Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Accident At Work - Lesson to Everyone  (Read 95903 times)

sodapopinski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 12, 2011, 11:13:41 am
  • if I only had normal friends
Re: Accident At Work - Lesson to Everyone
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2006, 02:25:36 pm »
Sorry to hear man. Its good see recovery though. I've been working in carpentry for 4 years now and I've learned using the tools fast and pissed off is a bad combo. I ran a piece  of mdf through the table saw very quickly the other day while pissed off. I never checked to see if the fence was clipped on square and i got huge kickback. Shredded my arm up good and gouged my thumb. wasn't as bad as your injury, but i learned from it.
best regards,
            Pete

Mark70

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 19, 2011, 11:22:49 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:43 pm »
I'm pretty damn late reading this one.  I'm really sorry to hear about your accident.  I know you can recover.  My uncle had a snowmobile accident where he smashed the middle bone in his middle finger.  They said they could replace it with nylon bone and he'd have about 20% movement in the finger.  He said, "cut it the F off".  He's still one of the more hany guys I know.  He even makes jokes like, playing hide and seek with his young son, he's told "no peeking", so he covers his eyes with his hand.... of course there's a gap to look through.  It's funnier in person.

I used to work doing hot asphalt roofing.  Asphalt is heated to 490 degrees F for application.  The guys on the crew used to say, "the day that you stop being afraid of that black stuff (they used a more explicative term) is the day you need to quit, 'cause it will hurt you, or kill you."

Same goes for power tools.

I wasn't sure, did you loose your index finger and damage the middle finger?  I was wondering why the middle one was pinned.

Oh, and the television series American Inventor recently showcased a contestant who lost his index finger.  Maybe inspiriational.
... arcade builders could someday rule the world...currency would be reduced to quarters only, and wars would be settled

PCtech

• BYAOC is kinda like methadone
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 07, 2019, 09:58:57 am
  • If the magic smoke gets out, it won't work again!
« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2006, 09:16:40 am »
5) Play any arcade game requiring two hands.

Only Pac & Ms. pac for you!

Good luck, hope the recovery goes well :cheers:
Example of what NOT to say at BYOAC
"a working adult playing a video game - pathetic" - freddykruger666

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »
this can be move in the woodworking section...

ps: after few months how is your hand ? :-\ much better ? i really hope ...

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2006, 12:22:24 pm »
Wow I just read this thread and it's a great reminder to ALWAYS be careful when working with power tools.  A few months ago I needed a little more depth on a router bit to make a cut so instead of buying an extender of some kind I just put the bit 1/2 way in.  As soon as I turned the router on the bit went flying and could have seriously injured someone.  Thank God it went flying away from my body.  I triple check everything now and always remember to have two hands on a power tool at all times.  It's very scary.

I hope you are still recovering well.

erictrumpet

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2016, 11:59:23 am
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2006, 04:34:18 pm »
Thanks for sharing and get well soon! It's true power tools are deadly. You are a pro but most of us are just dorks cutting wood for our MAME cabs in the garage with a beer in one hand. As this thread shows even an experienced pro can make a costly oopsie. Be careful everybody!

Eric.

NightGod

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2006, 10:25:35 pm »
This thread has definately done wonders for my caution level when working with power tools. Nothing stays plugged in any longer than nessicary and I *ALWAYS* do a two-handed grip on stuff I'm working on now.

My condolences for your pain, but thanks for saving alot of us the potential for a similar accident.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2006, 01:49:56 pm »
When I use my cordless Black-n-Decker multi-tool's saw attachment, I *always* pull the battery first before installing the saw, and always pull the battery as soon as I'm done. These warnings have made me duely paranoid :)
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #48 on: August 30, 2006, 02:00:01 pm »

Heh... that's just common sense.  I always unplug a tool whenever I'm going to change settings or blades.

Bigun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 15, 2007, 08:35:33 am
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2006, 04:35:32 pm »
http://www.sawstop.com

Watch the hot-dog demo.  If I *ever* get a tablesaw, it will be this one.

fuadramsey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 17, 2008, 12:12:02 pm
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 03:46:59 pm »
I know what you mean and that's why they are called accidents.

I am a pretty safe builder and I also work on rc planes so I am very familiar with CA glue (super glue). Well one day I was using it to glue some plastic together and the piece did not mate up well. I squeezed the pieces together and they snapped shut and squirted some glue right into my eye. I wear hard contact lenses so I was very scared the lens would glue to my eye so I rushed upstairs and luckly was able to pull the contact lens out. THe lens was pretty much ruined (as CA melts some materials).

Hours later I had a flush device attached to my eyeball at the hospital and had to see another doctor. The bottom line is always try to be as safe as possible because you never know when something stupid like this will happen.

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2007, 06:37:32 am »
I don't think I want to go back to my workshop this weekend! I know I tend to get impatient and cut corners... As many have said, this is a timely reminder to put that little bit more thought into safety to stop you spending a lifetime regretting that you didn't.

