Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Flush Mounting a Happ's 3" Trackball??  (Read 3265 times)

jopenner

• Trade Count: (0)
Flush Mounting a Happ's 3" Trackball??
« on: September 30, 2005, 01:31:55 pm »
Hi All,

I am looking at fabricating my control panel out of 5/8" MDF and then apply a custom made graphic image from Mame Marquees to make it look beautiful and then touch it off with an 1/8" sheet of lexan or plexiglass.  I don't want to touch off a plexiglass debate, however, my question is, how do I flush mount my Happ's 3" trackball, so that all the ball itself is the only part of the trackball exposed above the graphic image and plexiglass layer.  I am also concerned about sharp edges on the plexiglass around the trackball.  I have not received my trackball yet, but was wondering if it comes with a sleeve that will hide the nasty edges of the plexiglass.
Does anyone have any ideas for this?
Thanks.

John

Abomination

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2023, 11:18:15 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: Flush Mounting a Happ's 3" Trackball??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2005, 01:51:34 pm »
You need to use a router to flush mount the trackball mounting plate, probably the easiest way.  As far as the sharp edges of the plexiglass, round it a bit with a dremel/sandpaper and flame polish the edges. 

u_rebelscum

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2010, 03:06:26 pm
  • You rebel scum
    • Mame:Analog+
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 02:52:06 pm »
As Abomination said, I'd go with getting a mounting kit, routing 1/16 of an inch (the thickness of the mounting plate) under the art.

As to "all of the ball and only the ball showing", that's harder.  The trackballs have that black "lip" around the ball; this is designed to be level with the top of the CP.  If you cover the lip, especially with the art and plexi over it, you are going to "lose" that much of the ball. 

If, OTOH, you have the "high lip", aka "golden tee" TB, it is designed to have the 1/16" mounting plate + 1/8" plexi over it, with the top of the lip level with the top of the plexi.  You'll have a black "tube" around the ball sticking through the plexi.  With the lip around the ball, you won't need to round the plexi at all, just sand the jaggies (if the 3" hole in the plexi is perfectly round).

The third option is if you have happs "high ball" model (IMO, yuck).  This model can have the lip covered with art + plexi and have enough ball over the plexi not to feel like it's buried, but IMO the ball jumps off the rollers too easily for me to use effectively.  (Others love this ball, though.)

Here's an old image showing how much ball would show above the 1/8" plexi:
Robin
Knowledge is Power

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2005, 05:49:38 pm »
One other thing about the plexiglass...I would use sandpaper if I were you to smooth the edges as opposed to a dremel.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2005, 05:52:17 pm by ahofle »

rdagger

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2005, 08:05:17 pm »
Here is a link to how I did it.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2006, 01:04:36 pm by rdagger »