not Photshop can print a larger image out onto smaller sheets. ???
Thanks again for your assistance.

John

dfmaverick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2016, 11:17:27 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2005, 11:15:47 pm »
I guess I may have missed what you are trying to accomplish. I any case, you could do the same as Spystyle in this tutorial. The instructions should translate to most programs.

http://spystyle.arcadecontrols.com/index6.htm

Otherwise, there may be something like tiling in your print options. if that is available, try that. That will print out sections to fit the paper and leave areas that overlap to give you the full image. Not sure if that is available in the program you are using.

There could also be an option for printing a banner. Try the Help lookup for tiling or banner, that may help.

Otherwise, spystyle's use of the grid, snapping to the grid a selection box and cutting out grid pieces and pasting them as a new page so that you can print and combine all later should work if you can't figure out a way to print out it all as one package.

This all sounds a bit jumbled, but there may be some help in there somewhere.

daywane

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2022, 07:18:07 am
  • GRRRR!
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 11:27:28 pm »
link not working

joelea

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 28, 2011, 03:38:13 am
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 06:18:19 pm »
http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/

This will help you print to multiple sheets.