I'm impressed at your positivity in light of the situation, and on a forum like this full of (often times) amateurs using powerful tools... I think your post will (if not already) have saved many more accidents from occurring.

tk375

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2008, 01:52:18 pm
  • Know what is right and wrong.
« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2008, 02:54:38 am »
I just bought a porter cable router and I was amazed on how strong it was. I am sorry to read what happened to you and I thank you for the advice. I am new at this and I will be using my router for the first time, and all this tips can help newbies like me prevent accidents. thanks again for posting this lesson to everyone.
TK375 Why aren't you at your post? "He is building an arcade sir."

hello21

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2008, 09:18:50 am
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2008, 09:18:50 am »
it is beautiful leaaon but you can put photo with explain

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2009, 11:10:23 pm »
So is Toolaa doing ok now? I know its been along time. Just wanted to know.

MFfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2021, 11:44:44 pm
« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2009, 11:28:21 am »
wow, that was tough :o

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:49 pm »
Heres to a speedy recovery.

I try to be safe but frequently end up rushing through things and not putting on my goggles and things like that

I used to be the same until I had a dremel disc come apart on me once sending fragments flying into my face, they were that hot one of them actually stuck to my lip and left a blister for 2 weeks. Fortunately I had my put my safety glasses on 30 seconds before, now I wear them permanently when I'm working with power tools.

I cant stress this enough. People hear it all the time and still dont do it. A good way to put it is this.

A stone on a grinder is nothing but glued together sand really.

anybody whose ever seen a grinder stone explode would definately think twice. its like rocks pounding you all over. a dremel cutting disk is much smaller, is made out of the same stuff and is running at a much higher Rpm.

mvsfan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2009, 07:53:38 pm »
Oh, one thing i definately do is that i have a lot of Table tools. A handheld router can get you in trouble quick when it binds. when you have a piece of work like the side of an arcade cabinet to cut the groove for t molding then, the hand router is required.

whatever you do, dont take anybodys suggestion to try and cut t molding grooves with a Dremel. their is such a thing as the right tool for the right job. The Most accidents involving power tools besides alcohol and/or carlessness happen because someone is trying to use a tool for the wrong job.

I had a close call once i was using a 3/4 ton floor jack to lift an empty tool shed we moved from our old house up so we could set blocks under it and i had seen my buddy do it before.

what i didnt notice is that he had a 6 ton Jack. i found that out from him later when i called him to see what went wrong.

i set 3 blocks under it and as i was jacking up the fourth one the seals in the jack gave up the ghost and the shed came crashing down.

thecheat

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2009, 11:58:55 am
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2009, 01:17:58 pm »
That must have been a HEAVY shed if it blew out a 1500 pound jack!

Regarding the dremel disks, I'm surprised I haven't caught one in my face yet. They are so brittle that I usually break one in half prior to even putting the tool on the work.

Another piece of advice; check your tools OFTEN! I was edging my yard yesterday with one of those edging attachments for my string trimmer. As I was pushing it forward, I noticed that the housing was shifting. The three bolts that hold the housing to the gear drive were loose! I'm sure I would have been in for a treat if a couple of those bolts came loose and the plastic housing dropped onto the spinning blade.

katrah

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2010, 12:07:20 am
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2010, 10:39:42 pm »
Heya I hope your doing well!, i've come close once from not haveing any downcutting jigsaw blades, I turned the jigsaw upside down blade pointing upwards to make a neat cut.. after feeling my thumb vibrate on the back of a jigsaw blade on max speed i come to this conclusion: "If you don't respect your tools they won't respect you".

its a good thing helping people to be more aware of the real dangers involved, Get well soon!  :cheers:

mikejkelley

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 23, 2015, 11:40:02 pm
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2011, 12:39:34 am »

TheCheesyAssassin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 13, 2011, 11:45:02 am
    • DriveTime-DataTech
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 11:11:49 pm »
Heres to a speedy recovery.

I try to be safe but frequently end up rushing through things and not putting on my goggles and things like that

I used to be the same until I had a dremel disc come apart on me once sending fragments flying into my face, they were that hot one of them actually stuck to my lip and left a blister for 2 weeks. Fortunately I had my put my safety glasses on 30 seconds before, now I wear them permanently when I'm working with power tools.

I cant stress this enough. People hear it all the time and still dont do it. A good way to put it is this.

A stone on a grinder is nothing but glued together sand really.

anybody whose ever seen a grinder stone explode would definately think twice. its like rocks pounding you all over. a dremel cutting disk is much smaller, is made out of the same stuff and is running at a much higher Rpm.

The grinder stone from an air powered hand grinder is even worse, higher rpm and more likely to fall apart.

nordemoniac

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2023, 02:41:28 am
  • Weee! Hahaha...
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2011, 06:51:57 am »
I appreciate this thread. It's good to stop and think a bit sometimes.

A good saying to remember while working with power tools is:

"You don't want to put your hands where you don't want to put your penis!"

Helps me to think twice  :)

adam763

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 06, 2015, 05:37:55 pm
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2012, 03:57:47 pm »
I'd been making cabinets in my home-grown arcade cab business for a year or so and was in a hurry to build two Mortal Kombat style cabs in just a week. You tend to become nonchalant whilst working with these lethal tools:
I'd just placed my router on it's side and whilst it was still rotating at full chat, I picked up the next piece of MDF, which was ideally placed right in front of the razor-sharp router bit...
I could see the bone in my index finger and now, 5 years on, still have a very obvious zig-zag scar visible to all.
Happyy days!

rogerskevin67

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2012, 09:26:10 am
« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2012, 08:31:21 am »
Really sorry to hear about this, here is my prayer for recovery and thanks that you post this as a reminder to all of us.

Viktory2k1

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2015, 03:23:56 am
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2015, 04:06:00 am »
 I'm a little late on this but want to  know how hes doing. Ironicly, I just bought a router today! I haven't opened it yet and I also bought a 18 g air nailer/stapler. Just 8 hours ago! I have used a router before and am pretty good at safety but it's when you least expect it, it happens.
I had a good scare with my 24" 60cc chainsaw awhile back. I was helping a neighbor do some brush clearing around his horse pasture and I was wearing insulated coveralls in the dead of summer(there were lots of wasps). This saw isn't the lightest and I just shut it off and started walking out with it when I saw a wasp on my hand, I don't know what I did but I cut a large hole through to coveralls and pants and scratched my leg with a non running chainsaw! I can't imagine what would have happened if it was running.
Kind of chilling.
If it ain't broke, It's probably a good idea to take it apart anyway!

bungy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 06, 2020, 09:33:40 am
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2018, 10:31:19 pm »
It's been a long time since I've been on this board, but I still think about this thread a lot.  I bought a router nearly 10 years ago to build my MAME cabinet, and I've used it many times since for home improvement projects and such.  I just finished up a kitchen project that needed a lot of router work.  The lessons from the OP about always using two hands, and always using sharp bits are forever ingrained in my head because of this thread.  Thanks for posting this toolaa, wherever you are.  Hope all is well.

toolaa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:39:23 am
  • Work In Progress...
    • Moon Patrol Project
« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2018, 12:00:26 am »
It's been a long time since I've been on this board, but I still think about this thread a lot.  I bought a router nearly 10 years ago to build my MAME cabinet, and I've used it many times since for home improvement projects and such.  I just finished up a kitchen project that needed a lot of router work.  The lessons from the OP about always using two hands, and always using sharp bits are forever ingrained in my head because of this thread.  Thanks for posting this toolaa, wherever you are.  Hope all is well.

Thanks for keeping safety in mind at all times.   I still think about it too every day.  I remind my staff often about the dangers. 

Sadly a former employee of mine left to start his own company a few years ago.  He lost control of a 3hp Router and ran a 1-1/2 tall full bullnose bit into his left wrist.   He is left handed too.  He lost significant motion in his hand.  I visited him in the hospital and still keep in touch.  He’s doing well but we’ll but still copes with a life altering injury. 

Be Safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Super Sprint - In Progress ($150)
Moon Patrol MAME - Completed ($670)
Tic-Tac-Strike Puck Bowler - Restored ($1200)

First Time Visitors Say "Holy Cow!"

. . . . . .Priceless

per_aspera

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 11, 2019, 09:29:38 pm
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2019, 06:27:20 am »
Sorry to hear that, man! Though, happy to know that now you're OK.
I once had a kickback incident on a 10" 3hp saw. I became a bit pre-occupied and careless when cutting some 2" wide pieces of oak. In an instant a board kicked back, whizzed just past my face, and was thrown with enough force that it splintered, with part imbedded into the rafters on the ceiling (I was in the basement). Needless to say that it scarred the hell out of me.

Hydrolisk1792

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 11, 2023, 08:02:38 pm
  • Custom Cabinets and Games FTW!
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2022, 08:06:04 pm »
Something else to add to this post.  I'm the project manager at my event company and I'm constantly fabricating some kind of strange thing or game cabinet.  I was once breaking down some sheet goods for a custom cab and I became distracted from one of my employees asking me a question whilst using the skill saw and wound up nicking my left pointer finger tip.  It was also a bloody B movie show just like the OP.  The next day we all had a meeting and a small power tool safety course that I put together for the team and even the other departments were involved in the meeting!  Since then No one bothers others if they are in the middle of using any power tool, even a palm sander.  Just another momentary lapse of judgment.  Kind of funny that both the OP and I are in high positions at our companies and we were the ones to get hurt...  Just goes to show you that a job title does not make you immune from mistake!   
Hardware Guy: It is a software problem!
Software Guy: It is a hardware problem!
Me: Hold My Beer!